The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Appliance Flipping

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
For anyone interested in doing this.... update on the roller vs spray paint. I got sick for 3 weeks partly because of the fumes I was taking in so while I was sick I decided to research rolling the paint on. I saw that it was possible and started doing it. 2 weeks in to it and I LOVE it. Once I learned how to not leave roller marks they look better than new! Oh so shiny. And it seems to dry much faster which means faster turn around which means more profit.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Excalibur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 6, 2010
Nampa, ID
Well, the scrap yard would probably pay you about $10 or so per unit so you would lose a lot of money fast. If you bought a set for $125 and you sold them at the scrap yard for $20 you would lose $105 in your first hour of being in business. lol

I 2nd this. I deal in scrap metal. You'll lose money hauling them to scrap. One idea might be to see if the yard will let you buy appliances? You'd want to get them before the claw does.

My inventory comes from ads offering free scrap metal removal. Many times it's a stupid simple part.

With that said....anyone here know if I can get the MOTOR pulley for a Whirlpool Cabrio? I don't have the model # at the moment. I ordered a pulley that said it would work, but it got here and it's for a V belt. I am after the grooved pulley. Had another Cabrio before it. All it needed was a splutch and belt. This needs splutch, belt and pulley.

Sidehustler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 21, 2017
Elizabethtown
Most guys will look on Craigslist and try to buy from there. Sometimes it takes an hour to do that and sometimes it takes 2 weeks. Then you have to drive to where it is located.... try your best to make sure it works good.... then load it and bring it back. So not only would you lost $105 you would also lose all that time.

I Have been reading all of you guys' posts and yes the wheels are turning. lol I am getting ready to read the second page of the thread now. I wanted to ask a question to @minivanman you say you dont use craigslist, I only use craigslist. But it is very hard to keep inventory and find good deals. I used to do this last year all summer to pay the bills while I was djing. I would often find myself with a ton of emails with nothing to sell. How are you guys getting inventory. I only have a couple hundred bucks to start out with.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
What state are you in? What I've learned is that a ton of emails = 1 sale. Emails aren't very reliable in this business most of the time.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Some potential marketing insight...Maybe the Washing Machines Aren't USED so much as VINTAGE

I HATE the new washing machines. Hate them. The "energy efficient models" take forever to wash a single load of clothes, which come out only half clean. When I moved into a new house, I paid double the going rate to buy a "non-efficient" washing machine. (This is a new washing machine, made to the older specs.) I could've bought a new high-efficiency machine for $450. However, I paid nearly $900 for a new "vintage" one.

All this to say, I think price isn't the only selling point when selling old washing machines. Lots of people hate the new government-mandated "energy-efficient" styles, but are unwilling to pay nearly $900 for a brand-new, old-fashioned design.

Machines made before 1996 made customers a lot happier, as illustrated in the following article:

How Washington Ruined Your Washing Machine

http://emp.byui.edu/MarrottR/101_WashingMachinesRuined_SKazman-WSJ.pdf

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
What exactly is a new machine made to old specs? I don't understand.

As for the new machines..... yes, they suck. Below I will tell you how to wash with as much water as you want in some machines. The article is a little mis-leading or maybe just confusing. Until January 31, 2006 I could buy a washer that did exactly like one did in 1979. Just because they asked people that had bought the 'new' type doesn't mean that they had stopped making the old type yet. Friday I sold a Kenmore made in 2006 that worked just like they did in 1976 basically. But I'll give you the lowdown on the older machines for sale and this is going to be honest so if anyone reading this doesn't like it... sorry, it's the way of the appliance world, get over it. Most smaller guys selling washers and dryers are mexicans and they don't know how to work on the newer types of machines.... YET. So, in order for me to buy a set of the older ones, they cost more.... supply and demand. There isn't much demand for computerized ones from the smaller guys right now so I get them cheaper than the mexican guys get the old ones so I can sell a 2016 Kenmore washer & dryer cheaper than they can sell a 2006 Kenmore washer & dryer. But, pretty soon that MUST change because eventually there will be so few older machines out there. The mexican guys say that when the time comes they will learn how to work on them. I guess we will see. If you want to wash with more water, look and see if your machine has a setting for BULKY or maybe Sheets or Bedding. That usually fills the washer up with water. Also if you don't like the lid lock feature, go to a used appliance guy and ask for the part of the lid lock that is attached to the lid and fits in the hole on your washer. Go home, place that in the hole where the lid switch is and leave it there. Now you can lift the lid anytime you want. That's how I check to see if they are working correctly.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair

Mostly, it's a washing machine that isn't high-efficiency, so it uses the same amount of water that those older machines did. As a result, the clothes get cleaner, and the loads don't take nearly as long. If you read the reviews for this, you'll get a sense of why people are willing to spend several times the money to have one of these. Hope this helps clarify!
Amazon.com: Speed Queen AWNE92SP113TW01: Topload Washer: Appliances

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio

As for the new machines..... yes, they suck. Below I will tell you how to wash with as much water as you want in some machines. The article is a little mis-leading or maybe just confusing. Until January 31, 2006 I could buy a washer that did exactly like one did in 1979. Just because they asked people that had bought the 'new' type doesn't mean that they had stopped making the old type yet. Friday I sold a Kenmore made in 2006 that worked just like they did in 1976 basically. But I'll give you the lowdown on the older machines for sale and this is going to be honest so if anyone reading this doesn't like it... sorry, it's the way of the appliance world, get over it. Most smaller guys selling washers and dryers are mexicans and they don't know how to work on the newer types of machines.... YET. So, in order for me to buy a set of the older ones, they cost more.... supply and demand. There isn't much demand for computerized ones from the smaller guys right now so I get them cheaper than the mexican guys get the old ones so I can sell a 2016 Kenmore washer & dryer cheaper than they can sell a 2006 Kenmore washer & dryer. But, pretty soon that MUST change because eventually there will be so few older machines out there. The mexican guys say that when the time comes they will learn how to work on them. I guess we will see. If you want to wash with more water, look and see if your machine has a setting for BULKY or maybe Sheets or Bedding. That usually fills the washer up with water. Also if you don't like the lid lock feature, go to a used appliance guy and ask for the part of the lid lock that is attached to the lid and fits in the hole on your washer. Go home, place that in the hole where the lid switch is and leave it there. Now you can lift the lid anytime you want. That's how I check to see if they are working correctly.
Blah blah blah. I lost a business bc Mexicans under bid me. I swear sometimes their total bids were equal to mine just in materials alone. Not ev n including labor. Not sure how they did it. I had insurance. They didn't. I paid taxes. They didn't. I paid my ee's 15 - 20 / hr. They didn't. My shit was legit. They under cut me big time. But. At the end of the day, their cheap a$$ quality was equivalent to the prima donnas I was paying. No hard feelings on my part. They just did it cheaper and faster then I could. Are they still in business? Yep.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Mostly, it's a washing machine that isn't high-efficiency, so it uses the same amount of water that those older machines did. As a result, the clothes get cleaner, and the loads don't take nearly as long. If you read the reviews for this, you'll get a sense of why people are willing to spend several times the money to have one of these. Hope this helps
clarify!
Amazon.com: Speed Queen AWNE92SP113TW01: Topload Washer: Appliances

So how are they getting by making this machine? I didn't think it was legal. But now to a world we can control.... why on earth would anyone pay that much when you can buy an old one that is refurbished for $300-$400? Does not make any sense to me. Heck, I can have my guy that works on them restore you a 1970's model for $500 and ship it to you for cheaper. lol That old Kenmore set that I sold on Friday should last the buyers 15-20+ more years.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I am in Pennsylvania, Do you mean just emailing everyone selling appliances?

I figured you was in Pennsylvania but we have a Elizabethtown by Texas Motor Speedway. No, I mean if you have people from Craigslist email you about buying your washer & dryer that you have for sale you might get 1 person in 100 that actually buys what you have for sale. Send me a private message.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Blah blah blah. I lost a business bc Mexicans under bid me. I swear sometimes their total bids were equal to mine just in materials alone. Not ev n including labor. Not sure how they did it. I had insurance. They didn't. I paid taxes. They didn't. I paid my ee's 15 - 20 / hr. They didn't. My shit was legit. They under cut me big time. But. At the end of the day, their cheap a$$ quality was equivalent to the prima donnas I was paying. No hard feelings on my part. They just did it cheaper and faster then I could. Are they still in business? Yep.

Well, that wasn't meant to be about mexicans. I owned a house cleaning business for 19 years.... I can talk all day about mexicans taking business. lol About them being legal as far as the tax guy goes.... plenty of people of all races that are not legal, not just mexicans. I know about them in the appliance business because we all know each other. I do this to keep me out of trouble right now so they aren't a big deal to me. I have their best mexican guy on my payroll so now he doesn't help them, he works on my stuff only. :)

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
So how are they getting by making this machine? I didn't think it was legal. But now to a world we can control.... why on earth would anyone pay that much when you can buy an old one that is refurbished for $300-$400?

From what I understand, they can make them because they don't produce as many compared to the bigger names. (Not sure how this works, just relaying what I was told.) You're correct that searching for a refurbished one would've saved money short-term. But long-term, I wanted something with zero wear-and-tear, and so far, I've been happy with the purchase.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I'm still a little confused because that washer has a computer board but as long as your happy that's all that matters. It's no secret that Speed Queen is still the best washer made. I'm sure some day Whirlpool will end up buying them like they did Kenmore and Maytag.

Sidehustler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
May 21, 2017
Elizabethtown
UPDATE: I've decided to post ads saying i pick up appliances for free. I've gotten a good amount of calls now the issue is testing and fixing them. I work out of 20x20 space with no water and 2 electric plugs. I pay 150$ a month but this poses a bit of an issue for me to ensure im giving out a quality product. Any suggestions?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
UPDATE: I've decided to post ads saying i pick up appliances for free. I've gotten a good amount of calls now the issue is testing and fixing them. I work out of 20x20 space with no water and 2 electric plugs. I pay 150$ a month but this poses a bit of an issue for me to ensure im giving out a quality product. Any suggestions?

That's all junk and wasted time going around picking up the junk. I'll be back later and continue our private message. :)

HustleHard

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Oct 2, 2016
Hopefully this can help some people out...

https://recraigslist.com/2013/03/10-best-things-to-buy-and-sell-on-craigslist/

https://recraigslist.com/2011/10/i-earn-my-entire-living-on-craigslist-ask-me-almost-anything/

The Craigslist Hustle- Tax Evasion at its Finest!

Flipping Appliances for Profit

Check out this guy's you tube chanel
View: https://youtu.be/yxckW-eUJEc

Mikeyjd's Appliance Sales and Repair Journey

Make a Modest Living or Side Cash Buying and Selling Used Appliances

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...-used-appliances-one-man-makes-2000-week/amp/

http://hustlerskungfu.com/how-to-make-a-million-dollars-a-year-on-craigslist/

https://appliantology.org/blogs/entry/972-servicing-vs-appliance-sales-i-may-have-found-an-answer/

If you really get into selling used appliances, Google wholesale used appliance warehouse and buy them in bulk to resale. Get them delivered or rent a Uhaul truck and pick them up.

http://nmbwholesale.com/wholesale-appliances/ Example

Below I will copy and paste an email exchange I had with a very successful used appliance dealer...

Hi my name is Adam and I'm interested in the used appliance business, if you could answer a few questions for me when it is convenient for you I would really appreciate it. I live in the south east so no worries about competition.

I would have messaged you on appliantology but it seems they won't let me without a subscription. Anyway it seems from reading a couple posts by you in the fast lane forum that you took the appliance school training program by Ryan from recraigslist.

