The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Alternatives to product development companies

carvalh3

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 6, 2020
Canada
Hi there Fastlane. I came across this community while looking for guidance on product development.

I have a very simple product idea that I want to take to market, probably via Amazon. I created a jury-rigged prototype that performs the function of the product well, but it lacks the aesthetic appeal to actually sell. The product is very straightforward and easy to understand—likely made of plastic with no electronics or anything. From my research, there aren’t any comparable products to it.

I’ve been in talks with product development companies, and honestly I like what they have to offer. I lack the expertise to: design a physical product, consider manufacturing needs, source to a manufacturer, etc..

But between product development fees and setting up manufacturing, it seems a bit cost-prohibitive. I have looked into 3D printing via freelancers or small companies, but there is still an expertise gap I would have to overcome (how to aesthetically design it, how to get enough units to test the market, etc.).

So the challenge ultimately is this: HOW do you go from a functional prototype TO having enough units of a sellable product so that you can test the market WHEN you're on a budget? I doubt there are easy answers to this question, but I would welcome any advice—or possible shortcuts.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016

Here you go.

G

Guest24480

I recommend reading One Simple Idea by Stephen Key. It talks about licensing your idea to companies where they handle production and you get a royalty %.

carvalh3

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 6, 2020
Canada

Here you go.

Super interesting ideas here, thank you. The pre-selling before inventory route is something I hadn't considered, but it makes a ton of sense to me.

DaisyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Nov 11, 2014
Canada
Hi there Fastlane. I came across this community while looking for guidance on product development.

I have a very simple product idea that I want to take to market, probably via Amazon. I created a jury-rigged prototype that performs the function of the product well, but it lacks the aesthetic appeal to actually sell. The product is very straightforward and easy to understand—likely made of plastic with no electronics or anything. From my research, there aren’t any comparable products to it.

I’ve been in talks with product development companies, and honestly I like what they have to offer. I lack the expertise to: design a physical product, consider manufacturing needs, source to a manufacturer, etc..

But between product development fees and setting up manufacturing, it seems a bit cost-prohibitive. I have looked into 3D printing via freelancers or small companies, but there is still an expertise gap I would have to overcome (how to aesthetically design it, how to get enough units to test the market, etc.).

So the challenge ultimately is this: HOW do you go from a functional prototype TO having enough units of a sellable product so that you can test the market WHEN you're on a budget? I doubt there are easy answers to this question, but I would welcome any advice—or possible shortcuts.

Thanks!

Hi,

Welcome to the forum...it's an ideal place to learn and be inspired.

I'm from Canada too and went down this same path- ironically enough with both a product development company and with a plastic product.

Hit me up with a pm and we can chat further and I'll help you in any way I can.

Cheers.

carvalh3

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 6, 2020
Canada
Hi,

Welcome to the forum...it's an ideal place to learn and be inspired.

I'm from Canada too and went down this same path- ironically enough with both a product development company and with a plastic product.

Hit me up with a pm and we can chat further and I'll help you in any way I can.

Cheers.

Thank you! Will PM you.

carvalh3

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Apr 6, 2020
Canada
Thought I'd post this, partly out of gratefulness to this community and partly as a lesson for anyone else working on ideas.

I've unfortunately had a major setback on my project. When I initially came up with the idea, I scoured the internet to see if it already existed. I didn't find anything, so I proceeded. However, I just found out that a patent was filed last year for what is basically my product. It was buried in a database with some different verbiage.

I'm disappointed, but I'm choosing to look on the bright side. Because of the advice I got on FastLane, I was able to discover this issue before I invested a lot of time and money. So LESSON 1 for me: don't just search for products to see if anyone already sells your idea—search patent databases using different verbiage to see if it already exists. Interestingly, this was one of the lessons that the author of "One Simple Idea" learned the hard way—thank you holmzee for recommending this book!

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Thought I'd post this, partly out of gratefulness to this community and partly as a lesson for anyone else working on ideas.

I've unfortunately had a major setback on my project. When I initially came up with the idea, I scoured the internet to see if it already existed. I didn't find anything, so I proceeded. However, I just found out that a patent was filed last year for what is basically my product. It was buried in a database with some different verbiage.

I'm disappointed, but I'm choosing to look on the bright side. Because of the advice I got on FastLane, I was able to discover this issue before I invested a lot of time and money. So LESSON 1 for me: don't just search for products to see if anyone already sells your idea—search patent databases using different verbiage to see if it already exists. Interestingly, this was one of the lessons that the author of "One Simple Idea" learned the hard way—thank you holmzee for recommending this book!
Can you improve the product in any way to get past the patent?

I'm working on a product and there's a utility patent for basically my design BUT I've got ideas to majorly improve it and sell it to a different market.

Remember: Patents only matter if you protect them. Not only am I changing the existing product, but I don't think they'd pursue me anyway. They're in MUCH bigger markets (military, foreign aid, etc).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.