The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Bio-Hacking Discussion: Cold Showers, Nicotine, Cryo, Float Tanks...

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
Quick tip on meditation, I got from Andrew Huberman's podcast: make sure to choose the correct type of meditation depending on your present need. 2 main types he covered are interoceptive and exteroceptive meditation, and you want to do the opposite of what your present mental state is.
If you're too in your head (interoceptive), you'd do an exteroceptive meditation. So for example just stare at a leaf in the distance or listen to a bird chirping outside.
If you're too scatterbrained and having trouble focusing on the task at hand (exteroceptive), do an interoceptive meditation. For example, do a body scan or focus on your breathing or "3rd eye" (forehead).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
Perfect example of what happens if you live your life the right way.

Natural human lifespan is estimated at around 120 years, on average.
That's the age most of us would reach if we stopped destroying our bodies every single day.

60 years old should be mid life and you should look like 40.
At 100 years old you should look like 70.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
May 9, 2021
Update: Yeah so trying out low % zyn pouches was surprisingly effective- I see why Attia and Hubermann use them 2-3x a day.

I don't like what it does to my heart rate still, but considering I'm carrying a lot of bs and stress from my dayjob that used to prevent me from being able to focus it's a decent trade off. I would just stare at my monitor after work and it was like I was hitting a huge wall. Now I just get back from work, pop a pouch, and I have a great 2-3 hours of solid work before I tuck in. I just need to hone in my daily system a bit more so I can get off these asap once I leave the job and take this full time.

Best paths I see right now are to hone in my sleep more, move it from 9pm-4:45am to about 10pm-6am that I think my body works better with and see what I can do to get more choline in my diet. I'm already eating about 18-24 eggs a week and plenty of fish though, so I'm thinking it could just be mental exhaustion/burnout.

If you listen to Huberman i'm sure you know the effects of cold showers on your long term motivation. It sucks for 3 minutes, but you get lasting positive effects in terms of adrenaline and dopamine.

Dude, this was a great suggestion! I stopped taking cold showers a few years ago for some reason but your post had me hop back on it. I think they actually helped me get over a stall I had with my weight loss, had a pretty good downtrend in my weight this week and some better energy.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/BecomingTheIceman/comments/efl7c8 View: https://www.reddit.com/r/BecomingTheIceman/comments/efl7c8/anecdotewim_hofice_baths_might_have_shrunk_my/

https://www.reddit.com/r/BecomingTheIceman/comments/tq1mz6 View: https://www.reddit.com/r/BecomingTheIceman/comments/tq1mz6/final_update_on_my_cancer_ama/

P.S. I've since contacted both Dean Hall and the Reddit user. They're legitimate pioneers in healing cancer through cold exposure. Dean also has a very high emotional IQ and wears his heart on his sleeve which helped him overcome his second cancer as well.

Both of these guys did not have surgery or go on chemo. Essentially, they only sought medical help in the form of blood tests/imagining to confirm their progress. Both have been mostly ignored by doctors about their results.

Dean Hall's story especially is incredibly inspiring. You can see his story in full here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBmo7065mvY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGuFORrs8xw

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

https://www.reddit.com/r/BecomingTheIceman/comments/efl7c8 View: https://www.reddit.com/r/BecomingTheIceman/comments/efl7c8/anecdotewim_hofice_baths_might_have_shrunk_my/

https://www.reddit.com/r/BecomingTheIceman/comments/tq1mz6 View: https://www.reddit.com/r/BecomingTheIceman/comments/tq1mz6/final_update_on_my_cancer_ama/

P.S. I've since contacted both Dean Hall and the Reddit user. They're legitimate pioneers in healing cancer through cold exposure. Dean also has a very high emotional IQ and wears his heart on his sleeve which helped him overcome his second cancer as well.

Both of these guys did not have surgery or go on chemo. Essentially, they only sought medical help in the form of blood tests/imagining to confirm their progress. Both have been mostly ignored by doctors about their results.

Dean Hall's story especially is incredibly inspiring. You can see his story in full here:

Thanks for this, I've been doing a lot of looking into it lately. I started cold plunges back in November and now 4-5 times a week I sit in a cold bath for 5-10 minutes.

