The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone Heard of Stumbleupon.com?

MsMoney

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 1, 2008
Valencia, CA
Just wondering if anyone has used this service or not? I've "stumbled upon" them myself and am wondering if it's something I'd want to utilize.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
For what I use social markers for (like stumble upon) they serve two main purposes:

1. As a website user, social marker are like a favorites page that you can access from anywhere/any computer.

2. As a website owner, social markers are great for SEO. For example, every time someone "marks" the fastlane in a social marker, it helps boost the traffic to this site as well as the site's ranking in google.

That's a basic rundown; I'm pretty beat, and I think I stopped making sense about an hour ago.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
YES! Would you like to share stumble links? I would like some attention directed toward my sig. links. See Let's Digg Each Other! And Delicious! And Stumble... for more info. It's worth it for short-term traffic spikes that might yield return traffic. One link on Stumbleupon brought me 150 new viewers in one day!

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
Stumble upon is great!

It's both entertaining when stumbling around and it's also awesome for promoting a site.

I think the best day I've had from stumble upon was 18,000 people.

The key is to build relationships with other stumblers and also don't just stumble your own links, it will just be considered as spam.

-Andrew

MsMoney

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 1, 2008
Valencia, CA
I guess I'm a bit confused about how it works. It looks like it's a blog of some sort. People are "following" me and then what?

If I post "what I'm doing now"....and say something about one of my websites to drive traffic to it....is that what I'm to do?

Do I make a point of "following" others? How do you know who to follow?

Am I over analyzing this or what?

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I think it is great for finding new things you might be interested in.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
The basic concept of social marking is similar to compound interest. The more people that know about something and like it, (for example the fastlane) the more people they will tell. And then it repeats, thus the information is passed to even more people even more quickly.

Stumblupon, Digg, Reddit and many other social bookmarkers are applications to quickly get the information you want to share out to as many people as quickly as possible. Take note, that the more of these tools you use, the more different types of people who use the different applications will potentially see. Imagine the possibilities if you could get information out within all the different applications.

In addition, the Twitter application is becoming the method of choice (though I have yet to be able to figure it all out). From what I have learned thus far, it is because you can share the link to the information as well as a short blog (the human interest factor) which in turn has a higher likelyhood of being followed... bringing traffic to the website of the link (hopefully, yours). By tying into additional applications like friendfeed, more than one message gets sent out.

Here is another neat tool. This is a social marker that allows you to post your find to all of the social bookmarking applications from one location instead of "digging" or "stumbling" each one separately.

Social bookmarking service. Fast tagging and posting to all major social websites - SocialMarker.com

One last thing... it is very important to "share the love" in social bookmarking. A great rule of thumb is: mark 8 items not belonging to you for every 1 of your own that you mark. Hope this helps a little.

MsMoney

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 1, 2008
Valencia, CA
Google "social bookmarking." Stumble is one of many, and you need to brush up on basics. (No offense)

It's my understanding that the whole purpose of this site is for all of us to learn. Since this area is NOT my strong suit, I don't really see any reason why I shouldn't ask someone that could help/guide me in the right direction.

Since Real Estate is definitely my strength, it's kind of like me telling you that you should know what to do, and you may not know where to start.....

I don't take offense to your comment, I'm sure you didn't mean it the way it reads...but you might want to be a little more patient with people that are just wanting to branch out and learn more.

MsMoney

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 1, 2008
Valencia, CA
The basic concept of social marking is similar to compound interest. The more people that know about something and like it, (for example the fastlane) the more people they will tell. And then it repeats, thus the information is passed to even more people even more quickly.

Stumblupon, Digg, Reddit and many other social bookmarkers are applications to quickly get the information you want to share out to as many people as quickly as possible. Take note, that the more of these tools you use, the more different types of people who use the different applications will potentially see. Imagine the possibilities if you could get information out within all the different applications.

In addition, the Twitter application is becoming the method of choice (though I have yet to be able to figure it all out). From what I have learned thus far, it is because you can share the link to the information as well as a short blog (the human interest factor) which in turn has a higher likelyhood of being followed... bringing traffic to the website of the link (hopefully, yours). By tying into additional applications like friendfeed, more than one message gets sent out.

Here is another neat tool. This is a social marker that allows you to post your find to all of the social bookmarking applications from one location instead of "digging" or "stumbling" each one separately.

Social bookmarking service. Fast tagging and posting to all major social websites - SocialMarker.com

One last thing... it is very important to "share the love" in social bookmarking. A great rule of thumb is: mark 8 items not belonging to you for every 1 of your own that you mark. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks, Wild! This is just what I was looking for. I really appreciate you taking the time out to educate/guide me a bit!

rep ++

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
I don't take offense to your comment, I'm sure you didn't mean it the way it reads...but you might want to be a little more patient with people that are just wanting to branch out and learn more.

I really didn't mean to sound terse. I should have taken the time to explain it myself. Sorry.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Yes, you want to use it, as well as other sb's. You can really jump start interest by using social bookmarking when kicking off a new site. When developing, ping yourself a few times with interesting titling to gain other's interest.

This can be automated somewhat in the beginning as well. If you use wordpress, there are plugins that will assist you. Kind of borderline grey hat, but to get your long tails out there in front of interested faces, it can be a big help. Auto Social Poster I think for wordpress. Social marker rings a bell as well.

Comment Kahuna is another similar useful tool.

Oh, Socialize This, Kabootle, social matic, etc... might be worth checking out depending on what you're trying to do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.