The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A different path towards inventorship

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
Hello to all of you! My name is Oleksiy and I am not a classical person who always wanted to be an entrepreneur. To be honest, two months ago I did not even think about starting an own business. And yet, I have registered at this forum. I have not posted any introductory story of my own so far wondering whether it provides at least some value to you. But we will see.

I was born 1993 in Rivne, Ukraine. When I was a child, I was always interested in reading books on science and I dreamed of becoming an inventor. Especially, books for children on math looked interesting for me. Some of them provided knowledge on ancient history, for instance I enjoyed reading about Erathosthenes, who was interested in estimating the size of the Earth. Others looked like fantasy books where children could also discover some interesting properties about numbers. I found it fascinating when I read about what happens when 142857 is multiplied by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7; or what happens if you multiply 12345679 (no, the 8 is not missing) by 9. But my problem was that not so many people found math interesting. In fact, the majority of people I was talking to hated math and science as hell.

In 2003, I moved to Nuremberg, Germany together with my family. Our bags were quite heavy so we could not take any of my toys or games with us when moving. But at least we could take all of my math books. In Germany, I was horrible at school at first because of my not very advanced German. My teacher was not very eager to teach me and after two days, I was put into an inclusive class for foreign students (Übergangsklasse) and had much longer ways to school. Fortunately, I was able to pass this class with decent grades. But then, in Germany there are three different schools after the primary school. First, there is the grammar school (Gymnasium) for advanced students who want to get an advanced job or to study. Then, there is the real school (Realschule) for those students who want to attend apprenticeschip jobs (e. g. jobs at a bank). And finally, there is the common school (Hauptschule) for those students that want to pursue more manual-oriented jobs like a baker or a hairstylist. After finishing the class for foreigners I only had two options, either to go back to the regular class or to go to the common school. But those options were unacceptable for me as I neither wanted to see that teacher once again nor to have zero academic future. I hated both options and I hid in the hyperreality of my math books. Then, during the summer holidays, my grand-aunt came by at my house. She was already living in Germany for a longer period than us and she explained me and my mother that I did not have to go to a common school if I do not want to. We went to a grammar school and then, I was interviewed by the vice-principal. She asked me what I like about school. I have answered that I like math, for instance I liked perfect numbers, i. e. numbers whose divisors add up to the same number. After some more questions, I was accepted as a guest student at that grammar school. This was my first experience with defeating hyperrealities and breaking rules.

At school, I have never been the quiet kid and I always managed to get into trouble. For instance, during one of my exams I was finished so I decided to take out a piece of paper and to play Renju. This was OK in Ukraine, but in Germany, I was not allowed to do so because I could be cheating. Also, I was late during one lesson since a fellow student was injured which got me and my cousin into detention. During my 7th grade I was almost expelled from school because I deleted a file from another student's directory. But thanks to the principal who opposed that teacher (there was no proof that I did that on purpose) I was able to proceed my studies. And during my 12th (final) grade, me and some other students decided to miss a PE lesson since it was raining outside and I did not want to get sick. Despite my habit to break rules lots of teachers actually believed that I am smart and nice and my grades were mostly good to excellent. I discovered that if you are at least a bit smart, the people will forgive you. Just don't overdo and you'll do fine.

But my grades were not always great. In my 10th grade, I was almost failing 5 classes out of 16 and having five D's. However, my teachers told me not to worry since I was good at STEM classes. My Latin teacher then showed me a technique which is today known as the Law of Attraction. Speaking more precisely, I had to give a talk about a story by Erasmus from Rotterdam. In the story, Alexander the Great defeated King Porus and then asked Porus how he wants to be treated. Porus answered "Like a king" so Alexander the Great treated him in exactly the same way. Erasmus then mentioned that if Porus agreed to be treated like a servant, Alexander would not treat him like a king. The interesting part came after the talk. My teacher was unsure which grade to give me - excellent or good so she asked me which grade I wanted to get. Well, I answered that I made some mistakes so I am happy about a good grade. Guess what - I did not get the excellent grade. Ten seconds later I realized that I screwed up and did not learn the lesson Erasmus was trying to teach me. And while I did not get the excellent grade, I discovered that I should never be happy about the current state and always negotiate if I can. I believed that my teachers support me and give me preferential treatment. And I got it quite often. While giving quite an ordinary talk in Economics, I managed to impress my teacher so much that she improved my D to a B instantly. When I had to give a talk in German about Friedrich Schiller, my German teacher gave me a free DVD about Schiller which she didn't do to anyone else. When my Biology grade in a test was bad, me and another student tried to negotiate about our own grades. The student before me wanted to get one point to get an excellent grade but the teacher refused because "if you get an excellent grade, it does not motivate you to learn more". But when I negotiated, my teacher stated that "you did not do a lot of things, you did not even draw the stomach of the cow". I showed him that I did, which gave me that point that in the end improved my grade from D to C. In Chemistry, my teacher improved my Cs to a B. And in History, I improved my D to an A by raising my hand around 20 times per lesson and willing to answer plus answering correctly quite often. I even got private lessons with my teacher who told me that my future will look bright if I went into something like Sociology. So once again - never accept hyperrealities and always negotiate. In my 11th grade, I also almost failed again due to PE, but again, my teacher told me that the only way to fail because of PE is to not attend the class. Eventually, I managed to graduate as 8th best out of 64. Actually, I wanted to study computer science after school but my mother told me that I should not do this since I do not know how to code. Since my Chemistry teacher from the 10th grade recommended me to study Physics, I followed his advice.