I haven't had so much as a cold in months. My wife works at a nursery and so brings home sniffles all the time, I kiss her, lie next to her and I'm fine.

Some days I feel like frickin Superman after my dip and I've become a bit of an annoying, cold water evangelist to my friends :)

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
Been consistent with daily cold exposure for more than two years now.

Every morning I wake up at 5AM and head straight into a cold shower.
Every other shower also includes cold water conditioning.
As the seasons change, I continue to expose myself to the environment with daily outside workouts.
As I travel, especially in the mountains, I love to swim in ice-cold river water. Last year I even took my pregnant wife into the river at the top of Sequoia National Park as well as at Lake Tahoe.

The cold adaptation has a noticeable affect on my metabolic health. You can build cold adaptation even in warm climates. Last winter, although I'm in Texas and the weather doesn't get very cold, I got by without anything more than a T-shirt. My sister and brother-in-law came to visit from Canada and even they didn't have the adaptation that I do.

Haven't been sick since I started.

Exposing oneself to the cold on a regular basis is one of the easiest forms of metabolic conditioning. It's an equally useful practice for regulating creeping levels of inner-bitchness.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
Been consistent with daily cold exposure for more than two years now.

Every morning I wake up at 5AM and head straight into a cold shower.
Every other shower also includes cold water conditioning.
As the seasons change, I continue to expose myself to the environment with daily outside workouts.
As I travel, especially in the mountains, I love to swim in ice-cold river water. Last year I even took my pregnant wife into the river at the top of Sequoia National Park as well as at Lake Tahoe.

The cold adaptation has a noticeable affect on my metabolic health. You can build cold adaptation even in warm climates. Last winter, although I'm in Texas and the weather doesn't get very cold, I got by without anything more than a T-shirt. My sister and brother-in-law came to visit from Canada and even they didn't have the adaptation that I do.

Haven't been sick since I started.

Exposing oneself to the cold on a regular basis is one of the easiest forms of metabolic conditioning. It's an equally useful practice for regulating creeping levels of inner-bitchness.
Thanks for posting this.

Today I've just had my first ice bath in a long time. I'm doing this therapy specifically for improving metabolic health (mitochondria function).

The feeling you get when you get out of that water is otherworldly. It's indescribable.

It's like you get recharged with pure health and life force from the heavens.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
May 9, 2021
Tried out nicotine awhile back as mentioned here in the thread. Just quit them (again), and hopefully finally. Sure they're sort of "nice" but as time went on I noticed that everytime I used a pouch, I'd get hit with a wave of anxiety and my thoughts would race. Sure, I could be a *little* more productive with the pouches, but being anxious all day and looking forward to the next pouch is no way to live.

Had also been having wine here and there throughout the week but aiming to cut back on alcohol in totality to claim the time back and use it productively.

Now that I'm off those crutches, realizing I had a lot of work to do on my mindset, currently working on being mindful and meeting and defeating negative/unreleastic/distorted thoughts as they come up and been having a pretty good couple of days. I still feel tinges of fear thinking about everything I have yet to do that's in front of me, but I'm not going to stoop to drink from and then wallow in self-pity and paralysis anymore.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

Oh wow Simon, I've got to thank you again. My wife's best friend looks like she may have some kind of stomach cancer (being confirmed today). So this couldn't have come at a better time, cold exposure would have been my suggestion anyway, but it's going to be a lot stronger backed up by this and the scientific papers quoted in the article.

You could so easily have decided not to share this, I am so glad you did.

Have an amazingly blessed day, awesome weekend and beautiful life.

Peace X

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Oh wow Simon, I've got to thank you again. My wife's best friend looks like she may have some kind of stomach cancer (being confirmed today). So this couldn't have come at a better time, cold exposure would have been my suggestion anyway, but it's going to be a lot stronger backed up by this and the scientific papers quoted in the article.

You could so easily have decided not to share this, I am so glad you did.

Have an amazingly blessed day, awesome weekend and beautiful life.

Peace X

Sorry to hear that. It's going to be pretty hard for her in the near future, especially when she has to choose a treatment option.

I'd like to share some things that I've found throughout my own health journey and observing others' that might help:

1. She has to gather a lot of strength & cultivate an unwavering belief in "miracles" (a.k.a upcoming breakthroughs in science and medicine).

