The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anybody listen to AudioBooks?

For any book discussion

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
I'm a huge fan of audiobooks over regular books. I started listening to audiobooks on my "ineffective time" when driving and going for walks after lunch.

Can't do that with books. :)
I'm a big fan of audiobooks too for that reason. No commercials, no interruption, and I can listen while I work, clean, cook, you name it.

With that in mind, it's no surprise that M.J. recorded TMF .

Bruh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
May 31, 2013
I prefer ebooks. That way I can take notes, make searches, etc. Good way to review a book and really use it as a tool.

Instead of an audiobook, I'll listen to a podcast or some audio course.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
That way I can take notes, make searches, etc. Good way to review a book and really use it as a tool.

Yep, that's one of the down sides to audiobooks. The time saving is a big benefit for me though.

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
Absolutely. When driving especially, but also if I'm involved in a long, grueling renovation project on a house, I'll put a bunch on my MP3 player and just listen all day while I'm working. The funniest thing I've noticed with that, is that negative self talk can't get going while I'm listening to a good book. It totally acts like a positive and motivating distraction.

Especially if listening to a biography about another entraprenuer and their paths through adversity (Ted Turner's autobiography was great). It's like I'm listening 1st and working 2nd, unless of course I get in a pinch and need to turn it off to really focus on something.

frank65

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 3, 2014
Personally I enjoy e-books a lot, especially for non-fiction, work-stuff. The highlighting and search functions have made this so much more effective for me

Genium

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jan 6, 2013
Podcasts and ebooks for me. If I have to, a regular book works, but I love what you can do with an ebook. Granted it takes more work but I feel like I soak in more, and nothing good comes easy anyway.

I should get a Kindle paperlight. Thing looks awesome for reading outside in the sun which I love to do.

I personally like the conversational style of podcasts, and I listen to them quite a bit at work. I recommend Pat Flynn's Smart Passive Income Podcast. MJ has been on it ;)

frank65

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 3, 2014
I'm not big on the multitasking, don't think I could listen to a podcast at work and still be productive. On the other hand, driving home from work is a much better opportunity. Actually I read (http://www.statista.com/statistics/...audiobooks-over-other-book-formats-in-the-us/) that most people buy audiobooks because they can listen to it in the car. Will definitely check out that podcast you mentioned though!

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
First thing I do in the morning is a 45 - 60 minutes walk. I then listen to audiobooks. I am currently listening to "meditations".

I also listen in the car.

At home, I prefer to read books.

A

Angus

First thing I do in the morning is a 45 - 60 minutes walk. I then listen to audiobooks. I am currently listening to "meditations".

At home, I prefer to read books.
That's crazy as F*ck.
Just downloaded Meditations.
Read this post some seconds later.
Wow.

By the way, walking while listening to audiobooks sounds good, will try tomorrow, thanks. :)

DarioMontesdeOca

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Feb 14, 2014
I'm a huge fan of audiobooks over regular books. I started listening to audiobooks on my "ineffective time" when driving and going for walks after lunch.

Can't do that with books. :)

Same here, constantly listening to audio programs in my "University on Wheels" :D

Some tracks I have on my mp3 player are:
Brian Tracy
Peter Diamandis
T Harv Eker
Earl Nightingale
Kevin Trudeau
Zig Ziglar
Jim Rohn
Napoleon Hill
Robert Kiyosaki
Donald Trump
Bob Proctor
Jack Canfield
Mark Victor Hansen
John Assaraf
Robert Allen
The Secret

What recommendations do you have for more audio programs?

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Audio books are cool.

I prefer podcasts because I like to take notes and make highlights in books. With podcasts you can find show notes that takes care of that for you, so I don't have to be engaged the entire time.

What's nice is if you have books you've already read and then listen to them. There are lots of great books, TMF among them, that should be read more then once. First time I read it I was so engrossed with the roadmaps and the money I skimmed through other sections, like the chapter about "you", which really stuck out the next time through.

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014

I found myself walking faster and longer after I started listening to audiobooks. :)

Anthony Mitoli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Dec 1, 2013
That's crazy as F*ck.
Just downloaded Meditations.
Read this post some seconds later.
Wow.

By the way, walking while listening to audiobooks sounds good, will try tomorrow, thanks. :)

Do you guys mean meditations by Marcus Aurelius? If so, I am reading this book right now. A little woo-woo Jungian synchronicity action here or what? I am a rationalist but that is interesting nonetheless.

InLikeFlint

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 19, 2012
Michigan, USA
I did some pretty excessive power washing over the summer (Driveway, side path, back and front patio, siding, windows) and the entire project took me about 3 weeks total with a few hours a day. At first I listened to music but then I got bored of it and the volume had to be so loud of the power washer that I got a headache so I gave an audiobook a try and loved it. I especially enjoyed how the words were being spoken rather than read so it was easy for me to make mental notes without getting distracted or losing my place.

That being said I did miss having something to look back on, for instance if a particular line or section stood out to me.

If I had to rank my reading preference I would say 1) Physical book 2) Audiobook 3) eBook

I love the feeling of actually sitting down and reading a book and the pages are easy to look at and holding something like a book in my hand puts me in 'reading mode'. With audiobooks I can listen to them while still doing other things which is nice, but I miss out on looking back at things that stood out to me. Despite having a larger collection of eBooks than physical or audiobooks, I like them the least. I find that when I am reading them on my phone/computer/laptop that the light from the screen starts to hurt my head and eyes (even when using f.lux for Mac and having the lowest brightness). I also find it easy to just open up Facebook or start working on a spreadsheet instead of reading (especially when emails and iMessages are constantly coming in). Ideally I would peg myself, based on my lifestyle, as an eBook type of person, but in reality I will always choose a physical book when I can.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
I would say 1) Physical book 2) Audiobook 3) eBook
I completely agree. I can only stare at a computer monitor for so long before my eyes start to hurt.

Speaking of preferences...I prefer when the author reads their own book since the author knows exactly where to place emphasis and how to create suspense. I think that this is especially true for fiction novels. Does anyone else share this sentiment?

PHD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Sep 5, 2011
Gold Coast, Australia
Currently listening to Arnold's autobiography 'Total Recall' while I do the house work and cook dinner.

I find autobiographies or mentally less stiumlating books are great to listen to, but when it comes to technical books I really have to read it myself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.