The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any ideas for a Medicine student?

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Update: So I have been browsing the site a bit which definetly have helped with how I see to get into fastlane. I reallt liked the tread about the guy who started from 0 and is now in fastlane by buying other compaines. So that got me thinking, I can do that to. As a matter of fact, I have been looking for companies yo take over and have found a beauty clinic in a neighbouring city who is for grabs. It is just the locale but as it is an old clinic, everything is ready to go so I just have to invest in some used machines and Im ready to go. As is, the current company is just making break even but the way it is operated and what they offer is far, far from optimal.
If I can get it, Im sure I will get about 50-100% return on investment per year.
I will make some phonecalls and see what I can do.
Also that means the cosmetic ideá will be prosponed since it will take to much of my time but it it something I will look at in the future.

Please keep us updated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
Oh absolutly. I wont quit med school, and yes it is overwhelming at times. However I have planned for that. Now I will have 10 weeks break from school which I can use productivly. What I am doing is opening bussiness but letting other people maintain and operate it, giving me 25% of the profit and the stocks. That way I have a passive income after the clinic is ready. And yes, once in a while I will have to attend a meeting or make a phone call but I wont actively work on it once it is finished.
But then, I need to have an extra job to maintain my economy and its either this or working as a nurses assistant serving food and changing dipers.

I remember being that cocky too when I was in my third and fourth year, when I started my first company. A lot of unrealistic assumptions/red flags in your text but I will set this as a reminder for 10 weeks time and find it out myself, if you update. Please dont be so condescending towards nurse assistants. Get off your high horse.

Hi Knugs!

I've also completed med school, worked for 7 & a half years in emergency & outpatient, now work in cosmetic.
I do realize the points you made.

Can you talk a bit more about how you raised VC & public capital, and what your company does?
Thanks!
Great to meet you here! ;)

Are you doing non-invasive aesthetic work? I have some friends that quit their job/locum after a year and are doing that right now. I find it hard to compete vs plastic board certified practises (I did 6 months in a private clinic) but as far as I have heard its a nice side-hustle to have.

You probably have seen a lot of issues in ED during your time. Bad processes, lack of IT, lack of tech etc. There is such a great abundance of issues and space for improvement. Every problem is an opportunity. I found a real problem in the medtech HR place and after a few rounds of pivoting, we are developing a medical HR SAAS business.

We got funded by the European Union and German state government for our project. The funding includes 2500 euros salary for each founder and a mid 5-figure non repayble amount to develop the prototyp. In addition, the state university supports us with free office space and their network. The network support is actually more valuable than the financial support. Every EU country/country state support their local businesses in different ways. In Hamburg they have massiv financial support. In Berlin they do a "we pay for 50% of everthing on the first 100k" you spend. There are some EU-wide projects and country wide projects. Especially when your business focuses on sustainability a lot of financial doors start to open.

Raising VC capital is a complete different game. For public funding you need to convince them on paper: Innovation/ solves a societal problem/ Team qualification. They will read the 30-page-long proposal. Private investors are really human sharks. The analogy of shark tank fits pretty nicely. They want to make more money so you have to pitch them how you are all going to get filfthy rich. Getting the attention and opportunity to pitch is the hardest part. As soon as you are in, every VC and BA is gonna start listening.

I pitched digitally in front of 100 VCs (70%) and BAs about 3 weeks ago. We are currently in "due dilligence" with 6 of them. We are raising a seed round for roughly 700k. Being a doctor comes across really well when the problem you are solving is in the medical field. Not because you have the Dr. but because you can tell the story really well.

The how to do it is really tough. You need them to get to listen to you. They go through 1000s pitch decks each week so you can imagine how difficult it is for them to look at your pitch. Keep it short, simple to understand. Tell the story convincingly. If they dont get it in the first seconds the pitch deck already failed, even though it might have been a billion dollar business.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 9, 2019
I remember being that cocky too when I was in my third and fourth year, when I started my first company. A lot of unrealistic assumptions/red flags in your text but I will set this as a reminder for 10 weeks time and find it out myself, if you update. Please dont be so condescending towards nurse assistants. Get off your high horse.

