The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Additional domains for lead sites

PurEnergy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 4, 2008
I've purchased a domain name that I very much like for a lead generation site. As a matter of fact I can't believe it was available. When the project is complete I'll post it all here if MJ will allow.

My question is, should I secure any additional domains to go with the main name? I got the dot com but I really don't want the org, net, and others unless absolutely necessary.

For instance if my domain is (it's not) easydayquotes.com are there others I should get immediately that I will probably want to use in the future. For instance I noticed a site that had easydayquotesblogs.com to go with their main domain.

What other domains should I wrap up to go with the main?

Thank-YOU

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I am planning on creating a lead gen/yellow page site here in a few months once I am done with school.

My 2 cents, buy any domain you think would ever be of any value to you.

.com is the key, make sure you have all your bases covered there.

easydayquotes.com is your example

I would try to get....

easydayquote.com
ezdayquote.com ezdayquotes.com
easydayquoteablog.com would be ok.....build it out with content.

Anything really that you can use to drive traffic to the site (such as blogs, info websites) and create the funnel system.

Also, it helps keep domainers away from parking and wanting a ton when your website makes it big. Branding branding branding. Domains are a small investment but big reward if you are serious about building a web business.

Don't try to save a few bucks, buy anything you think will ever be useful to you!

Ryan_Taylor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jun 13, 2008
Chicago, IL
I really don't think it is necessary, personally. If somebody wanted to try to suck your traffic from you by buying a similar domain, there are hundreds of variations they could buy and then simply out do you on search engine rankings.

My opinoin... save your money.

How do you plan on driving traffic to that site, and what are your long term plans?

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
What kind of "waste of money" are we talking about here?

I mean really guys, how much does a domain name cost? Buying domain names and securing your brand (your domain) is a must.

Just to give you an example.

Imagine how much amaazon.com cost amazon if they can to pay for it?
amazoon.com?
amuhzon.com

All of the following point to amazon.com.

Now, you can either wait til you make it big and fork over a few grand for each or you can allow the domainer to eat your traffic up with a parking page, or better yet...create a similar page to yours.

Or, you can pay a few bucks a year and secure the typos and other domain names that COULD be relevant to building your traffic and brand.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I am planning on creating a lead gen/yellow page site here in a few months once I am done with school.

My 2 cents, buy any domain you think would ever be of any value to you.

.com is the key, make sure you have all your bases covered there.

easydayquotes.com is your example

I would try to get....

easydayquote.com
ezdayquote.com ezdayquotes.com
easydayquoteablog.com would be ok.....build it out with content.

Anything really that you can use to drive traffic to the site (such as blogs, info websites) and create the funnel system.

Also, it helps keep domainers away from parking and wanting a ton when your website makes it big. Branding branding branding. Domains are a small investment but big reward if you are serious about building a web business.

Don't try to save a few bucks, buy anything you think will ever be useful to you!

Absolutely good idea however, I'd stick to common variations.

For example, I own "FastlaneToMillions.com" knowing that many might forget the "the". I didn't register the non-s version because I didn't think it was a logical mistake.

When I started my business years ago, I was operating off a domain that was plural. I had a competitor step in and register the non-plural version. He started to steal my business through my marketing efforts. People would mistakenly visit his site. That is when I went into the secondary market and bought a different name with more strength/brand power.

A hypothetical example ...

BuildersOnline.com is what I owned and marketed.

He bought

BuilderOnline.com and started siphoning traffic from me.

I strongly recommended getting both and any variations of common mistakes. The unconventional deviations are not as important.

PurEnergy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 4, 2008
Point taken. I can think of a few other variations I should get. I've already got two, lol.

Thank-you

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.