The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ADD & ADHD vs Success: The Battle!

LAbull

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
Just curious about anyone out there that get's to enjoy these lovely traits while working hard to build an empire or earn the almighty extra dollar.

Me personally, I have always felt that I have to work harder then the next guy. While someone can read a book on finance and how to run a business it's easier for me to push my way through it and learn the hardway.

Networking comes pretty natural to me so luckily I have a business partner that is far more "book smart". Perfect Storm really.

The challenge now is focusing on learning about investments and real estate so I can make my own decisions and not follow everyone else's advice while at the same time not losing all my hard earned money to uncle sam or a bad investment choice.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I have never been tested for either, but I have a very hard time reigning myself in...unless I am obsessed with something, then I can't focus on anything else! I think you are on the right track with building a team of people that have complementary skills. No one is good in all areas, focus on what you are good in and outsource the rest!

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
I've heard it from a lot of different people, so I don't think it's a huge secret, but remember some of the richest business owners are ADD.

Donald Trump has a HORRIBLE case of it. Watch when they film "The Apprentice". It's always in little tiny clips. That's because it is impossible for him to stay in a chair for 15 minutes, or on topic for longer than 10 minutes. I've met a lot of the film people who work with him on different projects and they say it's absolutely incredible. He's constantly doing other things and can not stay on topic.

His ADD is what helps him have so many different businesses. He's found ways to comepensate and actually turn the problem into a benefit. (He has assistants with him who can pick up all the random streams of consciousness and translate into action.)

I bet that I would have been diagnosed with it too, if they had been doing that when I was a kid. I have a really hard time sitting still. I use a mobile headset for phone appts because I pop up so many times.

My work around was to create a "bin" for ideas. (This came from a business consultant) In this case - I wrote emails to her on ideas, sometimes a dozen a day in the beginning, but had to put "bin" in the subject line. I could have the idea, but I had to focus on working on what we had agreed to for that month. Then once a month, she printed out all the "bin" and in a 2 hour meeting, we went through them to decide what stayed in the bin and what became a focus for the next month. I did that for 2 months with her and it completely broke the habit for me. Now I can focus. BUT I do carry a hardbound journal and pen with me everywhere. I keep pages with people's names on them (people on my team) and in once weekly meetings, go through the items. Otherwise, I will send dozens of emails a day to each person and then they never get anything done but answer my emails.

In "What does your day look like" I went through my weekly schedule, that helps me concentrate too.

I have no idea if that was where you were going with this thread, but you struck a chord with me! I've got the same issues. And they can be huge blessings, if you work with them right.

LAbull

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
I have never been tested for either, but I have a very hard time reigning myself in...unless I am obsessed with something, then I can't focus on anything else! I think you are on the right track with building a team of people that have complementary skills. No one is good in all areas, focus on what you are good in and outsource the rest!

I have surrounded myself with a good team. That is a must do in all business obviously but in my case it's a must.

This has also become a personal battle of sorts though. For example I would love to pick up some books from Rich Dad but I know by the third page I'll be off thinking about something else.

I've heard it from a lot of different people, so I don't think it's a huge secret, but remember some of the richest business owners are ADD.

Donald Trump has a HORRIBLE case of it. Watch when they film "The Apprentice". It's always in little tiny clips. That's because it is impossible for him to stay in a chair for 15 minutes, or on topic for longer than 10 minutes. I've met a lot of the film people who work with him on different projects and they say it's absolutely incredible. He's constantly doing other things and can not stay on topic.

His ADD is what helps him have so many different businesses. He's found ways to comepensate and actually turn the problem into a benefit. (He has assistants with him who can pick up all the random streams of consciousness and translate into action.)

I bet that I would have been diagnosed with it too, if they had been doing that when I was a kid. I have a really hard time sitting still. I use a mobile headset for phone appts because I pop up so many times.

My work around was to create a "bin" for ideas. (This came from a business consultant) In this case - I wrote emails to her on ideas, sometimes a dozen a day in the beginning, but had to put "bin" in the subject line. I could have the idea, but I had to focus on working on what we had agreed to for that month. Then once a month, she printed out all the "bin" and in a 2 hour meeting, we went through them to decide what stayed in the bin and what became a focus for the next month. I did that for 2 months with her and it completely broke the habit for me. Now I can focus. BUT I do carry a hardbound journal and pen with me everywhere. I keep pages with people's names on them (people on my team) and in once weekly meetings, go through the items. Otherwise, I will send dozens of emails a day to each person and then they never get anything done but answer my emails.

In "What does your day look like" I went through my weekly schedule, that helps me concentrate too.

