The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

America's most expensive homes, where you living?

Threads with an onging chat or conversation

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Stuff like this always inspires me and I'm proud that I can actually afford a few of these, then some others, not even close. Gotta grind harder and build bigger! LOL

Question is, if you could live in any of these -- price and TAXES no object -- where you live?

For me...

Washington ... $75M
Arizona ... $75M
Florida... $98M

and surprise...

Vermont...

Close seconds...

California and Colorado ($100M)

While some might find this exercise futile, I do not.

I feel like these kinds of things are within my reach if I'm simply willing to put in the work into the system and the organization.

If you subscribe to FASTLANE IDEALS, you should too.

There are NO LIMITS to what you can accomplish if your organization can deliver massive value.

1695306484794.png

1695306287230.png

1695306668110.png

1695306726735.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
My experience in the San Juans, where the Washington house is, was as a tourist on a boat, as well as on a sailboat race to one of the islands and back to Anacortes.

Very gorgeous out there with what can be some intense rain/windy weather. I would like it for part of the year. After 8 years of living in the Seattle area I couldn't stand the constant dark winters. If I was staying there part time though and could leave at my convenience, it would be really cool. So would parts of the Olympic peninsula, and more interior by Lake Wenatchee.

Arizona has a good vibe to a lot of places, especially in winter. Florida, well, I am here and a nice place like that would be worth it if it was easy enough to get where I wanted to be.

I'd go WA summer/fall and AZ/FL in the other seasons. Be a full time snow bird.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
I wouldn't need a super big, fancy house. But I would want to have a big property without any direct neighbors.

4297274466c85f50de7c23c1317c69f8-cc_ft_960.jpg

9ad5a1fd76e264cb746e3435a984bcec-cc_ft_576.jpg

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
@MJ DeMarco

Here was a house I was looking at in Seattle, WA. I was looking at Condinums around the ocean/water/mountainside. I know I probably shouldn't be looking at houses like this right now considering my financial state.

But this was one.

And a few more:

One
Two

I kinda of stopped dreaming a bit about owning a house a bit because of where my credit stands. I have I believe 5-7 derogatory marks on accounts I'm not proud of. I have made debt settlements with them to pay them off, but not the full balances.

The only way I thought I could own a home was to pay it straight when/if I sold a company one day. I am perfectly okay with being in an apartment for years until that day comes.

I didn't know else how I could afford one with my current credit rating, but I was just thinking ahead longtime for how I wanted my life to be like in 6 to 10 years.

At one point I couldn't see a way out.

ChrisStanton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 20, 2023
53CF0844-BDFB-490E-8B91-3EE38BF7A8AE.jpeg
8.9million

If you are willing to move to Ohio you can get maga mansions for a fraction of what the same place would cost elsewhere. Only downside is that its Ohio Lol.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
I took a harbor cruise in the nearby town of Portsmouth, New Hampshire. I would argue the best state in the USA(though I'm sure I'll get plenty of pushback). Regardless, on this harbor cruise going out toward the Atlantic Ocean, there are a bunch of small islands. Some are connected by roads while others are uninhabited. The house below is not for sale but is the house I aspire to live in one day. It is the only house on the island. There is a small bridge to the island. Imagine that, you have your own bridge to your own island—kind of badass.

My assumption is the house is between $10-20 Million

You get the benefit of privacy(your own island) while still living close to a small city.
381064307_153826417784690_5557232121888520547_n.jpg381056730_329135192940685_7051291270676181031_n.jpg

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
346%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida

I will own this exact home.

I drive past Sanctuary Lane every day and get chills down my spine. It's gated, and I have no access. there's a burning curiosity in me.. it's like a magic world on the otherside.. I want to enter that magic world.

I moved to Boca Raton to get there. Currently I'm at the bottom tier of my visioned hierarchy. I feel like I was magnetized to this city. Moving cities has opened up opportunities.

Step 1 is to have an office, and a team, and a product with potential for exponential growth.

Step 2 is to do anything it takes to get to the top of my hierarchy.

