The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone have a sauna?

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
I am considering getting one to put in my basement. I used to sit in the one at my health club regularly before covid. Any must-have or must-avoid features? A lot of them seem to be infrared which heat your body but not the air, but I've only ever experienced the traditional set ups at the clubs.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
I love sauna, as Estonians generally do. Pretty much every house owner owns a sauna here. Don't own one myself yet though, because living in rented apartment. I'm always sitting in sauna daily after my workout in the gym.

We usually prefer wood-burning stoves or electrical sauna stoves so I don't know much about infrared saunas. Are you going to use some building company with a lot of experience?

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
Are you going to use some building company with a lot of experience?
I would get one of the ready to assemble kits.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I have a infared sauna in my home gym. Absolutely love it. I tend to use it several times a week.

It has great detox effects (supposedly) and after I spend an hour in it, I leave drenched in sweat. Aside from the detox, another immediate side effect is I get super energetic afterward. . . I feel like a million bucks.

Unfortunately, If I sauna too close to bedtime, I'll be up all night.

It also is a nice queue to relax, read a book, meditate, chill out.

drahz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 24, 2019
I bought an infrared sauna last year, however, I like the traditional more. The traditional sauna is much hotter than infrared and you can do an ice-bath right after, than back to sauna, ice-bath, and repeat.

The infrared sauna is usually smaller, cheaper, and one big plus is that it is ready to be used after about 10 minutes you turn it on. There is a whole science around what kind of infrared heaters are the best (full spectrum should be the best for general usage). And cold shower should be avoided after, for the best detox experience.

I feel good after the infrared sauna, but 15 minutes of extremely hot finish sauna with a few minutes of the ice-cold shower after is another level.

D

Deleted78083

Don't go with infrared, go with traditional, it is worth it. I contemplated and studied the idea to make a sauna myself for quite some time (with the idea to sell them next???). Here's my plan that I never put into practice:

1. go to a local sawmill and ask them how much it'd be for a sauna. It's important you choose the right type of timber and that they make the sauna in a way that is easy for you to build, like a lego. Three features are important: built-in space for light, whole for the plug of the sauna-heater, a door that closes well.
2. Bring the sauna home and build it. If you don't intend on moving the sauna too much, add some screws to the parts.
3. Buy the smallest Harvia sauna-heater that you can plug in a normal electric plug so that there is no need for special plugging work.
4. Connect the lights.
5. Enjoy.

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
2. Bring the sauna home and build it. If you don't intend on moving the sauna too much, add some screws to the parts.
3. Buy the smallest Harvia sauna-heater that you can plug in a normal electric plug so that there is no need for special plugging work.

How can you even move an indoor sauna thats not a saunahouse or sauna on wheels?

I assume if it's a "sauna assembly kit" it really can't be the real deal.

If you want to build a proper traditional one with electrical stove or wood-burning stove, THAT WILL LAST, you have to properly insulate walls, ceiling, use foil for keeping more heat, have distance under wall and ceiling boards so the air can move, have room between floor and wall boards, between ceiling and wall boards, choose a right stove according to the size of the room, build the sitting place at the right height, of course you need to choose the correct timber and the ventilation of the room is extremely important.

But yes, traditional sauna is better. If you can't have a small pool with cold water, what we do here and in Finland is we have a wooden bucket with rope attached somewhere high with cold water running in it, and right after sauna we go under it and pull the rope. :D

Nate L.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 14, 2017
United States
I have one in my home. The benefits are ridiculous (look up some articles written by Rhonda Patrick). I agree with what mon_fi said above, don't go with infared. Get a traditional. I purchased mine from Almost Heaven Saunas and I've been happy with it.

Joseph1986

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Jul 30, 2020
Canada
I grew up in a 100 year old farm house which had had an indoor sauna retrofitted in the 1970’s. The most notable things about it were the type of stove which took hours to heat the real deal and benches sculpted to follow the contours of your body. It’s a major push to build one on the side considering the sheer muscle and man-hours needed, but I do recommend.

gryfny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 11, 2019
Europe
I'm thinking of getting one for my homegym in my apartmen. The space is quite small so I would only be able to fit a small IR sauna, and even that would be a tight fit. They are quite cheap though, 650 euros for the smallest model. It has a maximum of 60 degrees celcius, which is a bit low but it's not too bad I guess.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A great use for an infared sauna is as follows....

For the first 30 minutes I meditate.
For the next 30 minutes I read or listen to an audiobook.
The whole time I sweat balls and detox.

I leave feeling great and more energized than normal.

It's a high-value HOUR that I highly recommend.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I go with my buddies to the Russian Bathhouse (banya) a lot. It's basically 100% russians there. Best thing ever. I have a russian friend who owns his own business which is how I heard about the place. You would be surprised at how well you can network at a place like this. Better than any golf course by far.

The sauna is 220 degrees. You sit in there and try not to die for 15 minutes, then you go sit in the freezing cold tub for a couple minutes. You come out and sit down, dizzy and feeling better than you just had any drug in the world. Your body just went from one extreme to another and there's nothing else in the world like it. It feels AMAZING. You go back and forth and then take a break and go drink beer, have some shashlik and listen to russian music playing through the speaker and play russian billiards.

In 2021, everything is soft, weak and idiotic. Not at the Banya. You walk in, there's no mask bullshit. It's a bunch of guys joking around talking shit and having a good time. It's like you stepped into a time machine.

It's absolutely my favorite way to spend an evening. Full of good times, hilarious conversations and feeling like the you're on the greatest high ever.

I will 100% get a sauna for myself someday, along with a cold tub nearby.

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
I will 100% get a sauna for myself someday, along with a cold tub nearby.

That's a must have indeed. Going from tempeture that high to almost freezing. I love the sizzling feeling after that, that's amazing.

When I was working in Norway with some other estonians building cabins, there weren't any saunas. So we built it ourselves, a small one on a side of a hill. There's nothing like coming out of a 120℃ sauna and jumping straight in a 2 feet deep snow. Of course the locals thought we were crazy.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
That's a must have indeed. Going from tempeture that high to almost freezing. I love the sizzling feeling after that, that's amazing.

I visited Japan on a tour group that consisted of mostly Australians. We visited an Onsen that had a sauna and ice baths. In the sauna I (a Canadian) felt like I was dying in the heat but the Aussies were perfectly fine. In the ice bath that flipped completely! Great time.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

the house I just bought has a hot tub inside that makes the room way too steamy and moldy. Does that count?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.