The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Hustler's Guide To Buying And Selling Anything (Part 1)

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Results: Bumped it from 235 to 250 and got 0 offers, but got full amount sale in a couple hours :D.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Great thread !

eBay will send a message to people who were watching that it has been relisted and the lower price usually convinces one of them to jump on it.
Another great tip I didn't know...thanks ! ;)

Something that helped me a LOT...someone..I forget who..suggested not to worry about margins as long as your bank is increasing. It is. :D

I've been buying stuff and selling it on Ebay for a couple months. It's a process for sure. A lot of researching and experimenting with price, sell type, titles, pictures, best and cheapest shipping, etc.

Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to me as to why something does or doesn't sell. :confused: That bothers me because I feel I should know the answers in order to get better.

I was afraid to list as "Auction" until this week. When I did, the one item that I just couldn't seem to sell, sold at a higher price than when I had listed it before as a "Buy Now" w/Best Offer.

Currently, everything I make on Ebay goes right back into buying more stuff ( and gas to get to places to buy that stuff ).

I also found a Salvation Army store 30 min drive from me that is golden. On the edge of a wealthy area ( think 15,000 sq ft homes on a lake).

Thanks again for the great thread.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Hey Adam, I joined the group. That guy who created posts non stop replies Lol.

What have been the results of flippers saying to a buyer that you just flipped the product or are a reseller of electronics? What about saying you are like an electronics pawn store? Kind of hate lying to people, even though they don't ask always. Get the dreaded, why r u selling question. If u do say you flip em, do u just say you thoroughly test the electronics and they play excellent (telling the truth obv)? Or do u just say upfront "never play, collects dust, etc)?

Really hate when ppl waste my damn time. Makes this boring and stupid. Met up with guy for ps4 and game in case, plus one on drive. Told him before we met he couldn't reset console or he would lose game on drive. This was the white ps4 destiny bundle, but destiny game was sold when I bought from previous seller. Anyhow, agree on 400. He shows up, is interested...then says he wants the destiny game, and he will buy it all. I say my friend might have it and I would sell all for 425 (made up on spot, but was meeting up later for another ps4 that had this game in a bundle)..that guy hadn't confirmed meet up time yet. Anyhow, says that is game he really wants and to text him if I can get. I felt like I overpaid for this bundle for 340, and it had been over a week...so I kind of panicked. After he left I said 385 without destiny and he could buy own. We settled on 380. I was annoyed as piss, and stuck around 15 mi from home for another hr cuz he said son was sleeping. Met him later and sold. I then met up with another guy for ps4 and 4 games for 300. Will sell separately for 400-455, or in bundle for 400-425. I didn't give the dick satisfaction of getting the destiny game from me, so I didn't let him know I got it.

Need to grow balls to just instantly leave if someone tries to renegotiate on site when we already agreed to price. The dick who did met up later and then said he had to jet to ATM...so he wasn't even going to buy on first go round. Lessons learned: not to overpay so u get desperate to sell, plan more efficiently on meetups, and not give into peer pressure.

Tonight I met up with guy for ps3, 6 games and a sweet little 22" HD tv for $90 lolol. Love finding these deals

adamhenry

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jul 2, 2014
What have been the results of flippers saying to a buyer that you just flipped the product or are a reseller of electronics? What about saying you are like an electronics pawn store? Kind of hate lying to people, even though they don't ask always. Get the dreaded, why r u selling question.

When I first started flipping, I came across this: http://recraigslist.com/2013/01/how-i-handle-awkward-situations/

Now I tell every seller that I'm a flipper, and every buyer that I'm a flipper.

I don't call myself a flipper though. I just say, "Yeah, I buy and sell bikes, fix 'em up, that sort of thing".

If it's electronics I'd say "I buy and sell, collect, play them myself".

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
I just need to rant....sorry for this.