But studying Physics was really challenging for me. At school, I was never challenged and didn't learn how to learn. At my college, the lectures were much faster and much more complicated so I had to develop the ability to learn and to grind. During the first term, my grades dropped and I even failed my Linear Algebra 1 exam. But at least I passed every other exam on my first attempt and on my second attempt, I managed to pass Linear Algebra as well. During my second term, I wanted to pass every exam on my first attempt and Theoretical Physics 1 was quite challenging. I only managed to achieve 12.5% in my homework so I decided to grind for 80 hours a week just copy-pasting the answers from Nolting's and Fließbach's books into my exercise book. Copying is not an effective method to learn and I was asked why I study so inefficiently. The point was that since I did not understand anything, that was the only method that could help me to understand at least something. I managed to understand how the Lagrange and Hamilton formalism work and using that I managed to scrap a pass on my first attempt. 80% did worse than me and they would fail if the professor did not change the passing score from 18 to 16. Also, I passed every other exam on my first attempt. But my grades sucked.

The tutors promised me that my studies will become easier during the next term but gosh, were they wrong. I only had two exams scheduled during the third term but the Math professor made such a challenging course that despite my grinding before the term I still was challenged quite often. For instance, it is quite simple to diagonalize a 3x3 matrix or compute a Jordan normal form of a 4x4 matrix. But is it as easy to compute the Jordan normal form of an 8x8 matrix while explaining every single step? Not at all. The assignments in Math and Theoretical Physics 2 were so challenging that once again I was forced to grind for 60 hours a week just for those two subjects. And when I told my Math professor anonymously during my evaluation that I find his subject too challenging because I am forced to search up information in 40 different scripts, 10 different books and his script is hand-written so I cannot look up things in the script, he made me look like a fool in front of the class. The lecture should be complex. And if I do not like the script to be hand-written then I should be the one to create a solution, for instance by TeXing a script. This was when I realized that I am more stupid than 90% of my class because I was just complaining. So I set myself a goal that I will reach at least an average of 2.5 which is good. My first exam in Theoretical Physics was quite surprising for me so I scored not very well with a D+. So to hit my goal I had to score at least an A- in Math. And I failed by one half of a point. Even my negotiation did not help. Nothing did. I set quite a high goal and I missed.

But I was so hating my stupidity that I decided to go on no matter what. During my fourth semester, I had to take Theoretical Quantum Mechanics, Experimental Quantum Mechanics, the lab course and some electives. Since I wanted to annoy my Math teacher from the last term, I took his course on Differential Geometry. Also, I have decided to learn some numerical mathematics so I chose Computer Physics (which taught me some basics of C++) and Complex Systems. Now, I had to pass 6 courses giving 55 credits where the normal amount was 30. For some unexplicable reason, Quantum Mechanics was not as hard as the previous courses because it was more based on math which I liked. I soon discovered that by looking up information I can overperform the majority from my exercise group. And Differential Geometry was indeed easier than my Math lecture from the term before. I managed to improve my learning technique from learning after the lectures to learning before the lectures which improved my grade from 2.7 to 2.0 while passing the double amount of credits. So finally, I started to learn instead of just complaining. I was still upset because my Experimental Physics exam contained lots of history that I did not learn. (Did you know who is the experimental founder of Bohr's atomic model? It's Rydberg.) And I was also upset because in Computer Physics I missed only one point from another A. But I did not care. I was improving and I hit my goal.

Motivated by my results I decided to optimize my grades even more. I wanted to score not only 55, but 72.5 credits. I wanted to be excellent and not just mediocre. And I wanted to earn money from my skills. But the fifth term did not go as well as expected. The lab course forced me to learn for 100 hours a week. Every single week I had to pass two 1-2 hour long oral exams, doing the experiments, write a paper and so on. My grinding before the term no longer worked because now I had to perform the experiments and to finish the exercises in Theoretical Physics. I managed to get an A- on my lab course and a B+ on my seminar, but my other grades were completely horrible. I even failed two of my subjects and wanted to quit my studies. A girl from my course then motivated me to move on and to finish my Bachelor's degree. For some reason, I have discovered a mysterious pattern - whenever that girl texted me, I managed to get an A or even A+. I manage to get an A in the oral exam on Theoretical Physics by learning for three weeks and an A+ in Algorithms and Data Structures which provided me an opportunity to become a tutor in that subject and to earn some money. The last exam was difficult and I scored a B but I did better than 92% so in the end, I managed to pass 8 exams out of 10 with an average grade of 1.78. During the next term, nothing special happened apart from me finishing my Bachelor's degree in Physics with a B.