Are you doing non-invasive aesthetic work? I have some friends that quit their job/locum after a year and are doing that right now. I find it hard to compete vs plastic board certified practises (I did 6 months in a private clinic) but as far as I have heard its a nice side-hustle to have.

You probably have seen a lot of issues in ED during your time. Bad processes, lack of IT, lack of tech etc. There is such a great abundance of issues and space for improvement. Every problem is an opportunity. I found a real problem in the medtech HR place and after a few rounds of pivoting, we are developing a medical HR SAAS business.

We got funded by the European Union and German state government for our project. The funding includes 2500 euros salary for each founder and a mid 5-figure non repayble amount to develop the prototyp. In addition, the state university supports us with free office space and their network. The network support is actually more valuable than the financial support. Every EU country/country state support their local businesses in different ways. In Hamburg they have massiv financial support. In Berlin they do a "we pay for 50% of everthing on the first 100k" you spend. There are some EU-wide projects and country wide projects. Especially when your business focuses on sustainability a lot of financial doors start to open.

Raising VC capital is a complete different game. For public funding you need to convince them on paper: Innovation/ solves a societal problem/ Team qualification. They will read the 30-page-long proposal. Private investors are really human sharks. The analogy of shark tank fits pretty nicely. They want to make more money so you have to pitch them how you are all going to get filfthy rich. Getting the attention and opportunity to pitch is the hardest part. As soon as you are in, every VC and BA is gonna start listening.

I pitched digitally in front of 100 VCs (70%) and BAs about 3 weeks ago. We are currently in "due dilligence" with 6 of them. We are raising a seed round for roughly 700k. Being a doctor comes across really well when the problem you are solving is in the medical field. Not because you have the Dr. but because you can tell the story really well.

The how to do it is really tough. You need them to get to listen to you. They go through 1000s pitch decks each week so you can imagine how difficult it is for them to look at your pitch. Keep it short, simple to understand. Tell the story convincingly. If they dont get it in the first seconds the pitch deck already failed, even though it might have been a billion dollar business.
Well it seems you have alot of experience being both an md and entrepreneur. And I am happy to listen if you want to share some ideas or experience. Especially since you said you read som red flags and I really want to know what those are so I can minimise my risk.

But I would never try to open anything new when when Im studying aswell. I took last semester off since I started to notice I was entering in a depression. Made a quick full recovery and it was the best thing I ever did. It also gave me time to develop the business Idea and network that I have now.

I am actually working as a nurse assistence in the intensive care unit with the corona patients, together with my best friend who is also studying medicine. I do like the work and it is a very important one. It is just that If I am going to trade my time for money, I would prefer it to be something else, even though being a nurses assistent gives me alot, both as a human being and invaluable hands on experience.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hi all.
Im a Swedish, beginner entrepreneur and a halfway medstudent but my real passion is business. I am currently working on opening a more advanced beauty clinic in my city in a prime position where I will be working with beauticians, nurses and doctors of which I own 25%, but due to the corona virus, we will have to prospone the opening 6 month.
My job was to open, administrate and negociate the clinic which will lead to a good side hustle during my studies.
Anyway, during this time, I noticed that I had a talent for negociation and organisation and a burning passion in opening business.
My goal is to not work 9-5 at a hospital when I finish but to have a business or businesses and I will have aquired a unique set of skills.
I do have a high school diploma in business, will be a Mecical Doctor and speak 5 languages and have no fear of moving, hard work or opening.
My question is then if anyone have some business Ideas both for now now, as side hustles and also, thinking bigger in the future, when I can trade time for money and build up a decent Icapital to invest in a bigger idea or company.
Years ago, I knew of twins who were doctors, specializing in surgery. They hated being doctors so they became inventors of medical equipment used in surgeries. They lived off of their patents and selling the tools they manufactured. It's your education. You can use it however you want...

I went to law school. I never practiced as an attorney. I was an expert witness in real estate matters in Los Angeles. I made more per hour than my attorneys. Now I'm a professional real estate investor.

You will have successes and failures. Just make sure to position yourself to fail up rather than falling flat. Make those failures an important step in the right direction. Good luck!

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 9, 2019
Years ago, I knew of twins who were doctors, specializing in surgery. They hated being doctors so they became inventors of medical equipment used in surgeries. They lived off of their patents and selling the tools they manufactured. It's your education. You can use it however you want...

I went to law school. I never practiced as an attorney. I was an expert witness in real estate matters in Los Angeles. I made more per hour than my attorneys. Now I'm a professional real estate investor.

You will have successes and failures. Just make sure to position yourself to fail up rather than falling flat. Make those failures an important step in the right direction. Good luck!
Yeah that is pretty much my idea. When I started med school, I knew that I did not want to work in the hospital, whit the possible exception of maybe a trauma surgeon, intensive care doctor or helicopter doctor since Im a very intense person and have worked for a while in the military, doing intensive things.
I do however know now that I dont want to do that after my time in the ICU as a nurse assistant so I am still looking for interesting things to do when I finish. Just like you and your friends.

Update: Going to see the other clinic on thursday and everything seems well so far. Also things are looking to get back to normal here in sweden (consumption wise) after the corona crisis so the risk of opening is quite low I think.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Yeah that is pretty much my idea. When I started med school, I knew that I did not want to work in the hospital, whit the possible exception of maybe a trauma surgeon, intensive care doctor or helicopter doctor since Im a very intense person and have worked for a while in the military, doing intensive things.
I do however know now that I dont want to do that after my time in the ICU as a nurse assistant so I am still looking for interesting things to do when I finish. Just like you and your friends.

Update: Going to see the other clinic on thursday and everything seems well so far. Also things are looking to get back to normal here in sweden (consumption wise) after the corona crisis so the risk of opening is quite low I think.
Play your odds. I take calculated risks every day. I'm always out to up my odds and hedging my bets. I don't take risks where the odds are against me. And, I'm very conservative in how and when I spend my money. I don't make moves that can kill my game. I always have a plan B and C and D...

I'm big on planning my exit -- no matter how well things are going at the moment. (I've had some pretty spectacular failures from some really unexpected Black Swans over the years.) At this point in my life, putting it all the line isn't worth the risk. But, I'm a lot older than you. Time is on your side right now. Even with saying that, make sure that if & when the sky does fall in on you, you have a viable exit strategy. You don't want to end up being the fall guy who must carry the full load of the failure. You really, really don't want to spend years of your life cleaning up the mess -- with your hands tied behind your back legally and financially.

Make sure that you spread the risk to everyone involved and then mitigate that risk in advance. Everyone making the decision to proceed must have a dog in the fight. Have your "if then" plans for the worst-case scenario in place and ready to execute. I know that many will find this is too negative. It's not. Here's my rule -- If you cannot live with the worst outcome, you cannot make the decision to proceed. Why "if then" plans? If things start to go sideways, you don't have to think through the problem in a crisis when your brain is foggy. You already have your correction or exit plan ready to execute. Review and amend those plans on a regular basis as you go through your different steps of development.

Here's another one of my rules -- This only reason to build a business is to create a viable cash flow for today and a sellable business model for tomorrow. Every step of the way must support those two goals -- make money for today and eventually sell the business. Many professionals, like doctors, lose focus of those goals during the daily grid.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 9, 2019
Play your odds. I take calculated risks every day. I'm always out to up my odds and hedging my bets. I don't take risks where the odds are against me. And, I'm very conservative in how and when I spend my money. I don't make moves that can kill my game. I always have a plan B and C and D...

I'm big on planning my exit -- no matter how well things are going at the moment. (I've had some pretty spectacular failures from some really unexpected Black Swans over the years.) At this point in my life, putting it all the line isn't worth the risk. But, I'm a lot older than you. Time is on your side right now. Even with saying that, make sure that if & when the sky does fall in on you, you have a viable exit strategy. You don't want to end up being the fall guy who must carry the full load of the failure. You really, really don't want to spend years of your life cleaning up the mess -- with your hands tied behind your back legally and financially.

