The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

AMA - Affiliate Marketing + Guide "How I Made $5K w/ 1 Campaign"

Marketing, social media, advertising

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
That depends on the Pool size of the user base of the website you're targeting.

If a website converts for you, but only has 1 million visitors a month, theres only so much you can do to capture all of those 1 million visitors - you need to expand to other websites to gain bigger shares of bites.

Think of it as fishing on a Lake or at the Ocean. You can catch fish on a lake, but you're going to catch a lot more in the ocean.

Thanks and one more question?

1) So what would you say is an example of an "ocean?" Would POF be considered an "ocean." Do you see people making full time incomes off POF alone? I hear of people pulling in thousands a day from POF, is that true?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hassassin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 14, 2012
Okay so I just saw your thread about CPA advertising
I honestly don't know nothing about internet marketing at all so i have already started reading basics and looked at some courses on it.

I wanted to ask how it was like for you starting out LOL ?

I am currently at the start of importing and selling on ebay I am just testing some samples at the moment and I also do some old school buying and selling, My contemporary aim is to raise money for a future start up, is affiliate marketing worth doing for me ?

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York
Thanks and one more question?

1) So what would you say is an example of an "ocean?" Would POF be considered an "ocean." Do you see people making full time incomes off POF alone? I hear of people pulling in thousands a day from POF, is that true?

Yeah absolutely. You got to understand that, dating offers aren't the only thing being pushed on POF. Payouts for different offers vary greatly.

In order for me to make $1000 a day on a 5$ payout id have to sell/convert = 200 users a day.

In the same token, in order for me to hit 1k on a 20-30$ offer is much much less. so is it possible? hell yea. very possible.

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
Yeah absolutely. You got to understand that, dating offers aren't the only thing being pushed on POF. Payouts for different offers vary greatly.

In order for me to make $1000 a day on a 5$ payout id have to sell/convert = 200 users a day.

In the same token, in order for me to hit 1k on a 20-30$ offer is much much less. so is it possible? hell yea. very possible.

Cool thanks. And are there any other networks out there as big and provides as many targeting options as POF?

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Cool thanks. And are there any other networks out there as big and provides as many targeting options as POF?
Eh, doubtful. POF is renowned for their in depth targeting. As far as I know, and from the traffic sources I have seen (dozens), the only thing close is FB. The only problem with POF is it is limited in scale. It's a great platform, but ever since FB started getting ban happy, droves of affiliate marketers began flocking to POF as a safe haven. There really are plenty of fish in a little pond now. :p

This reminds me of a campaign I ran for some adult stuff, pulled $6k profit back in June, but I have since moved on from AM with a TON of very valuable knowledge gained. A guy I speak with regularly was making $56k per month back in June, and is now expecting to make $15k this month. AM is just too much of a roller coaster, offers go down, traffic sources change their rules and ban you, FTC bullshit, shady affiliate networks. There are just too many moving pieces in the machine, things eventually break. And when they break, that beefy ROI starts plummeting in a downward spiral.

Now I know what MJ was talking about when he was talking down on AM, though it is still a source to make money pretty fast. Given you know the process and how to go about it.

Either way, thanks for the share Nosferatu. Quality stuff man!

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York
Eh, doubtful. POF is renowned for their in depth targeting. As far as I know, and from the traffic sources I have seen (dozens), the only thing close is FB. The only problem with POF is it is limited in scale. It's a great platform, but ever since FB started getting ban happy, droves of affiliate marketers began flocking to POF as a safe haven. There really are plenty of fish in a little pond now. :p

This reminds me of a campaign I ran for some adult stuff, pulled $6k profit back in June, but I have since moved on from AM with a TON of very valuable knowledge gained. A guy I speak with regularly was making $56k per month back in June, and is now expecting to make $15k this month. AM is just too much of a roller coaster, offers go down, traffic sources change their rules and ban you, FTC bullshit, shady affiliate networks. There are just too many moving pieces in the machine, things eventually break. And when they break, that beefy ROI starts plummeting in a downward spiral.

Now I know what MJ was talking about when he was talking down on AM, though it is still a source to make money pretty fast. Given you know the process and how to go about it.

Either way, thanks for the share Nosferatu. Quality stuff man!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Same position i was in. Money one month, zilch, the next. Then my CPA network went bankrupt, stopped paying. It's a shitty cycle.

On the upside, all these skills i learned are now being used to promote my own stuff. :)

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
One thing I never got is what's the deal with landing pages?

A lot of people talk about sending people to a landing page with CPA but do you need to create the landing page or are you just sending the person to the site with your affiliate link embeded.

In what situation would you need to create your own custom landing page?

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York
Any experience with the Amazon affiliate program?

not so much, but i know a few guys that make a killing with it.

One thing I never got is what's the deal with landing pages?

A lot of people talk about sending people to a landing page with CPA but do you need to create the landing page or are you just sending the person to the site with your affiliate link embeded.

In what situation would you need to create your own custom landing page?

an LP is necessary, if the place you're advertising in doesn't allow the page you're promoting. So thats why a bridge page is sometimes needed.

also, some offers convert better with a pre-sale.

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
an LP is necessary, if the place you're advertising in doesn't allow the page you're promoting. So thats why a bridge page is sometimes needed.

also, some offers convert better with a pre-sale.

So would the richmen offer in your pdf be considered a landing page that you created? How would you classify the LP in your pdf example/

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York
So would the richmen offer in your pdf be considered a landing page that you created? How would you classify the LP in your pdf example/

No, That offer was a direct link (by mistake)

Usually, you can direct link, as long as it goes through your web host or tracker (Demon Tracking, Tracker202, CPV Lab) first, then direct link to the offer. So you can track your metrics and be able to swap offers on the fly.

TeflonDon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Jan 9, 2013
England
Hi Nosferatu, your thread has been helpful to me already. My question is this: What kind of funding would you consider adequate for a newcomer to start affiliate marketing? I mean in terms of buying enough traffic to test your angles etc and get to a point where it's possible to break even. How much did you used to spend on initial traffic when you started out?

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York
Hi Nosferatu, your thread has been helpful to me already. My question is this: What kind of funding would you consider adequate for a newcomer to start affiliate marketing? I mean in terms of buying enough traffic to test your angles etc and get to a point where it's possible to break even. How much did you used to spend on initial traffic when you started out?

In my guide, my initial and only out of pocket expense was $25, which i recuperated 50x times over.

all you need is the right steps, at least 100$ to test, a good image editing program and a cpa network to run offers with.

Phillipbro

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 10, 2013
Ontario
Most of the CPA networks on your pdf no longer work. Can you recommend any good CPA networks with a lot of offers?

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York
Most of the CPA networks on your pdf no longer work. Can you recommend any good CPA networks with a lot of offers?

Yes absolutely.

F5Media is kick a$$ with dating offers that are perfect for POF.

nitroheadz28

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Aug 10, 2013
San Diego - NYC
I just wanted to thank you for giving back and helping people out, I really appreciate it and I've learned a LOT being a complete noob :thumbsup:

I want to try my hand in AM to get the marketing experience so I can eventually graduate to do my own thing like you are. I've started to learn PS and hopefully will be getting in the game soon enough, but I've been seeing that POF is getting a little tough to deal with lately. Looks like they've gotten much more stringent about the ads you can run on top of it getting more crowded. Would you still attempt to run a campaign there at this time?

PS- Good to see another NYer, I graduated from farmingdale :smx1:

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Are you profitable on a consistent basis, and if so, are you making over $1k a week (the point where I would justify a job is no longer needed).

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Jason, it's not hard to get there with the work ethic.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Phillipbro

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 10, 2013
Ontario
I just wanted to thank you for giving back and helping people out, I really appreciate it and I've learned a LOT being a complete noob :thumbsup:

I want to try my hand in AM to get the marketing experience so I can eventually graduate to do my own thing like you are. I've started to learn PS and hopefully will be getting in the game soon enough, but I've been seeing that POF is getting a little tough to deal with lately. Looks like they've gotten much more stringent about the ads you can run on top of it getting more crowded. Would you still attempt to run a campaign there at this time?

Yeah I was wondering the same, isn't POF very saturated now? OP are you consistently earning 5k from this?

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk 2

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Im wondering what a typical ROI would be for media buying. I realize this could range a ton just wondering if you have a number you shot for or an average where you are pretty happy? The niche I would be most interested in would be health

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York

Hey Nitroheadz, i'm glad i could help. Trust me, when i was newbie i wasted many hours figuring this stuff out. I just outlined what i did and my general process. -- as far as my campaign. unfortunately, the offer owner went private with it , he found someone to do all offers direct. This is part of the lack of control MJ talks about in the book (i just didn't realize at it that time) so this campaign is dead, as it stands. However the demographics are pretty important as you can port this information to other related niches.

I would still attempt to do this on POF, because POF is still comparatively cheap, and as long you as you know how to make a great banner and write BOSS ad-copy, you're gold! :)

A tip about POF ads being denied: keep and keep trying, but try to stretch the rules as much as you can. the POF people sometimes have serious Quality issues about approving ads, ive retried ad sometimes and gotten it through, and sometimes denied, they have a team of people going through them, and everyone has a different opinion about whats right or wrong. Id say if you've tried it 3 times and got denied, switch it up and try to edit it.

As much as this sucks, this is something you have to deal with.

Also , id recommend putting ads on SUNDAY NIGHT, to be approved monday morning. --- The Weekend people at POF are horrible, horrible trolls. I have almost a 10% success rate, they seem to deny everything i've ever thrown at them. I dont know why, that just happens to be my experience, but everytime i submit during the normal 9-5 M-F, my ads get approved quickly and with better success rates.

Don't bother submitting ads from FRIDAY TO SUNDAY.

Are you profitable on a consistent basis, and if so, are you making over $1k a week (the point where I would justify a job is no longer needed).

see answer above ^ :)

Yeah I was wondering the same, isn't POF very saturated now? OP are you consistently earning 5k from this?

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk 2

it's saturated if your pushing the same thing as everyone else, but by targeting different niches, you're unaffected. (blue ocean strategy)

Im wondering what a typical ROI would be for media buying. I realize this could range a ton just wondering if you have a number you shot for or an average where you are pretty happy? The niche I would be most interested in would be health

Media buying is generally for when you want to take a working and converting offer from the affiliate stage, to the mass market stage. (depending on the niche)

IE: if your ads convert well with a demo of female 19-29, college, with high disposable income, media buying victoria secret would be a gold, but it all depends on the product and your offer.

In terms of ROI, you could totally make a million dollars a day on a successful media buy, as long as your metrics are rock solid and battle tested.

Phillipbro

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 10, 2013
Ontario
Totally agree with you, there is almost no control as an affiliate. As an affiliate you're just a hitchhiker as MJ likes to call it. Have you ever thought of starting your own affiliate network, considering you have quite some experience now...

nitroheadz28

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Aug 10, 2013
San Diego - NYC
as far as my campaign. unfortunately, the offer owner went private with it , he found someone to do all offers direct.

I would still attempt to do this on POF, because POF is still comparatively cheap, and as long you as you know how to make a great banner and write BOSS ad-copy, you're gold! :)

Thank you so much, already gave you speed a couple times for this thread but heres more :). I'm a little confused now though. Where does the ad copy come into the equation? Or by that do you just mean the lander page?

Also in your case when the offer was taken from you, the reason why you didn't continue with the campaign was because your networks didn't have anything similar that you could throw in to substitute with?

How is it that some people are making mid-high 5 even 6 figures monthly and many just bringing maybe a 1000 a month? Is it just that they scale their successful campaigns out on a bunch of sites?

I really appreciate you taking the time to help us out and wish I could buy you a beer :smx9:

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York
Totally agree with you, there is almost no control as an affiliate. As an affiliate you're just a hitchhiker as MJ likes to call it. Have you ever thought of starting your own affiliate network, considering you have quite some experience now...

I've considered it, but i feel like there are other business models that are a bit easier to run. The CPA World is the wild west sometimes, and i rather not deal with it. I prefer a stable business model with steady and predictable revenue.

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York
Thank you so much, already gave you speed a couple times for this thread but heres more :). I'm a little confused now though. Where does the ad copy come into the equation? Or by that do you just mean the lander page?

Also in your case when the offer was taken from you, the reason why you didn't continue with the campaign was because your networks didn't have anything similar that you could throw in to substitute with?

How is it that some people are making mid-high 5 even 6 figures monthly and many just bringing maybe a 1000 a month? Is it just that they scale their successful campaigns out on a bunch of sites?

