The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Action Update #1

Anything related to matters of the mind

AlexWS

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Aug 14, 2022
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I’d like to post an update regarding my progress from my introductory post. As laid out in my introduction post I talked about my back story, my FTMs, final FTE and concrete steps going forward. Following that post I’d like to post an update thread for each ‘action update’ as time goes by, acting as a track record of my actions. The reasons for this are threefold:
  • To act as an accountability record to ensure action faking isn't occurring.
  • To give an up-to-date insight of tangible process for future review (by myself and others).
  • To enable feedback (positive or negative) to my actions/posts; it is a forum after all!
The structure of these posts will have a consistent format; recapping the next actions from the previous post, what has been done to 'move the needle' for the next step, what (if any) alterations to the previous action steps have been made and what steps to take next. This fits in with the concept of Act, Assess Adjust as discussed in the Great Rat Race Escape . These posts will be long, so probably best read with a cup tea or coffee in hand.

Post #1

To recap from my previous post, the next steps to be taken were as follows:
  • Continue with consistent morning runs that I’ve been doing following getting back from Holiday.
  • Finish the Great Rat Race Escape .
  • Begin to ‘put myself out there’, engaging with others on this forum. As MJ said one is a lifelong student.
  • Overcome the previous hurdle of taking concrete action; developing a monogamous business with concrete action taking and adjusting as necessary. Bit daunting if you haven’t done it before but isn’t everything.
Morning Runs

Over the past 2 weeks I've been able to run 3 times per week in the morning. The distance itself isn't particularly long at 1.5 miles (2.4km) but the route and distance has enabled a running habit and consistency to form. In recent days when I've run the route I've felt fitter doing it, showing to me clear progress. In addition to this my Girlfriend has said that I've lost weight and look slimmer compared to 2 weeks ago, which is always nice. These points have given strong impetus to a positive feedback loop that has in assessment given a clear goal; keep running as you have over the past 2 weeks and look to increase the distance of the route.

Great Rat Race Escape

I was 1/3 of the way through the GRRE at the time of writing my previous post, so plenty of book still to go. At the time of writing this post I'm now 2/3 of the way through. While I haven't finished the book one noticeable point stood out for me that needed to be applied that I had stumbled upon in the book; 'Ferrari Shopping'. As mentioned in my previous post, after reading TMF in 2014 I naturally expected a life of financial freedom, mansions and nice cars to be easily within reach (ha, looks like someone didn't differentiate Get Rich Easy from Get Rich Quick!). Hence I spent just a little too much time looking at nice houses, cars, etc. when I was in no position to buy them. As has been pointed out by many on this forum, why salivate over a decision which you're in no position to make and you may not want to make should you be in that position? From applying this concept I've been much better focused in my day to day decisions and been able to take more pertinent action to my life. I'll detail this below.

Putting Myself Out There

A big part of this pertains to firstly joining this forum; I'm putting myself out there on a public forum for judgement from others rather than hiding from the world. That can be a little scary if you haven't done it before but hey ho. As @heavy_industry commented on my Introductory post a cure to the fear of failure is realising the biggest failure is not even trying and watching helplessly as time runs out.

Overcoming Previous Hurdle of taking Concrete Action

This is probably the biggest goal and on reflection for me needs to be broken down into mini-steps; each step pertaining to each facet of Business / Fastlane development. As MJ has said, Fastlane is something you live not something you try. In terms of the mini-steps, I've broken them down to 2 main ones at the time of writing this post; Education and Business Idea Development.

Education
For this, I've taken the concrete step of improving my learning beyond the capacity of formal education. As per TMF , education of the oil needed for your engine, otherwise you'll stall on the side of the journey in obsolescence. I've enrolled in coding courses on Udemy, looking to build functioning and interactive websites. While I'm sure this is a bit of a cliché given the dozens of posts related to coding (the internet entrepreneur stereotype), as well as the viability of such a road in the 2020s, IMHO I think having your head around programming languages for Frontend and Backend development is something in demand. I don't think websites are going away and people's lives are becoming more online, so I think it's a set of skills worth investing in. I could be wrong on that so it'd be interesting to see what people write in the comments. In addition and important for me, I think proving to myself of being able to acquire a skill beyond the parameters of the SCRIPT is an important step in my life.

Business Idea Development
The first point of reference is the jobs, education and industries I've been involved in. They are as follows, with the job and educational role on the left side of the slash and their subsequent industries on the other:
  • Farming / Agriculture
  • Pallet Manufacturing / Logistics
  • Geology / Mining, construction, research, etc.
  • Industrial and Aircraft Hangar Door Manufacturing / aviation, construction, commercial facilities, rail, etc.
This skill is currently a WIP to hone in the 'Fastlane Senses' of Opportunity. Just in the reference point industries I'm sure there are opportunities needing to be solved, which are constantly knocking on the door. This is to be developed by application of GOLD! threads pertaining to business idea development to my journey. I think development of this skill is most important at this stage, as well as expanding my horizons on possible opportunities.

In terms of steps after this post, the next steps are as follows:
  • Continue on with morning runs and look to increase route distance.
  • Continue and hopefully finish The Great Rat Race Escape , applying concepts discussed in the book to my life.
  • Continue with enrolled coding courses on Udemy.
  • Begin to explore Business Idea Development by not only building upon my immediate reference points but though engagement of Business Ideas on this forum.
If you’ve got this far, thank you for your attention.

Until next time.

Alex.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Hi Alex,

Do your parents own the farm or are they tenant farmers?

Just like energy, our Government is rapidly diverting £billions into self reliance across a whole raft of sectors - even if it does not seem like it to you. And Private Companies are jumping in too. The trend wil not be going away, it's not a fad.

Food for thought.

Dan

AlexWS

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Aug 14, 2022
United Kingdom
Hi Alex,

Do your parents own the farm or are they tenant farmers?

Just like energy, our Government is rapidly diverting £billions into self reliance across a whole raft of sectors - even if it does not seem like it to you. And Private Companies are jumping in too. The trend wil not be going away, it's not a fad.

Food for thought.

Dan
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the comment.

My parents are tenant farmers.

That's an interesting article, vertical farming is something I hadn't even considered at all, not just as a need but having a facility you control completely (water flow, artificial sunlight, climate and the facility itself) could address the problems of Commandment of Control violation my parents have struggled with.

I think you could be right regarding Government investment into core industries that are vital to sustaining a country (food supply being one of them). This I think this could be more potent given the circumstances following the big political events of recent times (I'll leave them unmentioned in case of violation of forum rules but I'm sure you'll know what they are). Only time will tell of course as on this side of the veil we can't predict certainly how things will transpire.

Food for thought indeed (literally in this case)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.