Make sure that you spread the risk to everyone involved and then mitigate that risk in advance. Everyone making the decision to proceed must have a dog in the fight. Have your "if then" plans for the worst-case scenario in place and ready to execute. I know that many will find this is too negative. It's not. Here's my rule -- If you cannot live with the worst outcome, you cannot make the decision to proceed. Why "if then" plans? If things start to go sideways, you don't have to think through the problem in a crisis when your brain is foggy. You already have your correction or exit plan ready to execute. Review and amend those plans on a regular basis as you go through your different steps of development.

Here's another one of my rules -- This only reason to build a business is to create a viable cash flow for today and a sellable business model for tomorrow. Every step of the way must support those two goals -- make money for today and eventually sell the business. Many professionals, like doctors, lose focus of those goals during the daily grid.
I do believe we think very much alike. Everything I do has a plan a, b c and even d.
As such I have planned my exit strategy. Thing is, Sweden is one of thee most easy countries to open a business in. We have a state owned bank who can loan you 20k euros with 72 month of instalment. The intrest is 6%, you can prolong the start of your first instalment for 12 month. Even better, if you bankrupt, you onky have to pay back 10% of what you owe, so 2k euros is my risk with the clinic and I can handle that. To get the loan, the bank need to trust you, your ability and your business idea and in my case, they definetly do and I have already been granted the 20k.
The only thing that can hamper my plans is if I can't prolong the opening date for my other clinic untill next year, which I believa I can and should not be a problem. But that is something I need to check first.

Last edited:

mikepax

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Nov 9, 2018
My question is then if anyone have some business Ideas both for now now, as side hustles and also, thinking bigger in the future, when I can trade time for money and build up a decent capital to invest in a bigger idea or company.

Hi Kokaka,

My name is Mike and I am CTO of an IoT/IoMT company developing tech and tools for hospitals and care facilities. We are rather focused on nursing homes but we look with interest at other segments.

We already collaborate with doctors to develop our products and I find the collaboration amazing. They are incredibly intelligent and know exactly what they want; most of the time the major issue is time (they are overwhelmed with work).

I am writing because we know that the market and appetite for health-tech in the Nordic countries is large, but we haven't really done marketing there yet.

To give you an idea, one of the products we are bringing to market is an advanced bed monitoring system which reduces false alarms to almost 0. Also, by continuously collecting data about the patient behavior in bed we are able to build profiles that are used by doctors to test the effects of sedation and as a additional source of info to monitor the evolution of the patient.

You can find more info here if you want: Zensi Pro

zensi.png

We are also looking at integrating new low-power sensors to help patients, nurses and families in their care giving activities.

If you see some potential synergies with what you want to do, we would be more than happy to have a chat. We could help you with prototyping or develop some of your ideas and we could benefit from your knowledge of medical landscape in Sweden.

Feel free to drop me a line anytime.

Cheers,
Mike

PS. I wrote from phone earlier this week but i see the post didn't work. If the previous post has been cancelled for some reason i apologize.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 9, 2019
Hi Kokaka,

My name is Mike and I am CTO of an IoT/IoMT company developing tech and tools for hospitals and care facilities. We are rather focused on nursing homes but we look with interest at other segments.

We already collaborate with doctors to develop our products and I find the collaboration amazing. They are incredibly intelligent and know exactly what they want; most of the time the major issue is time (they are overwhelmed with work).

I am writing because we know that the market and appetite for health-tech in the Nordic countries is large, but we haven't really done marketing there yet.

To give you an idea, one of the products we are bringing to market is an advanced bed monitoring system which reduces false alarms to almost 0. Also, by continuously collecting data about the patient behavior in bed we are able to build profiles that are used by doctors to test the effects of sedation and as a additional source of info to monitor the evolution of the patient.

You can find more info here if you want: Zensi Pro

View attachment 33249

We are also looking at integrating new low-power sensors to help patients, nurses and families in their care giving activities.