Bought a ps3 for a good price, one of the fat ones...had a small chip in corner of unit, and 2 controllers had some bite marks on it. Fully described this in my CL ad WITH PICTURES. Lower income dude calls me up and says I want this asap for my son's b-day...some bitch didn't show up for her tv, so I had to rush 15 miles to meet him with this ps3. He bought it, I even pointed out some of the flaws when I handed it to him. I said "It for sure works...call me if you have issues with it." So naturally, the ding dong doesn't have hdmi plug on his tv...calls me up saying that isn't the right cord. I say, ok cool....go to store and tell them what you need and pick it up. 2 hours go by, he calls me up again and wants to return it because his chica is flipping out that he bought it and it has cosmetic flaws and "doesn't work" because no cord works with it. They want full refund or me to buy a cord. I tell them, "Yo, it's a lot easier for you to go to store to buy the $5-10 cord you need than for me to drive 20 min each way, buy the cord, just for you to give me the hdmi back of greater value." Well, they can't comprehend this. Basically, he made an irrational purchase without inspection/reading ad, and his chick is pissed cuz it can't work RIGHT NOW and there's cosmetic flaws...when they have a little kid who will break the shit anyway.

They just said they sold a ps3 for $80 too....that makes sense? rofl. I told them, "When you buy stuff on craigslist, you need to be sure of what you are buying. It's not the seller's problem you don't know what you need for the unit, or didn't inspect the unit. I'd be glad to help with the cord somehow, but it doesn't make any logical sense for you to wait a full day for me to help with a cord when you could go buy one...especially if you're going to give me a cord that costs more."

I don't even know why I bother answering the phone or messing with that. It's fking CL. My shit worked when tested, it shouldn't be my problem. The guy mentioned being in prison yada yada doesn't know about game systems or whatever. I guess I should just quit this junk because there are college kids, army dudes who shouldn't be blowing the money (in this demographic, it's not the rich military people), and just an overall lower demographic. Anyone with money doesn't really buy off CL around here.

/rant. Thoughts? leave it be? For the sake of karma and my life (if he somehow knew how to find my address and junk with a phone number) get him a cord? Stop answering? Refund the unit and sell to someone else?

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Read the thread

First flip ( or lack there of ): Bought an iphone 5c 16gb perfect condition for 140. Seller had the ad for 150

Immediately put he phone for sale on CL and Ebay, Tried to sell it for 240, the others on CL were 250+

Tons of scammers contacted me. Over 15 people flaked on me.

Finally sold it today for 150 after having the phone for over 2 weeks, was getting concerned I wasn't going to be able to sell it. Buying the phone took all the cash I had.

Between the gas and time traveled to buy and sell it, I lost about 20 bucks. Learned a few lessons.

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Read the thread

First flip ( or lack there of ): Bought an iphone 5c 16gb perfect condition for 140. Seller had the ad for 150

Immediately put he phone for sale on CL and Ebay, Tried to sell it for 240, the others on CL were 250+

Tons of scammers contacted me. Over 15 people flaked on me.

Finally sold it today for 150 after having the phone for over 2 weeks, was getting concerned I wasn't going to be able to sell it. Buying the phone took all the cash I had.

Between the gas and time traveled to buy and sell it, I lost about 20 bucks. Learned a few lessons.

Sounds like a familiar situation I was in recently. Bought an item that was falsely advertised and ended up selling it at break even.

You should try pre-selling the item. It works and its 100% risk free.