But the next semester went completely wrong. First, I wanted to change my Master's program to Computational Engineering but I decided to follow my mother's advice and to study Physics at the grad level. And this was another big mistake since the majority of my desired elective courses were not offered. I was able to get paid as a tutor in Algorithms and Data Structures but my grades declined completely. So I have decided to stop studying Physics and to enroll in Computational Engineering - but I was too late so I had to wait another term. At the beginning of this term I managed to discover another quite easy side hustle as a tutor for the lab course for Medicine students. Also, I discovered a course on Contest Programming which was really interesting. At the beginning, I just wanted to copy the easy tasks. But after one week I solved the thirty easy required assignments by copying and was unimpressed. I wanted to be smarter, better, overperforming and not just another average cheater. So I decided to grind for eighty hours a week and to solve those assignments that were more challenging. In the beginning I have utilized the help of my tutors and the students but after some time, I replaced copying by problem-solving. In the end, I was able to solve 200 (even challenging) tasks and I was proud of that achievement. This seminar on its own gave me a great foundation as an algorithm developer. My other grades were not that great but I managed to get a better grade than 2.5 and this was fine for me knowing that I was doing master's courses in CS with no bachelor's knowledge.

During the next term, I decided to re-direct the energy from the contest-programming seminar into my other CS courses. I soon discovered that I was able to compete with lots of great CS students and my knowledge gap quickly disappeared due to that contest programming seminar from the prior term. I was easily able to understand problems from computer graphics, geometric modeling, pattern recognition and hardware-software co-design. Having learned about the Law of Attraction I decided to text that girl from my fifth term once again (guess what, the A's were there soon) and in the end, I managed to pass 11 exams (77.5 credits) and my grades skyrocketed a lot. My grinding plus utilizing my skills of information and selecting similar subjects paid off. Then, I decided to slow down and to concentrate on my master's thesis. I failed my first attempt, but I still managed to write two seminar talks on computer science, write a great lab course paper and a scientific paper (scoring me a free vacation to Atlanta, Georgia, USA). And on my second attempt, I managed to pass my thesis with an A- and write another scientific paper. Also, I had a great opportunity to work as a student at Siemens which made me able to finish my studies with over 18000$ surplus. In 2018, I was able to graduate with two master's degrees in Computational Engineering and Computer Science.

But after finishing my studies I quickly discovered that my skills are not really paid well. Machine learning sounds great but there are 10x less jobs in ML than in Java development. And since I did not have any experience and did not know anything about web development, I had to take an underpaid job in May 2018 where I only earned 54k$ a year. I took this job but soon I have discovered that it was too challenging for me. I managed to learn some backend development with Java EE and Spring Boot, but I still do not know that much about annotations. Moreover, I learned a new language with Typescript and some frontend development with Angular. Also, I passed the Professional Scrum Master 1 certificate. Understanding that I am not performing very well and that I will not be paid well since I do not provide enough value, I decided to quit that job after 9 months. In February 2019, I took another job paying 55$ a year and that salary increased after two months to 57,5k$ a year. The job itself was not bad but I had a conflict with the secretary. She was upset because I did not greet her on my first day and she did not forgive me for that. I decided that I do not need that behavior and searched for a different job. The boss at the other job asked me to tell my boss at that time about my desire to shift jobs. I did it since I wanted to quit that bad job so much that I had no fear. Well, the end of the story was that I was fired and the other boss did not take me. I thought that I will definitely fail to find a job since I did not do well at my first two jobs.

So I decided to listen to some subliminals to find an easy job that I love and that pays me well. Subliminals are not really mathematically proven and rather esoteric but what is the worst thing that could happen? Well, nothing. So one consulting company decided to hire me without asking complex questions and for some reasons, they told me that I am talented. The salary was horrible with 53,2k$ per year but I decided to accept anything after two bad jobs. They found a project for me in Munich so I was forced to travel 2 hours per day. And then, I have discovered that the job was paying me 67,6k$ per year. Also, for some reason I was suddenly able to program in React just by copying existing apps and adapting them. My speed at coding increased so well that my colleagues and boss were constantly praising me for my performance. For the first time in my life, I was exstatic and I even managed to pass my driver's license. Two months later, my contract was prolongued and the salary improved up to 76k$ per year. I went on and utilized design patterns in such a way that no other developer was able to create my code quickly, while I was able to understand, change and replicate my code easily. But then, Corona happened and I was afraid that my job will not be able to pay for my mortgage. So I decided to quit that job but could not really find another one. My boss could also not find a different developer and decided to re-hire me from a different consultant company which increased my salary to 90k$ per year. Also, I was able to do home office so now I was able to pay less for the tickets from Nuremberg to Munich. But then, I was just bored. I was not improving at all. My jobs stopped being interesting. I only worked one hour per day while still achieving everything that I should. And despite those seven hours a day that I could do whatever I want, those hours were still indentured since I could not move freely. Then, June 2021 happened.

