The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anybody Interested In The Indy 500?

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
ap-indycar-indy-500-auto-racing-1.jpg

Hey Fastlaners!

Anybody interested in INDYCAR?

My family has been involved with the series since the mid-90's and I watch racing like the everyday guy watches football.

The race is this weekend. It's supposed to rain on Sunday, but hope not. Pretty excited for the big show.

If you are a fan, who you got to win?

My pick: Will Power

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I'm a huge F1 fan and was a bit into indycar back in the Pau Tracy days. Used to love going to see the Surfers paradise race in Aus. Going to the Indy 500 in person would be an experience I want to cross off my bucket list.

Bit annoyed Mclaren and Alonso didn't qualify but it was almost worth it for the lols. Lol...

Let's go DJ Willy P!

Matt Hunt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 9, 2019
I grew up in Indy, and my dad actually designed and built an Indy car in the 70's (back when that was actually possible). They didn't qualify for the Indy 500, but were in some other races.

Ironically, though, I've never been to the race! Been to qualifications, practice, Carb Day, Brickyard practice, MotoGP & F1 races. I love the speedway. We took field trips there in elementary school. My mom used to work for Chase, who had a suite in turn 2, so I went there several times, and they had pit & garage passes. Got a picture with Helio one year.

My pick: it's time for the hometown hero Ed Carpenter to finally win one!

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
No, but I'm a huge dirt track fan. We have some big races in the area this weekend. The closest I ever came to dealing with any Indy drivers is one time my vehicle broke down near Belleville, Kansas. My friend owned the Dodge dealership so I called him to go fix it. He had to go over to the Belleville High Banks (very famous dirt track) and borrow Stan Fox' trailer to bring my van in to town. So, that automatically made me a Stan Fox fan.

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
I'm a huge F1 fan and was a bit into indycar back in the Pau Tracy days. Used to love going to see the Surfers paradise race in Aus. Going to the Indy 500 in person would be an experience I want to cross off my bucket list.

Bit annoyed Mclaren and Alonso didn't qualify but it was almost worth it for the lols. Lol...

Let's go DJ Willy P!

Yeah Paul is one of a kind. Was in the marina during the long beach grand prix and he comes strolling by. I asked him his top speed on California speedway - 256 mph is the answer he gave me. Crazy!

Surfers was a great race weekend being in Aus, but I was so young I had no idea. Not many memories watching it live.

As far as McLaren goes. It was mixed for me. I wasn't surprised because as we all know they completely underestimated the venture, so as nando said... they didnt deserve to be in the show.

Would love to see will win again!

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
How is your family involved?

I'm an F1 fan but getting a bit bored this year with Mercedes absolutely dominating.
My dad's company used to build engine cases for Honda so we have some residual hook ups / connections from that partnership

Yeah I really love f1 too, but it's a runaway right now. I thought this year was going to be different... surprised me. How about Danny ric?? Not planning out with Renault's so far

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
I grew up in Indy, and my dad actually designed and built an Indy car in the 70's (back when that was actually possible). They didn't qualify for the Indy 500, but were in some other races.

Ironically, though, I've never been to the race! Been to qualifications, practice, Carb Day, Brickyard practice, MotoGP & F1 races. I love the speedway. We took field trips there in elementary school. My mom used to work for Chase, who had a suite in turn 2, so I went there several times, and they had pit & garage passes. Got a picture with Helio one year.

My pick: it's time for the hometown hero Ed Carpenter to finally win one!

That's awesome! Was he just the builder or did he drive too? Yup it's hard to qualify and I believe back in that era there were way more than 36 peeps trying to make the field.

Going to indy is on my bucket list. I've never actually been to the speedway and I know how sacred it is especially in that area of the USA. Would be an absolute gas being there on race day I bet.

Ya know I wouldn't mind ed winning either. I know he's the local man and the crowd would be stoked.

I'm curious what all the internationals coming for Fernando feel now that he isnt in the race. I wonder if some people cancelled their trips

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
No, but I'm a huge dirt track fan. We have some big races in the area this weekend. The closest I ever came to dealing with any Indy drivers is one time my vehicle broke down near Belleville, Kansas. My friend owned the Dodge dealership so I called him to go fix it. He had to go over to the Belleville High Banks (very famous dirt track) and borrow Stan Fox' trailer to bring my van in to town. So, that automatically made me a Stan Fox fan.

