The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are you an ENTP and wonder why you can't get things done when working for yourself?

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
I took that John's personality test.

Got INTP (37) and ENTP (28)

Have always felt I was ENTP, but I never put much research into it besides the standard MBTI test.

DrScream

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Oct 4, 2019
not sure why it double posted my comment but unsure of how to delete this so Ill just leave this part here.

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
INTPs and ENTPs are fairly similar in their temperaments. They only really differ in that one is much more calculated (INTP) than the other (ENTP) in their interaction/planning thanks to that god damn Introverted Sensing function that ENTPs pretty much lack almost entirely...

How would you help someone caught between those two types determine which type they truly are?

Any questions to consider regarding your past or simply behavioral?

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018
BTW if someone wants a good book on MBTI, I recommend Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type, Isabel Briggs Myers, Peter B. Myers. - Basically, from the person who created the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. Typology stuff explained for non psychologists.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Was just going through your post and noticed some clear "function speak" in your sentences, so I figured I'd share:

Introverted Feeling (Fi)

Extroverted Thinking (Te) followed by Introverted Feeling (Fi)

Extroverted Thinking (Te)

Extroverted Thinking (Te)

Introverted Sensing (Si)

Extroverted Intuition (Ne), obvious lack of Introverted Thinking (Ti), and Ne again.

Te, Si.

Possible MBTI types: ENFP
Oops wrong reply my bad!

Last edited:

HabitsCampaigner

Jim Miotke
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jan 6, 2021
Monterey, CA
Thanks so much Simon! It’s fun gaining understanding. And it’s a great way to further learn these cognitive functions, which can be confusing at first.

One thing I realized today: in the past, I’ve used Marie Kondo’s ‘Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up’ (does this spark joy?) to clear out a lot of stuff.

I don’t have to do so much of that anymore; having cyclic interests in so many things, hi can keep some of the tools and equipment that I use for these various hobbies :)

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Hey I've come to a similar conclusion.

But to rectify just one bit, I believe your interest is sort-of cyclic, not ephemeral, one day shining bright to never be seen again.

You curiosity about a subject is like the seasons it will come again, not like a shooting star. You have to take that into account, creating way to easily get back on track when the season come again. By being overly pessimistic you fail to see lines of play, by thinking your interest has vanished for good, you might take actions that are akin to auto-sabottage while thinking your doing the right thing.

One time-period you care about A, the next one about B, the next one about C, the next one about A again...

So the idea is to build a system that will be able to go on during the time period you don't want to put maximal effort in it.

From the way I see it (and I'm pretty sure there's more perspectives than those, I just don't see those yet)

The system you build need to (1.) have a system of checkpoint, (2.) some inertia or resilience built into it.

To solve (1.) the question is:

Why does it matter? The easiesr it is to build the system incrementally, the more likely you are to keep coming back to it and make progress here and then.

To solve (2.) the question is:

Why does it matter?
First, if it stops working if you don't work on it, you fill guilt and guilt will criple you. Second, you it means every time you come back to it, you can improve the system and it will work better and better as time passes.

Some generic idea:

In term of "passive" income,
Invest in Real Estate and find a way to rent it so you are cashflow positive (do the maths!) on the transaction.
Repeat, fine-tune.
Why it works: one piece at a time your building a portfolio that will keep growing.

In term of funnel acquisition,
- maybe focus more on building organic growth thanks to automated system (like SEO) that can keep pushing lead into the funnel while you sleep instead of focusing on stuff that requires micro-management (like FB ads or affilitation).
- just buy the lead to somebody who know how to do lead acquisition so that you can just wire a certain amount automatically every month and keep the leads coming.
- set up shop in a market place that will keep leads flowing in exchange of a comission etc...

In term of funnel sales,
- maybe focus more on setting up a simple automated sales funnels that you can optimize every now and then.

Also some line of work have checkpoints built-in the progression

For example, freelancing, at the beginning it's hard but the more you do it and learn about it the more you realize you will never "go-back". The mindset and set of skills you learn will keep you from that.