Did that program really seem to help you and would you recommend I look into that for myself?

Do you know if I could join the forum at applianceschool even without a subscription to the program?

When first starting out would you recommend concentrating mostly on selling washers and dryers or do you think stoves and fridges are worth doing as well?

Where do you get your appliances for resale from? Mainly craigslist and offerup? Or appliance wholesale warehouses? Contracts with appartment complexes for their used units? Other?

When you first started out where did you store your inventory?

Do you think now that you have a shop you'll be able to make a lot more sales as opposed to just selling on craigslist and offerup?

Do you think that you close a lot more sales by offering a warrenty as opposed to if you didn't offer one?

Have you thought about renting out your appliances in addition to selling them?

Do you think adding a service division to your business would be profitable?

Did you first start out selling appliances under the table for cash and then eventually register your business as an LLC or other structure?

When you deliver appliances on your own and have to deliver up or down stairs do you use a stair climbing dolly such as one of these below?

http://www.m3-shs.com/product-line.html. looks like some really nice ones here

http://m.northerntool.com/products/...MjkOyCV5L7lR6NNTsZtAEDvDs5yusR1Ub3RoCDG3w_wcB

Any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

His answer:

The program is a very good baseline. A lot of the material is covered in his blog (maybe 70%), but there's some good stuff in the material. I think it's easily worth the nominal $100 cost considering how lucrative this business can be. You're likely to cover it in the first week just based on time savings if you value your time at $20/hour. The forum is probably the most valuable part of the membership and is for members only as far as I know.

I think it's easier to get started with washers and dryers from a refurbishing standpoint, mainly because the Whirlpool direct drive system is so plentiful and easy to master. I started on stoves and fridges by flipping working ones. You can make a lot of money by just cleaning/transporting them.

I started getting everything on Craigslist. Now I only search specific machines off craigslist. I have an app that searches for stainless ones (along with specific niche vehicles I like to flip). I mostly buy from a few wholesale relationships I've cultivated along with a network of about a dozen scrappers that bring stuff to my shop.

I started out in a single bay of my dad's pole barn. I spent about 6 months leasing his 3 car garage at $300 per month. After that, I rented several storage units before we got our current shop location.

The shop has made a difference in sales, but I think it's mainly because we're able to process a lot of units compared to when we were in a smaller location. I think I could do the same thing out of a pole barn if the location was convenient enough for people.

The warranty has been very key in landing several of my largest repeat customers. I have one account that's purchased $25k worth in the last 18 months and it's hard to say if they would have been willing to even give me a chance without the warranty being involved.

I've considered a rental program and even had a proposal drawn up for a larger client who owns roughly 25 rentals. In the end, my monthly price was higher than what he wanted to pay. I'd be willing to do it, but the terms have to make sense.

I advertise in home repairs and service. It makes up about 10% of my business, which is how I prefer it. I clear about $80/hour including drive time on my service calls, whereas I'm netting closer to $120/ on my sales. The service business, in large part only exists, to support the sales business and increase networking.

Originally I ran my appliances through my flooring LLC, which allowed me to take credit cards and checks immediately without worrying about text liabilities. Of course, there are always cash deals in this type of business. I currently have a separate LLC for my appliance business.

I like to have 2 people any time an appliance is going upstairs or in a basement. You get into a lot of situations that won't allow for the use of a dolly. Unless you're a champion power lifter you're probably going to need a 2nd hand at least occasionally if you offer installation services.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
If anyone is in the DFW area and sells refrigerators please send me a private message. I get a ton of interest in refrigerators but I do not sell them. As with anything, the minute I put out the call for refrigerators, the phone will stop ringing. lol

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
And then you get a text atleast once a week saying, "My dryer isn't working very good. It takes 2 times to get my clothes dry.". Mind you, I give them a 4 page operator error sheet with every set sold. So here is what I've started telling them and is what I just told a guy that texted me. Check the breaker at your breaker box. Take everything out of the dryer. Set timer on 50 minutes. Push start button. Let the dryer run for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes open door. Touch your palm on the inside back of the dryer drum. Is it cold? Text me.