I have no idea if that was where you were going with this thread, but you struck a chord with me! I've got the same issues. And they can be huge blessings, if you work with them right.

This is exactly what I am looking for. I am well aware of Trumps ADD. In my "previous life" I worked post production for that show. The clips that cut out are really the ones you want to see.

One of my goals has always been to be a project manager of sorts. But working on 10 different projects at once seems to be better for me then working on 1.
With my company we are providing digital signage to multiple companies with different mediums so every minute is different then the last.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Have any of you taken your Kolbe Score? It's a test that determines your conative abilities. That's different than cognetive, which is thinking. Conative is your natural instinct.

I found it really helpful because it pinpointed the best way for me to work and to learn. We have all of our ICs take it now when they start working with us - it just helps us understand how better to communicate with them.

My Kolbe is 6-3-8-2.

The "8" is 8 out of 10 and refers to QuickStart. That's all the new ideas that pop up for me. But, my follow up (3) is really low, which is why I have to create so many work-arounds to make things happen.

royemunson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 24, 2007
SW Ohio
wow. great thread. i thought i was the only one who battles these challenges.

i have never been tested/diagnosed but have seen similarities. Diane I am going to try that test.

Some of the most successful people I know have either one of these disorders as they call it.

Joe

M-M

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 27, 2007
NC
Count me in. I can't sit still and have a hard time focusing on something, no matter how hard I try or how important it is. I'm also trying to use it to my advantage by having several things going on. The challenge is not to overextend myself and lose track.

LAbull

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
Well so far it's validating to know that I'm surrounded by people like myself :)

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
I have never been tested for either, but I have a very hard time reigning myself in...unless I am obsessed with something, then I can't focus on anything else!

I went looking to be tested, I think it was determined that I definitely have tendencies for .......what was the question again :)

I have become a frustrated, half overly anal Type A but without the ability of follow through sometimes. I also see in myself a hint of O.C.D. I allow things to build up and then go on a (whatever) binge. Kinda of annoying. But its probably helped from time to time so.......

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
I most definitely have ADHD, an extreme case of it actually in the "hyperactivity" sense. I have a very hard time sitting down just to read something and if I read one sentence that leads me to another thought, I can go off on a tangent and take about ten minutes to come back to the book.

It's a HUGE pain in the rear because there are so many subjects I love to read and learn about, but it's tough to pay attention. I understand there are drugs for this, but I don't take any right now, so I have learned techniques to will myself through.

I actually even have a problem with physically running back and forth or pacing around in circles, because my body gets so primed like a race horse.

I really put the "H" in the ADHD!!

I always just figured I was weirder than most people and had a nervous-system disorder, but then I read about ADHD (boundless energy, can't sit still, very short attention span, can go off on a mental tangent when reading books, can concentrate incredibly well on things they are very interested in at that particular moment but have a very hard time paying attention for other things, can sit for hours and play videogames for some reason etc...) and realized, "Holy crap, that's me!"

So yeah LAbull, you aren't the only one!

Personally, I work on things such as breathing exercises to calm me down if I get primed like a race horse all of a sudden, if I am reading and start to go off on a tangent, I have made it a habit to ignore any such thoughts and only concentrate on the book, etc...

Actually, I have three things: ADHD, OCD, and Asperger's Syndrome (and I've read in texts on these that they often happen with each other, for example, it's very common for people with Asperger's to also have ADHD).

Having it with Asperger's is especially a pain because the Aspie's makes you obsess about learning certain things, but then the ADHD makes it tough to pay attention.

Many view them as weaknesses, but I view them as strengths. Nothing better for business-building than a natural tendency to be able to become obsessed about multiple things IMO.

Last edited:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I've heard these types of comments too often.

My concern?

Many times this is just an excuse to lack of focus.

Probably I have some tendency to some of those 'disorders' but have never been officially diagnosed with any (I have never asked). Have you?

I just want to issue a cautious warning as to use this (that you may not even 'suffer') as your excuse for laziness and lack of focus.

What I've seen is that many successful people have the ability of thinking about many many things at almost the same time. Having the discipline to actually make one of them happen is what makes many people successful. If you can't go the extra steps required to beat your competitors then you will have a slim chance of making it.

It is relatively easy to come up with dozen of ideas. It is something else to transform these ideas into success. That makes the difference.

If you have been diagnosed then you have a great opportunity to overcome any problem created by that condition, plus the chance of making great use of the positives that come with them.

If you haven't and really think you have it, then look for professional opinions so you know what you need to do next. But if you don't have it then you will have to start working on getting the discipline of making things happen from beginning to end.

