Good evening people! I hope you are all having a wonderful week so far! I'm extremely excited but even more nervous as I'm about to make the biggest decision of my life - I'm about to buy my first house!
A little bit of background - I'm a 23 year old Canadian. I have a well paying (for most people), steady, government job. Real estate is something I have thought about for a long time but I've always been too afraid to pull the trigger. I'm usually not afraid of failing, and I love taking on new challenges. However in this case failing means digging myself a hole that is hundreds of thousands of dollars deep. This hole may take me a lifetime to climb out of!
I know that real estate has potential for massive gains! My intention with this house is to fix it up and flip it.
The details:
- This particular house that I'm looking at is an estate sale. It has been on the market for 4 months and counting.
- 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, double garage.
- Listed price of house: $189,000
- My offer: $140,000
- Their counter offer: $169,000
- City's assessed value: $266,000
The house has not been lived in for at least 4 months since it's been on the market. It looks like a borderline hoarder house. From what I can tell (and I am no expert) it needs at least one bathroom redone, all the garbage cleared out of the house, the whole interior repainted, some floors done and some other minor repairs. I was unable to find any structural damage but things could turn up after the house inspection. In other words, in theory, this house could easily be flipped.
Now I have two options - either make a counter offer ( I was hoping to get the place at around $150,000) or keep looking for another place. I'm leaning more towards making a them another offer. One of my conditions as a buyer is that I must be satisfied with the inspection. So I still have a way out if I decide that I don't want to buy the place anymore. Like I mentioned above - I'm extremely nervous but the alternative is staying at my job and forever wondering how much money I could've made with this flip.
I'm going to look at the house one more time tomorrow before I make the decision. I will update this thread with pictures if there is interest.
Thank you for reading! Advice and suggestions are welcome, especially if you are in the flipping business. I will update the thread as soon as I have news.
A little bit of background - I'm a 23 year old Canadian. I have a well paying (for most people), steady, government job. Real estate is something I have thought about for a long time but I've always been too afraid to pull the trigger. I'm usually not afraid of failing, and I love taking on new challenges. However in this case failing means digging myself a hole that is hundreds of thousands of dollars deep. This hole may take me a lifetime to climb out of!
I know that real estate has potential for massive gains! My intention with this house is to fix it up and flip it.
The details:
- This particular house that I'm looking at is an estate sale. It has been on the market for 4 months and counting.
- 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, double garage.
- Listed price of house: $189,000
- My offer: $140,000
- Their counter offer: $169,000
- City's assessed value: $266,000
The house has not been lived in for at least 4 months since it's been on the market. It looks like a borderline hoarder house. From what I can tell (and I am no expert) it needs at least one bathroom redone, all the garbage cleared out of the house, the whole interior repainted, some floors done and some other minor repairs. I was unable to find any structural damage but things could turn up after the house inspection. In other words, in theory, this house could easily be flipped.
Now I have two options - either make a counter offer ( I was hoping to get the place at around $150,000) or keep looking for another place. I'm leaning more towards making a them another offer. One of my conditions as a buyer is that I must be satisfied with the inspection. So I still have a way out if I decide that I don't want to buy the place anymore. Like I mentioned above - I'm extremely nervous but the alternative is staying at my job and forever wondering how much money I could've made with this flip.
I'm going to look at the house one more time tomorrow before I make the decision. I will update this thread with pictures if there is interest.
Thank you for reading! Advice and suggestions are welcome, especially if you are in the flipping business. I will update the thread as soon as I have news.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
