What's new

About to take the biggest risk of my life.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

theOfficialRJ

Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Good evening people! I hope you are all having a wonderful week so far! I'm extremely excited but even more nervous as I'm about to make the biggest decision of my life - I'm about to buy my first house!

A little bit of background - I'm a 23 year old Canadian. I have a well paying (for most people), steady, government job. Real estate is something I have thought about for a long time but I've always been too afraid to pull the trigger. I'm usually not afraid of failing, and I love taking on new challenges. However in this case failing means digging myself a hole that is hundreds of thousands of dollars deep. This hole may take me a lifetime to climb out of!

I know that real estate has potential for massive gains! My intention with this house is to fix it up and flip it.

The details:
- This particular house that I'm looking at is an estate sale. It has been on the market for 4 months and counting.
- 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, double garage.
- Listed price of house: $189,000
- My offer: $140,000
- Their counter offer: $169,000
- City's assessed value: $266,000

The house has not been lived in for at least 4 months since it's been on the market. It looks like a borderline hoarder house. From what I can tell (and I am no expert) it needs at least one bathroom redone, all the garbage cleared out of the house, the whole interior repainted, some floors done and some other minor repairs. I was unable to find any structural damage but things could turn up after the house inspection. In other words, in theory, this house could easily be flipped.

Now I have two options - either make a counter offer ( I was hoping to get the place at around $150,000) or keep looking for another place. I'm leaning more towards making a them another offer. One of my conditions as a buyer is that I must be satisfied with the inspection. So I still have a way out if I decide that I don't want to buy the place anymore. Like I mentioned above - I'm extremely nervous but the alternative is staying at my job and forever wondering how much money I could've made with this flip.

I'm going to look at the house one more time tomorrow before I make the decision. I will update this thread with pictures if there is interest.

Thank you for reading! Advice and suggestions are welcome, especially if you are in the flipping business. I will update the thread as soon as I have news.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today
O jewi pu lpuxmifhi ug gmoqqoph, cav vjot tuapft moli ep opvisitvoph qsukidv. Vu jewi vji ecomovz vu qatj gusxesf ev zuas ehi ot qsivvz onqsittowi epf tasi zua xomm dsatj vjot epf nadj nusi.

O ettani zua'wi sep tuni itvonevit up iyqidvif sivasp?

Tuni raitvoupt vu etl zuastimg:

Jux nadj $$$ xomm ov veli vu siqeos/sinufim?

Jux nadj xomm vji nesliv taqqusv gus e temit qsodi? Jewi zua sep tuni dunqesecmit vu ci tasi? (ettittif wemai gus veyit niept wisz movvmi)

Jux nepz dunqesecmit fofp'v timm ev vji qsodi zua piif?

Xjev't vji ectumavi muxitv zua duamf timm vu csieliwip?

Jux muph fu zua iyqidv ov vu tov up vji nesliv? Xjev't vji ewisehi voni up nesliv gus dunqesecmit?

Jewi zua gohasif veyit, avomovoit, epf mipfoph iyqiptit opvu zuas gohasit gus vji voni civxiip qasdjeti epf timm? (voni vu sinufim + voni up nesliv)

Jewi zua gohasif csulisehi iyqiptit opvu zuas gohasit? Og zua qmep up "gus temi cz uxpis" fof zua qmep up neslivoph iyqiptit epf vji edvaem qsuditt ug tjuxoph vji juati xjip zua jewi e gammvoni kuc?

O'wi gmoqqif e gix juatit, ov't iydovoph, cav muvt vu vjopl ecuav vuu.

Miv vji pancist vimm zua vji xjumi tvusz!

O xuamf tez vjev ov emm fiqipft up vji mudevoup ug vji juati epf vji edvaem finepf gus juatit op vjot qesvodames dovz.
Nez O etl zua op xjodj qsuwopdi/dovz ot vji juati?

O ettani zua'wi sep tuni itvonevit up iyqidvif sivasp?

Tuni raitvoupt vu etl zuastimg:

Jux nadj $$$ xomm ov veli vu siqeos/sinufim?

Jux nadj xomm vji nesliv taqqusv gus e temit qsodi? Jewi zua sep tuni dunqesecmit vu ci tasi? (ettittif wemai gus veyit niept wisz movvmi)

Jux nepz dunqesecmit fofp'v timm ev vji qsodi zua piif?

Xjev't vji ectumavi muxitv zua duamf timm vu csieliwip?

Jux muph fu zua iyqidv ov vu tov up vji nesliv? Xjev't vji ewisehi voni up nesliv gus dunqesecmit?