1. Choose a product in any niche

rsz_craig1.png

2. Try to spot a a price difference in an item compared to the market value.
3. Head over to Amazon/Ebay to see if you can capitalize upon the imbalance.
rsz_amazon1.png
rsz_ebay1.png

4. Message the seller on CL and try to lowball the item down $10-40 from the listed price. If the price is already low, take it as is.
5. Before making the purchase, put up a CL ad of the same item where you saw a price difference. Take their picture or find one on Google for your ad. Reword their description. Price your item slightly lower than the market. Don't forget to utilized the "scarcity bias". It a secret trick that converted 100% of my sales.
rsz_postingcraig.png

6. If someone messages you wanting the buy the item, then you have officially presold the item without putting any money down! If nobody messages you, then nothing happens! Message back the seller and give an excuse to why you no longer want the product. If you got a message move to step 7. If not rinse and repeat step 1-6.
7. Go pickup the item from the seller.
8. Prep the item to maximize value and make customer happy!
9. Contact your buyer and meetup at a public location.
9. Complete the transaction for a net profit.
giphy.gif

Secrets out. My exact strategy. Step by step. 100% risk free. @MichaelGrey said "If you can sell one, you can sell 10. If you can sell 10, you can sell a hundred."

Last edited:

adamhenry

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jul 2, 2014
5. Before making the purchase, put up a CL ad of the same item .

You can also try this to test an item without having found one to purchase.

I find the easiest way is to find a Craigslist ad for an item in some other city - borrow their photo and ad, relist in your city at a price you want to test. Based on the responses, you'll have an idea how quickly the item would sell at that price.

Then you just need to go shopping to get the item at a price lower than you now know it will sell for. Lowball other ads as well as post wanted ads. Wanted ads do surprisingly well - I put the price I'm looking to pay in the ad, eg. "WANTED: Xbox 360 - $60".

Mamadoo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 12, 2014
Toronto
I live in Toronto so I use Kijiji often. I started a mini business buying and selling iPhone 5's which was pretty good. Id make anywhere from $40-80/phone.. I sold/bought around 8 until someone robbed me of one which put me in a bad mood and I started to think it was a little dangerous. I then used my remaining money to buy a macbook which I wish I hadnt done, I wish I used the money to make more. I learned my lesson, which is what its all about. Since I have no job I have about $150 saved up, Im trying to think of what to use that for.

Just my little story on hustling lol

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
The only bad thing about buying before you see it is you don't know the exact condition....or, I am assuming you have a seller that is very thorough on the condition. I've had people say a product is new, so I always have to ask if new as in never been opened, or is LIKE NEW; where they have actually used the product at least once. Makes a bit of a difference to another buyer. Also, I've found most people on CL don't really disclose things. They say, no real damage, or is in great shape, etc. I make sure I can resell a product for a decent amount, but I don't mind taking on smaller items that might take awhile to sell (like textbooks). Sometimes I get worried, but spending $50-100 to make $100 in a week or 2 isn't all that bad if you have some cushion still for buying other products. My buying has really slowed down, but I have sold off most of my inventory. I've been trying to buy PS3's less than $100 with games included (popular ones I can resell for $10-20 on Amazon alone). Picked up a ps3 (guy said 40gb when it was a slim model---they didn't make 40gb slims) for $90 w/ black ops II, Battlefield 4, and Tiger Woods 13 included, 2 controllers, and travel bag. Was basically like getting the PS3 for $60-70 alone, where I can resell for $100 quickly or $150 slowly. Love buying consoles with games where you can sell the console at or above what you paid for the bundle.

Also picked up a Beatbox for $85 where it is retailing for $400 in stores right now. Hopefully should double my money if I didn't live in such a wanker, non-buying market. Will be heavy to ship.

Made about $800 or so profits my first month flipping, wasting a few dollars on bad negotiations on the spot and still having some remaining inventory at the end of October. November has been a bit slow on the buying side, as being unemployed and flipping in my market kind of sucks. However, hearing that "cha-ching" sound from the Ebay App or waking up to the Amazon "YOUR ITEM HAS SOLD" email is hella addicting. I now see the value in buying cheap, lightweight items from somewhere (through importing or what have you), and just selling TONS!

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
I've been clogging up the other thread, so I'm going to start my own. In here, you will find tips, tactics, and strategies as well as my own personal successes and failures (akin to a diary, but far more interesting) in learning the game of 'hustling'.

