The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A story of perseverance, Feedback is welcomed.

Idea threads

RepoJoy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 21, 2022
Hi! My name is Fede, I’m a full-stack dev and have been making a living as one for many years even though my dream has always been to create a product. I've tried once before but I failed. Even worse, I spent over 500 hours designing and developing features that nobody ever used.

Working as a Senior dev I spend a ton of hours doing code reviews. Trying to optimize this time, I’ve experienced how challenging it is to be consistent in PR descriptions, comments, commits, styling, and other tedious tasks as the teams grows.

So, I’ve decided to go at it again and try to solve this problem!

I’m thinking of creating RepoJoy an “automatic” way of getting the most consistent code and repository, all integrated into the PR process
But this time I am doing it differently. Before creating the product and spending countless hours doing so, I want to get as much feedback and validation as possible.
I would LOVE to get your feedback on the idea and the product: RepoJoy - Automagical consistent code and repositories
Would be amazing to get your thoughts and there is no too harsh or too little feedback. All feedback will be extremely welcomed.

Thanks so much, everyone!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Hi! My name is Fede, I’m a full-stack dev and have been making a living as one for many years even though my dream has always been to create a product. I've tried once before but I failed. Even worse, I spent over 500 hours designing and developing features that nobody ever used.

Working as a Senior dev I spend a ton of hours doing code reviews. Trying to optimize this time, I’ve experienced how challenging it is to be consistent in PR descriptions, comments, commits, styling, and other tedious tasks as the teams grows.

I’m thinking of creating RepoJoy an “automatic” way of getting the most consistent code and repository, all integrated into the PR process
But this time I am doing it differently. Before creating the product and spending countless hours doing so, I want to get as much feedback and validation as possible.
I would LOVE to get your feedback on the idea and the product: RepoJoy - Automagical consistent code and repositories
Would be amazing to get your thoughts and there is no too harsh or too little feedback. All feedback will be extremely welcomed.

I am a copywriter, not a developer, but I've dipped my toe into coding just enough to know that keeping code organized is tedious and also necessary.

So you're definitely starting with a problem.

From a copywriting perspective, will your page sell your product? Here are a couple of ways you can make it stronger.

1. The first word on the page is "Automagically" and you use the same word at least 3 times in different places. I don't object to using it once, but if anyone who knows that "it's not magic," it's your target audience. I think a stronger argument would be something along the lines of, "We're coders. We automate everything we do. If there's a repetitive task, we write a script for it. So why do we still manually go in and clean up our code, when that's a boring task that takes forever? Now there is a programmatic way to do that, too."

2. What languages does it work on? What platforms/workflows is it compatible with? I didn't see this detail on the page. You mentioned languages in the context of Google translate, so I assume that means languages like English vs. Spanish etc... But what code languages does it work on?

3. I understood your product better from your forum post here than I did from the landing page. It needs to be effortless for your website visitors to understand, "What is this and who is it for?"

I would recommend inserting this exact quote into your page:

This is a very strong quote for a few reasons.
- It humanizes you. It shows that a real person is behind this project.
- It establishes your credibility. You're a senior dev. Even better: edit this to say, "full-stack senior dev."
- It focuses the reader's mind on the pain point. By dwelling on the pain point, it helps the potential client to realize and remember how much they'd like to get out of pain. It subtly communicates, "Here. Take this RepoJoy. It'll be like a Tylenol for a headache."
- It suggests that the product actually works. You can infer, "Yeah this guy got tired of all this boring, repetitive work, so he programmed a way to never have to do it again. And when it worked for him, he decided to bring it to market."

If you can work this quote in closer to the top, e.g. right after the main above-the-fold stuff, I think it'll have a beneficial impact. Maybe add a nice ending sentence to the quote, like, "That's why I developed RepoJoy."

CryptoCurt

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Oct 2, 2019
Germany

I love your idea, Fede! I have a strong SAP Background, therefore i wanted to point you in that direction to copy some features and also use this PPT to enhance your product description. Here a PDF from SAP, which you can use as template.
I guess most of the feats you can check / add to your product or if already exist, add it as a point in your whitepaper.

