The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A New Beginning

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I’m sitting in front of my PC at 2 AM, surfing the web. I’ve been in this same room since noon when I woke up. I actually had classes today from 8-5, but didn’t feel like going because of a little headache. Didn’t go grocery shopping, didn’t read my book, didn’t go to the gym and I didn’t even practice playing the drums. Basically this was a completely useless day, and I’ve had many in the past few months.

Think about that. This day could’ve been erased out of my life and I wouldn’t have lost ANYTHING.

I’m so F*cking sick and tired of this. Every day I think about becoming an entrepreneur and hitting it big, I binge-watch the Shark Tank to ‘get some ideas for my next business’, at least that’s what I tell myself. Just gotta wait for that million dollar idea and then I’ll make millions, right? Meanwhile I’m falling behind with school, I don’t study because ‘I won’t need that degree anyway once I got my business up and running’. Meanwhile I’m too lazy to even go grocery-shopping.

But every day I come home from university I fall back into my lazy self. It’s like some sort of magic force holding me back from the outside world, feeding me with instant gratification as I sit here playing games and browsing and masturbating and reading all this useless shit on Reddit and watching all this crap on Youtube. Once every blue moon I go to the gym or maybe get around to reading a book, and then I pat myself on the back as if I were some sort of genius for the rest of the day.

But not tomorrow. No, not tomorrow. I will write a list of things to do for tomorrow and I will cross out every item on that list for the first time in my life. 18 years of my life, that’s 1/5 already gone and I have some mediocre school grades and some basic skills to show for it.

I always start making these huge resolutions if it’s after midnight, but when I wake up in the morning I’m back to my old self, doing jack shit all day. But if I learned anything from reading all these posts, it’s that you don’t become successful overnight. It will take a long time to get rid of all these time-wasters, these leeches, and even longer before I can start thinking about becoming an entrepreneur.

I don’t know what it will take for me to get out of this trainwreck. But I will start logging my progress (if I have any) on this forum as some sort of diary. And if, by some unknown reason, someone is reading this, feel free to tear me a new one if I don’t continue these posts regularly.

So I guess we will see tomorrow if I’m still here. Wish me luck on what will hopefully be a new start for me.

-Piranha

P.S.: I hope this was at least a little coherent. Hopefully these posts will get better grammatically and stylistically as I go on with my journey.

Warning: Negative beliefs, Negative Self-talk, Negative Attitude, Negative Perspective

Solution: Turn your video games off, the television, or what ever else distracts you. No one can discipline you, but yourself. You can write a list, and when you write the list, what do you suppose you should do afterwards?

1. Learn to positive self-talk
2. Stop thinking and take action: Do something. Making lists will point out what you need to take action on, but physically moving yourself is impossible unless you get out of your comfort zone and move.
3. It will take you actually moving your body and doing something to get you out of your train wreck, like working on your attitude, beliefs, thinking patterns, and moving. Applying what you learn. Doing Jack Shit All Day, is a personal choice. Believe it or not, you're the only person driving your body.
4. There is no magical force, it's you doing or not doing something. No magic to it.
5. I can give you a rabbit foot key chain, do you really think it will give you luck? There is no luck, it's you moving and doing. I would say you make some excuse for not doing something different. I have better things to do like have fun.
6. Every once in a blue moon, sounds like you're not to interested in doing anything, but what you're doing. Sitting around having fun. You're not serious about being an Entrepreneur. You're not serious about your life.
7. Entrepreneurs don't thrive on instant gratification. Another sign you want a quick fix, easy path, and do nothing.
8. I don't/I won't sounds like you don't and won't do what is necessary to be an entrepreneur and success in life.
I suppose if you look at your key words here, it points to "I"m not that serious".

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

ReadyForSucess

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Oct 22, 2015
This strategy has helped me overcome the laziness associated with being at home.

Step 1. Wake up at the same time everyday (preferably early like 6am).
Step 2. Do morning meditation, visualization, preparation, etc.
Step 3. Bring everything you need to university (gym clothing, food, laptop, power cord, etc.).
Step 4. Stay at the university as long as necessary to accomplish your daily tasks.
Step 5. Go home so that you only have at max 2 hours left before you have to go to sleep. (which you should go to bed around 9-10pm if you are waking up at 6am)
Optional Step 6. Take something to help you sleep like melatonin, or l-theanine.

I realized you had your revelation out of frustration over a week ago, but if you haven't so far been able to force yourself to be productive during the day, I would suggest you give this method a chance.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
A Poem - The Victor by: C. W. Longenecker If you think you are beaten, you are. If you think you dare not, you don't. If you like to win but think you can't, It's almost a cinch you won't. If you think you'll lose, you're lost. For out in the world we find Success begins with a fellow's will. It's all in the state of mind. If you think you are out classed, you are. You've got to think high to rise. You've got to be sure of your-self before You can ever win the prize. Life's battles don't always go To the stronger or faster man. But sooner or later, the man who wins Is the man who thinks he can.