For many people (and probably the origin of the word corroborates this), 'hustling' has a negative connotation. I don't live in the ghetto (okay..well I kind of do haha), but in my opinion hustling is an awesome and empowering word. To me it simply means that you can make money in almost anything you do. (provided legal)
Great Thread. As I bounce back and forth from commitment to slow-lane it's tough. I'm Inspired by your words Rich Kid.

Excalibur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 6, 2010
Nampa, ID
Wow- great margins. Let's see pics of that Dakota, should give everyone a good laugh. ;)

Do you need a dealer license where you live? My friend and I have a little experience with flipping cars, but god damn, it seems the biggest barrier to entry in doing it more often is the legality of the whole thing.

Can't get pic to upload. File is too large. Don't know how to fix that.

ETA. Let's try this.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...855152.-2207520000.1416113510.&type=3&theater

I'm allowed 5 vehicles per year. I looked into what it would take to do more, and for now it's not worth the headache. So 5 a year it is. Now this is per person, so I suppose if I wanted to get another person involved and do a split I could go that route. I also had the thought of finding a dealer to partner with. I find/fix vehicles and s/he sells them. That might be an idea for you.

Last edited:

Excalibur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Mar 6, 2010
Nampa, ID
@Excalibur your hustle sounds sick! fleet of yaris'(yari?) would sell pretty well on craigslist. decent resale value on those bad boys. I was looking to pick one up in the last year, couldn't find one at a nice price.

There were 4, that IIRC sold between $3,000 & $3,700, plus 16% premium and 6% sales tax. There might have been some money to be made, but I was partnering with my dad on this one, and that was too much risk for me. He sees what I do and wanted to try it.

Just got back from Colorado and sold the last of 8 concession trailers I bought back in July. Picked up in Denver and moved them an hour North to store at a relatives till I could sell. Took 3 buyers to get rid of them. Paid $957. Grossed $5,400. Netted $3,400. Ended up being quite a hassle. Not sure I would want to go through that again.

Now I'm sitting on a pizza oven, Groen steam kettle, 40' prison bus that I plan to market as a RV conversion project, step van, some other misc restaurant equip and other odds and ends.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
I live in Toronto so I use Kijiji often. I started a mini business buying and selling iPhone 5's which was pretty good. Id make anywhere from $40-80/phone.. I sold/bought around 8 until someone robbed me of one which put me in a bad mood and I started to think it was a little dangerous. I then used my remaining money to buy a macbook which I wish I hadnt done, I wish I used the money to make more. I learned my lesson, which is what its all about. Since I have no job I have about $150 saved up, Im trying to think of what to use that for.

Just my little story on hustling lol
howd u get robbed?

Geeko

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 19, 2014
Havent had time to read the whole thread yet but i will soon. This may have been adressed earlier but where are you listing the books you are selling?
Anyways the first few pages are excellent.

Sent from my fish using splash

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Sales keep me excited, but the work I am throwing into this is somewhat exhausting; although, fun at the same time. Like I've mentioned, I live 15 miles from the usual meetup location, and 30-40 min from anywhere else. I have only done that stuff once. The commute for the 15 mi each way at odd times when I just have to go pick up one thing or drop off one thing kinda sucks. I always look for multiple deals in one spot, but often it's hard in my market. I have a booming buyer's market 30-40 min away, which is where I'm going tomorrow for some consoles...but still kind of feels exhausting. Granted, I'm working 1/4th the time I would in a cubicle, but unless I take these skills somewhere on my own, this route isn't good for myself long term. I will have to look into other niches, like Excalibur. I am usually quite conservative in my deals, but it kind of sucks when you have to drive 30 min roundtrip to drop off a $30-40 game...granted, I'm making some profits from what I bought games for overall, and most of time I'm selling them through Amazon; butttt, yeah.

Also, since the buyer's market is 30-40 min away, sometimes I get shafted/sold out from under me when I tell them I will pick up the next day. Had a nice PS3 bundle for $140 where I told the ppl @ 7pm I'd be over tomorrow to pickup, unless roads were terrible (had snow); otherwise, they could plan on me being there. I woke up next morning and confirmed with the wife where to meet, and her husband said they found someone who would pay full price ($60 more). This is almost like being on-call at a job...sure, you can snag a deal, but unless you get the poster to delete the ad right away (which most forget or are too lazy to even do after the sale), it's kind of tough. My niche was Ps3s and other consoles, but I'm too worried about these being older to where they start going "kaput" and I feel bad having it die on a buyer in a few months.

Just thought I'd share experiences again. I've posted a decent amount in this thread, so I guess I could take them all to my own progress thread. I just don't know how long I will end up doing this, so I figured throw any info here and let ppl pick apart lessons learned if they go down this path. The real goldmine here is the big sets of inventory and just sitting at home packaging, like Econman (?) I think it was...either that or I need to load up a ton on inventory for a couple weeks straight and just start listing, waiting for it (inventory) to empty, then buying again.

EDIT: I'm going to some grungy a$$ places...not to mention, this niche has a lot of smokers. They want cash quickly however, but you pay the price. I don't feel unsafe, particularly, at these places, but it sure freaks you out a little if you have to go to someone's house (which I usually don't do).

G

GuestUser140

Sales keep me excited, but the work I am throwing into this is somewhat exhausting; although, fun at the same time. Like I've mentioned, I live 15 miles from the usual meetup location, and 30-40 min from anywhere else. I have only done that stuff once. The commute for the 15 mi each way at odd times when I just have to go pick up one thing or drop off one thing kinda sucks. I always look for multiple deals in one spot, but often it's hard in my market. I have a booming buyer's market 30-40 min away, which is where I'm going tomorrow for some consoles...but still kind of feels exhausting. Granted, I'm working 1/4th the time I would in a cubicle, but unless I take these skills somewhere on my own, this route isn't good for myself long term. I will have to look into other niches, like Excalibur. I am usually quite conservative in my deals, but it kind of sucks when you have to drive 30 min roundtrip to drop off a $30-40 game...granted, I'm making some profits from what I bought games for overall, and most of time I'm selling them through Amazon; butttt, yeah.

Also, since the buyer's market is 30-40 min away, sometimes I get shafted/sold out from under me when I tell them I will pick up the next day. Had a nice PS3 bundle for $140 where I told the ppl @ 7pm I'd be over tomorrow to pickup, unless roads were terrible (had snow); otherwise, they could plan on me being there. I woke up next morning and confirmed with the wife where to meet, and her husband said they found someone who would pay full price ($60 more). This is almost like being on-call at a job...sure, you can snag a deal, but unless you get the poster to delete the ad right away (which most forget or are too lazy to even do after the sale), it's kind of tough. My niche was Ps3s and other consoles, but I'm too worried about these being older to where they start going "kaput" and I feel bad having it die on a buyer in a few months.

Just thought I'd share experiences again. I've posted a decent amount in this thread, so I guess I could take them all to my own progress thread. I just don't know how long I will end up doing this, so I figured throw any info here and let ppl pick apart lessons learned if they go down this path. The real goldmine here is the big sets of inventory and just sitting at home packaging, like Econman (?) I think it was...either that or I need to load up a ton on inventory for a couple weeks straight and just start listing, waiting for it (inventory) to empty, then buying again.

EDIT: I'm going to some grungy a$$ places...not to mention, this niche has a lot of smokers. They want cash quickly however, but you pay the price. I don't feel unsafe, particularly, at these places, but it sure freaks you out a little if you have to go to someone's house (which I usually don't do).
Nice to see you taking action. The grungry a$$ places and 30 mile trips don't matter, you made the sale.