So maybe you can start freelancing on the side, learn the rope, learn new skills thanks to freelancing and the variety of situation it offers (in contrast with a job where it's same ol' same ol' everyday)

Still with freelancing, you can sell retainers to client, (which means recurring income with high return-on-time invested).

Parting thoughts
By no mean it's an exhaustiv list of the options you have, this is just a sample from my own limited understanding of the subject. I just hope to help you see a new perspective that you can explore on your own, so that you can find the answers that fit your game of life.

Hope it helps,

Rémi
Thank You Remiremi! You gave me some good ideas!

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
Hey @Remiremi, I have a problem and I hope you could give me advice on how I can fix it. I have noticed that I usually think about doing stuff (like reading for my exam, creating that new game, comic etc) but end up not doing anything.

I just daydream, waste my time checking YouTube, quora, reddit and check meaningless stuff on my phone (if you are going to advice me to get rid of my phone, I don't know how I going to do that bcuz each time am without a phone, it feels like I am dying slowly lol).

When I was younger I didn't really have this problem. I usually created my comics, built that one robot (which I am sure didn't work), 3d modelling daily but now I do absolutely nothing.

Also I am very inconsistent. I had a gaming blog which only had 10 blog posts in 6 months. I eventually stopped it and I felt like I would have made a couple of money if I was consistent tho.

Another question, do you think blogging is for we, ENTPs since we have problem being consistent?

I know this all seem like a rant or might even sound like I am very very lazy which I am starting to believe but I hope you will be able to help me out or anybody here can too because I feel like I am wasting my potential.

Last edited:

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I'm still struggling with finishing projects, f*ck!

I really need to get something concrete off the ground so that I can find that freedom to travel, there's people I really want to go see

So I'm using that as motiviation, but as usual! I start, start, start, start, start and there's a bunch of half-assed projects there again

ARGH!

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018
So I'm using that as motiviation, but as usual! I start, start, start, start, start and there's a bunch of half-assed projects there again
Welcome to the club. I even had to make a list this morning, containing 7 tasks to do and ideas to explore today, as it was driving me nuts straight from bed... and at least writing them down helps getting them out of the way for a while.

You curiosity about a subject is like the seasons it will come again, not like a shooting star. You have to take that into account, creating way to easily get back on track when the season come again. By being overly pessimistic you fail to see lines of play, by thinking your interest has vanished for good, you might take actions that are akin to auto-sabottage while thinking your doing the right thing.

One time-period you care about A, the next one about B, the next one about C, the next one about A again...

So the idea is to build a system that will be able to go on during the time period you don't want to put maximal effort in it.

From the way I see it (and I'm pretty sure there's more perspectives than those, I just don't see those yet)

The system you build need to (1.) have a system of checkpoint, (2.) some inertia or resilience built into it.

To solve (1.) the question is:
Why does it matter? The easiesr it is to build the system incrementally, the more likely you are to keep coming back to it and make progress here and then.

To solve (2.) the question is:
Why does it matter?
First, if it stops working if you don't work on it, you fill guilt and guilt will criple you. Second, you it means every time you come back to it, you can improve the system and it will work better and better as time passes.
Thanks for this! I think this is my case too, as I've got a "pool" of topics that keep rotating in interest.

The issue I struggle the most is that the majority of them are things I want to learn, rather than things that get me closer to not having to work again if I choose to. That, and the actual urge, as I no longer enjoy working for direct clients and I'd rather build an actual software product that gives me time freedom sooner than later. But distractions keep getting in the way, there is always something exciting to explore or toy with :)

When I was younger I didn't really have this problem. I usually created my comics, built that one robot (which I am sure didn't work), 3d modelling daily but now I do absolutely nothing.
Just a guess, but as I noticed this too: maybe as you get older, you realise your time is limited and get in a dead lock of self-doubt as you don't want to waste your time on the wrong things, but at the same time you can't decide on what to work on.

I used to be a happy software dev, learning tons of stuff and working at companies where I could grow. Eventually, I realised that'll end up in being kicked out of the market at some point when I'm too old (a.k.a. have too much experience for them to pay for) or it's just my time to go and all I've achieved is to be a great employee to make someone else rich.