For some reason, I was listening to a teenage influencer on YouTube and TikTok who became a millionaire at 19. I was envious. Not because she was rich, but because she was so smart at such a young age while I was wasting my time with gathering theoretical knowledge. She talked about some books that I should read so I decided to read Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill first. That book is entertaining but if you already know about the Law of Attraction, it does not really help you that much. The next book I decided to read was Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. That book was really great as it put me outside of my comfort zone. It forced me to see that lots of paths do not lead to freedom. The next book was The Millionaire Fastlane by MJ DeMarco. And that book challenged my comfort zone even harder. Not only was I forced to constantly challenge my beliefs, but that book was also highly based on math and psychology. Remember my interest on Math from the childhood? I might hate the difficulty of advanced Math but I still love listening to YouTubers that integrate another nice function or thinking about how polynomials (x+2)^n are related to hypercubes. I realized that while science becomes more and more complex, the really practical inventions happen in the entrepreneurship. Wanting to become an inventor I quit my job and jumped into the void since my job does not provide me an opportunity to scale. Lots of people will criticize me for that but I do not care.

So what am I doing now? Well, first, I have launched my TikTok channel (oleksiyrybakov) where I talk about finance and more. I was also interested in launching Instagram and YouTube, but I was banned on Instagram due to copying my own videos and still not unbanned. And since YouTube is a grind, I do believe that it might be easier to find viewers and followers on TikTok and to send them to YouTube than finding them on YouTube directly. For the last month I was creating daily videos on TikTok and recently, I switched to creating videos twice daily. So far, I have discovered the following challenges. First, I live in Germany so the algorithm proposes my content mostly to the German and European audience (70-90% Germany, 5% Austria, 5% Belgium, 2% Switzerland, 2% USA). I'd like to make my content international so I decided to speak English, but the majority of the TikTok audience are children who do not understand English and especially complex English. Second, my content tends to diverge more and more from the financial topics. Lots of influencers are just constantly repeating their topics and talk for about 10 videos how they got rich by investing, dropshipping, affiliate marketing and so on. I seriously do not want to do that so I decided to utilize my generalistic approach and to talk about different things. In one video I talk about politics improving your finance, then about Scrum, then about investments and so on. Diversification is hated by the social media algorithms but I want to stand out. Third, I made the mistake of doing follow-for-follow and like-for-like since I did not want to stay with only 5 followers. But this completely ruined my account so I decided to stop it. Now, my account is still not supported by the algorithm. Fourth, my content is dull due to math and poorly designed. But OK, I can work on that. And finally, I discovered that my videos tend to diverge from the original purpose. My original videos managed to maybe get 200 views per video but then I decided to do a duet with MrBeast where I explained mathematically what to choose - 1 million instantly or 100k every year. That video managed to get over 500 views despite poor design. During my next duet I decided to make a video where a TikToker asked a child where the Eiffel Tower is located. I knew that there is a second "Eiffel Tower" in Prague and posted a video on that. Now that video got another 1300 views. Another duet now almost has 1450 views. I do not know whether I want to turn my channel into a reaction channel without talking about finance. But that's ok, first of all I'd like to have a generalistic channel and second, let's do what the market wants.

Second, I discovered other new ideas on the forum. One of them is that I would like to translate TMF and other books by MJ into Ukrainian. I do not know whether there is some demand in that but I think that using some Ukrainian political influencers we might find a platform to sell it.

Third, I discovered a Fastlane School on this forum. I think that using that I can learn three things. First, I can learn how to create good educational content for IT topics to become a better influencer. Second, I can improve my programming skills. Third, I can improve my business skills since I do not have a lot of business experience at the moment.

In general, I see my advantages in thinking, programming and teaching, but have to learn more (in a practical approach) about creating great products and marketing them. So thank you for reading my story for such a long time. I appreciate your patience and hope for some great feedback from the forum!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
English your second language? You write very well. Thanks for the introduction, it is great to have you here. Glad you found some value in the books.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Oleksiy! Welcome to the forum from a fellow Ukrainian!
I spent some time in Germany on and off back in 1999-2001 as exchange student and your story was great to read (although very long!). I’ve lived in the UK before moving to Canada.

You seem like an analytical person and smart. It is hard for people who’ve amassed as much education as you did to start thinking like an entrepreneur. Trust me, I would know on my own skin.

What this means is that you must treat your start here as a real start. Assume you don’t know anything about being a businessman. Start with just trusting MJ’s teachings, and trust the process. It’ll take time.

but you know what? I remember the days when I got a raise at a job from $38k to $45k and was excited! But I do not remember exactly when I made my first $1M, I was so busy doing business deals, it just happened. Big money comes quickly.

Remember what it was like learning English and German? Remember dreaming in a foreign language and feeling stupid (limited vocabulary can make one feel that way)? Well, this whole “entrepreneurship” is just like foreign language, or like planting a tree, take a little time but when it connects it becomes a part of you.