2. People who believe deep down that they're going to come out on top in a bad situation, despite how hopeless or unlikely it seems for them to do so, often end up doing just that. Of course, this works both ways – people who "hope" for their bad situation to resolve but harbor negative expectations usually end up manifesting the things they don't want.

Naturally, those who are skeptical on principle (as I am) will point out that being optimistic and expecting the "good" thing to happen doesn't guarantee that it will.

To that, I have two counter-arguments:

A) That's not something a highly optimistic person would say, so how would you REALLY know?
B) Even if that's true, expecting the "bad" thing to happen pretty much guarantees it will. So why not increase your chances by being optimistic every step of the way? (even if some of those steps make you fall flat on your face)

As for treatment, this is how it usually goes:

Fear drives many to cling to what is known or considered a "safe bet". Traditional medicine and chemotherapy are considered as such. This is understandable as one's health and life are at stake.

Heck, we know that even Steve Jobs with his unfathomable wealth and power still died from cancer while on an experimental fruitarian diet (which was a questionable choice considering sugar feeds cancer cells and pretty much everything else that's pathogenic).

So, it's extremely important to educate oneself on how that treatment works and, even more importantly, how effective it is.

In Dean Hall's case, he learned that with chemotherapy he only had a 7% chance of survival in the following 4 years.

He got a second, third, fourth, and even ninth opinion from top oncologists in the U.S. Most gave him anywhere from 3 months to a year to live without any treatment.

So, he decided to go out guns blazing by accomplishing a physical feat that nobody else had done—becoming the first person to swim the entire length of the Willamette River and River Shannon (and with late-stage cancer to boot.)

Unbeknownst to him, his newfound purpose and extreme exposure to cold (he swam in 40F/4C water 8-10 hours per day for 21 days) led to one of his cancers (leukemia) going into deep "spontaneous" remission in just 21 days. His doctors told him that if they hadn't diagnosed him themselves, they would have been in doubt he ever had it.

Unfortunately for Dean, the cold exposure did not put his lymphoma in remission.

Despite this, he didn't call it quits and still did not turn to traditional medicine (risky yet commendable) but began practicing what's known as "forest bathing" – a Japanese practice where you spend 1 day per week alone in nature and just taking it all in. The sounds, the beautiful visuals, the peace and quiet, all of the various life forms around you. Like a whole day of mindfulness meditation out in nature.

He's mentioned that in the quietness of nature he realized he had a lot of emotional trauma weighing on him, especially related to the passing of the love of his life and regrets of not following his dreams. He cried a lot at first and had to come to terms with a lot of emotions that he had avoided and suppressed.

After a year of this, his lymphoma entered remission as well. It's fascinating.

Best of luck to your friend. I'd recommend Dean Hall's book which I've linked above – written by himself, his daughter, and a doctor that's a friend of their family who attempts to provide scientific explanations on why it all worked out for him.

Last edited:

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Sorry to hear that. It's going to be pretty hard for her in the near future, especially when she has to choose a treatment option.

I'd like to share some things that I've found throughout my own health journey and observing others' that might help:

1. She has to gather a lot of strength & cultivate an unwavering belief in "miracles" (a.k.a upcoming breakthroughs in science and medicine).

2. People who believe deep down that they're going to come out on top in a bad situation, despite how hopeless or unlikely it seems for them to do so, often end up doing just that. Of course, this works both ways – people who "hope" for their bad situation to resolve but harbor negative expectations usually end up manifesting the things they don't want.

Naturally, those who are skeptical on principle (as I am) will point out that being optimistic and expecting the "good" thing to happen doesn't guarantee that it will.

To that, I have two counter-arguments:

A) That's not something a highly optimistic person would say, so how would you REALLY know?
B) Even if that's true, expecting the "bad" thing to happen pretty much guarantees it will. So why not increase your chances by being optimistic every step of the way? (even if some of those steps make you fall flat on your face)

As for treatment, this is how it usually goes:

Fear drives many to cling to what is known or considered a "safe bet". Traditional medicine and chemotherapy are considered as such. This is understandable as one's health and life are at stake.

