The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone own an island?

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I'm asking because I have a meeting this week and am trying to buy a few properties. One of them is an island that I have a feeling may be buildable, or at the very least can be donated for a write off.

So has anyone bought an island and built on it? How does that work? Did you barge all your equipment out? What about water and power? How does insurance work? How much higher were the costs?

I doubt I'll buy it, but you never know. I really want some other stuff they have though.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 21, 2008
Pacific NW
one of my high-networth clients owns an island here in the San Juan Islands, and I've been over there to "hang out" and I do not see the enjoyment, they even mentioned it themselves "only people who are nuts buy these islands, I'm nuts", that was pretty funny.

But yeah water was from some kind of pump/filter system and power was all solar with the exception of battery's and generators.
we always use some kind of barge to get the big stuff on and off the island.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
This one is in a river and about 18 acres. Its close enough that I might be able to bring at least power out, but water and sewage would be an issue.

I don't know, sounds like a lot of trouble. Looking at it from a logistic standpoint all it is, is a chunk of land that costs a lot more to do anything on. I rather just buy land thats attached.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Well it was an interesting meeting, didn't talk about the island nore were we very interested in it. We need to do some research before we make them an offer.

On a side note what a pleasent meeting, I'm so used to being out in the field it was nice sitting in an executive boardroom, with a kick a$$ view, and big comfy chairs. We talked about some of their other projects to, $5m here, $160m their, $1m for this. The big boys really do play in another league, $1m is pocket change to these guys, just enough to cover the UI bill.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
KurtYordy said:
Dude, you are on a river, water upstream, sewage downstream. Problem solved.
That went out with the Roosevelt administration, no?

(and puh-lease, no political snipes about how the last administration was doing it, or this one is w/things like "clunker" cars, etc, K?) ;)

-Russ H.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Yeah the DEP would shoot you if you did that, OMG that would have a fit. I'd imagin even building on it would require jumping threw hoops to make them happy!:coco:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.