The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Apple to lose Control of App Store?

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Ignoring the fact that Tencent proudly copy existing software and webapps to develop its owns, they enforce censorship and share all personal informations of users to the PRC.
That's exactly what Microsoft, Google, Facebook and Apple do... hmmm... except for one thing.
Epic Games is notorious for their lack of security protocols.
Like your bank, big retailers, LinkedIn and Yahoo?

Just to take two from top.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA

Neko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Jun 9, 2020
France
That's exactly what Microsoft, Google, Facebook and Apple do... hmmm... except for one thing.

Like your bank, big retailers, LinkedIn and Yahoo?

Just to take two from top.

Yeah, just one small, barely important difference. Right?

I don’t know your bank but access to mine is locked behind a bigger wall than just a barely encrypted mail and password.

Anyway, I’m just putting infos out there so people can make a better informed opinion on this case.

And it’s not like stubborn fools like you and me are going to change our position on this case anyway.

I won’t try to convince you as we both know it will be time wasted.

Have a nice day.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't know how to say this logically, but intuitively, I feel that the fact that Apple opened up the app store to 3rd party developers makes the difference here. If they wrote all the apps themselves, I'd have no issue with them. It would still be a monopoly, but it wouldn't be a market.

I think it's interesting how/when companies feel that they have the right to a market created by another company. They knew that they were playing in someone else's sandbox when they started.

For example, my company donates to 4000 dog rescues. Sometimes, we exclude certain rescues from receiving our donations and they get upset. It's just human nature to think that they are entitled something because others are getting access to something.

Just because 4000 other rescues get a donation doesn't mean that every single rescue has a right to get a donation from us.

I feel like this is Epic doing the same thing.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think it's interesting how/when companies feel that they have the right to a market created by another company. They knew that they were playing in someone else's sandbox when they started.

For example, my company donates to 4000 dog rescues. Sometimes, we exclude certain rescues from receiving our donations and they get upset. It's just human nature to think that they are entitled something because others are getting access to something.

Just because 4000 other rescues get a donation doesn't mean that every single rescue has a right to get a donation from us.

I feel like this is Epic doing the same thing.
Should AT&T have been broken up?

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Many of the definitions of a "monopoly" refer to a sector, industry, or "market structure". I guess a court will have to determine if the Apple App Store is a "market". Maybe it doesn't matter who owns the market, just that it exists.

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
As an trainee Entrepreneur who makes apps I'm in awe of this as it only benefits me and my fledgling business, but as a Consumer I'm extremely concerned... as both App Stores (iOS/Google Play) both charging the exact same 30% Commission is not Competition!

I just came up with a simple but very clever idea to test the waters here via progressive web apps... I'll keep the forum updated!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Should AT&T have been broken up?

I actually don't know enough about that. Was that because you could only get AT&T as your phone service? I was very young when MCI because an option. But I don't really know what that was all about.

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
The Plot Thickens! Apple are deciding to reduce their commission to 15% for smaller and indie developers.

Whats next for the Apple/Google Duopoly? Will Google follow suit?

Speaking for the small fish in Apples big Ocean I'm very pleased indeed.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
The Plot Thickens! Apple are deciding to reduce their commission to 15% for smaller and indie developers.

Whats next for the Apple/Google Duopoly? Will Google follow suit?

Speaking for the small fish in Apples big Ocean I'm very pleased indeed.

that's like 95% of devs but 5% of Apple's revenue(don't quote me on this, might be +-3%).

they used 80/20 at its best, they got almost* nothing to loose @MTF

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.