Heck, we know that even Steve Jobs with his unfathomable wealth and power still died from cancer while on an experimental fruitarian diet (which was a questionable choice considering sugar feeds cancer cells and pretty much everything else that's pathogenic).

So, it's extremely important to educate oneself on how that treatment works and, even more importantly, how effective it is.

In Dean Hall's case, he learned that with chemotherapy he only had a 7% chance of survival in the following 4 years.

He got a second, third, fourth, and even ninth opinion from top oncologists in the U.S. Most gave him anywhere from 3 months to a year to live without any treatment.

So, he decided to go out guns blazing by accomplishing a physical feat that nobody else had done—becoming the first person to swim the entire length of the Willamette River and River Shannon (and with late-stage cancer to boot.)

Unbeknownst to him, his newfound purpose and extreme exposure to cold (he swam in 40F/4C water 8-10 hours per day for 21 days) led to one of his cancers (leukemia) going into deep "spontaneous" remission in just 21 days. His doctors told him that if they hadn't diagnosed him themselves, they would have been in doubt he ever had it.

Unfortunately for Dean, the cold exposure did not put his lymphoma in remission.

Despite this, he didn't call it quits and still did not turn to traditional medicine (risky yet commendable) but began practicing what's known as "forest bathing" – a Japanese practice where you spend 1 day per week alone in nature and just taking it all in. The sounds, the beautiful visuals, the peace and quiet, all of the various life forms around you. Like a whole day of mindfulness meditation out in nature.

He's mentioned that in the quietness of nature he realized he had a lot of emotional trauma weighing on him, especially related to the passing of the love of his life and regrets of not following his dreams. He cried a lot at first and had to come to terms with a lot of emotions that he had avoided and suppressed.

After a year of this, his lymphoma entered remission as well. It's fascinating.

Best of luck to your friend. I'd recommend Dean Hall's book which I've linked above – written by himself, his daughter, and a doctor that's a friend of their family who attempts to provide scientific explanations on why it all worked out for him.

Hey Simon,

Thanks for this detailed reply, for some reason, I didn't see it when you originally posted. Thanks for all of the tips - I'll be coming back to them periodically - and thanks for the book recommendation, did you put the link in the original post? I didn't see it in this one.

Hopefully, my wife's friend's cancer is not as bad.

Once again, thank you!

Michal__

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Mar 13, 2023
1.5h meditation daily = need much less sleep, so the time investment doesnt matter, better focus than with modafinil, perform much better business-wise overall, more discipline,...

I can go through a book very fast and understand it much more than without the meditation.

Of course, most of you wont want to try this, but it is worth it.
Work on business tasks is much easier too.

You have to meditate without back support if you want to reduce your sleep need!

Another favorite of mine - 1 meal after 12+ hours of work on my business on an empty stomach.
I am much more focused when I do that.
Alex Becker does the same thing.
Remove all distractions - it is easier to not procrastinate when you NEVER procrastinate. Obviously this is only temporary, until I get fastlane success.
But basically - I only watch movies etc (or try to anyway, sometimes I break this rule, unfortunately) when someone else invites me.

Your brain automatically gets addicted to the easiest thing you do!
If work on your business is the easiest thing you do during the day, you will get addicted to working on your business!
If YouTube is the easiest thing you can bet that you will want to watch more of it! Maybe even waste a full day there.

Adaptogens (rhodiola rosea, ashwaganha,..) - manage stress.
Armodafinil - free concentration with less side effects than Adderall.

Get blood work done from time to time to see if you have any deficiencies.

Do some sport / workout - this is huge for self-discipline.

Last edited:

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Apr 29, 2019
@Michal__ since you seem tuned to your body, heres some niche techniques based on on the work of Amanda Fielding and navy seals (separately).

Amanda suggests that increasing blood supply to the brain allows for a higher function, and that substances that allow you to trap blod there/"get high" are beneficial for this physiological reason.

This mirrors the "navy seal power nap", which is 7 minute nap with your legs elevated, to increase blood concentration in your head.

There are also some yoga theory aimed at blood flow to the head.

I'm curious if you would see any benefit from this, and perhaps allow you to be tuned in with less meditation.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

I've struggled with fatigue for the last few years and Rhodiola Rosea is great! I don't drink coffee anymore!

