The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

a lesson about control from my 9-5

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I work in Software sales as an SDR, I essentially build pipeline through outbound activity (cold calling). A couple weeks ago they changed our commission structure so that deals that don't close by the 30th won't yield commission. And our sales cycle is around 5 to 6 months. Needless to say, I lost about 40k after busting my a$$ building millions of dollars in pipeline.

Not quite a FTE, but i'm getting there :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
That makes less than no sense and is just going to promote disorganization, lying, etc. How are they tracking the pipeline, through a CRM? Just going to have people not put leads in the CRM until they're ready to close. That's not shooting yourself in the foot, that's swan diving in the woodchipper

That's grounds for looking for a new job while on the clock and you shouldn't feel bad about doing it.

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019
That makes less than no sense and is just going to promote disorganization, lying, etc. How are they tracking the pipeline, through a CRM? Just going to have people not put leads in the CRM until they're ready to close. That's not shooting yourself in the foot, that's swan diving in the woodchipper

That's grounds for looking for a new job while on the clock and you shouldn't feel bad about doing it.

Maybe I didn't describe it well enough. August 30th is the cutoff date. After that no commission and the new comp plan is instated based on a fixed bonus instead of commission.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Maybe I didn't describe it well enough. August 30th is the cutoff date. After that no commission and the new comp plan is instated based on a fixed bonus instead of commission.
Even more reason to look for a new job unless they're actually paying an equivalent to what you would have earned prior to the commission change.

The whole reason to be in sales is to reap what you sow. Put in a lot of effort, get paid a lot. Hammer the phone. All those cliches.

I'm guessing it's a shared bonus amongst every SDR? So you have guys doing enough to stay off higher's radar getting paid the same as top-performing SDRs?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019
Even more reason to look for a new job unless they're actually paying an equivalent to what you would have earned prior to the commission change.

The whole reason to be in sales is to reap what you sow. Put in a lot of effort, get paid a lot. Hammer the phone. All those cliches.

I'm guessing it's a shared bonus amongst every SDR? So you have guys doing enough to stay off higher's radar getting paid the same as top-performing SDRs?

Not shared fortunately. It wouldn't be a bad plan if I had started out on it, just got screwed by the commission cut-off. The bonuses are pretty competitive. I'll probably get promoted to a closing roll shortly anyways and can figure things out from there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.