My mom has always said that I can't stay on my chair for five minutes (she's right). She has also said that I can't stand still for a minute either (I start shaking a leg or bitting my nails or touching my hair, something. She's right also). Does that mean I am in the ADD or ADHD club? Those of you that do know what I am talking about, should I consider myself part of the 'club'?

I don't intend to be mean. I am just stating my opinion about this as I see it almost daily in my workplace. I work in an IT firm. I deal with software developers all the time. Many use the excuse that they can't focus on anything for long periods of time, but when there is a salary raise coming then, magic, they can code for 6 hours in a row, making great things happen. Same project. Same problem. Very different results when it is time to produce.

Very interesting thread, and I can foresee myself getting a lot of heat for posting this.

andviv.

M-M

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 27, 2007
NC
I agree that it's trendy to use it as an excuse, and many who do don't really have it. But there are also those who do have it. Now it's up to them to overcome it.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I guess I could say I have "selective ADD", which means that I have it when I want to use it as an excuse. If there's something I want to get done, I get it done. I agree with those of you that have said it's often used just as an excuse for lack of focus. It's wayyy overdiagnosed IMO.

In school, it's taken advantage of way too much. I know of kids who have been "diagnosed" with ADD or ADHD and are given extra time on tests because of it. In some of the honors classes I've taken, these kids get extra time for the test and can take just about as long as they want. Some are even allowed to come finish after school (which gives them the opportunity to find the answers in between). The whole challenge of the tests in honors classes is that they take awhile to do so you have to know the material very well to be able to finish on time. The challenge of these tests are virtually eliminated for these kids. It pisses me off because it's taken advantage of. I know there are kids who truly have problems that need to be addressed, but the fact that these priveleges are abused isn't right. It creates a sticky situation for both sides, but I think something has to be done about it.

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007

My concern?

Probably I have some tendency to some of those 'disorders' but have never been officially diagnosed with any (I have never asked). Have you?

I just want to issue a cautious warning as to use this (that you may not even 'suffer') as your excuse for laziness and lack of focus.

What I've seen is that many successful people have the ability of thinking about many many things at almost the same time. Having the discipline to actually make one of them happen is what makes many people successful. If you can't go the extra steps required to beat your competitors then you will have a slim chance of making it.

It is relatively easy to come up with dozen of ideas. It is something else to transform these ideas into success. That makes the difference.

If you have been diagnosed then you have a great opportunity to overcome any problem created by that condition, plus the chance of making great use of the positives that come with them.

If you haven't and really think you have it, then look for professional opinions so you know what you need to do next. But if you don't have it then you will have to start working on getting the discipline of making things happen from beginning to end.

My mom has always said that I can't stay on my chair for five minutes (she's right). She has also said that I can't stand still for a minute either (I start shaking a leg or bitting my nails or touching my hair, something. She's right also). Does that mean I am in the ADD or ADHD club? Those of you that do know what I am talking about, should I consider myself part of the 'club'?

I don't intend to be mean. I am just stating my opinion about this as I see it almost daily in my workplace. I work in an IT firm. I deal with software developers all the time. Many use the excuse that they can't focus on anything for long periods of time, but when there is a salary raise coming then, magic, they can code for 6 hours in a row, making great things happen. Same project. Same problem. Very different results when it is time to produce.

Very interesting thread, and I can foresee myself getting a lot of heat for posting this.

andviv.

You're right, ADD and ADHD is used as an excuse by way too many people, however, it is used so much as an excuse that many have come to believe that it simply is completely made up, and there is no such condition, it's just something people made up to use as an excuse for their laziness.

I can say that is not true. I do NOT use it as any excuse for having trouble focusing, I just work around it or with it, but the condition is very real. It won't impair you enough to prevent you from succeeding in life at all, it just can be a pain is all.

LAbull

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
You're right, ADD and ADHD is used as an excuse by way too many people, however, it is used so much as an excuse that many have come to believe that it simply is completely made up, and there is no such condition, it's just something people made up to use as an excuse for their laziness.

I can say that is not true. I do NOT use it as any excuse for having trouble focusing, I just work around it or with it, but the condition is very real. It won't impair you enough to prevent you from succeeding in life at all, it just can be a pain is all.
Exactly. I am not saying I am crippled and woe is me.
If I was lazy I would not be where I am today.

When it comes to cleaning the house I am lazy.

When it comes to building a my company and my portfolio I am not.

I remember in school it seemed like I was the only person not on meds for ADD or any other variant of it.
Now for me to be able to focus on something is a challenge.