Now it's time to start valuing your time. Slowly but surely, streamline the buy and sell side. Aka, driving 30 miles for one sale won't work if you sell 100 pieces daily.

Your instinct about buying in volume is dead on. Simplify the buying side first.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
I have a big seller in my market...that 40 mi drive I take once in awhile to get stuff is his home territory...I see his stuff advertised on FB all the time. 40 mi from me is a military base, where there is tons of buying/selling of electronics. So, he pretty much has that corner of the market covered. His wife scouts FB for his Ebay store, puts his name on things of interest, then he goes and offers when he has time. Goes to flea markets, has ebay store etc. He offered me a lowball price on a 3DS I picked up, and I kind of got all defensive about my pricing, telling him a reseller of a reseller won't work, etc. He kind of responded with why my price I was asking wasn't really that fair to the market, amateur sellers being bad for everyone (setting prices too high vs store prices), and how he turned $1k into a side business worth over $12k without counting the revolving inventory. I was still a little defensive, but admitted I was nowhere near him, and explained my thoughts about my prices again.

A few hours later, a lightbulb/kick in the a$$ came about, and I said, "Why not use him as a learning opportunity instead of being a jackass?" So, I explained to him that I was an amateur and looking to build a business of some sort, and asked him for tips of what he does and how he goes about his business. Here I've read in all these books/forum posts not to let your ego get in the way and think you know everything. I thought I was hot shit since I was selling stuff for profits...but, there's always something to learn. So now, I have him divulging several tips with thorough explanations. Some is common sense, but some things I haven't really considered in my dealings. I told him I wouldn't invade his market space much, as I don't want to stay in the video game space for long; just doing this to keep me afloat until I can scale to something bigger, better, more profits. Will post them here if I remember after he is done explaining.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Supposedly there is a big return in flipping limited edition Jordan shoes and the like. I don't agree with the people saying they stood in line all night outside in the snow, but wondered if anyone else has tried this? I'm not going to do it, because this could be like waiting in line for 2 hrs for a free hamburger type of deal, but curious. I couldn't help but comment when one guy said he bought them for $205 and was selling for $240, stood in line overnight...awhat? Other resellers chimed in profits could be in the $300-400 range for a pair of shoes, but they don't know the scarcity/demand until after they buy the shoes or something.

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
Supposedly there is a big return in flipping limited edition Jordan shoes and the like. I don't agree with the people saying they stood in line all night outside in the snow, but wondered if anyone else has tried this? I'm not going to do it, because this could be like waiting in line for 2 hrs for a free hamburger type of deal, but curious. I couldn't help but comment when one guy said he bought them for $205 and was selling for $240, stood in line overnight...awhat? Other resellers chimed in profits could be in the $300-400 range for a pair of shoes, but they don't know the scarcity/demand until after they buy the shoes or something.

The rare jordans market gets more and more insane each day, however there are so many facets to this, that you ABSOLUTELY must know your shit. Right now, while we are posting on this board, there are 3 14 year olds arguing over the placement of an eyelet on a set of mk V jordans someone is selling. The barrier to entry in this field is knowledge, not so much cash on hand(a few hundred to start). I would avoid this niche on the simple fact that it could take years to know enough to have success. The counterfeit liability is very overwhelming. You are right to stay out of that gunfight. I have a few friends that are sneakerheads and have heard all the first hand horror stories.

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
Also, since the buyer's market is 30-40 min away, sometimes I get shafted/sold out from under me when I tell them I will pick up the next day. Had a nice PS3 bundle for $140 where I told the ppl @ 7pm I'd be over tomorrow to pickup, unless roads were terrible (had snow); otherwise, they could plan on me being there. I woke up next morning and confirmed with the wife where to meet, and her husband said they found someone who would pay full price ($60 more). This is almost like being on-call at a job...sure, you can snag a deal, but unless you get the poster to delete the ad right away (which most forget or are too lazy to even do after the sale), it's kind of tough.