Aging and starting to see the "doors to Hell" helps prioritising, but can get you in an indecision trap too.

ValueSystems

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
Can confirm it applies to INTP as well. Or at least me.
This... has been crazy interesting, I'm printing it right now.
Many thanks!

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018
I know this might go a bit against the original idea of this post, but does anyone have a lightweight productivity system that works? I tried to adapt this GOLD! - Achieve Laser FOCUS + PRODUCTIVITY With The System Legendary Fastlaners Use... but I couldn't stick. Maybe it just needs some more adjustment for my specific case.

I'm trying to come up with what a "productivity system" would need. I'm talking about the "big picture" side, not (necessarily) specific to a particular project. On top of my head:
  1. Makes sure that you aren't all over the place and fail to take action due to being too scattered
  2. Helps keeping track of progress
  3. Helps keeping track of those million ideas you start but don't quite finish (yet)
  4. Doesn't distract too much from the actual work and the spontaneity of explore and exploit
  5. Not sure about this one, but probably helps if it allows mixing tasks from different projects, so you don't lose track of anything

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Really enjoyed reading the original post on this thread, good work OP. Looks like I'm a INTP-T aka Turbulent Logician. While I agree with Oso personality tests are generally BS this seems spot on. Great at creating and launching, living in own world always thinking, love to be social but crave to be alone to tinker and self ponder, lack of patience leads to all sorts of issues. Things I'm currently working on while addressing my list of addictive behavior.

DWX

Getting on with it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Nov 19, 2015
UK
Yeah, you're all over the place. I've been there, too.

Try this one: Personality Type Finder - Michael Caloz Coaching

It's not perfect either but there are practical examples for each question, so that might be easier for you to navigate through. It also tests your cognitive functions.
Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed this test.

The examples definitely helped me with answering the questions and I liked that it explained the inner workings of this way of typing. Don't get me wrong, I still haven't fully grasped the context, but I'll get there. My results came in as:

ISFP - Fi Se Ni Te - (72 points)
INFP - Fi Ne Si Te - (66 points)
ENFP - Ne Fi Te Si - (57 points)
INTJ - Ni Te Fi Se - (55 points)
ESFP - Se Fi Te Ni - (55 points)

ENTP came in at #7 (46 points), only to be outranked by INTP at 50 points. I'm going to go through the top few results to decipher which one I align more closely with and see where it takes me. Great share, cheers!

UPDATE: After some more digging, I'm starting to feel like I align more with ENFP/INFP, though, I can also relate to INTP a fair bit.

I feel you a lot.

The thing that bugs me a lot in this thread is the fact that ENTJ=Productive alpha and ENTP=unfocused bum, which I think is very wrong.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not an ENTP and they indeed likely have a harder time than ENTJs, however ENTJs definitely aren't always as portrayed here. I know that since I am one and I figured my type out after months of reflection and research, not some superficial test that only takes like 3 things in account.

And that's the thing with you in your case. You could be the most productive person in your city and you could still be an INxP (l'm mostly joking, I love INFPs). You have to read up on functions, grips, shadow types etc. and simply see where you see yourself the most in.
Now, tests can be a starting point and they certainly were for me, but don't use them as the only tool.

And I honestly think that ENTJ could be the case with you too. Maybe look up the "ENTJ Fi grip". If you fit that criteria, you could likely be one (or an ESTJ).

And also, keep in mind that Mbti, enneagram and blablabla aren't that important imo, although maybe I'm just saying that since I already know bunch about it and myself.

Yeah, man, this rabbit hole has certainly taken me down some dead ends, but I feel like I'm making progress. I'll definitely read up more on the functions, grips, and shadow types. Honestly, this is like learning another language.

Do you guys recommend any websites/YT channels/resources to study?

Last edited:

GoldenGlow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 23, 2023
The 16 personalities test is a fad and highly inaccurate.

Jung's work on cognitive functions is life changing once you understand how your brain works and why you think the way you think.

