The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Question for Diane K.

palazzi

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 27, 2008
I'm buying an investment property, and the lender is offering me the following options:

1) 10% downpayment with PMI.

2) 10% downpayment with 2 fix loans, so I don't have to pay PMI.

Question: Is the PMI tax deductible?

Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
Like my wife always asks me......
"why do you want to spend $100 to hope to save $30?" Take the 2 loan route, PMI is a waste and you'll need to appreciate past 80/20 LTV (and prove it via appraisal) to lift it (more $$)
Take the loans and refi some day if thats what makes sense. Of course you didn't tell us the terms of these two loans but..........

Corrado79

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 24, 2007
Santa Monica, CA
Like my wife always asks me......
"why do you want to spend $100 to hope to save $30?" Take the 2 loan route, PMI is a waste and you'll need to appreciate past 80/20 LTV (and prove it via appraisal) to lift it (more $$)
Take the loans and refi some day if thats what makes sense. Of course you didn't tell us the terms of these two loans but..........

Good advice, I would just point out one thing. If you go the PMI route, you only need an appraisal (once the LTV reaches 80/20) to remove the PMI. But if you go the 2 loan route, you will need to refinance to remove the 2nd loan. That is much more costly than an appraisal.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
This is an old post, and probably not relevent to this individual anymore, but in a situation like this - - - you would also want to look at interest rates.

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
Good advice, I would just point out one thing. If you go the PMI route, you only need an appraisal (once the LTV reaches 80/20) to remove the PMI. But if you go the 2 loan route, you will need to refinance to remove the 2nd loan. That is much more costly than an appraisal.

Typically I'd say fair enough :) but in todays RE perfect storm, I wouldn't think that "appreciation" will happen (any time soon) to the point the 80/20 eliminates the PMI. Also the monthly money spent on PMI would probably pay for the closing costs of refi'g down the road (doesn't PMI still require 2 years before it can be waived?)

What it comes down to, is working out the monies to see which way is the best bang for the buck (calculating payments, rates, time frames etc...)

I realize this thread sort of died, but maybe someone else could gain from it?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.