The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Arbitrage and the Mindset of the Masses

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
Here is a link to an article about a hustler who raids the Walmart clearance aisle and resells on Amazon. I made the mistake of reading through the comments which immediately got my blood boiling. People left and right shitting on him for it, calling him a scammer and rip-off artist. All the while blaming the Canadian government, Wal-Mart and Amazon for letting it happen.

28-year-old's company makes millions buying from Walmart and selling on Amazon

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
My favorites are the one's saying that only lazy people buy from him, otherwise "they would be shopping the clearance aisle themselves".

As if convenience and saving time weren't a thing worthy of spending money on.

(it's amazing the lengths I'll go to never go to Wal-Mart!)

And

The one's saying this should be illegal.

Because we absolutely need more laws that restrict our freedoms, cost the taxpayers for enforcement, and further positions the government (any government) as our source of morality.

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu
Haha, that's a nice hustle right there. Regarding the comment section, people are far too negative! Why are people upset? Shouldn't they try learning how to do it at their local walmart? Faulty logic...
Maybe I should!!

Or somewhere else!

LeoistheSun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Oct 3, 2017
Honolulu

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
People are just miffed cuz it seems simple and they wanna believe they could do it
It actually isn't as simple as he makes it look though
Btw this isn't new, people go into clothing store sales and buy a ton of good jeans for cheap then sell them
Its just a bit more of an agile way to sell certain goods
The fact hes making millions is pretty good though
He definately sniffed out a sweet spot

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
People are just miffed cuz it seems simple and they wanna believe they could do it
Btw this isn't new, people go into clothing store sales and buy a ton of good jeans for cheap then sell them
Its just a bit more of an agile way to sell certain goods
The fact hes making millions is pretty good though
He definately sniffed out a sweet spot
I like the article!
It proves that unsold goods can still have a buyer somewhere else. And the guy found it!

Understandably, big stores might not sell everything even if they have a clearance sale. I found several mom and pop stores around my hometown, mostly clothes shops. They sold clothes which the bigger and more branded stores in the mega-cities or the capital might not be able to sell, and just transferred them over.

You can say this cuts down a lot of wastage of unsold goods, and allows some bucks to be earned too! Plus the main seller, and the lower distributor profit.

Yes, it IS a sweet spot.

But jeesh...the comments are REALLY negative. Pretty toxic...

Thoelk

Artificial Psycho
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Feb 18, 2014
Belgium
I like the article!
But jeesh...the comments are REALLY negative. Pretty toxic...

As someone mentioned, probably out of jealousy. It "looks/sounds" so simple and they probably went like: "Why didn't I come up with that?".
But it's a great story. Hustling simply works. Making it a real system is a total different league, so props to him!

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I see it like, he is an efficiency marvel.
Imagine him working for your store, and he sells off stuff online you are having to massively discount in store!!!
You'd be like "holy crap, nice work"

Somehow people are like "aw geez hes stealing profit margin from good old walmart"
Like, what? You want him employed working at 7 bucks an hour with that hustle?
He just sells it for market value, so no ones getting screwed or anything, I bet everyone is happy

This article has actually got my interest piqued in online sales
It seems like a true marketplace unlike you would find anywhere else
Truly truly fascinating

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada

There were a few comments made along the lines of "The secret is out, now his business will suffer cause everyone will be doing this!"

1st, it is not a new concept.
2nd, a very small % of people who read the article would even attempt to do it.
3rd, of those that do, most would quit very early on in the game when they realize that there is actual work involved.

As long as he keeps hustling, he will be successful.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Yeah @cmor16 I totally agree, no one is going to bust their hump doing this
I checked out his blog, and it is all pretty straight forward stuff, he just uses the app to estimate profit margin, buy 6 of each product
Uses amazons fulfilment process, and sets prices basically at the lowest price others offer except maybe at a 1% markup
In one trip he might make a couple hundred dollars for a couple hours work
But it IS work and it does have complexities to it relative to what an average joe will be willing to handle by himself
And given the fact you have to shell out cash to buy inventory... like spending 16 000 dollars a month on inventory to get 9 000 in profit, most guys would get shakey knees. Not everyone is going to volunteer to do this, and thats assuming they even understand how to do it. I bet most people think you buy it at walmart and it magically sells itself somewhere with no risk involved. But before it sells itself you gotta set it up right and be on the ball about it, so most people couldn't do it.

The added genius was that he could scale it, and now he's set for life with his FU money
Fine fine work

Last edited:

HIPPYOWL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Aug 5, 2017
Los Angeles CA
Yeah @cmor16 I totally agree, no one is going to bust their hump doing this
I checked out his blog, and it is all pretty straight forward stuff, he just uses the app to estimate profit margin, buy 6 of each product
Uses amazons fulfilment process, and sets prices basically at the lowest price others offer except maybe at a 1% markup
In one trip he might make a couple hundred dollars for a couple hours work
But it IS work and it does have complexities to it relative to what an average joe will be willing to handle by himself
And given the fact you have to shell out cash to buy inventory... like spending 16 000 dollars a month on inventory to get 9 000 in profit, most guys would get shakey knees. Not everyone is going to volunteer to do this, and thats assuming they even understand how to do it. I bet most people think you buy it at walmart and it magically sells itself somewhere with no risk involved. But before it sells itself you gotta set it up right and be on the ball about it, so most people couldn't do it.

The added genius was that he could scale it, and now he's set for life with his FU money
Fine fine work

I do this and its pretty much what you said. Its hard and can be complex with software, reading graphs.. but its easy once you have a system in place. Its not fastlane and is straight arbitrage and theres risk.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
damn didn't expect the comments to be what they were.... what happen to just being happy for a fellow man who found a way out.
don't we all want the same thing? this guy isn't hurting anyone.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
damn didn't expect the comments to be what they were.... what happen to just being happy for a fellow man who found a way out.
don't we all want the same thing? this guy isn't hurting anyone.
51088be48b9362211eb031932ff12bc2.jpg

Mr.Brandtastic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Sep 27, 2017
Parents' House
I made the mistake of reading through the comments which immediately got my blood boiling.

Consumer Mindset: Consume, consume, consume. It's all about me. I'm the only one that matters. The only thing I look for is price and nothing else. This guy is a scam artist hitting me right in the wallet. Wah! Wah! Government needs to stop this!

Producer Mindset: I'm about helping people get the products they need. The price I can charge is a tool, not what I base my selling in. Things like convenience and time-saving can be far more important than price. This guy is filling an unmet need and is doing a great hustle making big bucks. I hope he keeps moving along. I might try this if I don't already have a hustle going on.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.