The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone have experience in making a prototype

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I have simple simple product that I want to make a few prototypes of. I've created a helmet camera mount for my biking helmet. I made the mount from aluminum but would like to get it made in plastic for weight and safety purposes.

As you can see its just a simple "L" bracket. How do I go about get 25 or 50 of these made in plastic?

Here are some videos made from this helmet camera:
Helmet Camera Video

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Adam_C

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Feb 2, 2008
uk
This is probably gonna go down badly, and i apologise in advance... but I don't like the idea, yes the video quality will be better, but most people use those bullet cameras which are robust and light.

If you take a tumble with the camera exposed like that, I don't think it'd survive.

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
You can design and get the parts made yourself made at www.emachineshop.com. It even has a awesome calculator that tells you how much it's going to cost per part as you design it and toggle between different options such as quantity, resin type, etc. It's pretty neat. They also do CNC machining for aluminum parts (probably a better option for you on short run parts).

Be warned though. As with any plastic part, the molds are VERY expensive. Price per part drops significantly with larger quantities. Getting plastic parts made is small quantities is not cheap.

Another option you have is to order a really thin sheet of Kydex (12"x12" runs about $25) off the internet and play with that. It becomes malable(sp?) if you put it in the oven at about 350 for 30 seconds. You can bend it and cut it with tin sheers. After it cools (10-15 seconds) it becomes hard again. After it becomes hard again, you can round edges with a Dremel and drill holes.

If this is some invention idea that really interests you, talk to the folks at t2design.com. You give them your idea, and they will work with you on design and to get a good prototype made. Once you agree on the final design, they give you the engineering drawings and you can do what you want with them. They can also assist with introducing you to manufacturers, package design, etc. Keep in mind this is not a cheap option either and it's mostly for serious inventors.

carlhuber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 31, 2008
NY
Great post Z5, speed++! I've got an idea banging around for a product and while I think I can build a passable prototype out of wood it's good to know about that emachineshop site. That Kydex material sounds very cool also.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
In the future you could buy a cnc from onsrud, mazak, etc..... or maybe even an ez-router. Equipmentmls, cnctool, and other sites of the like are great to browse for machinery.

I doubt the above options would interest you at the moment, but if you check around your local city, find people that have startups in manufacturing. Often times when they're just getting things going and integrating machinery into their manufacturing process, they don't have an efficient system in place. You can probably capitalize on this downtime for a decent rate. I used to do this for people that approached me about it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
This is probably gonna go down badly, and i apologise in advance... but I don't like the idea, yes the video quality will be better, but most people use those bullet cameras which are robust and light.

If you take a tumble with the camera exposed like that, I don't think it'd survive.

Hey Adam, I've used both styles of cameras and I prefer the camcorder because of its image stabilization. I would attach an HD camcorder to my head if they could make them lighter. I don't care if I break it in a tumble, I'd be more worried about my head.

I'm also going to try out the VIO-POV1.

dbeck29

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 4, 2008
also, i do like your idea. As an avid mountain bike rider, if i can make one suggestion, i would do a top mounted camera mount (as opposed to yours mounted on the side) The reason i say that is, number 1, you are more prone to falling and hitting the side of your helmet as opposed to the top. Second, i think the weight of the camera on one side of your head might be bothersome after hours on a trail. Good luck!!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Dbeck,

You can't really mount it on top due to its shape. You can go with a lipstick camera setup up top only.

I counter balance the other side with weights to keep your head from tilting.

Here are pics of my previous helmet cameras.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
This may be a stupid question, but why wouldn't you mount the camera on the handlebars?...seems to me that would give you a lot more options when it comes to the actual mounting materials, stabilization, even safer and easier to ride (no weight on the head).

Jito

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Dec 2, 2007
Bay Area
This may be a stupid question, but why wouldn't you mount the camera on the handlebars?...seems to me that would give you a lot more options when it comes to the actual mounting materials, stabilization, even safer and easier to ride (no weight on the head).

Then it wouldn't be first person view....

australianinvestor

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 4, 2007
Australia
Hi Bio,

You mentioned it as a "product", so is this something you are developing to be sold on a big scale? I did a search for helmet cams, and found a few which seemed to be ok (I'm a non-rider, so keep that in mind!). Is there a way that this would compete with those? What would be the major differences between yours and theirs?

:)

Daniel.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Handlebar mounting doesn't make for a good video. Most people look in the direction they are going. You are constantly correcting your bike's line, sometimes you aren't pointing it where you are going.

Plus it's also alot more shaky. The human head is a great shock absorber.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Bio,

You mentioned it as a "product", so is this something you are developing to be sold on a big scale? I did a search for helmet cams, and found a few which seemed to be ok (I'm a non-rider, so keep that in mind!). Is there a way that this would compete with those? What would be the major differences between yours and theirs?

:)

Daniel.

No, I want to make a mount. My product would be the plastic mount that would allow people options to mount cameras to their helmets.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bio, Z5 Films mentioned this company in another thread about inventions ...

T2Design.com - they do prototypes if you want to spend $$.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.