The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

a n00b needs help starting with consulting

Leoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Sep 9, 2012
Los Angeles/Tokyo
... otherwise, Vigilante, rein in your ego and step off...

Reminds me of something Rickson9 quoted in another thread. Rickson9 said Anias Nin said:

"We don't see things as they are. We see them as we are." - Anais Nin

I wonder who's the one with the ego here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Hi guys, I'm planning to start a consulting business based on advising people about the car buying process. Mainly the financial aspects to consider when they are deciding a price range to afford.

I'm completely new to the business world so I need a little help. What would I need to do to get started? Would i need any kind of special license other then a general business license?

Thanks guys!

Well this is a 1 to 1 trade of time for money. It is a job business. Now... If you write actual books about this (not cruddy scammy ebooks that everyone gives away for free) and got them in to B&N and Amazon + Kindle and Nook you would have millionaire potential. Not to mention, it will work for you the rest of your life.

2KidsinUT

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 2, 2012
Utah
I would be WAY more interested in your comments if I thought you might have even a 1% chance you know what you're talking about. People like you are dangerous, kid. Talk less, and listen more.
Reminds me of something Rickson9 quoted in another thread. Rickson9 said Anias Nin said: "We don't see things as they are. We see them as we are." - Anais Nin I wonder who's the one with the ego here.
Careful which bridges you go around burning there bud, I'd say that comment ^ is very hypocritical as well, where is your large product line and profitable business?

LOL... wow, I almost don't know where to begin responding. I didn't set out to burn any bridges. This thread was full of posts that blatantly ridicule an otherwise good business idea without any productive explanation or feedback. So I made a comment before responding to the OP. I don't mind when people tell me I'm wrong (that's one of the ways we all learn), as long as their criticism is supported by some knowledge, experience or facts. All I got was the rantings of some old guy who clearly knew nothing about the subject of his rant. So I replied. If that's what burns bridges around here, there's nothing I can say. For my part I just stated my position and took no offense... hell it's a single thread in a usually busy forum.

Without detailing resources at my disposal, I still stand behind my position that there are no licensing requirements to be a car buying consultant in any state in the US. Of course old guy and anyone else is welcome to show me I'm wrong. But in this instance, I'm confident that I'm not. Just a fundamental understanding of a) what a consultant is or generally does, b) the limitations on states legislative powers, and c) maybe a general understanding of business law and the regulatory environment is all anyone would need to reach a rational and logical conclusion that car buying consulting will not be regulated simply because that would unnecessarily encroach on the rights of the individual. You don't need to be an expert or a lawyer to know or understand this. States only regulate certain professions and occupations, generally to protect consummers. A car buying consultant is NOT one of those professions or occupations. And if in doubt, every state's laws can be easily searched on the internet.

2KidsinUT

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 2, 2012
Utah
Really!! All you have to offer is ridicule, sarcasm and BS? FYI, my sister and I are surrounded by people exactly as you described, every day (I'm sitting 3 feet away from one of them even as I write this). We grew up around most if not all of them at some point in our lives... and they are always available at our disposal (they are our biggest encouragement and supporters). But seriously, you wouldn't know this because you don't know us and of course you never asked. For you it was easier to put on a clown show for your following, and argue a topic that you basically knew absolutely nothing about.

I'm only 18, and I would be the first person to tell you that I am NOT some kind of expert with "vast experience", "incredible intelligence", "business savvy", and "obvious legal experience". My knowledge and skills are limited to my education and experience, which I have my whole life to grow. I also have the benefit of all the resources available to me including the decades of experience from the people that surround me. You are 42 and would have been presumed to have more education and experience, except that you demonstrated a lack of critical reading and thinking skills which you compensate for with sarcasm and BS.

On the topic of our discussion... it truly was a no brainer. It didn't require any specialized knowledge, formal training or legal experience. It only required common knowledge and understanding of the limitations on the powers of your own government. I did inquire from someone that would know (for which I received a useful lecture on), but anyone with doubts - including you - could have done a quick search of the facts on the internet. If that wasn't important enough to do or at least point out to the OP, then you should of restrained yourself or just found a more tactful way to question me on my position. As for the OP leaving, although I don't know why, I really can't see any reason why he would've felt welcomed to stick around... can you?

Nuf said... moving on. Catch you in the next thread.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Cage match

cage match

two men go in one comes out!

Two men go in one comes out!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
lol patrick

I will let the kids have the win. I have dragons to slay.

Leoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Sep 9, 2012
Los Angeles/Tokyo

There are actually TWO kids in UT, so it's three men entering, but I'll still put my money on Vig coming out since he was already conducting business when the 2 kids were still swimming in their father's nutsack.

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
Quote Originally Posted by PatrickP View Post
There are actually TWO kids in UT, so it's three men entering, but I'll still put my money on Vig coming out since he was already conducting business when the 2 kids were still swimming in their father's nutsack.

Do you guys sniff an entreprenuerial opportunity. We could joint venture this, hire a venue and sell tickets!

All jokes aside I find it strange when a poster asks a question then disappears. It looks like they never even read a reply.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Do you guys sniff an entreprenuerial opportunity. We could joint venture this, hire a venue and sell tickets!

All jokes aside I find it strange when a poster asks a question then disappears. It looks like they never even read a reply.

Every time I read your posts I get hungry for cookies and hot chocolate. Why is that?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.