The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ACCESS ONLY: People who make $1000 a week or more independently

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

chrisbiz4444

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 9, 2013
RI
Just kidding. I would like to hear everyone's views even if your NOT making $1000 or more a week independently. Everything helps. And I was Just trying some new copy skills out on the title to see if it improved clicks lol !

Who here is making $1000 or more a week independently ( without being an employee) ?

Solutions I think could work:
1-I Learn a skill like copy-writing, coding or something similar.
2- Get my real estate license

What do you think is a good path for someone who wants to make money independently?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
According to Joe Sugarman, serif'd fonts provide greater reading comprehension than non-serif fonts.

You could do copy-writing... However I've been told to keep my job and learn from it. Of course I work in retail though... Your story may be different.
Still, learn copy-writing regardless. You will need it later on.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Learn to write good copy and you can make far more than $1000 per week in a very short amount of time. It is probably one of the best skills I have picked up so far, it applies to everything you do as an entrepreneur.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
What do you think is a good path for someone who wants to make money independently?

Picking ONE thing and go 110% with it. I see you posting new ideas all the time on here and it doesnt seem like you're sticking with one. This was my biggest obstacle to overcome, and when I did- I had more focus than ever.

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA
Picking ONE thing and go 110% with it. I see you posting new ideas all the time on here and it doesnt seem like you're sticking with one. This was my biggest obstacle to overcome, and when I did- I had more focus than ever.

This.

Andrewkar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Oct 10, 2012
I would say start SEO agency for local or international clients. You don't need to know how to do SEO, you will need someone to do it for you. If you start today, in your second month you could be making at least $2000 profit. I did it.

My big fat fastlane idea wasn't successful and I ended up with loan, no savings and no income. So, I decided to do SEO as providing services is in my opinion the fastest way to make some money. It's not a fastlane but at least I make money and have no idiots over my head.

It's my fourth month now and I will close next month with $4000 profit. At this moment I do 80% of SEO myself, as soon as I make my first $6000 profit, I'm going to get VA who will start taking some work out of my shoulders. In about 12 months I should have at least 3 of them and they will be doing majority of boring technical work. I will focus on getting more clients and optimizing the system.

For some info about SEO check out source wave website. Owner of the site, Becker is a showman and there is a lot of hype going on but if you follow his guidelines, you will be good to go.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I would say start SEO agency for local or international clients. You don't need to know how to do SEO, you will need someone to do it for you. If you start today, in your second month you could be making at least $2000 profit. I did it.
Given the current state of organic search marketing, that's really bad business. When I initially got into the SEO game, I thought that I would do the same (and I still do for a select few clients). But my point being if you don't know what the F*ck you are doing, you could easily ruin a clients site which could potentially ruin someone's business.

I'm all for making money, but if you don't have a clue and are just talking people into SEO contracts without a firm understanding of the model and proper practices of a constantly shifting landscape such as search, you probably shouldn't be propositioning others to put faith into you. Even if you do hire someone that is supposedly great at SEO, how can you vet them and really know if they are worth their salt?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Curious, would you care to share how you are acquiring your clients?

Andrewkar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Oct 10, 2012
Hi Ungodly,

I do have experience in SEO, about 4 years in general, and solid probably 2 years. I know what is going on. In my opinion, current state of organic search isn't new at all. Yep, there was some update and some people lost their sites etc. Always will be like this. Also, these days SEO is not more difficult than it was before, the point is that many people (especially SEO providers) want this situation to be seen as fu********** because that allows for bigger profits and helps cut out weak competition.

To be clear, I'm not saying "go get clients, get their money and send them some cheap links....". I'm giving source of information, website where is some very good and solid info. Also, there is forum and rather serious SEO people who share their knowledge and are always ready to help.

You don't need to know SEO to make money in that business. If he don't know SEO he can go to that website, learn, make new friends and get his business up and running very fast. It's only matter of dedication and work... but you know that.

That being said, SEO and all that technical terms may seem a bit overwhelming at the beginning. In reality, SEO is easy. Hard part is getting good clients so we can actually deliver results and make some good profit. Most people will fail in SEO not because they don't know technical side of it, but because they are after worst kind of clients. It's all about positioning in this business.

Clients how have no money will always be pita... plus they have no money so you will have to charge peanuts. On the other hand there are clients who have money :) And those are the ones who will be easy to work with, and as long as you are honest with them (even if rankings are shit) they will have patience to go with you (for some time...).

Now, the best part is that majority of the SEO providers is focusing on bottom end clients. Why? Well, simply they are blocked for big money. Harv Eker call this financial thermostat. In that place competition is bigger, clients are difficult, money is not there and overall it's a very bad place to start a new business.

It's much easier and wiser to approach good clients. Why? less competition, better money and less headaches. Sure, that require some education... MJ's book is here for everyone.

Andrewkar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Oct 10, 2012
Curious, would you care to share how you are acquiring your clients?

Sure,

1) Elance (most clients, only Escrow jobs, only upfront payment, rock bottom fee $400/M... nothing for less.)

2) Website (organic)

3) Facebook ads (sometimes, high end clients)

BTW, I do international SEO mostly.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I do have experience in SEO, about 4 years in general, and solid probably 2 years.
This is all the difference. Just saying telling someone super green to open up shop doing SEO for clients is like telling a hobo to go do brain surgery.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
1) I notice a lot of new entrepreneurs are focused on making money. Don't. Rephrase "what can I do to make money?" to "what can I do for someone else that they would find to be valuable."

2) I'm going to be the only person on the forum to tell you copy writing isn't the holy grail of business, the product is. I look at people who focus only on copy writing like used car salesmen trying to sell me a beater well above the blue book value. I've turned down every sales person from a position on my sales team because they rarely, genuinely care about my product.

What I've heard from copywriters:
"I don't need to know the product."
"The product doesn't matter."
"I'm an expert at selling."
"I sell shit for a living."

Unfortunately for these people, I'm not selling shit, I'm selling an amazing product. As good as they think their copy writing skills are, they've never sold me on a single thing.

3) I'm also going to be one of the only people on the forum to tell you coding is f***ing awesome. The learning curve to become an expert programmer is extremely high, I had to read hundreds of books, and took a job in the industry for two years figuring it out as I went. When people talk about having a backup plan, they're usually referring to the piece of paper known as college. College isn't a skill. It's not going to empower you to do anything if you didn't acquire a marketable skill. When I started learning coding to start a software company, I had a backup plan, I was learning an insanely marketable skill that allows me to leverage time to maximize value. Several years later and I'm only ever a couple hours away from making any idea I have a reality. When I need extra cash for my business or some cool toy, I'll leverage this skill by doing a contracting job I find interesting (I get hundreds of offers a month). To walk into an accounting department and eliminate 1-2 jobs paying $45k a year usually only takes a few hours. Every month I'll do it once or twice on a Saturday or Sunday walking away with $2500-$5000 for several hours worth of work. My joke with my roommate is that my going rate has been $1200 an hour. Why is there so much pay? In a case where I eliminate two $45k salary jobs within 8 hours... I added $90,000 of value in a single day's work. =o Powerful, right?

JudoTom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Sep 3, 2013
Scranton PA

find a problem or problem and solve it. provide a service that is valuable. provide entertainment, joy or make people feel good.

do any of those and then get good at marketing yourself.

RyonsLions2

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 5, 2013
What if you have a product and all you need is an investor? How can you find investors to help you get manufactured and on shelves??

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
What if you have a product and all you need is an investor? How can you find investors to help you get manufactured and on shelves??

In a lot of cities there are local startup circles that host events where entrepreneurs come and talk, or the sole purpose is for entrepreneurs to meet investors. Great places to start would be meetup.com as well as checking out the local startup incubators and coworking locations in your area. All three are hotbeds for these events. :)

RyonsLions2

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 5, 2013
In a lot of cities there are local startup circles that host events where entrepreneurs come and talk, or the sole purpose is for entrepreneurs to meet investors. Great places to start would be meetup.com as well as checking out the local startup incubators and coworking locations in your area. All three are hotbeds for these events. :)

Thank you so much!!! I will research these options!!

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013

awanrmb

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jun 24, 2013
Indonesia
3) I'm also going to be one of the only people on the forum to tell you coding is f***ing awesome. The learning curve to become an expert programmer is extremely high, I had to read hundreds of books, and took a job in the industry for two years figuring it out as I went. When people talk about having a backup plan, they're usually referring to the piece of paper known as college. College isn't a skill. It's not going to empower you to do anything if you didn't acquire a marketable skill. When I started learning coding to start a software company, I had a backup plan, I was learning an insanely marketable skill that allows me to leverage time to maximize value. Several years later and I'm only ever a couple hours away from making any idea I have a reality. When I need extra cash for my business or some cool toy, I'll leverage this skill by doing a contracting job I find interesting (I get hundreds of offers a month). To walk into an accounting department and eliminate 1-2 jobs paying $45k a year usually only takes a few hours. Every month I'll do it once or twice on a Saturday or Sunday walking away with $2500-$5000 for several hours worth of work. My joke with my roommate is that my going rate has been $1200 an hour. Why is there so much pay? In a case where I eliminate two $45k salary jobs within 8 hours... I added $90,000 of value in a single day's work. =o Powerful, right?

Hi Dknise,

Could you please elaborate more about this point no:3 ?
I'm a freelancer myself in the area of Wordpress design.
I usually doing website re-design based on Wordpress template.
I'm curious how you can leverage this skill and also how to market it to reach the point that you describe above?

Thanks,
Awan

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Hi Dknise,

Could you please elaborate more about this point no:3 ?
I'm a freelancer myself in the area of Wordpress design.
I usually doing website re-design based on Wordpress template.
I'm curious how you can leverage this skill and also how to market it to reach the point that you describe above?

Thanks,
Awan

WordPress design is single point way to leverage programming skills. It builds a static product, because while the back end continues to change, the front end still stays the same. The way to leverage your programming skills for maximum worth is to go after transaction based automation. Tasks that are repeatedly done by a human that can be automated. Accounting just happens to be one of the easiest and highest demanded tasks that can be automated. Because a repeated task has a cost / hour attached to a human to continue to do it, the cost is linear over time, so your offer can either be linear (contract based) or static (single cost based) where the longer they use the automation the more money they save. I chose static because linear like a SaaS product brings the expectation of continuous maintenance and upkeep. Choosing static on a linear money saver though, raises the worth of what you're providing. That's how I can get away with charging $5,000 for an 8 hour job, because they are often spending $45,000 A YEAR to have the exact same task performed.

If you'd like more details on exactly what automations accountants usually ask for, shoot me a pm. :) I have an inter-company framework called com.averscer that I use to leverage past solutions to projects.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
There are so many jobs on the line from automation via programming or robots. Great area to be in

Accounting SaaS websites for accountants are saving them a fortune while also making them faster and more prodessional.
Offices need lees admin staff as one person can do more today than 3 people from 10 years ago
even supermarkets are using the self scan tills and handsets are replacing them shitty manual cashier jobs

If you can save business money then there is money in it for you

Andrewkar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Oct 10, 2012
This is all the difference. Just saying telling someone super green to open up shop doing SEO for clients is like telling a hobo to go do brain surgery.
Well, sure it makes difference but not that much in this case. On the Becker's forum you can find few testimonials of people who started from zero and thanks to support they received on the forum, they landed their first clients in range of $300-800/M. All the SEO knowledge is there, and some good support also.

So in my opinion even someone totally green in SEO can make it. And I think the biggest obstacle for a new people is fear that they may not be able to learn "all that SEO technical stuff...". But if someone really wants to become SEO then all the knowledge and tools are there, almost for free.
I'm not telling about big SEO operation. Just small freelance.

EDIT:

BTW, I have mentioned Harv Eker. Well...this guy is charging 50K for his TOP seminars!!! His book is pretty good and I like it. However, lately I have made some "investigation" and it looks like he is not that big deal as he wants people to think about him. Same goes for R Kiyosaki (Canadian TV made movie about his "business" using hidden cameras on one of his seminars...Bad things going on there!). It's really hard to track those guys early businesses, and it could be that they become wealthy thanks to selling books about "how to become wealthy" :/

chrisbiz4444

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 9, 2013
RI

My big fat fastlane idea wasn't successful and I ended up with loan, no savings and no income. So, I decided to do SEO as providing services is in my opinion the fastest way to make some money. It's not a fastlane but at least I make money and have no idiots over my head.

It's my fourth month now and I will close next month with $4000 profit. At this moment I do 80% of SEO myself, as soon as I make my first $6000 profit, I'm going to get VA who will start taking some work out of my shoulders. In about 12 months I should have at least 3 of them and they will be doing majority of boring technical work. I will focus on getting more clients and optimizing the system.

For some info about SEO check out source wave website. Owner of the site, Becker is a showman and there is a lot of hype going on but if you follow his guidelines, you will be good to go.

I have actually been on sorce-wave. I read some good things, however after getting into the membership forum I seen very little success- $100 a month and stuff like that. After that I started to think maybe this isnt such a good business to get into.

Andrewkar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Oct 10, 2012
Hey, I don't know when you been there, but you are right. Lately things are changing. Source wave became a lame place. On the beginning it was a MUCH better quality. I think owners have made what they were after and that's it.

Mugen

Mach 10
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 21, 2014
37.235065, -115.811117
Just kidding. I would like to hear everyone's views even if your NOT making $1000 or more a week independently. Everything helps. And I was Just trying some new copy skills out on the title to see if it improved clicks lol !

Who here is making $1000 or more a week independently ( without being an employee) ?

Solutions I think could work:
1-I Learn a skill like copy-writing, coding or something similar.
2- Get my real estate license

1) This has already been said, but it's worth saying again - pick 1 thing to focus on and focus on that thing only.

2) F*ck getting a real estate license. Seriously.

3) Write down what you are trying to accomplish and be as specific as possible because this alone will guide you along your path. For example, if your goal is to make six figures by the end of this year, something like coding may not suffice. It's a great skill, but it will take a lot of time and patience which may not fit in with your goals. Plus the fact that you can always hire a skilled coder.

I agree with Andrewkar as well as Ungodly with their remarks on SEO services.

I built my company and current income level from SEO which has given me the opportunity to have my own company and have capital to reinvest into Fastlane business ventures. I can honestly say that I wouldn't be where I am today without SEO.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.