The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Kites & Toys Business - Any Ideas To Help My Girlfriend's Parents Turn This Around?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

BlindSide

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 16, 2017
Wichita Kansas
Hello all,

My girlfriend's parents own a kites and toys business that's local in the Midwest. They are both in their 60's, and hurting very much financially, hence the reason for this post. Not expecting a miracle, just seeing if I can gather any ideas that could be relayed to them to help them out.

They tried to build a website, but I feel that they just got scammed by someone for thousands of dollars really. That or her father is just taking way too long to get it done. I'm not sure that they try to sell outside of their local area. Of course, this is a passion-based business, and they have been running for years, so not a complete failure.

But I feel sorry for them, and want to see if there's any avenues they haven't considered that would give them a big boost.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

sparechange

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Hello all,

My girlfriend's parents own a kites and toys business that's local in the Midwest. They are both in their 60's, and hurting very much financially, hence the reason for this post. Not expecting a miracle, just seeing if I can gather any ideas that could be relayed to them to help them out.

They tried to build a website, but I feel that they just got scammed by someone for thousands of dollars really. That or her father is just taking way too long to get it done. I'm not sure that they try to sell outside of their local area. Of course, this is a passion-based business, and they have been running for years, so not a complete failure.

But I feel sorry for them, and want to see if there's any avenues they haven't considered that would give them a big boost.
A simple shopify store for about $40 a month can let them run the buisness still, you don't necessarily need to spend a ton of money on website dev.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jan 19, 2016
Give us MUCH more information then we can make an educated guess on how to help.

Right now we don't know anything.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Honestly people are starved for entertainment right now. Do they have social media? Maybe a pop up sit via Facebook live? A simple shopify website.

Can they reach out to other businesses that have stronger networks. In my community, the goodwill between businesses is amazing!

ShamanKing

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 30, 2018
California
When you say toys can you be more specific? Like brand what type of toys like cars, stuffed animals etc...
Toys were my favorite to sell on eBay.

OP
OP
BlindSide

BlindSide

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 16, 2017
Wichita Kansas
A simple shopify store for about $40 a month can let them run the buisness still, you don't necessarily need to spend a ton of money on website dev.
Agreed, this was a big issue I had with the route he was taking. Felt that it was taking way too long for them.

Give us MUCH more information then we can make an educated guess on how to help.

Right now we don't know anything.
What do you need?
Honestly people are starved for entertainment right now. Do they have social media? Maybe a pop up sit via Facebook live? A simple shopify website.

Can they reach out to other businesses that have stronger networks. In my community, the goodwill between businesses is amazing!
Love this. Where they are from, I would say the store is somewhat popular, due to the tight-knit community with other businesses. Her mother is absolutely INCREDIBLE at networking as well. They both can talk, but she has a great way of building a great connection with people.

They do utilize IG and FB, I'll have to check their numbers and see what they can do to leverage those avenues. They often only use it to make short videos, but giveaways, contests, etc.. wonder if they could do more.
When you say toys can you be more specific? Like brand what type of toys like cars, stuffed animals etc...
Toys were my favorite to sell on eBay.
This has always been something I've discussed with them - that's the actual name of the company. But it varies SO much! Store inventory consists of:

- Kites
- Random toys (board games; kids toys like dinosaurs and hot wheels; family friendly games). It's hard to narrow down, because it genuinely feels like they just choose at random.
- Where they are from, they have a great sense of community there. So they will sell shirts, and other trinkets that symbolize the community (think college team logos, city logo, etc.)

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Honestly social media is the way to go right now if I were them. Have the mom reach out to other businesses and see if they can start doing giveaways, sales, etc. Any toys that have that are educational or get people outside would be my focus. I can't remember the last time I saw a kid flying a kite! They could easily do a lot of sales right now if they start RIGHT NOW.

ShamanKing

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 30, 2018
California
Agreed, this was a big issue I had with the route he was taking. Felt that it was taking way too long for them.

What do you need?

Love this. Where they are from, I would say the store is somewhat popular, due to the tight-knit community with other businesses. Her mother is absolutely INCREDIBLE at networking as well. They both can talk, but she has a great way of building a great connection with people.

They do utilize IG and FB, I'll have to check their numbers and see what they can do to leverage those avenues. They often only use it to make short videos, but giveaways, contests, etc.. wonder if they could do more.

This has always been something I've discussed with them - that's the actual name of the company. But it varies SO much! Store inventory consists of:

- Kites
- Random toys (board games; kids toys like dinosaurs and hot wheels; family friendly games). It's hard to narrow down, because it genuinely feels like they just choose at random.
- Where they are from, they have a great sense of community there. So they will sell shirts, and other trinkets that symbolize the community (think college team logos, city logo, etc.)
I’ve sold thing(s) in each category you just named. Check out the SOLD history on eBay and Amazon and I’m sure you can make something work. Then again the big boys will take a % but its a win-win. GL!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
I recently bought an ebook from Kobo. It was one of the few places where I could find that...
MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
I have zero coding skills whatsoever. Are coding skills needed? Will the be learned in the...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@LynX You know, this is a "Marketplace" Thread. Completely appropriate to offer goods and...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock