The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A startup question: Revenue to hard assets to income?

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hi all,

I formed my startup as an LLC with one partner. Its a service business thats based on a monthly subscription model.

The startup idea has been validated and its growing. Revenue is starting to get to a decent monthly level and its prompted me to step back and take a look at the overall plan yet again.

I was initially planning to have the business generate revenue and just take distributions. As an LLC, as I understand it, its pass through income and taxed as personal income anyway. Recently I have been bouncing a different plan around in my head:

What if I altered the business structure of the LLC to that of a C-Corp instead? Then left most of the net revenue (after putting some revenue back in to scale) the company generates "In" the company by taking much smaller owner distributions. (The truth is, I dont need a large paycheck, I live very frugal). My thinking is the company revenue would be taxed at a lower rate. Once the company generates a sufficient grub stake, invest it into other assets, possibly hard assets such as real estate (multi-units, commercial properties etc.). Then as the hard assets begin to cash flow, take distributions from that revenue instead of the company's direct revenue.

Im not sure how the hard assets would be held, perhaps in another LLC which is a subsidiary of the C-Corp, not sure (most likely a lawyer question) but basically its using the C-Corp revenue to buy hard assets, then getting paid from those assets (rent) rather than direct company revenue (from customers).

My thinking is that the revenue from commercial and large residential properties is more passive, and also appreciation can be obtained (my area has very high RE appreciation). The company builds a portfolio of assets, and its also slightly diversified in its income stream. If the core business faces challenges, there would (in theory) be another income stream coming in each month.

Does this sound like a better plan than taking straight distributions in an LLC and then trying to buy these hard assets afterwards? I think my end goal would really be to own a few multi-units anyway. Just trying to figure out if my startup can be structured to more easily achieve that goal.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.