I did some data gathering when I was flipping phones on craigslist pre-icloud lock. I had something like a 10% success rate if i made plans to buy the item the following day after contact. It completely sucks, but to make the purchases work, you gotta negotiate, then get in the car right away before they change their mind or get other offers. I've had countless times where I was 10 minutes from the seller's house and they text me to say that someone else is coming to offer them more money. A little trick I've since learned was to have them meet me somewhere that is halfway between our locations. That way, they have to get in the car, which means they have invested themselves into the transaction in some degree. Once someone has driven 15-20 minutes, they are more apt to have the deal go down.

joocenasty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 30, 2013
its hilarious how mad people get when you offer them a lower amount of money for whatever products they are selling, and they dont even give an offer back they just take it personal. Its hilarious in a way how attached people are emotionally to stupid shit

D

DeletedUser394

its hilarious how mad people get when you offer them a lower amount of money for whatever products they are selling, and they dont even give an offer back they just take it personal. Its hilarious in a way how attached people are emotionally to stupid shit

As a seller I get pissed off. Not because I'm attached to the items, but because there's no way I'm going to accept lowballs when I know the value of the product I'm selling.

If I offer something for 100 and someone offers me 30 (has happened before), I'm not coming down more than 10 and I know that the person is just going to go halfway. At that point it isn't even worth a counter.

As a buyer, that's what you have to do (lowball). People that have to sell ASAP will work with you on price, whilst people that don't need to sell (like me) will just laugh it off or get pissed off for having their time wasted.

Just part of the game.

joocenasty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 30, 2013
As a seller I get pissed off. Not because I'm attached to the items, but because there's no way I'm going to accept lowballs when I know the value of the product I'm selling.

If I offer something for 100 and someone offers me 30 (has happened before), I'm not coming down more than 10 and I know that the person is just going to go halfway. At that point it isn't even worth a counter.

As a buyer, that's what you have to do (lowball). People that have to sell ASAP will work with you on price, whilst people that don't need to sell (like me) will just laugh it off or get pissed off for having their time wasted.

Just part of the game.

Def understand haha, I made like 2.5k profit in 3 weeks(lucky deals i guess) in may before I skipped the country to Europe. I know I can do it again its just hard to start over at 80 again with no inventory. Frustrated today I guess. I just need the money for my business, and so I dont have to get a F*cking job lmao

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Def understand haha, I made like 2.5k profit in 3 weeks(lucky deals i guess) in may before I skipped the country to Europe. I know I can do it again its just hard to start over at 80 again with no inventory. Frustrated today I guess. I just need the money for my business, and so I dont have to get a F*cking job lmao

What items were you flipping? Also, I've noticed whatever price you list, someone will ALWAYS offer lower...ok, not always, but watching these Facebook groups of buy/sell/trade is epic. Someone throws up a number, it's insta "can you take this?" even if it's the most fair number ever. Learning you need to be competitive, but still set your price above what you want; because no one will ever just say "OK let's do it." The same works in reverse. Whenever as a buyer you throw out a number, it's like "can you do this instead?" which is X dollars higher. I can't believe the fact you're always offering just below what they wanted...but, it's negotations I guess. Guess you could list "Serious offers only, no lowballs," as that usually keeps me from offering on an ad myself.

Going off of the lowball offers....a chick posted "Asking $250 or open to any offers, as I need to sell asap" on an Ipad Mini 16gb 1st gen w/ a really nice case (on Amazon they were $75). Knowing I could sell the ipad for about 185 or so quickly online (minus $30-35 for shipping/fees), I threw out $125...kind of horrific, I know, but I expected to come up. She basically said GOD no, I am firm at $250...WTF? New in stores is $250 without the $70 case...and you're wanting to sell quickly at a firm price in a small market? I replied to her and said, "Usually when your ad says open to offers, you come back with a counteroffer...why put offers accepted if you are firm?" And then went on to say if y ou want to sell quickly, you usually price at a point where people who won't usually buy get the itch to actually go through with it....whatever. She'll probably hit me up tomorrow with my second offer like most people do.