And a little part I don't tell them but I always want to say.... if it burns your hand you f'ing idiot that means your dryer is working!!!

mikeyjd

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Dec 10, 2015
Michigan
I remember you "ken more". Curious what the post content that got you banned was. I asked him why you disappeared, as I found you one of the more engaging and interesting people on the forum. He said you wanted to post something that would have hurt his business. I was always curious what that was.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I remember you "ken more". Curious what the post content that got you banned was. I asked him why you disappeared, as I found you one of the more engaging and interesting people on the forum. He said you wanted to post something that would have hurt his business. I was always curious what that was.

He did? lmao I responded to your private message. I'm puzzled how it would have hurt his business. But.... if it will actually hurt his business, I will make a website and tell the whole world!! Now that is an idea but I'm just not sure it would hurt his business, I think it would help his business. Now that you brought this up I think I will make my own FREE appliance school and tell people all the outdated things he tells them and then explain WHY it is outdated and why he is a scam. I think I'll get on that in my spare time..... good idea. lol

I really like this idea. I'm going to do it :)

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I can't tell my secret. But you know if he banned me for it.... it must be GOOD!!! :) lol I got it figured out like no one sells on the internet!

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Ok, I'm a lil slow. lol So while I was thinking that he was talking about I'd hurt his appliance school business, what he was actually talking about is that if I told everyone how I was selling so many, I would hurt his actual appliance sales. I guess I was caught in tunnel vision. But like I said.... he didn't have to be a dick about it. If he would have asked me not to tell everyone, I wouldn't have told them.

So for any new people that will read this in the future, I am going to build a free appliance school and Mikeyjd is going to help me give help to everyone to work on washers & dryers. It might take a few months for me to get it together.

HustleHard

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Oct 2, 2016
I'm just going to unload some stuff I've read online about the appliance business... and some email exchanges I've had...

Idea for you: Put up business flyers advertising that you sell used washers and dryers at such and such a price, around businesses and stores near laundry mats.

Make a Modest Living or Side Cash Buying and Selling Used Appliances This guy uses a generator to test appliances, that may work for you as well and cut down on your electric bill, or maybe not considering gas cost. Something to consider though.
I tested the appliances in the storage yard by wheeling a generator out in front of my unit. I had one with a 220v socket, and the generator ran me about $500 bucks, but luckily when I was through with it, it also resold for $500. These things have a nice resale value, same with dollys and pick-up trucks. I spliced a 220v extension cord with a variety of 3 and 4 prong outlets, which made me nervous at first but as long as you follow good electricity safety habits, you'll be fine. This allowed me to both test the units I was buying and also demonstrate them for people. No one was weirded out by the generator, miraculously.
Auctions are great places in general, but for the small business they can be absolute heaven. If you have some extra space and extra time, watch restaurant equipment auctions. I try and keep myself limited to things I can actually test, but the sky is really the limit.

In-person only auctions tend to have better deals than online auctions because too many people are watching and bidding online. If you go in person, maybe there's 100 people there, but only a few of them want the thing that you want. Don't be afraid to take something kind of goofy, because it wouldn't be for sale used if people didn't occasionally buy them.

Find uninstallers and demolition crews. Often times, they'll bulldoze apartments and condos and take out the working units if they know someone who will buy them *hint hint*. I got 15 dishwashers for $100last month from a demo crew that was overjoyed that they weren't going to be thrown away. Honestly, they were plain but all worked fine and they looked nice enough to sell fast. One time I bought an entire apartment worth of stoves. I had storage units piled ten stoves deep and two stoves high. One time I bought 30 ping pong tables, and was flipping them as fast as I could for double what I bought them for.

Little deals pay the bills and keep you hustling, but big deals make you feel good inside.

