The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone using Node.js for their website?

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I'm curious if anyone is using Node.js for their website.

If so, why did you choose it over other platforms?

Any pros/cons about using it so far?

Would you use it again if you could start over?

Is your website an informational site, ecommerce shop, or something more complex?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Blek

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 15, 2018
Poland
It's just a tool.
If You are asking such question - 99% chance You don't need it.
Real advantage with web apps of course - but from the developers view.

Patrick Jones

growing
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
Dec 9, 2018
Berlin
Node.js is not a tool for developing "websites". It shines when you need a custom backend, e.g. to provide a REST API.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Usually I use node.js cause it has all the nice libraries on github, and it goes well with NOSQL databases. And it's easy to code in as you can code both the front-end (I like vue.js) and back-end in javascript.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I appreciate all the replies!

Node.js is not a tool for developing "websites". It shines when you need a custom backend, e.g. to provide a REST API.

If you were building an ecommerce store with a decently large catalog(100 items), what platform would you build it with? You seem to be a fan of wordpress, judging by your website.

In the long run, I wish to have some simple web apps on my site, like quizzes and picture analysis. Currently I'm on shopify and don't think I can easily integrate such a thing.

Shopify is okay enough, but ideally I'd like to be separated from a platform that's not very flexible and requires add ons for many many things like reviews and actual layouts for pages that are not the home page.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
If you were building an ecommerce store with a decently large catalog(100 items), what platform would you build it with? You seem to be a fan of wordpress, judging by your website.

Is this a hypothetical? Or are you actually building an standard ecommerce site with 100 products?

It would be foolish to do this with a custom Node.js app in 2019, and Shopify would be the way to go, especially if you are early stage. You should only build a custom web app if these platforms such as Shopify don't satisfy your needs (which usually means you are doing something very custom)

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Is this a hypothetical? Or are you actually building an standard ecommerce site with 100 products?

It would be foolish to do this with a custom Node.js app in 2019, and Shopify would be the way to go, especially if you are early stage. You should only build a custom web app if these platforms such as Shopify don't satisfy your needs (which usually means you are doing something very custom)

My store currently has 161 SKUs :smile2:
And I have a good 10 more I need to add if not more...

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
161 SKUs it not a lot, and wouldn't even need to think about moving away from Shopify or a similar platform unless you're doing something wildly custom. 1000 or 10000+ SKUs is a diff story.

The company i was working with a year ago was doing a custom meal delivery service, and it just didn't fit into the Shopify box at all, so it needed to be custom.

But if you are just listing a product catalog, processing and fulfilling orders with standard shipping (i.e. your value prop is not the user experience on the site), then custom software would be a very costly mistake, imo.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.