Of course, it's considered little more than pseudoscience, but if that's true then it's weird how I am able to accurately guess people's personality type 90-95% of the time.

Two tests worth taking:

The most accurate assessor of character is life.
Character is built through discipline and sacrifice, not by taking online tests.
Building that character and mental image of yourself overcoming obstacles will change your results on these tests.
Maybe it will result in you adding in your own biases.
But that image in your head is much more accurate than the original result once you become that character in your mind.
Then it becomes your authentic self.

Last edited:

starttoday123

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 7, 2022
USA
I definitely agree about the MBTI limitations, if nothing it’s not bad for small talk since so many people have learned something about it

It’s definitely true it’s difficult for N types to talk to S types though. Has anyone figured that out?

It’s also helpful to know the difference between Thinking and Feeling and know how to find a balance, more so as a concept

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
Depressed/assertive ENTPs type themselves as INTJ.
This gave me hope so I decided to try the test a few more times, in varying headspaces and emotional states.
I then ran them back ensuring I was in the same headspace/emotional state for each test (AKA: my "control group").

I keep F*cking landing on INTJ. I hate it.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
This gave me hope so I decided to try the test a few more times, in varying headspaces and emotional states.
I then ran them back ensuring I was in the same headspace/emotional state for each test (AKA: my "control group").

I keep F*cking landing on INTJ. I hate it.

What do you hate about being an INTJ?

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018
not all INTJs are Elon
I've always been very confused by Elon. He doesn't look like an INTJ at all to me, more like an INTP (I know a few of each type). But people who have a deeper knowledge of MBTI tend to type him as an INTJ, so I must be wrong. I just find him too childish and clowny to be an INTJ. Not to mention building so many different companies screams Ne. But I might be missing something else. He is a weirdo anyway, so maybe just difficult to type.

GoldenGlow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 23, 2023
I still don't rigidly believe in the MBTI, but I've found the main post here to be helpful.
Here are my results from the two personality tests:

John's Test

68%ENFP
9%INTP
8%INFP
6%ENTP
2%ENFJ

Keys to Cognition

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti):
Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne):
Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.
If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENTP, or INFJ

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************** (17.2)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************ (24.8)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************************************* (45.2)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************************************* (45.2)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) **************** (16.8)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************* (33.2)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ***************************** (29.2)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************** (29.2)
average use

flyingguitarist

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 27, 2021
Yeah, you're all over the place. I've been there, too.

Try this one: Personality Type Finder - Michael Caloz Coaching

It's not perfect either but there are practical examples for each question, so that might be easier for you to navigate through. It also tests your cognitive functions.
Thanks For the test , I knew it , I completely resonates than other types, I have the same problems as ENTP, ALso whenever i Took those kind of tests I would be all over the place (intp , entp, infj, istp , intj,enfp...)

Attachments

• mbticomplex.png
    mbticomplex.png
    524.3 KB · Views: 2
  • jj.png
    jj.png
    558.6 KB · Views: 1

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
Thanks For the test , I knew it , I completely resonates than other types, I have the same problems as ENTP, ALso whenever i Took those kind of tests I would be all over the place (intp , entp, infj, istp , intj,enfp...)
I feel this is a sign you're giving inconsistent answers. Similar to the personality tests employers give to candidates before potentially hiring them.

It'll tell you you're all over the place if in question A you say you'd do the "humanitarian thing," but in question B you say you'd do the "logical thing."

This is also why I felt it was important to take the test(s) multiple times. Your emotional state at the time of taking the test will also skew the results, so it's better to have multiple data sets. Ultimately, however, if you want consistent results, then I encourage you to slow down while taking the test. Read each question fully, genuinely analyze within yourself, and then answer honestly. A robot giving you a quiz isn't going to judge you if you choose 1M$ over saving a stranger's life. You do you.

If you do this, you'll get the answers you seek. Of course, you should take all of this with a grain of salt because people are multi-faceted, and a test isn't going to tell you what you are or are not capable of accomplishing. That said, understanding ourselves as the creatures we are is one of the strongest pieces of knowledge we'll ever be able to obtain. So, stay curious.

Cheers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.