I really appreciate you taking the time to help us out and wish I could buy you a beer :smx9:

Cool :) thanks alot for the beer offer. hehe.

In Regards to ad copy. Ad copy really is important -- i never realized how important words are until i read a few copywriting books. The pen is indeed mightier than the sword. --- When i say ad copy, i mean the actual call to action on the advertisement its self, even the banner ad copy is important.

For example, On some of my ads i wrote:

"Meet Rich Men In Your Area" as opposed to "Meet Rich Local Guys" they both mean the exact same thing, but the 2nd one is more brisk , saves room and conveys the same message in smaller amount of words. It also converted better believe or not, these are the small kinds of details that can either make you thousands, or millions. Remember, you need to impact millions, to make millions.

And yes, thats how some of these guys scale, you take a winning combo ad, and your target demo, and you target as much as your target demo as possible, on as many websites as possible. Thats where media buying comes in and sites like sitescout, etc.

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Very interesting post, Nosferatu. Thanks for sharing the info.

I know very little about CPA marketing, but it seems like it can be quite lucrative if you put in the work. I'm thinking of taking some time to teach myself the ins-n-outs so I can pay off some debt + put money away for my Fast Lane ventures.

Quick question, Nosferatu. I notice you liked to StackThatMoney, they have a forum that is $99/mo with a 7 day trial. Would you recommend signing up as a newbie? Or should I try to learn through some other source first before joining up?

I'm thinking a month or two of committed work will be enough to see if I can make it worth my time + money.

Thoughts?

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York
Very interesting post, Nosferatu. Thanks for sharing the info.

I know very little about CPA marketing, but it seems like it can be quite lucrative if you put in the work. I'm thinking of taking some time to teach myself the ins-n-outs so I can pay off some debt + put money away for my Fast Lane ventures.

Quick question, Nosferatu. I notice you liked to StackThatMoney, they have a forum that is $99/mo with a 7 day trial. Would you recommend signing up as a newbie? Or should I try to learn through some other source first before joining up?

I'm thinking a month or two of committed work will be enough to see if I can make it worth my time + money.

Thoughts?

Your points ring true. It is lucrative if you're willing to put in the work.

Well, let me be honest with you here. Like most, i was a total cheap skate especially when i started, i didn't see the value in paying money upfront when my entire goal was to make money. After consistently putting work and effort, and learned everything i could, i did hit a wall. I caved in and figured it was at least worth a month to give these forums a try. -- And so i paid for membership. To be honest, that was the best decision i made, because you can't put a price on the type of networking and concentrated information you'll find on these kinds of forums. Also, the price point is a barrier for people who aren't serious. Because i want to make something very clear to ANYBODY READING THIS. --- Do not underestimate these words.

THIS IS A BUSINESS, TREAT IT LIKE ONE

if you treat this like a hobby, it will pay you like a hobby. If you treat it as a business, it will pay you like a business.

So with that said, is it worth the money ? hell F*cking yes. the amount of information and value you'll learn (if you're serious) is priceless!

I came to one of the better known members here zen*******, asking for guidance on business related things, and the best thing he told me is to get membership here, and provide value. Because of my past and living by my words, i didn't even hesitate to buy membership here. It is because of these kinds of wisdoms that allowed me to make more money online. The membership i paid to TMF , paid itself back on day 1, because i learned some cool tips from one of the moderators here, Vigilante ( i don't think i ever mentioned it on the forums here, but vig if you're reading this -- big thank you) shared a tip of a road block i was having. And the solution was so stupid simple, i nearly kicked myself.

So are these forums with specialized knowledge worth it ? yes. Now how serious are you in pursuing this, thats the real question.

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
So with that said, is it worth the money ? hell F*cking yes. the amount of information and value you'll learn (if you're serious) is priceless!

Good to know.

To be clear, I wasn't really wondering if it's worth the money (as in whether or not $99 is a big deal, it isn't). I'm a believer in spending money on valuable things. I've invested in courses, books, and trainings that have been super valuable so far...so I'm fine spending the money.

My question was more so, as a newbie...is it worth signing up not knowing very much about it, or should I "get my weight up" first before signing up? I think you answered that, though.

Thanks for the great info!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.