I leave you with a quote by Warren Buffet “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble”"

Starting A Washer & Dryer Repair Business? (pay, startup, vs) - incorporation, advertising, financing, small business... - City-Data Forum
You may be kidding, but it's not a bad idea. I used to work for a big box store that sold and delivered appliances. We would haul away the old appliances free, and rather than mess around with evaluating the condition of every unit that came back we'd just slap a minimal price on it (usually $9) and sell them first come, first served. I had several guys who would come in once a week and buy whatever we had on hand, clean up and fix what was worth fixing, salvage parts off of what wasn't worth fixing, and sell the leftovers for scrap. Some of them made pretty decent money doing this, plus doing repairs on the side.
Flipping Appliances for Profit Mr Craigslist hustle

The Craigslist Hustle- Tax Evasion at its Finest! Mr Craigslist hustle

Wholesale Appliances-Untested or Reconditioned with warrantywholesale

http://www.rmcappliances.com wholesale

This are going fast. Everyone I get they move in two days. Very popular right now. It is new I just buy from big box stores when they have damaged boxes. First come first serve sorry no holdies it would look great in you home. They are roper which is made by whirlpool.

B-Stock Sourcing Network | Appliances

HustleHard

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Oct 2, 2016

HustleHard

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Oct 2, 2016

HustleHard

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Oct 2, 2016
Craigslist is helping people make extra money all around the world.: Flipping Appliances for Profit Very good advice

I'm Ryan from ReCraigslist.com We started an appliance school/community to teach people how to earn a living flipping appliances. AMA • r/Flipping

https://ninjabudgeter.com/made-10000-selling-appliances-craigslist/

Starting a Dryer Vent Cleaning Business | ProfitableVenture Dryer vent cleaning, add on service

Opening an Appliance Parts & Supply Dealership - How to Open a Business - Resources for Entrepreneurs - Gaebler Ventures - Chicago, Illinois

Washer/dryer rental business (credit card, lending, fees, loan) - incorporation, advertising, financing, small business... - City-Data Forum W/D rental business

Washer/Dryer rental advice (Durham: apartment, buy, school) - Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary - North Carolina (NC) -The Triangle Area - City-Data Forum W/D rental business

About Us - Direct Appliance Rentals Pty Ltd

Renting Home Appliances: the Rise of a New Business Model - L'Atelier BNP Paribas

In addition to saving on the cost of installation and any necessary repairs, renting a home appliance can enable the consumer to obtain a tailored service. Netherlands-based startup Bundles seems to have spotted a market niche here. Bundles specialises in high-value home equipment such as washing machines. The service it provides is similar to the laundromat approach but its business model consists of renting out a single machine, in partnership with a leading manufacturer – Miele in the case of washing machines. The company takes care of delivery, installation and maintenance, and also allows the customer to buy the machine. The rental plan is then tailored to the customer’s practical needs, with a subscription priced and adjusted according to the number of times a month the washing machine is actually used. So who benefits from this arrangement? While it is clear that the rental firm is able to buy in bulk from the manufacturer at a discounted price and then amortise the cost over the life of the machine, it is less clear how far the economics actually benefit the customer.

Competing with the second-hand market?
Renting household equipment in the short term makes most sense for people who are likely to move on fairly quickly and so might prefer not to buy the appliance outright and have to move it around. However, the actual cost saving may be less significant if you are able to re-sell the items when you move. It seems likely therefore that the rental business model will encroach to some extent on the second-hand market. In order to attract second-hand market fans and build market share, rental firms will need to sell the benefits of their offer, highlighting the advantages of renting brand new equipment and/or offering attractive conditions for customers who wish to purchase an item following a rental period. Quite apart from pure economics, however, some consumers will certainly be keen to save time and effort by renting and obtaining the luxury of a full service. So, budget customers so far have the option of buying second hand from the market giants such as eBay or Le Bon Coin, or renting from firms such as Meublicity and Lokéo in France and Rent King in Florida. For the moment at least, it appears that the two business models are able to co-exist.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.