Last edited:

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Not exactly in this location but this style of house. Previously built by our colonial overlords (The British) during the occupation of Ireland. Many have fallen into dilapidation as they are very big properties and much of the grounds have been sold off or returned to Irish farmers when the country gained independence. I would love to build up an estate here. Elsewhere in the world I would want to own a big villa with a pool but the Irish weather isn't built for that!

Marlfield House & Estate, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, ... - BidX1

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
What a cool thread and a very inspiring article. I don't spend much money but if there's one thing I still want to spend money on, it's real estate.

Currently I'm only spending money renting Airbnbs in cool places. But once I find a place I really enjoy, I'd love to buy or build a house there.

My dream is to own 2-3 houses around the world, have them all furnished the way I like and with exact copies of all of my stuff (like clothes, sports gear, etc.). Then I'd travel between them with only the most personal items in my carry-on backpack so that it's super easy to move between them.

As cool as it is to try different Airbnbs, something is always wrong with each place. Either the outdoor furniture is terrible, or there's a little too much noise from a nearby road, or the bed could be more comfortable, or they lack some useful appliances, or the entrance gate is a pain to open, or the Internet connection is slow, or a neighbor is loud, etc.

Then there's also all the research and the worry that even after all this research, you'll still encounter some surprises. And of course, then there's the fact that you can't stay as long as you like as there may be other bookings in the future.

It would be so nice to own 2-3 homes in places you love and set everything up in the same or similar way as that would greatly diminish the time needed to adapt to a new place. As the seasons change, I'd move to always enjoy the best weather and the best lifestyle.

As for expensive houses in general, I never understood how people could spend millions on houses with neighbors right across the fence. I would much rather have a small house on a big lot outside of it all than a big house on a small lot but in a "high-status" neighborhood.

To me, as @MakeItHappen wrote, the only way is to have a house without any direct neighbors. First and foremost, I'm looking for peace and quiet. What's the point of spending a shit ton of money only to still be surrounded by other humans on all sides and never feel 100% free and private in your own home?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I'll play. Since T Boone Pickens' place sold, I'd have to go with something like this.

This was Mesa Vista for those that are wondering. A steal at 60 million. It seems his kids were douchebags.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
IMG_2271.jpegWell, if we’re talking expensive nice, in Canada, here’s this one.

Its going for 22.5 million canadian.

With 3.119 acres of land, and Over 15K Sq Ft Of Living Space, 6+2 Beds, 10 Baths, 10+ Parking, 7 Fireplaces, Bordeaux Inspired Wine Cellar, Tasting/Cigar Rm, Grand Dining Rm W/ Fire, Luxe Sauna, Two Pools, Tennis Crt, Reflecting Pond, Gym, Nanny Suite & Sunset View And A Golf Course Near By.

Its legit my dream house, I would drive a Ferrari on the inside of the house:rofl:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I wouldn't need a super big, fancy house. But I would want to have a big property without any direct neighbors.

4297274466c85f50de7c23c1317c69f8-cc_ft_960.jpg

9ad5a1fd76e264cb746e3435a984bcec-cc_ft_576.jpg
I cannot understand people in my city that spend millions on a waterfront property where you can hear the neighbour's kid scream and someone taking a shit. No neighbours is a must.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I'm going beachfront in Bali.

12 room luxury Villa for sale in Tabanan, Bali - 45819542

b3.jpg
b1.jpgb2.jpg

It's a mile or two up the beach from this villa below which I rented for 6 months back in 2019 and I can't stop thinking about moving back to the area. Actually, someone from the forum here rented a room off me for a few months lol. Good times! The one I rented is for sale at 3.5 mil but that's for all 4 villas.
1_75_0.jpg

Last edited:

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
  1. The One - Los Angeles, California
    • This massive Bel Air estate was listed for $500 million in 2020, making it one of the most expensive homes in the United States. It boasts 105,000 square feet of living space, a nightclub, a bowling alley, a 30-car garage, and stunning views of Los Angeles.
  2. The Chartwell Estate - Bel Air, California
    • The Chartwell Estate was listed for $195 million in 2019. This historic mansion spans over 25,000 square feet and features a ballroom, a wine cellar, and beautifully landscaped gardens. It gained fame as the setting for the Clampett family's mansion in the TV show "The Beverly Hillbillies."
  3. The Manor - Holmby Hills, California
    • Originally listed for $200 million in 2017, The Manor is a grand chateau-style mansion with 56,500 square feet of living space. It features 14 bedrooms, a beauty salon, a movie theater, and a bowling alley. It's known for its opulent design and extravagant amenities.
  4. Malibu Beachfront Estate - Malibu, California
    • Malibu is home to some of the most expensive beachfront properties in the country. These properties can range from $50 million to well over $100 million, offering stunning ocean views, private beaches, and luxurious amenities.
  5. The Woolworth Mansion - New York City, New York
    • Located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, this historic mansion was listed for around $90 million in 2019. The mansion has 35 rooms, a grand ballroom, and a rooftop terrace with panoramic views of the city.
  6. Palm Beach Mansions - Palm Beach, Florida
    • Palm Beach is known for its upscale real estate market, with numerous multi-million-dollar mansions and estates. These properties often feature lavish architecture, expansive gardens, and waterfront access.
  7. Greenwich Estates - Greenwich, Connecticut
    • Greenwich is a wealthy suburb of New York City and is home to many luxurious estates. Some of the most expensive properties here can range from $30 million to over $100 million, offering privacy, spacious grounds, and top-notch amenities.
Thanks For THE MOST AI generated post ever:rofl::rofl:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I scroll Zillow and do the math

50M

Mortgage 420k a month

Monthly income needed 1.25M a month

Avg profit per month per crew: 6,000

Crews needed: 208

Customers per crew: 100

Needed customers: 20,800

Can I find that many people in all of the United States that need a basic home service? I hope so.

Signup time is in the spring. It’s about 120 days that we give most of our quotes.

If every year we signup twice as many people as before what does our next 5 years need to look like?

X+2X+4X+8X+16X=20,800
31X=20,800
X=703

So I need 703 customers. Over 120 days in the spring to sign them up that’s 5.8 rounded up to 6 signups per day.

I just need a way to stay organized signing up 6 people a day. Then I need to improve only enough to double the amount of signups we do the next year. And then continue that each year.

Easier said than done, but not unachievable whatsoever.

Now just gotta go get em!

Your attitude and outlook changes a lot when your income turns into a math equation that you have control over instead of a depressing “oh look, I’d have to work at my job with no days off for 923 years to afford this house….nice.”

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Monthly income needed 1.25M a month

Avg profit per month per crew: 6,000

Crews needed: 208

Customers per crew: 100

Needed customers: 20,800
So the profit is just $60/customer/month? That sounds extremely low. There surely has to be a better businessmodel in your industry. Maybe go B2B and do maintenance for bigger stuff - stadiums come to mind. Or add landscaping to the mix. You’d get there much faster if your profit/customer were much bigger.

Service businesses that rely on people to scale become a real pain in the a$$ as they get bigger in terms of volume. It may be better to get bigger in terms of margins/profit instead.

In my business, raising margins, instead of getting more and more customers, has recently become priority numero uno.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
So the profit is just $60/customer/month? That sounds extremely low. There surely has to be a better businessmodel in your industry. Maybe go B2B and do maintenance for bigger stuff - stadiums come to mind. Or add landscaping to the mix. You’d get there much faster if your profit/customer were much bigger.

Service businesses that rely on people to scale become a real pain in the a$$ as they get bigger in terms of volume. It may be better to get bigger in terms of margins/profit instead.

In my business, raising margins, instead of getting more and more customers, has recently become priority numero uno.

Apple profits 2022
100 billion

Apple users
1.5 billion

Apple profit per customer per year
$66

$5.55 a month.

Maybe.....just maybe....$ per customer is not a GREAT KPI to worry about.

"that's a bad example, that $5.55 a month per customer is very misleading, it doesn't tell the whole story and has nothing to do with their actual margins or business model"

exactly.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England

Greenthumb in UK has 220 franchisees and does 2.5 million visits a year. The US population is 6x greater than UK so I think @Johnny boy will be just fine. ;)

All Greenthumb do is make your lawn green and lush again. So a simple service.

Dan

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Apple profits 2022
100 billion

Apple users
1.5 billion

Apple profit per customer per year
$66

$5.55 a month.

Maybe.....just maybe....$ per customer is not a GREAT KPI to worry about.

"that's a bad example, that $5.55 a month per customer is very misleading, it doesn't tell the whole story and has nothing to do with their actual margins or business model"

exactly.
Apple sells a physical product (or even better, digital products like apps), not a service. Physical products are a lot more scaleable by nature, and they also scale faster. If you have an ecom business and your profit is $50/customer, it's not such a big deal.

But with a local service business, at least in my eyes, it ends up being a massive pain in the a$$. It's the same thing for my customers, digital agencies. Nobody wants more customers, they all want higher paying customers, so they can make more money without requiring them to keep adding more and more people to the team.

It's one thing when you get the money, and bye bye, I'll see you next year, and another thing when you get the money and then you've got to service people for that money. You need bigger margins for the latter.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Apple sells a physical product (or even better, digital products like apps), not a service. Physical products are a lot more scaleable by nature, and they also scale faster. If you have an ecom business and your profit is $50/customer, it's not such a big deal.

But with a local service business, at least in my eyes, it ends up being a massive pain in the a$$. It's the same thing for my customers, digital agencies. Nobody wants more customers, they all want higher paying customers, so they can make more money without requiring them to keep adding more and more people to the team.

It's one thing when you get the money, and bye bye, I'll see you next year, and another thing when you get the money and then you've got to service people for that money. You need bigger margins for the latter.
Ltv is about 1400 profit per customer

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Johnnyboy's business could reach 1/5th or 1/4 of these proposed numbers and he can reinvest the profit that's its throwing off into Real Estate, Stocks or whatever he likes and he'll reach his target number. The snowball keeps getting bigger.

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jan 17, 2023
“oh look, I’d have to work at my job with no days off for 923 years to afford this house….nice.”
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

But seriously: I personally have little to no understanding of the appeal of a house like this. That's probably because I can't afford it, but even if I could, the thought of owning it seems strange but, above all, deprives me of my freedom. When I look at these or similar buildings, one thing comes to mind: effort and local connection due to the investment. The first thing is clear. By the second, I mean that with such a large investment I have to live in the property. Not 365 days a year, but at least most of the time to justify my investment. And please let's now exclude the cases of Elon and Co. who have/had such properties and use them for 1-2 weeks a year.

For me, real estate for personal use - even smaller ones - is one thing above all: depriving of freedom. I'm in this forum for exactly one reason: to achieve (financial) freedom in the long term. I may be financially secure with my own home, but it represents an obligation that takes away my freedom. As I said, I don't fully understand the appeal, but visually I find such properties absolutely fascinating, but the use case doesn't make sense to me personally. When it comes to size, I also see it as very questionable.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I’ve been watching selling the oc

I love watching shows like this and seeing the insane houses and the massive deals they do for them

I like seeing what the buyers do as well

The first episode is a house selling for 100m paying a 3% commission. Wtf.

The thing that blows my mind even more is it seems most of these buyers for these houses I could almost never dream of buying, are buying them as 2nd or 3rd or 4th homes to stay at occasionally

Really gets you thinking bigger

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
For me, real estate for personal use - even smaller ones - is one thing above all: depriving of freedom. I'm in this forum for exactly one reason: to achieve (financial) freedom in the long term. I may be financially secure with my own home, but it represents an obligation that takes away my freedom. As I said, I don't fully understand the appeal, but visually I find such properties absolutely fascinating, but the use case doesn't make sense to me personally. When it comes to size, I also see it as very questionable.

This sounds like something Charles Schwab would write lol

Only joking, I understand that people at different stages of life have different requirements.
I don't think having a 100mill property would take away freedom though, you'd have a team of people managing it for you.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
deprives me of my freedom

Yes, because you're analyzing ownership through the prism of a middle-class existence.

Homes like this are managed by other people and made hassle free, most likely, just like the owner's company which allowed the owner to afford this huge house in the first place.

I bought my house and an optional "caretaker" came with the home, as long as I was willing to pay his salary. He would take care of all the hassles you errantly predict would steal your freedom.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.