Going to take that test Diane, tomorrow. To LAZY today :p

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007

My concern?

andviv.

Andviv, it's not about taking heat, it's about understanding the malady. Saying that they need discipline is like saying someone with diabetes just needs to eat right or something like that. ADD is a recognized neurological condition. And yes, there are many successful people with it; some 'can' simply use discipline to overcome their shortcomings, others have teams of people to make up for what they lack, but only by understanding and finding the right solution for EACH individual do they get ahead.

I'm not ripping on you (and if I appear to be, I apologize); but it's not as simple as what I (probably in an oversenstive manner), perceive from some of the responses.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
the key is what you will do to overcome. does not matter if it is adhd or laziness, how ya gonna fix it? I was recently diagnosed by a professional that knows me very well with ELPD. Since I know I have it, I must counter it to be successful. For those who are not familiar with ELPD, it is Excessively Lazy Procrastination Disorder, and trust me it is a bugger. I am trying to get disability payments for SS for this disorder, but they keep saying that it is not a recognized disorder. What a load of crap! I have been paralyzed by ELPD for nearly 30 years. My house is a mess, I have no money, my dog died, my wife left me, and my pickup truck broke down, oh wait, that was the lyrics to a country song.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
What I was saying was that the persons that do not have it have found that, hey, I could use this as an excuse to my laziness. Besides, it is 'in' to have one of them. "I'm so OCD", or "My ADHD does not let me focus on completing this so I have not been able to meet the deadline" are common excuses coming from people that do not have the disorder.

If you honestly think you have it then get tested by a professional. If you do have it then find ways to overcome it and make the most out of it. If you don't then find a better excuse... ir better yet, get up and make something happen in your life.

And no, Jason, no offense taken and your tone seems actually very good to have a decent, intelligent 'conversation' here in the forum.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
andviv- I completely agree, and this is just an example of our society as a whole. As people, if we can have a disorder, then we are excused. As parents, if we can get our kids diagnosed, then we are no longer bad parents, we just have kids with a biological disorder. Personal responsibility is dead in most areas of our society.

I am not saying this was the original point of the thread starter to make excuses, just following up on andviv.

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
Thank you; I didn't want to come across as the a**hole I really am. Maybe a better example is something like Dyslexia for my point? There's no one way to cure it, or to make up for it, or to get around it; instead, there are a variety of options, methods, practices, etc. Just as when we look at financial goals/strategies and realize that both the final goal and the path to get there is very much different for each person, people who have learning disabilities or other impediments to success (of any type), need to find the right mix to make them successful.

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
ADHD and ADD are very real conditions, but as said, many people use them as excuses and it is the "in' thing now to diagnose a kid with these conditions, when many of them don't really have it.

Reminds me of a story about a kid who had all these crazy conditions, then he joined the Army, and the Army fixed them all :)

But trust me, for those who truly have ADHD or ADD, while it is not any excuse for lack of success, it IS a pain-in-the-@$$!! Acknowledging you have it (if you do) has nothing to do with forming an excuse, but with better trying to understand just WHY certain things that for most people are easy, are so difficult for you.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I was reading this article today and couldn't stop smiling as most of the things mentioned in it are the same that we discussed here a few months back.

About ADD and success:
It's no secret that most entrepreneurs--including me--suffer from ADD. Actually, I can't say that I've suffered from it, since I think it's had a lot to do with my success over the years.

About Focus and seeing ADD as advantage/disadvantage:
In some situations, I'm sure, people who don't have ADD are the ones at a disadvantage. That said, if you happen to be a lucky ADD sufferer and you're in business for yourself, you can do yourself a favor by developing some counterbalancing traits. The most important one is the most obvious: the ability to focus.

About chasing many opportunities at the same time:
"It says in the magazine you started six businesses."

"Yeah, one at a time," I said. "And I don't even think about doing another until the one I'm working on either fails or reaches critical mass where it's able to live off its own cash flow. It's hard enough to concentrate on one thing and make it successful without having others competing for your attention. You'll be so busy chasing after opportunities that you'll miss the big opportunity in front of your nose.

And some more GREAT business advice:
It's a common situation. I've seen a lot of people who get an idea they think is hot, but when they try it, suddenly it's not as hot anymore. So they shove it aside and start on the next one. You need patience, persistence, and focus to succeed. First efforts often meet with failure.

T

TheGreatBear

I dunno, I've never had a problem with focus. Only with incentive. If I have enough incentive to do something, I don't really think of much else. I.e. I can sit for a whole afternoon reading something(as long as the book being read is perceived as worth being read).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.