In short, you are on the right path! Let us know how we can help you achieve your goals, and then you pass it forward!

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
Thank you Antifragile for the great welcome. If you don't mind, I will upload my daily progress in this thread.

Today, I have created a new Instagram account for my vlogs since my old was still not renewed after a month. One of my TikTok videos now hit over 1600 views and my video from today moved from 16 to 110 views.

Also, on TikTok one woman was criticizing in her video how another influencer was a scammer and how she lost 3000 dollars on that influencer's course without learning anything new and she even did not get a refund. I reviewed the content of that influencer and I think that this complaint was plausible since that influencer is a millionaire who promotes the Slowlane approach similar to Chris Reining while selling courses. In one video, that influencer even described the net worth as "subtract what you own (= assets) from what you owe (= liabilities) and that number should grow". While this looks like just a typo, the consequences of that typo might be severe since some people can try to go deeper into credit card debt wondering why they are so poor. If I made a video with a mistake like that, I would instantly delete it and repost the fixed version. But nothing like that happened even after I commented on the typo. Therefore, I contacted the scammed person and recommended her to follow my channel and to join TFF instead. So far, she did not answer but I hope to win over that customer and her friends by productocracy.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Keep it up!
Quick question: how’s your current approach meeting CENTS framework? Especially Control?

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
Keep it up!
Quick question: how’s your current approach meeting CENTS framework? Especially Control?
If you are talking about my approach working as an influencer, then, obviously, it does not satisfy CENTS. But at the moment, creating a Fastlane business and satisfy any of those criteria is not my goal yet. What I would like to get at first, are the following commandments:

1. Scale: I would like to get more followers and re-direct them into another product which I can control. Social media can satisfy that. Having a video with over 1600 views, the next step would be to create a video which gets 10k viewers. Then, I can gradually increase the amount of followers and likes.

2. Need: It is important to get incremental advice to the current products. At the moment, there are lots of influencers promoting the Slowlane so my approach as a FinToker promoting the Fastlane is not to add some value but to make the value of good approaches more visible. Later, I plan to stand out and to promote courses on IT, e. g. how to program, how to do contest programming, how to create websites.

3. Entry: It is easy to talk about one topic like finance. What is hard is to do is to become a good generalist. Hardly anyone can understand math, physics, IT, finance and politics from different countries on a high level. So I think that if I am blogging, I can stand out by talking about the different interfaces between the areas. While other bloggers are permanently forced to repeat their old content, I do not run out of ideas that quickly. Yes, the algorithms do not favoritize generalism. But then it will be even more interesting to beat the algorithm.

What I do not satisfy:

4. Time: At the moment, creating my videos works rather quickly. But after I start talking on YouTube about IT, it will take me lots of time to create and edit the videos. If I manage to grow, it might be important to automatize that process by hiring helpers or creating automatic editing solutions.

5. Control: Obviously, I am depending on the customers and on the platforms where I create my content. An easy way to do so is to create a sales funnel where I can re-direct my customers. A more interesting way would be to create an own social media platform. MJ created this forum and that might be something that I could create as well for more content on IT.

Satisfying CENTS is an important challenge for me to solve. But first, I'd like to solve one problem before stepping to the next. Thank you for helping me though!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I don’t think Entry is hard here. Anyone with access to a computer and Google can do what you seem to offer.

I can’t speak to a Need - but as discussed on another thread, I cannot see myself listening to your financial advice, you have not yet been battle hardened. And your model is build on - “give me $5 and I’ll teach you how to make money” *gives a 5* - “see I just made $5 easy”. Your motivation here is first to create your own financial success. I don’t see much about creating a value skew for your customers.

I could be wrong, so tell me - what is it that you offer your clients that brings massive value to them?

have you considered doing something different? What else could you be building? You seem to know some coding - could you create a product?

Good luck.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
I don’t think Entry is hard here. Anyone with access to a computer and Google can do what you seem to offer.

I can’t speak to a Need - but as discussed on another thread, I cannot see myself listening to your financial advice, you have not yet been battle hardened. And your model is build on - “give me $5 and I’ll teach you how to make money” *gives a 5* - “see I just made $5 easy”. Your motivation here is first to create your own financial success. I don’t see much about creating a value skew for your customers.

I could be wrong, so tell me - what is it that you offer your clients that brings massive value to them?

have you considered doing something different? What else could you be building? You seem to know some coding - could you create a product?

Good luck.
Thank you for your advice. If my model is based on "give me $5", my marketing has to be improved. I do not demand money for any financial advice and only plan to generate income from the social media platforms. Actually, I rather prefer to criticize advisors doing things like this.

But indeed, value skew is challenging in financial advice. I think that if everyone was as smart as you, financial advice would not be necessary at all.

