The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

An Almost Successful Deal

csnare

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 23, 2013
Broomfield, Colorado
Hi, this is my first post. A short story to tell: I attended a real estate seminar years ago and later used one of the methods they taught. I found an owner of a new retirement home near Sun City, Arizona (He wanted to move into a different home that was actually in Sun City) wanted to sell and was willing to carry a loan with $10K down. I offered $5K now and another $5K in one year. Deal made, I found a buyer who put $5K down with a promise to get permanent loan within one year. (A lawyer was used to set up the details) So now I had a nice new home (nice barrel tile roof -- pretty house). The monthly payments from my buyer more than covered payments to the seller. Unfortunately my buyer was unable to get permanent financing and I could not come up with the second payment of $5K and the whole deal went bad. Anyway, this was my first experience as a beginning entrepreneur. I still remember my guru telling me that "if I need money, buy something."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Huh?

So from the perspective of the seller, you screwed him over? If he was posting here, what would be his perspective of this "deal" that blew up?

I still remember my guru telling me that "if I need money, buy something."

Sounds like you should FIRE your guru.

csnare

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 23, 2013
Broomfield, Colorado
Huh?

So from the perspective of the seller, you screwed him over? If he was posting here, what would be his perspective of this "deal" that blew up?

Sounds like you should FIRE your guru.
I did fire my guru. This is a deal that happened several decades ago. It ended with the original seller getting $5K cash plus one year of monthly payments, and then reclaiming his property. The second "buyer" knew he had to come up with the balance in the form of a mortgage or cash, else lose his $5k initial payment plus one year of payments, which is what happened. I got a headache and a lesson in what not to do (and never did this again).

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007