If you see some potential synergies with what you want to do, we would be more than happy to have a chat. We could help you with prototyping or develop some of your ideas and we could benefit from your knowledge of medical landscape in Sweden.

Feel free to drop me a line anytime.

Cheers,
Mike

PS. I wrote from phone earlier this week but i see the post didn't work. If the previous post has been cancelled for some reason i apologize.
Hi Mike.
Your post intrigues me, and I will look into it and see if we can do something together. I have experience working in nursing home and the alarms they used, laser or IR causes alot of false alarms which takes valable time for the nursing assistens. I also have some contacts whitin the area as well as the hospitals which is a bonus.
Further more, I have been rookie of the year for two different sales companies so selling and negotiating is absolutley one of my strong points and is in my blood.
I am however studying for my exam next week so give me some time and we will talk.

mikepax

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Nov 9, 2018
Indeed ir sensors drive the nurses crazy because of the false alarms. Our solution uses very sensitive pressure sensors under the bed and machine learning to virtually eliminate all false alerts and learns patient behavior to detect big changes or anomalies.

I am glad to hear that you are intrigued. No problem, hit me when you have time. All the best with your exam!

kr
mike

josh_ting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jul 12, 2020
Australia
Cool and good luck. Im also a bit stuck inbetween corona and my exam in June. Hope you pass and keep me updated. We need more business minded MD's in the world
Hi Knugs!

I've also completed med school, worked for 7 & a half years in emergency & outpatient, now work in cosmetic.
I do realize the points you made.

Can you talk a bit more about how you raised VC & public capital, and what your company does?
Thanks!
Great to meet you here! ;)
Hi guys

I'm also a medic and I have already completed school and worked a few years in O&T. One year ago I quit the job, started a company in the medical HR industry and raised public as well as VC capital.

Unless you really hate medicine and are going to drop out, DONT start a business. Here's why:

Just like I was in your current position, you are probably overwhelmed, tired and sick of medical school. School slowly killed your passion for the subject and you suddenly wonder why you should work in the profession when there are easier options. You are probably feeling more enthusiastic now about business and starting a company than the medical profession.

But it doesnt work. I tried it. Business and school will massively collide. You will either fail school or the business, or worse: both. Complete school first or quit now. I did the mistake back then and I wished I focused on school.

My advice: finish the degree: Your medical degree and license is far more valuable than you think.
-A well paid job for life (you need capital for your endeavours and a safety net)
-Extremely attractive degree to investors. Much easier to raise capital
-Also very attractive to co-founders and the team. (The face of the company?)
-You get to see REAL problems and find REAL solutions in practise
-You get to go back to medicine/work part-time and still have sweet plan-B.
-The license opens many doors not many entrepreneurs can open.

Hi @Kokaka, @Knugs and @fastlanedoll , I read the whole thread and was wondering how each of you are going now with your respective ventures? I'll be a medical student next year and I've thought about the intersection between medicine and business for a while.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Mine hasn't started. Hahaha.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 9, 2019
Hi @Kokaka, @Knugs and @fastlanedoll , I read the whole thread and was wondering how each of you are going now with your respective ventures? I'll be a medical student next year and I've thought about the intersection between medicine and business for a while.
Hi Verbatim. Good timing since I was just supposed to post here again but fulltime work at the intensive care unut, study and business made this summer the most intense I ever had.
That being said, I opend 3rd of August and its going great, even though I havent had time to market the clinic or make a webpage, people is still able to find it.
I took the upstairs clinic which I am currently renting. I am however on the lookout for my own local and I will go and see an old funeral office on tuesday which is just the nicest local ever, located in a 120 year old palace building with aa location which I will hopefully take 1st of february if everything checks out.
However it has been a bumpy road to get here. First, due to Covid I lost all ability to lease the machines I needed so I was able to somehow get a very good loan on my company. I also learned the value of having a really, really nice suit with matching accesories because if you look like a million bucks at the bank or when you negotiate, chances are they will treat you like a million bucks. Will suit up again on tuesday to negotiate the rent. Thats another thing I have learnt. ALWAYS negotiate and never split the difference. I have been able to save about 30-40k just from hard negotiating.

