The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Hustler's Guide to the Fastlane - by Michael Grey.

G

GuestUser140

Realize this is old, but a good read nevertheless and congrats.

Are you still using myibidder or found a better one?

I always thought about reselling on ebay some of the stuff from craigs, but never the other way around.

-Early Riser

There are plenty of eBay snipers out there, most work fine I guess. After a while though, I simplified the buying side and bought wholesale. Remember that reality is negotiable, so are wholesale prices.

eBay and CL work in both ways, it's up to you to find price differences and remarket (photos, description).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

adamhenry

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jul 2, 2014
Here's my summary of this thread. @MichaelGrey or someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Step 1: buy x on ebay and resell on craigslist, where x is an electronics item with a price point around $300, and profit per sale is about $60
Step 2: find a wholesaler for used (maybe refurbished?) x, and start buying in large quantities to sell on craigslist, also start selling multiples at a discount

Also in there somewhere is buying inexpensive add ons via aliexpress to increase resale value.

Let me know if this is right!

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Here's my summary of this thread. @MichaelGrey or someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Step 1: buy x on ebay and resell on craigslist, where x is an electronics item with a price point around $300, and profit per sale is about $60
Step 2: find a wholesaler for used (maybe refurbished?) x, and start buying in large quantities to sell on craigslist, also start selling multiples at a discount

Also in there somewhere is buying inexpensive add ons via aliexpress to increase resale value.

Let me know if this is right!

I find it easier to buy on CL and then relist on CL in a different market or amazon/ebay. I have much smaller CL market, however. Ebay/Amazon you are exposed to the world, various income levels, different expectations of pricepoints, etc. Exposure is just so different.

2nd part is basically what I gather as well, but haven't practiced. A lot easier buying one big bulk set of something that go hunt through Goodwills, reply to ads, drive to inspect goods, so forth.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
How would YOU scale Craigslist selling?

How would YOU divorce it from your time, even if only partly?
Hey dude, just a thought - you should go eCommerce first.

Most people don't look at eCommerce as a viable channel for LOCAL business, but this would allow you to keep your overhead low while consolidating a your business into a "space" for people to find you.

You could start driving customers to your site. Even local PPC is cheaper, as are FB ads.

I think local eCommerce business is a big opportunity, and perhaps the future for many businesses.

Ahrens

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
331%
Jan 8, 2015
Europe
Hi Michael,

After reading TMF , and Ryan’s topic I found yours. I got inspired by your story and how you accomplished the extreme growth in a relatively short amount of time. After reading your story, I started immediately with 1000 cash. I bought 4 iphone’s (4s) for 80 and resold them for 135. I also bought and sold 4 ipad’s for a total of 250 profit. So I made 470 profit. (All of the buying and selling was within 1 week).

The second week I was even more determined, but only mad about 250 profit. I’m searching the whole day, lowballing everyone, but I can’t seem to make more deals. I live in Holland/The Netherlands and the people here are different. Maybe you’ve heard the famous expression “kijken, kijken niet kopen”. Which means looking, looking, but not buying. Because the people here want a very high price selling and a very low price buying. So they have very frugal lifestyle’s.

I was thinking that I could make it profitable if I could buy electronics wholesale, or in larger quantities. You made it work by buying wholesale, so I’m trying the same. Do you’ve got any tips on how I can arrange this? Here in Holland there aren’t any wholesale company’s like in the US.

Maybe you could create a bigger SCALE by making a website and selling your electronics online. Not nationwide, but whole Europe. (because nations are often to small here in EU). The business will be exclusive of your TIME because like MJ said computer systems work 24 hours a day and don’t complain about bad breath Joe. You only have to arrange a dropship model with your existing suppliers. Eventually you’ll have a lot of views on your site and sales. And you can sell the site (SELLABLE BUSINESS)

I read your post about trouble with languages. I think I can be of service. You also live in Europe right? I fluently speak Dutch, German, French (almost fluently) and English. So I can really help you with that, if you want.

Thanks in advance and a lot of selfmade luck,

Ahrens

G

GuestUser140

Because the people here want a very high price selling and a very low price buying. So they have very frugal lifestyle’s.
I've heard that about the Dutch, yes :hurray:. Being frugal is not a bad thing, depends on how you look at it. A frugal customer is more likely to buy from you than to buy new.

Maybe you could create a bigger SCALE by making a website and selling your electronics online. Not nationwide, but whole Europe. (because nations are often to small here in EU). The business will be exclusive of your TIME because like MJ said computer systems work 24 hours a day and don’t complain about bad breath Joe. You only have to arrange a dropship model with your existing suppliers. Eventually you’ll have a lot of views on your site and sales. And you can sell the site (SELLABLE BUSINESS)

Which is what I've been doing for a while now. Read: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...nths-later-you-might-want-to-read-this.55438/

Nations as you say are pretty small. Thing is: Germany, the UK and France are already really competitive and saturated, their ecommerce markets are very mature. We've just opened a first local brick and mortar store which is doing really well, and have plans for more, but I'd like to sell to Scandinavia, the Baltics, Poland, ... down the line.

I'd rather be a big fish in small pond than a small fish in a big pond. Somehow it's easier to saturate a 5-10M people market with your business, brand and products, than to gain traction in 70-80M market.
For example, nearly every small convenience store, night shop, bakery in a 10mi radius ... will soon have a bunch of flyers of our business lying there for costumers to take. If people think "xxxxx", they gotta know we exist and have to spontaneously think of ordering from us. Try doing that in the UK.
10mi radius might be small in US terms, but in our densely populated country it's not.

Cool name by the way - if it's your name.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahrens

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
331%
Jan 8, 2015
Europe
Yes, you could look at it that way also. Every downside has its upside.

I’ve read it. Congrats with your success so far! I’m sure that because of the fact that you look at it at a different way “by helping 1000 people” like you do. You will reach your ultimate goal even faster. And that it will also be more fulfilling.

Nations are almost too small. And like you said, it’s very hard to compete in Germany, the UK and France. Have you thought about selling in Holland aswell? If so I can help you with customer communication, translating your website etc. You deliver a lot of value, so giving back is the least I can do.

Maybe you could incorporate a FAQ on your site in different languages like Polish to reduce the amount of communication needed. (Because your knowledge of the language is insufficient).

That’s very nice with the flyers. Because people also will get to know your company by offline marketing and not only online.

I’m also working harder and making more deals. And I’m experiencing a limit of how much deals I can make in a day. Like MJ and a lot of other fastlaners experience the limit of the 24 hr/ a day. So I want to speed up the process by buying wholesale. You said to not look too far for wholesalers. And said: “I’m going to let you think first, then give the answer. Who is currently retailing them online, used? Where?” I can’t fully understand what you mean. Can you explain it further?

Thanks! Yes it’s my last name. It’s a German name actually.

Thanks in advance,

Ahrens

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.