The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

analog to digital switch

Anything related to investing, including crypto

venom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 6, 2007
Hey

One more year and you can say adios to analog tv. The list below are the companies that are going to be making the boxes the government is going to subsidize. Maybe some stock plays ?People will also be replacing tv's and vcr/dvd recorders......
Rob

Coupon Eligible Converter Boxes (CECB)
The NTIA will maintain a list of approved CECBs to distribute to consumers and participating retailers.
The following is the list of approved CECBs.
  • AMTC AT-2016
  • AccessHD DTA1010D
  • AccessHD DTA1010U
  • Apex DT1001
  • Artec T3A
  • CASTi CAX-01
  • COSHIP N9900T
  • DigitalSTREAM D2A1D20
  • DigitalSTREAM DTX9900
  • DigitalSTREAM D2A1D10
  • ECHOSTAR TR-40
  • Goodmind DTA1000
  • Insignia NS-DXA1
  • Lasonic LTR-260
  • Lasonic LTA-260
  • Magnavox TB100MW9
  • MaxMedia MMDTVB03
  • MicroGEM MG2000
  • Philco TB100HH9
  • Philco TB150HH9
  • RCA DTA800
  • Sansonic FT300A
  • Sansonic FT300RT
  • VENTURER STB7766G
  • Zenith DTT900

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Venom (aka Rob aka Spidey)

Is there any use to all those old TVs and VCR/DVD recorders? Maybe some kind of export? If you want to kick around some ideas, I'm game. There could be some tax advantages here. (US govt has some interesting programs for exports because they are trying to work on the balance of trade)

Your timing is great. We were having this same conversation last night at my house.

Stringer

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 13, 2008
Ontario, Canada
These boxes are not going to be very profitable for most electronics companies. The technology is simple enough that the budget Chinese brands will dominate this market and kill profit margins.

The only play I could see here is investing in consumer electronics companies that are leaders in HDTV. HDTVs are poised for a big jump with the introduction of more sources of high definition content. As prices continue to drop and content is shifted away from standard definition more and more, HDTVs will penetrate the marketplace in a big way. After all, after Johnny up the street shows you his 50" flat screen hanging on his wall he got for $800 you probably won't be satisfied with your clunky 27" tube in your living room.

John

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Sep 18, 2007
How about recycling the old units? Are the raw materials worth the cost of extracting them?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Well, I love your idea, Diane.

I was thinking about this:

Collect them (you are helping people to get rid of them instead of throwing them away)
Send them to third world countries as learning tools for distance learning.
These two activities would be done by a non-profit.

Another company would develop the courses for distance learning and will coordinate this with the government from these countries so you can use their airwaves (i.e. antennas) to distribute the signal.

You are making a second use of these devices and providing a social responsible solution by providing education to people that don't have access at all.

Is this the kind of ideas you were thinking of?

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Well, I love your idea, Diane.

I was thinking about this:

Collect them (you are helping people to get rid of them instead of throwing them away)
Send them to third world countries as learning tools for distance learning.
These two activities would be done by a non-profit.

Another company would develop the courses for distance learning and will coordinate this with the government from these countries so you can use their airwaves (i.e. antennas) to distribute the signal.

You are making a second use of these devices and providing a social responsible solution by providing education to people that don't have access at all.

Is this the kind of ideas you were thinking of?

Wow! Is this possible? This seems like a great project to take on.

AND if we could get charitable contributions for the people donating them, get organized through schools and/or churches to collect, get a delivery company to get them some place central and then ship to a country in need of education that has electricity available....this could be huge.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
To clarify what Spidey (Venom) said:

The companies he lists are manufacturing SET TOP BOXES.

They're cheap ($30-60).

You hook them up to your HDTV cable or antenna, and they output their signal TO YOUR OLD (Non-HDTV) SET.

So yes, more and more people are going to be upgrading.

But these set top boxes are for the people that *don't* upgrade-- they just want to get the minimum to make their existing TVs work.

BTW, the US govt will be issuing coupons for these set top boxes, making them pretty close to free.

So the companies listed above are, in essence, going to get a govt-sponsored MASSIVE sales drive (MILLIONS of boxes will be sold/coupon'd)

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

venom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 6, 2007
The site with the coupon and details http://www.ntiadtv.gov/home.cfm

Thanks Russ
I just figured people already knew the details....
So far two million coupons - we are up to 80 million $$$$ already.

Theres a few plays here.

If you upgrade then your talking new tv and vcr's. Bestbuy and brandsmart will benefit.

Even if you upgrade your tv. You still need a cable box for TIVO and for those with vcr's and dvd burners.

You could likely create a mini fund with the retailers and a few of the set top box companies.

Press Release: Commerce's NTIA Certifies More Than 250 Retailers and 19 Converter Box Models for TV Converter Box Coupon Program

More than one million applicants request two million coupons

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 7, 2008
Rich Mills (DOC) 202-482-4883

LAS VEGAS -- The U. S. Department of Commerce's National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) announced today at the world's largest consumer technology tradeshow that more than 250 retailers, representing more than 15,000 outlets nationwide, are certified to participate in a program to aid in the transition to digital television. Also, 19 converter box models are eligible for purchase with the coupon and more are being tested as part of the certification process.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.