The Corona pandemic has also been a blessing in desguise for me since I got an idea of looking for expensive machines in countries that has been hit hard by covid, example in tuirist based economies. Last week I picked up a "prime brand" laser hair removal machine from portugal who was refurbished with a warranty of 6 month. I picked up for 17k and took it to Sweden. If I where to buy it new here I would have to pay about 50-60k for the same machine. So when things starts to get rolling for real, I will pick up more machines from other countries.
Another lesson is Fiverr. I got a deal to make a webpage and social media propaganda for 5k from a company in sweden. I will use Fiverr insteadand private contractors there and get the same thing for less than 1k and save even more.
Over all. I have learnt that you can save ALOT if you have some creativity and know how things work in the world. I am currently sitting with over half of my capital left with 50% more stuff that I was planning for by just by being vigilant on other solutions than the easiest and most obvious one.
I will take today off and get starting with the online stuff tomorrow since as soon as I have paid ads on facebook, google and instagram, the business will really take off I believe.

So thats the clinic. I have also found a partner who is civil engineer and has a phd in bio engineering who currently has a hair product company. Will meet him when I come back from my mini vacation and speak about my cosmetics idea and see if we can make something work.

My old boss from when I was a dj in Ibiza has also contacted me about us getting a club together because everything is so cheap or free on the island if you want a business there.

So yeah, I need to take it more easy and make a plan and a strategy since I want to do all but I dont think that is to realistic. But first focus is med school and the clinic, then everything else.

Edit: I think it is good that you begin med school with the intention of merging it whith business when you graduate. I was the same when I started and was telling my peers that I was going to have my own clinic in a country with palm trees and beaches. Well I havent finished but I have my first clinic. Also by having this mentality, you will see alot of possibilities during your venture to becoming a doctor. You will also make a ton of contacts on the way aswell. Like for me, I have met two nurses at the ICU who want to work with me in the clinic the future.

Last edited:

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Hi Verbatim. Good timing since I was just supposed to post here again but fulltime work at the intensive care unut, study and business made this summer the most intense I ever had.
That being said, I opend 3rd of August and its going great, even though I havent had time to market the clinic or make a webpage, people is still able to find it.
I took the upstairs clinic which I am currently renting. I am however on the lookout for my own local and I will go and see an old funeral office on tuesday which is just the nicest local ever, located in a 120 year old palace building with aa location which I will hopefully take 1st of february if everything checks out.
However it has been a bumpy road to get here. First, due to Covid I lost all ability to lease the machines I needed so I was able to somehow get a very good loan on my company. I also learned the value of having a really, really nice suit with matching accesories because if you look like a million bucks at the bank or when you negotiate, chances are they will treat you like a million bucks. Will suit up again on tuesday to negotiate the rent. Thats another thing I have learnt. ALWAYS negotiate and never split the difference. I have been able to save about 30-40k just from hard negotiating.

The Corona pandemic has also been a blessing in desguise for me since I got an idea of looking for expensive machines in countries that has been hit hard by covid, example in tuirist based economies. Last week I picked up a "prime brand" laser hair removal machine from portugal who was refurbished with a warranty of 6 month. I picked up for 17k and took it to Sweden. If I where to buy it new here I would have to pay about 50-60k for the same machine. So when things starts to get rolling for real, I will pick up more machines from other countries.
Another lesson is Fiverr. I got a deal to make a webpage and social media propaganda for 5k from a company in sweden. I will use Fiverr insteadand private contractors there and get the same thing for less than 1k and save even more.
Over all. I have learnt that you can save ALOT if you have some creativity and know how things work in the world. I am currently sitting with over half of my capital left with 50% more stuff that I was planning for by just by being vigilant on other solutions than the easiest and most obvious one.
I will take today off and get starting with the online stuff tomorrow since as soon as I have paid ads on facebook, google and instagram, the business will really take off I believe.

