The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any ideas of some physical side hustles to make extra money?

Idea threads

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
By physical I mean where you are physically out doing the work, something with a low start up ($200 max) and something where i can start almost right away
You got a car?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Check out the gold thread "Unsexy business ideas" and also consider all the trades.

Lots of guys around here work as welders out of the back of their trucks.
Construction is good. If you have the drive, go get certified for something like home inspector or electrician or plumber, that will greatly increase your earning power.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Parking lot striping

Chalk , string , a little football field style striper that takes spray paint and the paint

Voila

Go find little places on the outskirts (not big nice proffesional strip malls just yet) and hustle it up.

Another would be pressure washing driveways and sealing them.

If you're near an apartment complex , make up some fliers and offer to take garbage bags they leave on their front porch to the dumpster for a subscription fee (whatever , 15 a week? 2 bucks a bag? Idk)

Slightly harder mode , cleaning out the garbage bins for people who live in sub divisions , its harder because you run up against where to put the icky water you create.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Parking lot striping

Chalk , string , a little football field style striper that takes spray paint and the paint

Voila

Go find little places on the outskirts (not big nice proffesional strip malls just yet) and hustle it up.

Another would be pressure washing driveways and sealing them.

If you're near an apartment complex , make up some fliers and offer to take garbage bags they leave on their front porch to the dumpster for a subscription fee (whatever , 15 a week? 2 bucks a bag? Idk)

Slightly harder mode , cleaning out the garbage bins for people who live in sub divisions , its harder because you run up against where to put the icky water you create.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNdvt8hv7Kw

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDI0bKJwD9U

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHDlswy5Asc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBx6oe78-g

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEQaUkxEPUw

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Depending on where you live and the time of year.

1. Pressure washing (friend of mine has this business)
2. Gutter cleaning (another friend of mine)
3. Lawn care (my business)
4. any of the other ideas here mentioned.

If you want to do it yourself you can make a grand a day.

My lawn care business is nice because I can easily have recurring consistent revenue, employees doing the work, and the profit margins are healthy. It's easy to get customers from facebook ads. (I spend about $30 in advertising per customer signed up. The average customer pays $1800 a year for lawn care so it's worth it)

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Yeh they have a pretty thorough "how to" book on this for cheap as well. It doesn't scale in the sense that a digital product can but you can add more equipment and services and build it out to a construction firm.

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
Thread creator clearly states UK in his profile. Unfortunately a lot of jobs mentioned in the above are not an option/have no opportunity/weak opportunity in the UK.

Many window cleaner for residential and commercial buildings in the UK but I guess during COVID there isnt going to be a demand. Also, since you are in a new lockdown since yesterday/today I guess a lot of opportunity is gone.

Deliveries in all sorts and form have gone up incredibly. Potential opportunities for a new business

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Sanitising restaurants or service places that are similar

afrankmore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 5, 2020
Central California
By physical I mean where you are physically out doing the work, something with a low start up ($200 max) and something where i can start almost right away
Residential Waste Management Sanitation... Basically you go around cleaning peoples trash cans

Got a mower? Can you hedge and edge? Start with a Hedge, edge, mow, blow and go... I watched a close friend of mine start out with 3 houses and in 5 years had around 50 yards and two apartment complexes running 3 crews 5 days a week.. How did he start? Found a push lawn mower and went to town!!!

Veloman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Feb 10, 2018
Austin
If you only have a car, you can still do some jobs that normally use a truck. Mount a hitch and use a cargo rack, reinforcing the rack to the bumper so it doesn't wobble and can hold more weight.

I mowed nearly full time with this setup on a Prius, using battery powered equipment, so I didn't have any gas machines or cans in the car. The cargo rack should hold 200lbs no problem if you do the above. My mower weighed 80lbs, super fast and easy to load it on the rack. No trailer to deal with.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
mowing lawns
shovel snow
remove junk/debris
clean gutters
pull weeds
Uber
babysit
clean houses
walk dogs
clean up poop in yards
dog sit
wash walls
wash/detail cars
etc. The list can go on forever...

afrankmore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 5, 2020
Central California
mowing lawns
shovel snow
remove junk/debris
clean gutters
pull weeds
Uber
babysit
clean houses
walk dogs
clean up poop in yards
dog sit
wash walls
wash/detail cars
etc. The list can go on forever...
What if the author of the thread, started to network locally with small business that already do this and create a type of employment agency? Some times, yard guys get big jobs and can use extra hands...