I do not see any product that I could create with coding unless the entry is too high for me. Blogging about IT will be a part of my blogs but even there value skew is challenging.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
While you may not be 'technically' charging the $5, my time is worth a lot to me. Especially when seeking advice for a specific subject. Keep that in mind. Every person viewing your content is paying with their time.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
While you may not be 'technically' charging the $5, my time is worth a lot to me. Especially when seeking advice for a specific subject. Keep that in mind. Every person viewing your content is paying with their time.
This is the problem for every influencer and also for every teacher. Or is there a solution for this issue which I do not know?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
This is the problem for every influencer and also for every teacher. Or is there a solution for this issue which I do not know?
Solution is value skew. What you offer better be so damn good for me, that I'd feel stupid for not following you.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
Another day, another post:

1. Today, I finally finished to read The Great Rat Race Escape . Lots of the principles are interesting but the majority will, most likely, start to benefit me once the business is executing. But there are two things that really hit me hard. First, when I mentioned before that I contacted a user scammed by another financial advisor, I used the phrase "I am an aspiring financial advisor". I instantly regret it after reading some more pages. Second, this is the third time in this week I was warned about quitting jobs too early.

2. I created another two videos today. The first video talked about the trend "my week" where people are talking about how their typical week looks like. You might guess it, I did not follow the trend and talked about the absurdity of weekdays. I decided to delete it and reupload it since 9 views in 7 hours are rather bad. The second video for today talks about the cryptos Portion and Lukso (Huge thanks to @AceVentures).

3. After some discussions in TFF I decided to shift the focus from influencing about finance (currently) and IT (starting in 2022) towards education in general (finance and other small topics currently, large YouTube videos starting in 2022). The reason why I decided to focus on financial advice in the beginning is because I had the belief that STEM is hated and considered uncool so people do not want to listen to math-related content. This is, indeed, an egoistic belief since the actual problem is not "How do I generate the most profit from knowing that people hate STEM?" but "Ho do I solve the problem that so many people hate STEM?".

I remember that when I started to learn math, I learned it in an adventurous way; math was presented like a novel or a story. This is something that the majority of people do not do which leads to the fact that lots of people hate math and school and perform worse. Adventurous approaches plus teaching how to think analytically is the value skew that I can create. There might be other people doing it as well. I do not know that. But what I do know is that if I ask some person about whether they like math, the probability is still high that they hate it.

An example of this approach might be the trend on TikTok some days ago where people try to name countries without the letters "A" and "I" in its name. I do not know how this knowledge is useful but if this is a "trend", maybe there is a market for that. Is it easy to name such a country? Yes. Is it easy to find a list of such countries on the Internet? Yes. The interesting fact that I noticed is that if the list is ordered alphabetically, some countries rhyme with each other. So I created a sort of rap video which basically names all such countries in a similar approach to the Pokemon rap. I think that rap might be at least more entertaining than conventional methods of teaching. Also, rhyming helps the students to memorize information easier.

The commandment of Time is not satisfied for this approach as well, but at least it looks like the commandments of Scale and Need are satisfied. Entry might be satisfied as well with excellent execution. Control can be achieved by implementing some additional features.

4. I contacted the Fox Web School team since I want to learn even more on creating websites, teaching about IT and selling products.

Are those daily updates valuable for anyone of you and should I continue doing them?

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
A short update on my today's status:

1. I created two more videos on TikTok and a video on IG Reels. The amount of views on my videos today is really low (28 on one video and 0 on the other). I have to analyze whether it has to do something with the quality of my videosand my SEO but what is also possible is that TikTok updates the views quite late. Yesterday, one of my videos was watched for 16 times but today the amount of views increased to 198.

2. The Fox Web School sounds great. But, unfortunately, I have to pay around 2k$ for this program. I expected for this course to cost around 500-1000 dollars which I commented in the quiz. It might be a huge mistake from my side not to invest into such a program. But since I have no job and since I am not very experienced in sales at the moment, I guess that I will not be able to get this kind of money during the next at least two years from a business so I am not ready for such a large investment at the moment.

I have asked the Fox Web School team whether it is possible to pay using time instead of money and to work for Fox Web School instead. However, this does not seem possible since I appear for them not to be qualified enough.

Next goals:
- Learn from the free content from the Fox Web School (5-10 hours a day)
- Post a video that hits 10k of viewers on IG Reels, TikTok and YT Shorts
- Create a more detailed idea for the additional product to videos (books? a forum with mentoring? ...)

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
@OleksiyRybakov

What can you do in the next 2 months to earn $2K ?
Option 1: Reducing liabilities. This is impossible since my mortgage depends on other people. So downgrading is not an option. I do not want to go into debt or to spend any money from my current savings or assets since I have to pay for cornbread before paying for luxury goods.
Option 2: Paying with time. I have asked the Fox Web School whether it is possible to work for them instead of paying them. They declined.
Option 3: Increasing income. According to my contract at my current job, I am not allowed to take any additional jobs until January 2022. Freelancing is also not allowed. I am also not allowed to quit my job until 31.12.2021. I have tried to get a raise / bonus but since I have quit my job at this date already, this was declined. So the only way is business which means that I have to make my social media channels somehow generate 2k$ net within 2 months.
Option 4: Selling something which will give me 2k$ (post-tax). But I have nothing of this value.

