The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Anyone using Node.js for their website?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Tourmaline

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I'm curious if anyone is using Node.js for their website.

If so, why did you choose it over other platforms?

Any pros/cons about using it so far?

Would you use it again if you could start over?

Is your website an informational site, ecommerce shop, or something more complex?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Blek

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 15, 2018
Poland
It's just a tool.
If You are asking such question - 99% chance You don't need it.
Real advantage with web apps of course - but from the developers view.

Patrick Jones

growing
Speedway Pass
Dec 9, 2018
Berlin
Node.js is not a tool for developing "websites". It shines when you need a custom backend, e.g. to provide a REST API.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 5, 2015
Usually I use node.js cause it has all the nice libraries on github, and it goes well with NOSQL databases. And it's easy to code in as you can code both the front-end (I like vue.js) and back-end in javascript.

OP
OP
Tourmaline

Tourmaline

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
I appreciate all the replies!

Node.js is not a tool for developing "websites". It shines when you need a custom backend, e.g. to provide a REST API.
If you were building an ecommerce store with a decently large catalog(100 items), what platform would you build it with? You seem to be a fan of wordpress, judging by your website.

In the long run, I wish to have some simple web apps on my site, like quizzes and picture analysis. Currently I'm on shopify and don't think I can easily integrate such a thing.

Shopify is okay enough, but ideally I'd like to be separated from a platform that's not very flexible and requires add ons for many many things like reviews and actual layouts for pages that are not the home page.

csalvato

Platinum Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
If you were building an ecommerce store with a decently large catalog(100 items), what platform would you build it with? You seem to be a fan of wordpress, judging by your website.
Is this a hypothetical? Or are you actually building an standard ecommerce site with 100 products?

It would be foolish to do this with a custom Node.js app in 2019, and Shopify would be the way to go, especially if you are early stage. You should only build a custom web app if these platforms such as Shopify don't satisfy your needs (which usually means you are doing something very custom)

OP
OP
Tourmaline

Tourmaline

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
Is this a hypothetical? Or are you actually building an standard ecommerce site with 100 products?

It would be foolish to do this with a custom Node.js app in 2019, and Shopify would be the way to go, especially if you are early stage. You should only build a custom web app if these platforms such as Shopify don't satisfy your needs (which usually means you are doing something very custom)
My store currently has 161 SKUs :smile2:
And I have a good 10 more I need to add if not more...

csalvato

Platinum Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
161 SKUs it not a lot, and wouldn't even need to think about moving away from Shopify or a similar platform unless you're doing something wildly custom. 1000 or 10000+ SKUs is a diff story.

The company i was working with a year ago was doing a custom meal delivery service, and it just didn't fit into the Shopify box at all, so it needed to be custom.

But if you are just listing a product catalog, processing and fulfilling orders with standard shipping (i.e. your value prop is not the user experience on the site), then custom software would be a very costly mistake, imo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
I have zero coding skills whatsoever. Are coding skills needed? Will the be learned in the...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@LynX You know, this is a "Marketplace" Thread. Completely appropriate to offer goods and...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
would this be available in paper version? I know it's short, but most of my family is...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock