The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A question on VPS, IPs and Locations

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
I have a question for those that may be more experienced than I in this matter.

I recently purchased (rented out) a virtual private server to run some of my automated tasks (24/7). This was for a windows server and supposedly for the EAST COAST.

Now, I did an IP look up and I'm getting 2 different answers from what I could find. One in the UK and one in or near amsterdam. This is obviously NOT the east coast.

Down to my point: I emailed support asking for clarification and this was the response:

"We had a couple VPS like this. According to our host company it's just showing that until the geo-IPs propogate. Lets give it til tomorrow then if it's still showing that we'll get it fixed."

(let me fill you in: 1) it's a reseller. 2) this is newly acquired hardware as his existing stock sold out)

Only because I'm a complete newb at this, I am coming here asking for further clarification.

What does this guy mean, and is this a legit thing? I don't want my server to be placed 'across the pond' when I went into this thinking that I am getting one on the east coast. I just want to know if I may be being mis-led.

Much appreciation in advance

Oh and Hi fastlaners, it's been awhile, but I've been pretty engrossed in developing my business. Much luck to you all!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Just give it time, and see if it does fix itself first. Keep in mind though that location by IP isn't really too accurate. Heck, a quick search for a couple online had one showing me in Kansas, and the other in New York (which is correct, but wrong city).

Quick Question - Let's say it is in the UK. Does it really matter that much? Certainly, you wouldn't want to keep dealing with this company considering they lie about services (again, not saying this is the case, but if it was!), but why can't it be in the UK?

I ask because with internet speeds ever increasing I cannot see too much downside especially for something like automated tasks. Obviously it's nice to have a server located closer to areas which something like a website needing to constantly send info, but not really for automated tasks.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
I absolutely agree with you on the location not being too important here. I just want to be sure I understand how this works. It doesn't make any sense to me how it could show up in EU one day and then in the US the next. I also want to make sure the service I am getting is honest.

I may go to some VPS forums and ask and if I find an answer I'll post here. If this service provider proves to be legit, I'll recommend them here. I've shopped around for VPS and this is the cheapest (by far) that I've found and I have zero complaints (except for 1 hour of downtime the other day). Runs my programs very smoothly and with a higher 'success rate' than running on my own machine or a virtual machine.

After some time, I'll make a post about some of the automated programs I am using. These help me build backlinks by the masses. Great stuff, and extremely cost effective. Just yesterday I cracked the top 10 for a certain keyword I've been targeting and saw over 500 UVs. I expect this to change, however. If it's one thing I've learned, you can expect google to dance with your site for awhile.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
So the ip lookup shows it is in the UK? Try running a traceroute 1.2.3.4 (replace this with the IP) through shell and see if it hops over to the UK. or shoot me an email and I'll check it out for you. The only thing i could think if the entry was cached on a lookup site that it was a UK IP but that shouldn't take long to update.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Most hosting companies are not really hosting companies, but just resellers or affiliates. They might not even know where the actual boxes are located.

I'd be interested in knowing what company this is though, as I'd like to setup a windows box for remote work like you are doing, and it sounds like you've found a good deal.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Most hosting companies are not really hosting companies, but just resellers or affiliates. They might not even know where the actual boxes are located.

I'd be interested in knowing what company this is though, as I'd like to setup a windows box for remote work like you are doing, and it sounds like you've found a good deal.

Why the interest in specifically Windows?

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Why the interest in specifically Windows?

because a windows server can run applications that run on my home computer.

Therefore I can get run automated scripts and not tie up my home computer, and also I can install apps that I want employees to be able to use and just let them log in and use them without having to buy a license for every person that uses them.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Ahh, ok thanks!

Was just curious, because pretty soon I'll be needing to incorporate automated scripts for my website. So when the opportunity arises I ask. With very limited research atm it's looking like Cron is the most likely thing to use.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Ahh, ok thanks!

Was just curious, because pretty soon I'll be needing to incorporate automated scripts for my website. So when the opportunity arises I ask. With very limited research atm it's looking like Cron is the most likely thing to use.

Are the scripts in PHP or in a windows automation program? If they are php you have no ned for a windows box. just set them up to be runable on a cron job and let the programming do your work for you.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Yeah, they'll PHP scripts, just simple tasks like removing accounts that signed up, but never activated it after a week (or whatever).

Now this leads me to another question. What sort of tasks would you automate on windows? I'm assuming it's not tasks like I'd be using the PHP scripts for.

Sorry for the thread hijack. haha

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
No problem Icy, I like this discussion.

I am using winautomation and a few other tools (sick submitter, and very soon, scrapebox). I also plan on installing market samurai and/or micro niche finder so that I can build a winautomation job that will auto-magically do keyword research for me (look at top 10 results for each keyword, get PR, get a backlink list for each one etc etc). Before that, I am building a job that will tie in my sick submitter and scrapebox routines so that I can truly wake up in the morning, hit a button and build thousands of backlinks for any sites that I want and have 10's of thousands of links harvested from the search engines.

In short. Winautomation kicks major a$$.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
Yea, I just whois [ip] in google (I'm not that good at this stuff so I took the simple route) and I got 2 different 'results'. One for amsterdam and one for the UK.

So, should I be peeved that this is west coast when I ordered an east coast VPS?

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
So the service that I am using is here: http://hiderefer.com/?https://www.websiteserviceplus.com/

Other than 1 hour of downtime the other day and this bit of mis-communication, I am happy with the performance. Anyway, the plans are incredibly cheap compared to all the other VPS I've found. I have the tier 5 plan for windows east, er, west coast. With this I've been able to use my submitter program with very few failed results (compared to when running on my virtual machine).

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
throw the IP address in here

http://ip-address.domaintools.com/

But your working with a re-seller, i wouldnt expect much. Find out if you can, who he is reselling through. you can usually do this a number of ways. If you want to PM me the IP i can tell you a few things about it. I personally wouldn't work with a re-seller. 1 hour of downtime is far too much for me.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Looks like his website IP resolves to SingleHop.com, although his DNS is hosted at justhost.com. Not sure why he would use DNS from another provider but the IP is registered to SingleHop. he might be third teir. The other big throw off is his company website is masked, all the who is information is masked my privacy protection. Kind of odd for a legit company?

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
Yes 1 hour of downtime can cost a lot of money especially when it isn't caught right away. I pretty much agree with you but for the moment this is a great alternative as its cheap as hell (I have a coupon code to get 10% off) and will be a great testing grounds to get my winauto jobs built and ready to be transferred to a higher quality VPS.

His host is thrustvps AFAIK.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
No problem Icy, I like this discussion.

I am using winautomation and a few other tools (sick submitter, and very soon, scrapebox). I also plan on installing market samurai and/or micro niche finder so that I can build a winautomation job that will auto-magically do keyword research for me (look at top 10 results for each keyword, get PR, get a backlink list for each one etc etc). Before that, I am building a job that will tie in my sick submitter and scrapebox routines so that I can truly wake up in the morning, hit a button and build thousands of backlinks for any sites that I want and have 10's of thousands of links harvested from the search engines.

In short. Winautomation kicks major a$$.

Oh, wow, that's very cool - Good thing I asked.

I appreciate it man!

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
Ok, just to report on the quality of the VPS. Been with him for awhile now and have now upgraded 2 tiers, to a 2gb system running windows server 2008. Very happy with this service, ESPECIALLY for the price.

https://www.websiteserviceplus.com (non-aff link)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Depending on the price, another option for you is to eventually upgrade to a dedicated server and run vmware esxi on it. That way you can run multiple instances of windows on the machines and have multiple machines running at once for the same price of the dedicated server.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.