So thats the clinic. I have also found a partner who is civil engineer and has a phd in bio engineering who currently has a hair product company. Will meet him when I come back from my mini vacation and speak about my cosmetics idea and see if we can make something work.

My old boss from when I was a dj in Ibiza has also contacted me about us getting a club together because everything is so cheap or free on the island if you want a business there.

So yeah, I need to take it more easy and make a plan and a strategy since I want to do all but I dont think that is to realistic. But first focus is med school and the clinic, then everything else.

Edit: I think it is good that you begin med school with the intention of merging it whith business when you graduate. I was the same when I started and was telling my peers that I was going to have my own clinic in a country with palm trees and beaches. Well I havent finished but I have my first clinic. Also by having this mentality, you will see alot of possibilities during your venture to becoming a doctor. You will also make a ton of contacts on the way aswell. Like for me, I have met two nurses at the ICU who want to work with me in the clinic the future.

Congrats!!

Is this the same medical spa you talked about earlier that you took over the business?

I've been thinking of doing something similar, like taking over a clinic.
Anything, in particular, to look out for before doing something like this? Thanks!

EDIT: At the back of my mind, I'm always wondering why they would let me take over in the first place if the business's going so well.

Last edited:

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 9, 2019
Congrats!!

Is this the same medical spa you talked about earlier that you took over the business?

I've been thinking of doing something similar, like taking over a clinic.
Anything, in particular, to look out for before doing something like this? Thanks!
Thanks.
Yes its the same. But it tut she wanted 150k for a business valued 30k so I am just renting at the moment. I am still get the other local I wrote about but I have to pay 15k to create proper water, sewage and ventilation. Thats why Im hoping for the funeral office in february since I juat have to build a wall and its good to go.

Taking over a clinic can be a very good idea, but depending on your needs you can also take a good local and convert it. It depends if you need a surgery room or just a hygenic room. I am a strong believer in location, location, location so try to find a local with AA location. I waited almost a year before this clinic became avaliable since I know juat 20 meters can make or breake a business.
Yiu also need to know what standards you need to gave before you open. Like air outflow, number of toilets, strenghts of the electricity in the wall, water sewage and the like for the precedeurs you need to do. I dont know the rules and regulations where you live but here in sweden there are alot and you need to create your local from those standards. Should be an "enveromental office" you can call to get to know all those things.

josh_ting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jul 12, 2020
Australia

Wow, it's amazing what you've achieved so far whilst in medical school. I've always thought of opening up a clinic as something I'd do after going through medical school, specialist training, like 10 or so years down the track (A limiting belief of mine). From what I've observed so far, medicine is a field with distinct hierarchies based on skills, seniority and experience. It's hard for me to imagine how you've managed to convince other health care professionals to work with you as a medical student. Do you think that's a reasonable thought, or is it purely a limiting belief of mine.

Kokaka

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 9, 2019
Wow, it's amazing what you've achieved so far whilst in medical school. I've always thought of opening up a clinic as something I'd do after going through medical school, specialist training, like 10 or so years down the track (A limiting belief of mine). From what I've observed so far, medicine is a field with distinct hierarchies based on skills, seniority and experience. It's hard for me to imagine how you've managed to convince other health care professionals to work with you as a medical student. Do you think that's a reasonable thought, or is it purely a limiting belief of mine.
Well I was of the same thought when I started but it is just a limiting thought. I need to work extra regardless because I nees to pay my bills and I have too much energy enyways so I thought why not open during med school instead. Make more money and work less (hopefully) that I do now and also learn how to run a business.
The Doctors ans nurses who want to work with me does not want to do that because Im a med student. They do it because Im an entrepreneur and business owner who seems to know what hes talking about. Also I have a college with a unique skillset due to her post post beauty surgery treatments so that has been very easy to sell to the local private surgeons.
But yeah, it is absolutley possible, even though I sometimes believe you have to be a bit crazy/excentric to do it.
One advice though is if you want to open something whilst in med school. Try to find a partner who is not studying because when you are studying 10 hours a day you will not have the time to do any treatments yourself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.