I live close to perris raceway (the dirt track)

I can hear the cars from my house, but I havent checked it out yet. Dirt racing is pretty epic in it's own right and it's so different from on road opeln wheelers. Wouldn't mind getting behind the wheel.

Ain't that something... getting your van towed in with an IndyCar trailer. If I recall standing fox had a scary accident in the mid 90's at the speedway. Other than that I was too young to know well of him haha.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I think he died late 90's. I think it was '93 or '94 when my van was towed.

You should check out dirt racing, it is like a 2nd family to me.

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
I think he died late 90's. I think it was '93 or '94 when my van was towed.

You should check out dirt racing, it is like a 2nd family to me.

Just looked it up yeah it was a regular traffic accident in New Zealand in 2000. Shame.

Def going to head to the speedway. Have you ever heard of iracing? They have a lot of dirt tracks and cars.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Yeah, I've heard of iracing but I don't play games. I barely get on here. Plus, my grandson just told me it is not for Mac's. We don't have any Windows computers.

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
Yeah, I've heard of iracing but I don't play games. I barely get on here. Plus, my grandson just told me it is not for Mac's. We don't have any Windows computers.

Ah... Didn't know it's not for macs.

If you ever decide to check it out it's quite an amazing sim. Cheers :)

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
My dad's company used to build engine cases for Honda so we have some residual hook ups / connections from that partnership

Yeah I really love f1 too, but it's a runaway right now. I thought this year was going to be different... surprised me. How about Danny ric?? Not planning out with Renault's so far
Dany Ric is drowning in 50 mil a year so no sympathy from me lol. I never expected them to challenge Red Bull anyway, so the only thing that is a disappointment is how boring the inter team rivalry is now. Danny and Max were class!

The Renault thing is interesting. Obviously, they have failed but I do get the feeling that they are a sleeping giant just waiting to be woken. They need a new team principal frankly.

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
Dany Ric is drowning in 50 mil a year so no sympathy from me lol.

Yeah it's a good chunk of change ;) No sympathy here either. I think it's early days for him and the team together, so I see good things ahead.

Danny and Max were class!

100% I enjoyed their partnership. Near the end I personally think that Dr. Marko and Horner favored Max and Danny felt it. Time to go. Plus the Honda engine didn't help anything, but TBH I think that it was McLaren that had the issue and not Honda.

They need a new team principal frankly.

I agree... I think Cyril's time is up

Matt Hunt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 9, 2019
That's awesome! Was he just the builder or did he drive too? Yup it's hard to qualify and I believe back in that era there were way more than 36 peeps trying to make the field.

His cousin Dan Murphy was the driver. He passed away in 1993 so I didn't get to talk to him a whole lot about it. I became curious as I got older and looked through all his notes, and blueprints of the car design. According to my mom, although they had a whole racing team, he was the one that really did most of the work in building the car. There are pictures where the chassis is sitting in the living room of his apartment! I'm sure it would be a really great story if he were still alive to tell it.

It was totally different back then. Today the cars are so advanced and so expensive, there just aren't any privateer teams like they had.

OMG! I found an article about it with pictures of the car online! 8W - What? - Ferrari at Indianapolis

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I remember the Viceroy car. My mom smoked those is why it caught my eye at the time.

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
What a great race!

SPOILER ALERT
Pagenaud and Penske did a great job. What a race between Rossi and Pagenaud.

Shame for Sebastien Bourdais he was running so well. There was a few minor things I didn't enjoy, but overall it was a safe and fast race.

Did you guys watch / enjoy it?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I did not watch it, we were headed to Heart O' Texas Speedway while it was on, but we did talk about it for a few minutes at the dirt track.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Fell asleep at about 120 laps in or so but it was something like 230 am, gutted to have missed the end. Would been nice to see Willy P give another double bird for his penalty lol but he deserved it I suppose.

Satoooooooooo! So close haha

Jsoh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 16, 2019
California
Fell asleep at about 120 laps in or so but it was something like 230 am, gutted to have missed the end. Would been nice to see Willy P give another double bird for his penalty lol but he deserved it I suppose.

Satoooooooooo! So close haha

Man im stoked that Pagenaud won. Rossi was full rage mode. I thought will's penalty was crap... its racing, man and these guys know theres risk involved. Race control needs to stop interfering with that kind of stuff.

Sato came out of nowhere. Was surprised. Lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.