The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone here own an RV and live and/or travel in it frequently?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm sorry for the repeated posts, this is the last one I promise.

Your posts are appreciated, if you have more to contribute to the thread, please do not hesitate. Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
So I recently went on an RV roadtrip last month and outside of the "active shooter" incident, it was a pretty interesting trip.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I like it or not. Part of me does, another part of me doesn't. I can't quite finger my thoughts.

I enjoyed getting out into nature and experiencing this subculture, even the driving aspect wasn't too bad -- but I'm hesitant about an RV being a huge maintenance and money suck. There's an old saying my friend used to say, boats make you broke ... (I guess they cost a lot to fix) ... are RV's the same?

As for what I'd buy, I'd definitely would go with a Class-A as I hate towing and hitching shit. The Class-C's are too small.

The thought that one of these huge Class-A's could be snagged for less than a Lamborghini SV has my interest.

On a side note, this could be a great option to accelerate your Fastlane -- instead of living in an expensive apartment or a house, you could hunker down in an RV park, save money, and grind your business away. If I was 22 and single again, it would be a consideration.

BTW, there's an RV show today at Cards Stadium, I'm going down there to take a look.
I would checkout rvdirect.com , they sell directly from the manufactures over the net, usually 50% off. They can't post their prices, so you have to ask for a quote.

Last edited:

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
I grew up RVing after I almost was attacked by a bear at age 7. That put an end to our family tenting days. The have lots of benefits like being able to just pick up and go anywhere. My parents bought a new smaller RV for just the two of them now and they have done a few cross country trips in it. Especially now with COVID, it's nice being able to have your own home away from home without needing to talk to anyone else or use shared facilities. It's a lot of work to use and also to drive. You're basically driving a tractor trailer. If you don't enjoy driving, that part alone could put you off. I know that is why my mother never drives and they only go as far as my dad can drive in one day.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I would investigate if a composting toilet is an option in any RV I bought. Not having to empty a black-water tank would be really nice.

If you don't like towing, a 5th-wheel might be a good option. They tow a lot differently than a normal travel-trailer. You need a good truck, though.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
So I recently went on an RV roadtrip last month and outside of the "active shooter" incident, it was a pretty interesting trip.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I like it or not. Part of me does, another part of me doesn't. I can't quite finger my thoughts.

I enjoyed getting out into nature and experiencing this subculture, even the driving aspect wasn't too bad -- but I'm hesitant about an RV being a huge maintenance and money suck. There's an old saying my friend used to say, boats make you broke ... (I guess they cost a lot to fix) ... are RV's the same?

As for what I'd buy, I'd definitely would go with a Class-A as I hate towing and hitching shit. The Class-C's are too small.

The thought that one of these huge Class-A's could be snagged for less than a Lamborghini SV has my interest.

On a side note, this could be a great option to accelerate your Fastlane -- instead of living in an expensive apartment or a house, you could hunker down in an RV park, save money, and grind your business away. If I was 22 and single again, it would be a consideration.

BTW, there's an RV show todaWy at Cards Stadium, I'm going down there to take a look.
We have an old camping trailer that pull around with one of our pickups. It's like an old favorite pair of slippers -- comfortable, very low maintenance, and debt-free . Yes, it has a queen sized bed with my memory foam topper. It has a kitchen, bathroom and the very important forced air heating. We use it off road here in Alaska. We set it up and then run around in our truck or with our ATVs. We could up grade, but why? It's all that we need.

JohanXV

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 26, 2020
I also have an RV for 4 years. We travel 5 times per year. Really, it is a cool thing. Firstly, we had just a small trailer with everything you need for camping, but it was not so good and we raised money for several years to buy a real mobile home where we can live comfortably. To tell the truth, it's worth this money and better to take a good model from the beginning. For the present moment, we don't travel because of covid pandemics. But I hope this spring we will open the season with the first warmth. I ordered for our trips some useful equipment, even a washing/drying mashing from the Palmgear website. So we are on full alert. LOL

Last edited:

jjohns500

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Mar 7, 2020
California

BTW, there's an RV show today at Cards Stadium, I'm going down there to take a look.
I can't personally speak to RV, however I grew up with my family owning and traveling in them. They all loved them. I personally have taken more to the vanlife route. Built this one myself and it's perfect for my and my daughter to travel. Much less maintenance and it's actually my daily driver, which I don't really drive anywhere since I have a studio in my home.

Vans are definitely very small in comparison. However we don't spend much time inside since we are usually out in nature. Plus it drives like a nissan sentra

Attachments

• 6F83B8BF-13AA-443D-9632-98703DE355E9.JPG
    6F83B8BF-13AA-443D-9632-98703DE355E9.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-1835.jpg
    IMG-1835.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-1837.jpg
    IMG-1837.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-1840.jpg
    IMG-1840.jpg