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
What if the author of the thread, started to network locally with small business that already do this and create a type of employment agency? Some times, yard guys get big jobs and can use extra hands...
What if he just starts -- and creates a reputation for being a hard worker and doing a good job? What can he learn from doing the hands-on work himself? Then he can hire someone, or partner with someone, to grow his business. There a big difference between knowing about something and really knowing it because you've done it...

afrankmore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 5, 2020
Central California
What if he just starts -- and creates a reputation for being a hard worker and doing a good job? What can he learn from doing the hands-on work himself? Then he can hire someone, or partner with someone, to grow his business. There a big difference between knowing about something and really knowing it because you've done it...
Agreed 100%

Cool_Llama

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Nov 10, 2019
Dallas, TX
If you only have a car, you can still do some jobs that normally use a truck. Mount a hitch and use a cargo rack, reinforcing the rack to the bumper so it doesn't wobble and can hold more weight.

I mowed nearly full time with this setup on a Prius, using battery powered equipment, so I didn't have any gas machines or cans in the car. The cargo rack should hold 200lbs no problem if you do the above. My mower weighed 80lbs, super fast and easy to load it on the rack. No trailer to deal with.
Hey budd! This is some great advice! What kind of mowing/lawn equipment would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Veloman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Feb 10, 2018
Austin
Hey budd! This is some great advice! What kind of mowing/lawn equipment would you recommend? Thanks in advance!
It was 3 years ago, but I used Greenworks 80v equipment, and I had a custom large battery for some of the mowing. Works great for typical city lots under 10k sq ft. Lots of newer tech out there for battery zero turns and such. I ended up getting a small truck, but it wasn't necessary for straight up lawn mowing (no bagging clippings).
It was good money if you can get an efficient, dense route and hustled.

HoustonRealtor

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Feb 2, 2021
Houston, Texas
Depending on where you live and the time of year.

1. Pressure washing (friend of mine has this business)
2. Gutter cleaning (another friend of mine)
3. Lawn care (my business)
4. any of the other ideas here mentioned.

If you want to do it yourself you can make a grand a day.

My lawn care business is nice because I can easily have recurring consistent revenue, employees doing the work, and the profit margins are healthy. It's easy to get customers from facebook ads. (I spend about $30 in advertising per customer signed up. The average customer pays $1800 a year for lawn care so it's worth it)

HoustonRealtor

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Feb 2, 2021
Houston, Texas
Hi John,

I've been thinking about the lawn care business for a while and one thing I noticed about this type of service that nobody thought about putting technology to use and I am talking about people ordering lawncare via an APP, just like when they order a ride with Uber. I am surprised that nobody thought of such a thing.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Hi John,

I've been thinking about the lawn care business for a while and one thing I noticed about this type of service that nobody thought about putting technology to use and I am talking about people ordering lawncare via an APP, just like when they order a ride with Uber. I am surprised that nobody thought of such a thing.
It already exists and nobody likes it because it's a bad idea. People try to start "lawn care uber" businesses all the time and it's essentially just lead gen for shitty lawn care companies or sketchy individuals and nobody really enjoys it. Different industry. Can't treat it like the taxi business. Everyone says I should've done it and I always laugh.

However, angel investors jerk themselves off to the idea of companies that are tech based like an "uber for ___" business. If I had the goal of getting some massive funding for a terrible idea, it would be for that.

edit: Sorry if I sound like a dick.

HoustonRealtor

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Feb 2, 2021
Houston, Texas
It already exists and nobody likes it because it's a bad idea. People try to start "lawn care uber" businesses all the time and it's essentially just lead gen for shitty lawn care companies or sketchy individuals and nobody really enjoys it. Different industry. Can't treat it like the taxi business. Everyone says I should've done it and I always laugh.

However, angel investors jerk themselves off to the idea of companies that are tech based like an "uber for ___" business. If I had the goal of getting some massive funding for a terrible idea, it would be for that.

edit: Sorry if I sound like a dick.
In 2017, a company in CO called ArriveHome decided to do just that, order real estate showing via an APP just like Uber. Users would be able to see the profile and reviews of the agent and if looks good, they get connected. I was monitoring the company very closely as I thought this is a great idea and actually if someone drives for Uber and is a licensed agent where can show homes then why not? But I found out the company closed!

Cool_Llama

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Nov 10, 2019
Dallas, TX
It was 3 years ago, but I used Greenworks 80v equipment, and I had a custom large battery for some of the mowing. Works great for typical city lots under 10k sq ft. Lots of newer tech out there for battery zero turns and such. I ended up getting a small truck, but it wasn't necessary for straight up lawn mowing (no bagging clippings).
It was good money if you can get an efficient, dense route and hustled.
Cool beans! Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.