NickS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 23, 2015
Feels like I could've written the exact same OP myself. I consider myself very lucky I didn't pick a very hard subject in university so I can get by without too much schoolwork, but I completely recognize your laziness and procrastination problems.

I'm in my third year of university now, and only the first year I actually went to the classes. I noticed during the exams all I did was reading the textbooks, not my notes. So I figured it's useless to waste time on classes.

And I was right, I can get by just reading the textbooks. But it's more of a curse than a blessing. Now I don't feel the need to wake up early anymore, my days feel really empty, and besides the gym I have no reason to actually leave my room.

I would say I'm an information junkie too, reading reading reading reading, watching youtube videos...

But I've made some very big changes as of late, the first one being - waking up at 5 AM. If you do this, I guarantee, you will have a much more productive day. I don't know why, but it just works. Try it.

Second thing I do is hit the gym, and afterwards I work on some online ventures with hopes of making some money. I still don't go to class but I've made it a point to read one chapter of one textbook every day.

Start with baby steps, too. Don't try to go all 360 on your current lifestyle. One thing at a time.

Piranha22

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 26, 2015
Koblenz, Germany
Getting rid of the Leeches
(Don't know if this is the right thread btw)

Ranting/Rambling ahead…

I’m sitting in front of my PC at 2 AM, surfing the web. I’ve been in this same room since noon when I woke up. I actually had classes today from 8-5, but didn’t feel like going because of a little headache. Didn’t go grocery shopping, didn’t read my book, didn’t go to the gym and I didn’t even practice playing the drums. Basically this was a completely useless day, and I’ve had many in the past few months.

Think about that. This day could’ve been erased out of my life and I wouldn’t have lost ANYTHING.

I’m so F*cking sick and tired of this. Every day I think about becoming an entrepreneur and hitting it big, I binge-watch the Shark Tank to ‘get some ideas for my next business’, at least that’s what I tell myself. Just gotta wait for that million dollar idea and then I’ll make millions, right? Meanwhile I’m falling behind with school, I don’t study because ‘I won’t need that degree anyway once I got my business up and running’. Meanwhile I’m too lazy to even go grocery-shopping.

But every day I come home from university I fall back into my lazy self. It’s like some sort of magic force holding me back from the outside world, feeding me with instant gratification as I sit here playing games and browsing and masturbating and reading all this useless shit on Reddit and watching all this crap on Youtube. Once every blue moon I go to the gym or maybe get around to reading a book, and then I pat myself on the back as if I were some sort of genius for the rest of the day.

But not tomorrow. No, not tomorrow. I will write a list of things to do for tomorrow and I will cross out every item on that list for the first time in my life. 18 years of my life, that’s 1/5 already gone and I have some mediocre school grades and some basic skills to show for it.

I always start making these huge resolutions if it’s after midnight, but when I wake up in the morning I’m back to my old self, doing jack shit all day. But if I learned anything from reading all these posts, it’s that you don’t become successful overnight. It will take a long time to get rid of all these time-wasters, these leeches, and even longer before I can start thinking about becoming an entrepreneur.

I don’t know what it will take for me to get out of this trainwreck. But I will start logging my progress (if I have any) on this forum as some sort of diary. And if, by some unknown reason, someone is reading this, feel free to tear me a new one if I don’t continue these posts regularly.

So I guess we will see tomorrow if I’m still here. Wish me luck on what will hopefully be a new start for me.

-Piranha

P.S.: I hope this was at least a little coherent. Hopefully these posts will get better grammatically and stylistically as I go on with my journey.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Last edited by a moderator:

Piranha22

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 26, 2015
Koblenz, Germany
Update 1:

Today I finally went and suggested the business idea I had to my university. Took me some guts to just knock on the door and 'pitch' my idea :D

For those interested, I read a while back about a guy from the UK that used the cafeteria trays for advertising and free publicity for the school (think this http://www.sq1sch.co.uk/mcdonalds/ic_vi_vital-ingredients-game/assets/images/tray.png). Sadly it wasn't doable here at my university because they have some sort of no-paper-policy, but I can now at least say I tried.

Piranha22

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 26, 2015
Koblenz, Germany
Update 2:

Right now I'm trying to build my first source of income. I thought that repairing phones could be a good way to build a moderate income in a few months, at least so much that I can afford the rent and become independent from my parents. I guess I could easily survive on 600€/month, so that should be attainable.
I already bought some tools on Amazon and a new dislay for my phone for experimenting, along with 2 used phones I found for a cheap price. Total cost: 50€, might want to buy some broken iPhones for experimenting since those probably will be most of the repairs.
Until I got that running I'll look around for a part-time job, just to keep some money flowing into my bank account every month.

Wish me luck...

Jenk Armada

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 1, 2015
Getting rid of the Leeches
Meanwhile I’m falling behind with school, I don’t study because ‘I won’t need that degree anyway once I got my business up and running’.
Educate yourself as much as you can, this attitude wont get you anywhere. Knowledge is power.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.