The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone read The Education of Millionaires?

s_sherrell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Oct 26, 2011
Chicago
I always seem to be reading too much. This one did look really good and echo some Fastlane principles. Anyone know?

001e20dd_medium.jpeg

Michael Ellsberg, "The Education of Millionaires: It's Not What You Think and It's Not Too Late"

The Myth: If you get into a good college, study hard, and graduate with excellent grades, you will be pretty much set for a successful career.

The Reality: The biggest thing you won't learn in college is how to succeed professionally.

Some of the smartest, most successful people in the country didn't finish college. None of them learned their most critical skills in an institution of higher education. And like them, most of what you'll need to learn to be successful you'll have to learn on your own, outside of school.

Michael Ellsberg set out to fill in the gaps by interviewing a wide range of millionaires and billionaires who don't have college degrees, including fashion magnate Russell Simmons, Facebook cofounder Dustin Moskovitz and founding president Sean Parker, WordPress creator Matt Mullenweg, and Pink Floyd songwriter and lead guitarist David Gilmour. Among the fascinating things he learned:

How fashion designer Marc Ecko started earning $1,000 a week in high school with his own clothing business and later grew it into an empire.
How billionaire Phillip Ruffin went from lowly department store clerk with no college degree to owner of Treasure Island on the Vegas Strip.
How John Paul DeJoria went from homelessness to billionaire as the founder of John Paul Mitchell Systems hair care products.

This book is your guide to developing practical success skills in the real world. Even if you've already gone through college, the most important skills weren't on the curriculum--how to find great mentors, build a world-class network, learn real-world marketing and sales, make your work meaningful (and your meaning work), build the brand of you, master the art of bootstrapping, and more.

Learning the skills in this book well is a necessary addition to any education, whether you're a high school dropout or a graduate of Harvard Law School.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/members/s_sherrell.htmlI have read it, just finished it last week. I enjoyed it and I think it was well written. I'd say its a great paradigm shifting book with some good references for beginners looking to learn more about internet marketing and the right way to approach the new internet economy as opposed to the dying brick and mortar economy which was based on school and credentials instead of results etc.

If you are new to the game, its a very good book. However, if you already have the correct paradigm for business, and if you already know how to market, that marketing and sales are important, and you have executed some things already (fail or win), then the book will seem like re-packaged information and not be very useful.

So to summarize:

for beginners new to fastlane concepts- very good book.
For experienced business people, esp. marketers and sales people well versed in the online world- rehash.

just my .02Â¥

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 30, 2011
I ordered it in the library. They are going to get a bunch of copy's soon so I am still waiting. I could buy a kindle version, but I have several books on tow for reading right now.

tommyturn

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 17, 2011
Charlottesville, VA
Finished the book a couple weeks ago

Very enlightening for me, a college senior, as I decide how best to pursue my career goals (starting my own business)

I always order my books on Prime b/c I like to highlight relevant sections for review

I've read several books in this genre, and some times it gets a little repetitive but the interview stories he has in there are very fascinating

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.