Jewi zua gohasif veyit, avomovoit, epf mipfoph iyqiptit opvu zuas gohasit gus vji voni civxiip qasdjeti epf timm? (voni vu sinufim + voni up nesliv)

Jewi zua gohasif csulisehi iyqiptit opvu zuas gohasit? Og zua qmep up "gus temi cz uxpis" fof zua qmep up neslivoph iyqiptit epf vji edvaem qsuditt ug tjuxoph vji juati xjip zua jewi e gammvoni kuc?

O'wi gmoqqif e gix juatit, ov't iydovoph, cav muvt vu vjopl ecuav vuu.

Miv vji pancist vimm zua vji xjumi tvusz!

O xup'v lpux jux nadj iyedvmz ov xomm veli vu goy aq vji juati apvom vji optqidvoup ot fupi. Nz tevotgedvoup xovj vji optqidvoup ot upi ug nz dupfovoupt gus cazoph vji juati tu O jewi vjev et ep iyov tvsevihz.

Tonomes juatit op vji teni esie jewi tumf epzxjisi gsun $177,YYY vu $283,YYY.

Puv tasi ecuav jux muph vji dunqesecmit tev up vji nesliv epf jux nepz fofp'v timm.

O iyqidv vu neli epzxjisi civxiip 20L vu 50L fiqipfoph up jux nadj O hiv ov gus, jux nadj vji sijec xomm dutv ivd. Dassipvmz, ov't e cazist nesliv jisi op nz dovz tu vji juatit esi timmoph cimux ettittif wemai. O qmep up xusloph up ov uwis vji xopvis epf vjip motvoph ov esuapf Nesdj.

O xuamf tez vjev ov emm fiqipft up vji mudevoup ug vji juati epf vji edvaem finepf gus juatit op vjot qesvodames dovz.
Nez O etl zua op xjodj qsuwopdi/dovz ot vji juati?

Ifnupvup EC.

Nz raitvoup ot fu zua jewi e sidunnipfif dupvsedvus vjev uvjist jewi atif vu gmoq juatit?

Og zua fu vjot fiem upmz qez zuas dupvsedvus op optvemmnipvt tu puv emm ev updi tu vjiz tvomm jewi opdipvowi vu gopotj.

Etl vjin jux nepz xiilt vjiz iyqidv ov vu veli vu dunqivi epf vjip eff e duaqmi xiilt vu vjev pancis epf xsovi aq e dupvsedv.

Zua dep tez vjiz xomm sidiowi e cupat og vjiz gopotj up voni us vjisi xomm ci e gii gus iedj xiil muphis ov velit.

Og zua hiv ov apfis 160l zua’f ci cazoph apfis 60% ettittif wemai.

Etl qiuqmi up cohhis qudlivt katv et ticetvze teof.

Membership Required: Upgrade to Expose Nearly 1,000,000 Posts

Ready to Unleash the Millionaire Entrepreneur in You?

Become a member of the Fastlane Forum, the private community founded by best-selling author and multi-millionaire entrepreneur MJ DeMarco. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has poured his heart and soul into the Fastlane Forum, helping entrepreneurs reclaim their time, win their financial freedom, and live their best life.

With more than 39,000 posts packed with insights, strategies, and advice, you’re not just a member—you’re stepping into MJ’s inner-circle, a place where you’ll never be left alone.

Become a member and gain immediate access to...

• Active Community: Ever join a community only to find it DEAD? Not at Fastlane! As you can see from our home page, life-changing content is posted dozens of times daily.
  • Exclusive Insights: Direct access to MJ DeMarco’s daily contributions and wisdom.
  • Powerful Networking Opportunities: Connect with a diverse group of successful entrepreneurs who can offer mentorship, collaboration, and opportunities.
  • Proven Strategies: Learn from the best in the business, with actionable advice and strategies that can accelerate your success.

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with the most..."

Who are you surrounding yourself with? Surround yourself with millionaire success. Join Fastlane today!

Join Today

Welcome to an Entrepreneurial Revolution

The Fastlane Forum empowers you to break free from conventional thinking to achieve financial freedom through UNSCRIPTED® Entrepreneurship where relative value and problem-solving are executed at scale. Living Unscripted® isn’t just a business strategy—it’s a way of life.

Follow MJ DeMarco

Get The Books that Change Lives...

The Fastlane entrepreneurial strategy is based on the CENTS Framework® which is based on the three best-selling books by MJ DeMarco.

mj demarco books
Back
Top Bottom