The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Amazon to acquire Goodreads

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Was creating an Author Central account and saw this:

Hello –

We’re happy to announce that Amazon has reached an agreement to acquire Goodreads, a leading site for readers and book recommendations that helps people find and share books they love.
Amazon and Goodreads share a passion for reinventing reading, a love of books, and an appreciation for the authors who write them. We both work every day to help authors like you reach a wider audience and make a better living at your craft, and together with Goodreads we intend to build many new ways to delight authors and readers alike.
We’re excited to help create an even more powerful offering for all of our authors, and we hope you are too. You can read more in the press release here and the blog post from Goodreads here.
Best,

The Author Central Team

I haven't messed around with Goodreads yet. Anyone with more experience have any predictions on what this might mean for writers?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
This is old news, kinda. It means that Amazon should integrate Goodreads and their reviews into Amazon.com more and that should be good sign. Also, might increase the sales of books through GR. On a different note, it's another way Amazon expands it's dominance in publishing and buy a company that could be a competitor.. Anyway, I believe this buy is good news mostly.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, it just means I need to do more with Goodreads, to see if it helps me via Amazon. Man, who knew that authors had to do more than just write? ;)

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Yeah, it just means I need to do more with Goodreads, to see if it helps me via Amazon. Man, who knew that authors had to do more than just write? ;)

I don't know much about Goodreads, but I imagine Amazon will figure out a way to link everything through their API so writers won't have to do much (like maintain two profiles). Goodreads Author Program appears to be a direct competitor to Amazon's Author Central. I imagine they'll just bring it under that roof on the back-end.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Breaking Free

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I don't know much about Goodreads, but I imagine Amazon will figure out a way to link everything through their API so writers won't have to do much (like maintain two profiles). Goodreads Author Program appears to be a direct competitor to Amazon's Author Central. I imagine they'll just bring it under that roof on the back-end.

I don't think it's a direct competitor. Goodreads basically lets people discuss books and let authors promote their stuff. Though I noticed on my Goodreads book I have options to buy it anywhere... I wonder if Amazon will shut that part down?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.