The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Advice on monetizing a web site, want to start right.

Action Mike

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Nov 9, 2016
Hello,
As alluded to in my intro thread I have an idea that I feel great about and am excited to start implementing it. Been thinking about it for a while and writing notes as I go and have a good feel for it now. Talking to a web developer friend to really get an idea what it will take to make the site happen like I imagine it. Have a good marketing plan in place that has worked for the same target audience but for a different service.

The site is kind of a combination of AngiesList and Craigslist with a touch of Ebay but for totally different markets and services.

Due to the nature of the product I can't take a pice of the transaction, the buyer and seller would deal with that personally so I can't make money off of that, or I don't know of a option to make that work at least.

based on research I have done the overall target audience is about 60,000,000 in the USA alone. I really have no idea what kind of a percent or fraction of a percent I can realistically get but that seems to be a large enough pool.

So the main thing I am facing is how should I plan on monetizing the site? (My focus really has been on how to make this a great experience for my customer base rather than on money, just want to get some ideas of what to expect or look for in the future)
(Bold is just to make it easier to read)
  1. One though is to charge a small fee for the sellers based on how many listings ($5 a month for up to x listings etc.) and then provide access to additional educational documentation and methods of managing the sales (most sellers are small time), then charge a small, like .99 cents a month fee for the buyers to use the site.
  2. Or a combination of sellers paying small fees to list and then use some reasonable advertising or affiliate links on the buyers side that would make sense based on the product being sold.
  3. Or just go straight ads and affiliates on the site and only require a free account setup for buyers and sellers.
  4. Another though is make it totally free the first year or so and then after getting a good size customer base introduce one of the above.

My main concern is I don't want to go a route that drives people away or greatly reduces their chances of using the site. Or makes people mad that I try to take it from a free service to adding ads or charging, maybe grandfather in the old users and let them continue to use for free?

What advice do you all have in relation to this type of site and the best way to monetize without killing my user base?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Action Mike

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Nov 9, 2016
No ads ever.

Go with Premium vs free membership. Start lean and free, then add paid premium features with a trial option.

Is using affiliate links on the same lever as having ads on a site? Like if there was a page or document blog whatever explaining or reviewing a item that would go hand in hand with the product being sold and then have a link through something like Amazons affiliate program?

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Is using affiliate links on the same lever as having ads on a site? Like if there was a page or document blog whatever explaining or reviewing a item that would go hand in hand with the product being sold and then have a link through something like Amazons affiliate program?
It depends.

I advise to focus on bigger things. Once you're solid enough - partner up, instead participating in basic affiliate programs.

Action Mike

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Nov 9, 2016
It depends.

I advise to focus on bigger things. Once you're solid enough - partner up, instead participating in basic affiliate programs.

When you say partner up how would that work as far as monetizing a site? Is that like partnering with other sites to advertise their services? Thanks.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
When you say partner up how would that work as far as monetizing a site? Is that like partnering with other sites to advertise their services? Thanks.
Yes.
Instead of affiliating with Amazon to sell Product X, partner up with the owner of Product X.

Soleo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Nov 11, 2016
Texas
No ads ever.

Go with Premium vs free membership. Start lean and free, then add paid premium features with a trial option.

@devine I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on this. I've seen you to be very informative and am having similar thoughts to a completely different website.

Would you say "no ads ever" to any website or would it be acceptable in some cases? As an example, I don't see how someone like YouTube would survive without ads.

Please don't think I'm trying to say you are wrong. I'm not! In fact, this very question has been bugging me for quite some time. Ads vs premium and/or a mix of it all.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
@devine I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on this. I've seen you to be very informative and am having similar thoughts to a completely different website.

Would you say "no ads ever" to any website or would it be acceptable in some cases? As an example, I don't see how someone like YouTube would survive without ads.

Please don't think I'm trying to say you are wrong. I'm not! In fact, this very question has been bugging me for quite some time. Ads vs premium and/or a mix of it all.
I understand your point.
Youtube is not the best example, because they run their own ad system (same as FB, VK, IG and others).

But monetizing your own website with things like adsense is a bad thing.
Nearly always.
In some scenarios it takes time for transition from adsense to something more efficient.

Soleo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Nov 11, 2016
Texas
I understand your point.
Youtube is not the best example, because they run their own ad system (same as FB, VK, IG and others).

But monetizing your own website with things like adsense is a bad thing.
Nearly always.
In some scenarios it takes time for transition from adsense to something more efficient.

Thank you for your reply. It makes much more sense to me know.

I don't know why I didn't consider that YouTube, Facebook and others have their "own" form of advertisement.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.