The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Achieve Laser FOCUS + PRODUCTIVITY With The System Legendary Fastlaners Use...

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
A company I know loses thousands of pounds of product per day because they are focused on saving time. Every iota is raced against quota with speed SPEED SPEED! because of this speed they lose lives to forklifts and untold numbers of product.

Likewise 2P-10 is *DANGER! EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE LIQUID. Keep away from heat,sparks, and open flame, and it's being applied with a heat gun.

it's quality that matters. Fretting about seconds wastes time. it's weird that even sales managers and warehouse owners keep falling for this trap of speed, when most of them are just running on a treadmill.
Edit, didn't mean to hijack thread. this is the

Achieve Laser FOCUS + PRODUCTIVITY With The System Legendary Fastlaners Use...

good points to be made! Employee safety should be #1 goal, and after that, good use of their time :)

I see A LOT of WASTED potential in employees "just doing their job" that don't think about improving anything. If you can get your employees engaged in thinking about stuff, they will be 2x as productive up-front, and 10x as productive in a year or two.

Also, sounds like that company has a "top-down" approach towards doing things, if they would enable workers to figure out some solutions by themselves without asking for permission then they might be surprised to see what happens (decreased accidents, faster turn around time, less mistakes, etc..)

business_man

In Love With Marketing
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 25, 2014
Hey, I know there was some discussion about tools in this thread before, not sure if someone mentioned this or not (could not find anything), but if Trello is not good - take a look at quire.io. So far I love it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gasyhustler

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
May 12, 2018
I tried to use those years ago, but they made me more sluggish. So I stick to checklist wrtitten with pen and paper or on bloc-note.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Thanks brother! This really is great.

A show listener texted me, an app called Notion that has a lot of different templates for what they call pages. There is one template that they called their "to do list" that can be altered to your GSD columns exactly like Trello. It isn't as pretty as Trello, but it also has a shit load of other features that I believe will help be the "extension of my mind" that I am looking for (note taking, calendars, habit trackers, project management, CRM, ETC). Just thought you might want to check it out as well.

This is really helping my ADD tendencies!

I logged into my old Trello account yesterday to walk a client through something and saw this ol demo board. It reminded me to follow up here..

@Kak How are you getting along with this, did it fall off or still going strong?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018
Hey @LightHouse, I've got a question (sorry if I missed it in the sea of 15 pages): how do you handle time tracking? Say I like to track how long I spend on each task, and then make some figure to visualise progress better. I use Excel for this, and this is one of the reasons why I stopped trying GSD. It works really well for managing everything, but I'm struggling to make some specifics work. I ended up duplicating tasks on GSD and the project-specific Excel sheets, which was bad because it created some overhead. Do you have any ideas on how to solve this?

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 11, 2018
Hey,

On time tracking, I do not personally track my time, only results. That being said, there are apps that integrate to all these platforms that make things a lot easier. Doing it manually is probably a huge time suck.

In terms of using one vs the other....

The best system for you is the one you use most consistently.

So I would say that if excel works and helps keep you focused and organized, don't force a new system just because. If it isn't helping you or there is a gap, you'd need to fully commit to a trial of a different system to see if you get better results. The system won't MAKE you do anything though.
Thanks for your reply. I guess it's just a matter of trying one, the other, or a combination, to see what works. I think some in-between will be the sweet spot as I find both tools useful depending on the case. I think using GSD for the bigger picture (goals, projects), keeping the Someday column but leaving the smaller tasks Inbox out for big projects, keeping them in excel, might work out. Or maybe having no Inbox defeats the purpose a bit. I'll give it a shot and see.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Just added parts of your system to my Kanban. Most notably the Goals with Deadlines, the Today list which I call "Today 80/20 + the 1 thing", and the on hold. Also guys instead of using Trello for this I use Notion + Notion AI and it really supercharges the system! It literally gives you ideas on the spot of what the next steps inside your projects should be! From my side, a big thank you and a sign of approval :)
Awesome, there actually is a linked template board for Notion in this thread, you just reminded me I need to add those to the main post so they are seen.

V2 will be using clickup, and I will have to see if it's replicable in notion without a ton of issues.

Silent...

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 14, 2022
Do you use multiple boards to organize everything?

I tried putting everything in one board and it looks really messy.
So I created another board for my personal life but then I have the today list with 3 tasks twice. Not sure if this is the right way to do it.

And do you create goals from your Projects?
Like for example:
Project: Publish a Book
Goal1:Write Book
Goal 2: Launch Book

Last edited:

DrWumbo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Sep 22, 2016
Can you give me 1-2 examples? (And the timeline)

This way I can explain and also walk through an example to serve as reference for everyone.

This is one of the questions that was extracted so it will be in the future videos as well.
Example 1:

We are trying to systemize and improve our SEO process. I came up with an overall gameplan, that included a bunch of different steps. I asked our newly hired SEO employee to take a look at it and add in anything I missed. While I completed a good bulk of everything, there were still steps that were missing from my process, simply because I didn't even know of the steps in the first place.

DrWumbo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Sep 22, 2016
@LightHouse

Alright, so here is what I have come up with so far for an Off-Page SEO Outline process.

Next Steps:

1.) Review with team, address some of the questions I have about the processes, and finalize the outline. (Next week)
2.) Record SOP video of going through each step, pass it off to our consulting team to build out the SOP documents (2 weeks from now)
3.) Consulting team incorporates the SEO process into our Clickup build for us (3-4 weeks from now)

As for the timeline, this entire process needs to be done in 30 days. Our on-page SEO (technical, service pages, blog's) etc. is great, our off-page strategy is where we lack, and we can get some crazy results in bigger markets if we can nail it.

DrWumbo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Sep 22, 2016
That's good work, those SOP's can be deployed right into clickup as well and the entire process can be laid out and tracked within the app using templates for cards on each client.

This is always a critical piece in growth that most miss. You don't want more work on your shoulders if it's something that process and systems can handle. Once complete, that saved time can go right back to biz dev and you will be more confident that the more clients you get, the biz can handle them.
Amen to that!

We hired this company to help with systemizing everything -> Home - Agency Rocket Fuel, and it has been the best investment we have made.

I'm super excited to see and utilize GSD 2.0 for both my personal life and biz operations.

DrWumbo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Sep 22, 2016
Finishing the off-page SEO strategy and incorporating it into Clickup.

We will have the SOP's done for the entire process in the next 2 weeks.

Also, following the GSD method & chunking/simplifying goals has been huge for me. I'm taking more time to "sharpen the axe" to develop an achievable gameplan, rather than setting a goal and trying to work on it without direction.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.