Lastly, I think I made my first bad deal yesterday...I might be able to salvage it, but kind of disappointing. I'm all into PS3 bundles now, and bought a Fat 80gb PS3+7 older games of really minimal value+2 PS4 games of $60+ value for $130...I figured sell the games for $60 on PS4, and I have an easy $70 to cover with the PS3 at $110 value or something. I played it shortly and it was fine...get home and I notice some lines in the games...I think it's on its way out, so I don't want to sell for that much. But, who knows...I have it listed at $80 on CL with a lady looking Sunday and only $65 on Amazon listing the issues and that it might not last too long. Could be worse, I guess.

This flipping is going to be brutal as winter really starts to set in. I have envisions of spring, buying a crotch rocket and zipping around on these 40 mile trips with a backpack scooping up small deals...might get old, and might not make it until then, but yeah. [HASHTAG]#needsnewniche[/HASHTAG]

joocenasty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 30, 2013
What items were you flipping? Also, I've noticed whatever price you list, someone will ALWAYS offer lower...ok, not always, but watching these Facebook groups of buy/sell/trade is epic. Someone throws up a number, it's insta "can you take this?" even if it's the most fair number ever. Learning you need to be competitive, but still set your price above what you want; because no one will ever just say "OK let's do it." The same works in reverse. Whenever as a buyer you throw out a number, it's like "can you do this instead?" which is X dollars higher. I can't believe the fact you're always offering just below what they wanted...but, it's negotations I guess. Guess you could list "Serious offers only, no lowballs," as that usually keeps me from offering on an ad myself.

Going off of the lowball offers....a chick posted "Asking $250 or open to any offers, as I need to sell asap" on an Ipad Mini 16gb 1st gen w/ a really nice case (on Amazon they were $75). Knowing I could sell the ipad for about 185 or so quickly online (minus $30-35 for shipping/fees), I threw out $125...kind of horrific, I know, but I expected to come up. She basically said GOD no, I am firm at $250...WTF? New in stores is $250 without the $70 case...and you're wanting to sell quickly at a firm price in a small market? I replied to her and said, "Usually when your ad says open to offers, you come back with a counteroffer...why put offers accepted if you are firm?" And then went on to say if y ou want to sell quickly, you usually price at a point where people who won't usually buy get the itch to actually go through with it....whatever. She'll probably hit me up tomorrow with my second offer like most people do.

Lastly, I think I made my first bad deal yesterday...I might be able to salvage it, but kind of disappointing. I'm all into PS3 bundles now, and bought a Fat 80gb PS3+7 older games of really minimal value+2 PS4 games of $60+ value for $130...I figured sell the games for $60 on PS4, and I have an easy $70 to cover with the PS3 at $110 value or something. I played it shortly and it was fine...get home and I notice some lines in the games...I think it's on its way out, so I don't want to sell for that much. But, who knows...I have it listed at $80 on CL with a lady looking Sunday and only $65 on Amazon listing the issues and that it might not last too long. Could be worse, I guess.

This flipping is going to be brutal as winter really starts to set in. I have envisions of spring, buying a crotch rocket and zipping around on these 40 mile trips with a backpack scooping up small deals...might get old, and might not make it until then, but yeah. [HASHTAG]#needsnewniche[/HASHTAG]

The Big ones were Galaxy Note 3's, Iphone 4's and 4S' , couple iphone 5's, like 5 xbox ones and a good number of n64 games (specifically zelda games)

the thing with newer games is that even if they are new, you have to list them below the new price. People dont see a big enough value in buying from you when they could just buy from a retailer.

edit: if you come out even or lose 20 bucks you still came into it looking at a good risk to reward ratio.... keep doing that....

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.