It also makes you more easy going.

I have sensitive hearing from blasting music with headphones in my younger years and this guy drove by in the loudest Mustang and it didn't even irritate me.

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Have you guys tried Kava?

I was at Vitamin Shoppe and bought some and tried them. I definitely noticed an effect. Although probably not the same as drinking the stuff.

Apparently it's used as an "alcohol substitute" in pacific cultures. It also helps with sleep and anxiety.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL0U4tJ0Ezk

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I definitely can confirm after I go for a swim in cold water, I get out feeling like a million bucks.

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I've been taking Niacin these last few months just to get that flushing sensation(not for any particular health reason). And now I notice it doesn't even work LOL. I'll take 2 grams and wait 30 minutes and nothing. LOL

My point is, it gives you a clue how our bodies work.

This is why a cigar taste better if you haven't had a cigar in months than if you have one everyday.

This is exactly why I think most people don't grow or change because this similar mechanism is acting psychologically.

On another note every so often I do love sitting down and eating Serrano and Habanero Peppers just to ball my eyes out. LOL Even Pharma uses Capsaicin in creams.

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
I've been taking Niacin these last few months just to get that flushing sensation(not for any particular health reason). And now I notice it doesn't even work LOL. I'll take 2 grams and wait 30 minutes and nothing. LOL

My point is, it gives you a clue how our bodies work.

This is why a cigar taste better if you haven't had a cigar in months than if you have one everyday.

This is exactly why I think most people don't grow or change because this similar mechanism is acting psychologically.

On another note every so often I do love sitting down and eating Serrano and Habanero Peppers just to ball my eyes out. LOL Even Pharma uses Capsaicin in creams.
Combine niacin with lipoic acid and see how you feel about it then ;)

It seems to help absorption magnify by 10x

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Combine niacin with lipoic acid and see how you feel about it then ;)

It seems to help absorption magnify by 10x

I take 1200mg of Alpha-lipoic-acid every day.

It helps a lot with my skin problem. Maybe because it's water and fat soluble. It's a very powerful compound for it to have an effect like that.

FullTimePreneur

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 6, 2015
Jersey City
Does anyone else use L-Tyrosine and Alpha GPC for concentration?

I've learned about this from an Andrew Huberman podcast and I feel that it significantly helps with concentration. I usually take it about 3x per week in the morning to get some deep work accomplished.

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Apr 29, 2019
I've been wanting to try a red light panel, but havent justified the cost. Anyone here tried one?

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Story time...

Many, many years ago a famous Roman botanist called Antonius Musa helped a very young and very ill Augustus Caesar recover with cold compresses and baths.

Augustus Caesar, plagued by chronic illnesses throughout his childhood and early adulthood, used to be so ill at the time that Rome's enemies mocked him and did not take him seriously at all – probably because their spies told them things were looking dire for the young emperor.

He recovered, obviously, and ordered a statue to be erected in the center of Rome to honor the healer. He also promoted him to "equities" or "knight" which was only second to the Senate in the Roman hierarchy.

Oh, and he made all Roman doctors exempt from taxes.

A friend of mine got this from a book, but there's some info online, too:

Antonius Musa was a Greek botanist and the Roman Emperor Augustus's physician; Antonius was a freedman who received freeborn status along with other honours.

When the emperor was seriously ill, and had been made worse by a hot regimen and treatment, B. C. 23, Antonins Musa succeeded in restoring him to health by means of cold bathing and cooling drinks, for which service he received from Augustus and the senate a large sum of money and the permission to wear a gold ring, and also had a statue erected in his honour near that of Aesculapius by public subscription. (Dio Cass. l.c. ; Schol. ad Horat. Epist. 1.15. 3; Sneton. August. 59, 81; Plin. Nat. 19.38, 25.38, 29.5.) He seems to have been attached to this mode of treatment, to which Horace alludes l.c.), but failed when he applied it to the case of M. Marcellus, who died under his care a few months after the recovery of Augustus, B. C. 23. (Dio Cass. l.c.)

The emperor likely suffered from a liver abscess or typhoid fever.

So Augustus recovered with cold therapy but his nephew didn't.