RepoJoy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 21, 2022
I am a copywriter, not a developer, but I've dipped my toe into coding just enough to know that keeping code organized is tedious and also necessary.

So you're definitely starting with a problem.

From a copywriting perspective, will your page sell your product? Here are a couple of ways you can make it stronger.

1. The first word on the page is "Automagically" and you use the same word at least 3 times in different places. I don't object to using it once, but if anyone who knows that "it's not magic," it's your target audience. I think a stronger argument would be something along the lines of, "We're coders. We automate everything we do. If there's a repetitive task, we write a script for it. So why do we still manually go in and clean up our code, when that's a boring task that takes forever? Now there is a programmatic way to do that, too."

2. What languages does it work on? What platforms/workflows is it compatible with? I didn't see this detail on the page. You mentioned languages in the context of Google translate, so I assume that means languages like English vs. Spanish etc... But what code languages does it work on?

3. I understood your product better from your forum post here than I did from the landing page. It needs to be effortless for your website visitors to understand, "What is this and who is it for?"

I would recommend inserting this exact quote into your page:

This is a very strong quote for a few reasons.
- It humanizes you. It shows that a real person is behind this project.
- It establishes your credibility. You're a senior dev. Even better: edit this to say, "full-stack senior dev."
- It focuses the reader's mind on the pain point. By dwelling on the pain point, it helps the potential client to realize and remember how much they'd like to get out of pain. It subtly communicates, "Here. Take this RepoJoy. It'll be like a Tylenol for a headache."
- It suggests that the product actually works. You can infer, "Yeah this guy got tired of all this boring, repetitive work, so he programmed a way to never have to do it again. And when it worked for him, he decided to bring it to market."

If you can work this quote in closer to the top, e.g. right after the main above-the-fold stuff, I think it'll have a beneficial impact. Maybe add a nice ending sentence to the quote, like, "That's why I developed RepoJoy."
Hi mate, your feedback was awesome.
I've followed all your tips and we have a new version of the landing, I would love if you check it.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Hi mate, your feedback was awesome.
I've followed all your tips and we have a new version of the landing, I would love if you check it.

Thanks!
Awesome, great job!

Couple of feedback points...

1. This sentence: "I believe this to be tedious enough, that I’m in the process of building RepoJoy, to solve this problem for myself and hopefully one day, for you as well."
- "Hopefully one day"???? What about today? By phrasing it this way, you're inviting the prospect to go away and consider RepoJoy "hopefully one day."
- "In the process of building"... this makes it feel really incomplete and not nearly as solid as "I built RepoJoy to solve this problem once and for all. Now you can take advantage of it, too."

2. Pricing section: "To further help me validate the need and for me to know I’m not the only crazy one that thinks this is an important but tedious problem, I’m trying to get 10 true sufferers that are willing to pay $10 that will grant them a lifetime subscription (it will be multiples of that per month once we launch)."
- "10 true sufferers" ??? Dude, you're apologizing for your own product. You're implying that anyone who buys this is just acting out of the goodness of their heart, but really, they're poor, suffering souls who have to put up with a terrible product. - "To further help me validate the need and for me to know I’m not the only crazy one" - NO ONE buys a product because they want to help YOU validate it. They buy a product because they believe it will help THEM to solve a problem they dislike. You've got to reframe your thinking. Getting this product into someone's hands is not you being slimy and yucky. It's actually HELPING them. So act like it on your homepage.
- A better approach would be to confidently put it in their hands. "If you hate code reviews as much as I do, solve your problem once and for all when you get a lifetime account to RepoJoy."
- To increase conversions and make the offer feel like a no-brainer, I also suggest inventing a plausible monthly subscription price that you could conceivably end up charging for this. Display it prominently, with the price crossed out. e.g. $19.99/month $10 Lifetime

3. Your headline and subhead.
"Front-end Devs: Automagically have the most beautiful standardized code and repository with our GitHub App
Save time and errors and always get the most consistent code and repository automatically integrated into your Pull Request process
Get your code and naming standarized, work better, save time."
- I actually feel like your original headline was stronger. This one takes a LOT of mental RAM to sort out what you are saying. When a new visitor comes to this page, they are trying to sort out, "What is it?" Make this answer as clear and effortless to understand as possible.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.