I could try to do option 3. But the question is, how do I generate 2k$ post-tax within 2 months? This would mean that I have to get millions of followers within two months.

Are there any other options I did not think of?

Edit: I discovered that it is possible to do tests on medical products but the risk of losing my life or other important body functions looks too high for me.

Last edited:

deepneuralnet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 5, 2020
Dang, We have some awesome people here at tmf . You're gonna do great things mate. I can tell or I'd bet on it.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
@deepneuralnet: Yeah, lots of people are quite interesting here.

Another update: Perhaps it is possible to deduct 2k$ from my taxes if I spend them on an educational course related to my field of work. But I have to concentrate on making 2k$ post-tax instead of just hoping. And now I have another motivation to achieve this goal in two months: after December there is no certainty whether I will have an income stream where I have to pay taxes. If I do not, tax-deduction will no longer be possible.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Option 1: Reducing liabilities. This is impossible since my mortgage depends on other people. So downgrading is not an option. I do not want to go into debt or to spend any money from my current savings or assets since I have to pay for cornbread before paying for luxury goods.
Option 2: Paying with time. I have asked the Fox Web School whether it is possible to work for them instead of paying them. They declined.
Option 3: Increasing income. According to my contract at my current job, I am not allowed to take any additional jobs until January 2022. Freelancing is also not allowed. I am also not allowed to quit my job until 31.12.2021. I have tried to get a raise / bonus but since I have quit my job at this date already, this was declined. So the only way is business which means that I have to make my social media channels somehow generate 2k$ net within 2 months.
Option 4: Selling something which will give me 2k$ (post-tax). But I have nothing of this value.

I could try to do option 3. But the question is, how do I generate 2k$ post-tax within 2 months? This would mean that I have to get millions of followers within two months.

Are there any other options I did not think of?

Edit: I discovered that it is possible to do tests on medical products but the risk of losing my life or other important body functions looks too high for me.

Let’s keep going here.

Try this. Think not how but who. Who could you ask for ideas on how to make $2k? Friend? Relative?

Also, I didn’t ask this question to get you to buy Fox course. I did it to help you start thinking $2k, then double, then double again…

If your employer doesn’t allow freelance, how will he/she find out? What will happen if they do? Do you care?

If you don’t have anything of value to sell, could you use a buy/sell website to find a bargain and re-sell for a higher price?

Is there someone who needs math tutoring in your city that’s willing to pay you per hour? Why does your time offer have to be to Fox only?

Try again with the “WHO, not how” - outside of relatives and friends. Has anyone ever written books on side hustles? Google?

Keep going!

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
Let’s keep going here.

Try this. Think not how but who. Who could you ask for ideas on how to make $2k? Friend? Relative?

Also, I didn’t ask this question to get you to buy Fox course. I did it to help you start thinking $2k, then double, then double again…

If your employer doesn’t allow freelance, how will he/she find out? What will happen if they do? Do you care?

If you don’t have anything of value to sell, could you use a buy/sell website to find a bargain and re-sell for a higher price?

Is there someone who needs math tutoring in your city that’s willing to pay you per hour? Why does your time offer have to be to Fox only?

Try again with the “WHO, not how” - outside of relatives and friends. Has anyone ever written books on side hustles? Google?

Keep going!
Thank you for your response. My employer already had some employees that had a second job and came exhausted to work. The employer contacted the German authorities and discovered that those people had a side hustle. The negative consequences could be:
- the employee gets fired (not a problem for me)
- the employee gets a fine (not a problem for me)
- the relation between the employer and the employee gets worse (mid-level problem for me since I do not want to lose potential future customers)
- the employee gets a criminal record (no idea if this is possible but it would be huge problem for me)

Tutoring math in my local city will definitely not provide me the required money. Getting 2000$ after taxes is 5600$ before taxes would require me to work for 100 hours in a month which I am not allowed to do by German laws. Maybe tutoring online might be a better approach, especially during C0VlD-19.

I see an opportunity in how I could do this. It is not a business but only a side hustle, but the person that I could provide some value for is @MJ DeMarco. But that hustle probably takes longer than two months as well. Also, if I do not know who can help me to get money, maybe going into Chatroulette might be a great approach.

Plus, I could also start re-uploading videos on YouTube. Creating videos about STEM consumes a lot of time but re-uploading is a hustle which can be passivified. The next question would be how I manage to create some value skew from re-uploading.

For some reason, I think that this thread is going to evolve into a book by MJ.

Let's keep going.

Edit: Also, I got a mail that it might be possible for me to teach some computer science subjects at a private university. I applied two months ago for that but was rejected.