Unexpectedly, Marcellus fell ill and died in Baiae in 23 BCE. As often happens in such unexpected situations, there were voices about the assassination. There were rumors that Livia had poisoned Marcellus. This version of events was supported by the boy’s mother, Octavia. Most likely, however, the reason for the death was natural. Marcellus became ill with an infection of the upper respiratory tract, which was unskilfully tried to heal. Hydrotherapy (cold baths) was fashionable at that time, which only accelerated the development of the disease and led to death. Octavian, despite his family tragedy, kept searching for his successor.

Interestingly, there are quite a few inconsistencies when it comes to what they were actually afflicted by. Some sources state that Augustus Caesar likely had a liver abscess or typhoid fever while in the paragraph above it's stated that Marcellus, his nephew, suffered from an upper respiratory infection.

Wikipedia, on the other hand, has this to say:

That year, an illness was spreading in Rome which afflicted both Augustus and Marcellus. Augustus caught it earlier in the year, while Marcellus caught it later, after the emperor had already recovered. The illness proved fatal and killed Marcellus at Baiae, in Campania, Italy.

So what's the truth? Who knows, this happened 2000 years ago, lol.

But it looks like cold therapy isn't as novel as people perceive it to be.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 26, 2023
1.5h meditation daily = need much less sleep, so the time investment doesnt matter, better focus than with modafinil, perform much better business-wise overall, more discipline,...

I can go through a book very fast and understand it much more than without the meditation.

Of course, most of you wont want to try this, but it is worth it.
Work on business tasks is much easier too.

You have to meditate without back support if you want to reduce your sleep need!

Another favorite of mine - 1 meal after 12+ hours of work on my business on an empty stomach.
I am much more focused when I do that.
Alex Becker does the same thing.
Remove all distractions - it is easier to not procrastinate when you NEVER procrastinate. Obviously this is only temporary, until I get fastlane success.
But basically - I only watch movies etc (or try to anyway, sometimes I break this rule, unfortunately) when someone else invites me.

Your brain automatically gets addicted to the easiest thing you do!
If work on your business is the easiest thing you do during the day, you will get addicted to working on your business!
If YouTube is the easiest thing you can bet that you will want to watch more of it! Maybe even waste a full day there.

Armodafinil - free concentration with less side effects than Adderall.

Get blood work done from time to time to see if you have any deficiencies.

Do some sport / workout - this is huge for self-discipline.

I can totally second this.

30 min x2 meditations a day

I quit alcohol and cigarettes', also drugs,

I quit Sugar and now quitting the Salt

2 meals a day, mostly the greens.

30 mins workout daily and then a cold shower.

I have been following the above routine for more than 6 months now and I have become more than 2x productive than I was before.

@Michal__ since you seem tuned to your body, heres some niche techniques based on on the work of Amanda Fielding and navy seals (separately).

Amanda suggests that increasing blood supply to the brain allows for a higher function, and that substances that allow you to trap blod there/"get high" are beneficial for this physiological reason.

This mirrors the "navy seal power nap", which is 7 minute nap with your legs elevated, to increase blood concentration in your head.

There are also some yoga theory aimed at blood flow to the head.

I'm curious if you would see any benefit from this, and perhaps allow you to be tuned in with less meditation.

I do take a power nap of 15 minutes during the lunch time and I guess I need to buy myself a zero gravity chair! :thumbsup:

random_username

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 19, 2024
Last edited:

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Isnt this highly dependent on your diet?

If you eat a lot of processed food you probably don’t want to add salt to it, because then you’re getting too much. Which ignores the real problem, which is processed food.

If you eat clean, you probably want to add a bit of salt when you cook/eat.

If you eliminate salt entirely you’ll become highly fatigued (at best) - it’s an essential mineral.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 26, 2023
Isnt this highly dependent on your diet?

If you eat a lot of processed food you probably don’t want to add salt to it, because then you’re getting too much. Which ignores the real problem, which is processed food.

If you eat clean, you probably want to add a bit of salt when you cook/eat.

If you eliminate salt entirely you’ll become highly fatigued (at best) - it’s an essential mineral.

Asians consume much more spices and salt than most Americans do. I had the "Gut"-feeling that bland food would suit my body more. Its been a month I have been cutting down on the chilies and salt and my gut has never been happier.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.