The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Analog meter to digital

bambambam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 3, 2016
Hello- brainstorming possible ideas for a solution to a pain point we experience in our house each month.

Does anyone know of a way to convert an analog type meter that must be read (like on some propane tanks) to a digital meter that can transmit readings digitally?
One solution is to completely remove the analog meter and physically replace with a new digital one. this would be expensive and labor intensive.

I’m looking for some sort of additional piece or adaptor to link the existing dial/meter to a digital
one. Any ideas? Let me know if this is unclear.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Feb 26, 2016
You want us to come up with a solution for you?

giphy.gif

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello- brainstorming possible ideas for a solution to a pain point we experience in our house each month.

Does anyone know of a way to convert an analog type meter that must be read (like on some propane tanks) to a digital meter that can transmit readings digitally?
One solution is to completely remove the analog meter and physically replace with a new digital one. this would be expensive and labor intensive.

I’m looking for some sort of additional piece or adaptor to link the existing dial/meter to a digital
one. Any ideas? Let me know if this is unclear.

Thanks!

Get an iPhone, put the camera on the gauge, write an app that reads where the gauge is and sends its result to a server every 10 seconds.

bambambam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 3, 2016
You want us to come up with a solution for you?

Thanks for the input, Greg. What is the point of this forum if not to collaborate, educate, motivate each other? What benefit does your reply provide? I clearly stated I was brainstorming and wondering if anyone had any ideas. Go back to your pedestal and stay away from threads asking for help if you cannot provide any.

bambambam

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 3, 2016
Get an iPhone, put the camera on the gauge, write an app that reads where the gauge is and sends its result to a server every 10 seconds.

Thanks for the idea. This gauge is a numerical gauge that reads flow. I only need readings every X amount of days. Not sure an app is the best solution as the gauge is not easily accessible

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks for the idea. This gauge is a numerical gauge that reads flow. I only need readings every X amount of days. Not sure an app is the best solution as the gauge is not easily accessible

You need to figure out how the gauge reads flow.

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
The simplest and cheapest way I can think of (without replacing the gauge):

1. place a camera
2. link it to wifi or mobile network
3. take picture of the gauge and send it to a computer
4. process the image on the computer to read the value

You can even find sample code online, this one is from 2006: http://www.eissq.com/DialADC.html

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
P.s.: based on your posts you might want to seriously consider partnering with (or hiring) someone who possesses more technical/engineering knowledge than you do and shift your focus to areas you are better at.

FlipFlops

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Nov 26, 2017
Poipu, Kauai, HI
Boats use an electronic standard called NMEA 2000 or N2k. You can purchase all kinds of sensors which convert to digital signals. Most are used to display on a chartplotter. Fuel tank level, rudder position, holding tank level, propane tank level ( Maretron - Marine Tank Monitoring Products )

Not sure if that is what your looking for.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.