• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION AMAZON FBA - The Journey Begins

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Ayanle Farah, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $15,650
    Amazon just sent their email on long term storage fees... Half of it was written in Chinese characters.

That says a LOT about the competition.

2. Out of Touch

Out of Touch Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $382
    This prediction from over a year ago seems pretty accurate:
    Competing against your own supplier... What a nightmare.

Edit: It seems that language barriers and other mishaps are what helps you maintain an edge over Chinese suppliers directly selling on Amazon. See @spraybottle 's post below. Nevertheless, unwanted competition is unwanted competition.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Kak likes this.
  3. Neng Her

Neng Her New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $52
    Hmm. So you are going to dive into Amazon FBA without researching? Look at Shopify while you are at it also. I almost pull the trigger on Shopify (Dropshipping) and FBA but it violates CENTS. With that being said you can still produce high income from it and I believe it provides good experience. Please do keep us posted.

Ayanle Farah likes this.
  4. spraybottle

spraybottle Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $288
    I think a lot of people here have said some hard to swallow things but they come from the right place. They don't want another rookie to mess up and fail.

With that being said, I personally do FBA and did $30,000 in one month from my first product on Amazon (Q2) so I know FBA works and I fell in love with the business model when I realized I didn't have to fulfill orders which I had experience doing from past ventures which quite frankly sucked a$$. I do have to mention that I didn't source my product from China. I used junglescout, found my niche that was underserved, looked at the metrics to see how many sales people were doing, and then proceeded to call every manufacturer in america that could develop and source my product until one listened to what I had to say and give it a go. It helped I wasn't reinventing the wheel. In that way I differentiated myself from other gimmicky sellers selling the same thing on Amazon, which, by the way, can work as long as you have enough good reviews, quality products, and better copy. I don't even bat an eye at the chinese sellers because they tend to do alot of shady stuff with their reviews, their copy usually reads like a dictionary with grammatical errors, and it screams chinese which people are getting smarter and smarter and avoiding.

One nugget I can give you is to understand the bigger picture when you're selling your product. It's not always about making x% for every good you sell. Working with amazon's algorithm to place organically at the top, your first goal with your product is to get reviews to increase CTR and increase sales velocity. Period. Then, the organic sales will come naturally as long as everything else is good.

I say press on my friend, don't let naysayers discourage you from taking action. Just be careful in how you spend money because it quickly adds up and more often than not, you end up spending more than what you expected to get it going and cash flow is tricky with re-ordering stock and additional costs associated with advertising, etc.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  5. Out of Touch

Rep Bank:
    $382
    The initial pessimism in this thread was because @Ayanle Farah was insisting on jumping into the fray completely blind and I'm glad that he's willing to at least do some research.

While the later pessimism comes from Amazon's current reputation on the forum. Its reputation is best expressed in the topic's tags.

It just seems that more seasoned veterans have been moving away from relying on Amazon on the basis that launching a product and a brand is considerably more difficult than in the past because of violations to the commandment of Entry and Control.

NOTABLE! - Navigating the changes at Amazon since we started
    NOTABLE! - My opinion of the Amazon Marketplace

But I also think that one of the most important things to do is to get started. Anything. Just get something out there. And that seems to be what @Ayanle Farah wants to do as well.

Ayanle Farah and Walter Hay like this.
  6. Ayanle Farah

Ayanle Farah Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,361
    Thanks alot Spraybottle, it'd be great if my product could also be manufactured in my country instead of needing to import but I'm learning about the topics involved with running this business atm, once I've studied those I'll put together a solid plan of action.

I'm well aware there is no barrier to entry and very little control as I don't own the platform.

Before I just wanted to jump in but after thinking about it, I realized that won't do me good in the long run.

So I'm researching and learning atm.

Out of Touch likes this.
  7. Out of Touch

Rep Bank:
    $382
    Are you still planing to launch on Amazon?

Ayanle Farah likes this.
  8. Ayanle Farah

Rep Bank:
    $1,361
    Yes, I'm going to launch on Amazon, I've decided this is going to be my fastlane.

9. Minus9

Minus9 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $72
    What sucks about Amazon is the fact that it controls every single thing and can kill you within a second, but also the reward is greater.

I am in a group with several successful FBA sellers helping each other out, if you're interested in that. But the mentality that just because it gives instructions, you won't use something is stupid and also not read on it.

Use Junglescout for stats only, not research. Do research on your own otherwise you'll be having the same products as a dozen others. And do watch videos and learn, they're helpful. You'll have trial and error regardless if you read a book or get a course, there's way too many I encounter that are so confident in their product that I simply tell them to not go with it because by my experience and knowledge, I know what's good to sell.

Regardless, good luck with your journey. I hope you do study some of it.

Walter Hay and Ayanle Farah like this.
  10. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $15,650
    Wow.

YoungPadawan and Ayanle Farah like this.
  11. Ayanle Farah

Rep Bank:
    $1,361
    You didn't read the rest of the thread where I decided I changed my mind about not researching, and thanks.

12. Ayanle Farah

Rep Bank:
    $1,361
    I know it goes against commandment of Entry and Control, but I think it's possible to work around those, plenty others here have had success with it.

I don't see what's wrong with what I said.

13. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $159,734
    It’s not because it goes against the commandment of entry. It’s because you are viewing selling on Amazon as a business instead of starting a business that includes Amazon as a sales channel. Huge difference.

Ayanle Farah, Kak and YoungPadawan like this.
  14. YoungPadawan

YoungPadawan Miles to go before I sleep Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,521
    Don't you have any bigger aspirations than being Amazon's peon?

You're building your business on a foundation of sand. If Amazon decides to jack up their rates (which they've begun doing) or if they decide they like your product so much that they decide to copy it and undercut you, you're screwed.

Build something that lasts. Something that you can feel safe to build upon and not worry that everything you have built be pulled out from under you.

If it can't stand on its own (or have the potential to stand on its own) don't build it.

Ayanle Farah, Vigilante and Kak like this.
  15. Ayanle Farah

Rep Bank:
    $1,361
    I see, my thought process is starting on Amazon and then transitioning to an independent business that needs Amazon less and less, while you want me to have an independent business from the start.

Edit: You know what? I won't launch on Amazon I'll create my own site, let's do this.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    YoungPadawan likes this.
  16. Ayanle Farah

Rep Bank:
    $1,361
    So I bought a domain name with Bluehost: Apexjungle.com but due to some bs rule I need to wait 120 hours before creating a separate hosting account for the new domain away from my primary hosting account.

Then I'll install wordpress and follow one of many youtube tutorials on "how to build an ecommerce website with wordpress 2018". That's the game plan for now.

Meanwhile I'll continue researching these topics.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Out of Touch likes this.