Last edited:

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
Next daily update:

1. Today, I uploaded two videos onto TikTok and one on IG. Unfortunately, one video was banned due to promoting crypto. Therefore, I could not get lots of views.
2. I managed to get one step further in the application process for the teaching position at the university. The next step would be to create a 15 minute long video within 4 days and then I hope to pass the interview process.
3. At my job I managed to solve a complex task. I had to create a function to save and to upload a configuration file. When a configuration file is loaded, some rows in an ag grid should be displayed as blue (selected) and others as white (not selected). Usually toggling rows in a grid is not so complex if you have the ag grid api. But since I did not have the access to the grid api, it was challenging. I managed to solve this task with changing another parameter so that the grid was re-rendered and the grid api was called. Also, I managed to fix a bug by strongly-typing a part of my code and removed some duplicate code.
4. I discovered an interesting book about side hustles and plan to read it soon.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
Another daily update:

1. My TikTok video on cryptocurrency from yesterday was unbanned today. The second video hit over 1200 views. Also, I have created another video today.

2. I finally decided which topic about computer science I would like to present for my admission video as the university lecturer. Two months ago, I would probably talk about machine learning or graph theory and how exciting they are. But this is what everyone would do. So instead, I decided to talk about a topic which is mostly considered quite boring - the complexity of algorithms. Why? Because it provides me an opportunity to talk about how compound interest is a scam. I think that with such a gambler's talk (either excellent or epic fail) I will definitely be rejected. But I do not care anymore.

Tomorrow, I plan to record the talk and upload it to my YouTube channel.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
So today I created the video for the uni. In the rules it was stated that I should create a video for no longer than 15 minutes. Guess what, my video is 16 minutes long. Screw the rules!

But unfortunately, I realized that I also messed up the font size of the code. In a typical lecture, I would ask the students whether they can see everything. But in this case, I had no feedback so my application will most likely be rejected. Let's see whether there are any different universities where I can apply.

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Hmmm… not sure why you would break a rule like that. For the sake of just breaking the rule? Like an employee saying “I’ll come to work at 9:30am” when contract says 8:30am. What am I missing? What did you gain from breaking this rule?

entrepreneurs break rules to gain a benefit not to lose.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
What did you gain from breaking this rule?
To be honest, the only thing that I gained was the realization that I am not an entrepreneur but a sidewalker because of being self-centered and not accountable.

I was not willing to check the quality of the video before sending it to the university.
I was not willing to improve the quality.
I was not willing to express myself in a shorter time.

So the first step that I should do is to stop writing self-centered content in this forum. The second step is to search and implement answers on how to stop being self-centered.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Good on you buddy for recognizing a need for change. Now, let’s do this! Let’s get you to the next level!
1. How can you make some extra $$$?

what skills do you have that could be leveraged?

is there anything that makes you unique and immediately qualified (trusted)?

you’ve had to learn a new language! You were an excellent student. How did you do that?

something tells me you are disciplined! That’s a big deal. Can you teach on Skillshare?

anything that can make you your first free cash flow is a good thing. It’s one step in a journey of a thousand miles.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Also, you know that the biggest benefit of this forum is the connections you can make here. It’s not just knowledge of “how” but also the “who”. Who can help you succeed?

post and ask for help. Plenty of great people here willing and able to help.

Best of all @MJ DeMarco actually reads and helps people here. In short, odds are on your side. Your turn to act.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
Here is my approach how I would like to make money short-term:
1. Get a better job as a software developer or architect
2. Get an additional job as a lecturer teaching STEM subjects
3. Create content on social media and convert my students into subscribers / followers / customers
4. Skillshare, Coursera, Udemy and other platforms might be great but cost some money and do not utilize the commandment of control. In the short term, this might be a solution.

For the beginning I think that this should be sufficient for me. I will ask for help later but now it is time to act and secure those streams of income. But what I would like to know from you is the following:

I was disciplined at some point in my life. But at college it is also possible to get good grades quickly and easily by utilizing shortcuts. I did it exactly this way while having the discipline as a backup when necessary. And I also managed to find some shortcuts at my current workplace.

But is it possible to find such shortcuts at entrepreneurship? @MJ DeMarco mentioned in TMF that the biggest industry is the industry of shortcuts. Shortcuts to get rich quickly and easily are often scam. But can selling shortcuts to achieve something else quickly and easily be the way to get rich quickly and easily?

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Oh kid. Are you telling me you aren’t disciplined and want to get new job, a teaching position and start a bunch of courses- all the while trying to expand your social media?
Really? Do I have to spell it out for you?

it’s about execution!!!!

go read MJ books again.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
When the going gets hard, the hard get going.

Anyone can be an entrepreneur and everyone deserves to have a good life. The world is abundant with opportunities. Yet most will remain blind. Most will quit before giving it a proper try. Most will claim they are “tired”, “not smart enough” … excuses…

It usually takes an FTE to really trigger that dog like pursuit of dreams. The irrational desire to succeed at all cost. But most people will remain comfortable and rarely hit that spot. A job will suffice.

This place is best for the damn few who want more. Who won’t take “no” for an answer. For those who have been rejected and they just smiled and marched on. Those who ask for help. Those who know how to ask for help. Those who will succeed.

That’s why MJ never talks about quick riches, because that’s winning a lotto. The name of the game is Fastlane- not an “easy lane”.

Best of luck to you kid.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...