The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

8 Eyewear: From Idea, to Launch, to Growth (And Quitting the Job)

Idea threads

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Yeah, I'd look for a secondary mfg. Get that NE C ST locked down.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GrensonMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 13, 2014
Texas
@Vick when you start looking for a second manufacturer how do you plan on using them? Will you funnel lets say 30% of your orders through them and the other 70% through your main manufacturer? If you keep them in reserve, will you store materials with them so you can quickly ramp up production if things go south with your main manufacturer? Do you have a plan for how you would recoup stored materials if things did go south?

These are some of the questions I have been asking myself because I had initially planned on having a back up manufacturer to gain more control.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
@Vick when you start looking for a second manufacturer how do you plan on using them? Will you funnel lets say 30% of your orders through them and the other 70% through your main manufacturer? If you keep them in reserve, will you store materials with them so you can quickly ramp up production if things go south with your main manufacturer? Do you have a plan for how you would recoup stored materials if things did go south?

These are some of the questions I have been asking myself because I had initially planned on having a back up manufacturer to gain more control.

I'm thinking of doing a 'Wayfarer' style in the future, along with my next style. 2nd manu will be 100% provider of the Wayfarer model. Mostly because my current supplier is not an expert in Wayfarer sunglasses, they focus more on the Sports style shades. So ya, looking for a really good Wayfarer manu right now. Reason I'm choosing a Wayfarer frame is to attract the female crowd.

tbh I'm not worried about my current manu right now. We have an understanding. They want to be rich as well. ;) I just keep them informed on what I want this company to be. And they're starting to see me scale, so I don't think they want to lose me. If something happens, then I can always correct course. I def don't want to move the same mold from 1 facility to another. That sounds expensive.

I find I work better under stress. If something bad happens, I'll figure it out.

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
Loving the progress mate. You touched on it earlier on in the thread but can you elaborate how you find the Instagram accounts with 300k+ followers that you approach for advertising? It's proving a laborious task for me...

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Need Advice

So were getting some Returns from the US, not because they dislike the product, but because they don't fit properly. Im gettin slammed with Brokerage fees for bringing the product back through Customs, plus shipping charges. So about $50 for a Return its costing me, plus the shipping expense to send it to the customer. Our return rate is extremely low, about 1% but could be much higher after all the Black Friday sales are opened xmas morning.

Any ideas on how to reduce this cost? I'm thinking maybe not to even bother with returns because the return rate is under 1%, like just refund there money and label it a marketing expense like what these guys do > http://www.shopify.com/blog/1491721...1-470-in-three-months-selling-cloud-notebooks

"Returns aren’t worth the effort. On the rare occasion that a case arrives damaged or defective, we either send people a full refund or a replacement. Dealing with returns just isn’t worth the effort for us and it’s also a pretty horrible experience for the customer. People are nearly always pleasantly surprised that we don’t require them to return the item before getting a replacement or refund. That makes them happy. We chalk this up as a marketing expense and move on."

But this idea could have a reverse effect if people find out that we just refund money, and they get to keep the product. For example, telling there friends and family, "hey these guys just refund your money if you tell them your unsatisfied, and you can keep them". Not sure how those other guys in the link are getting around this.

The other alternative is, keep our stock at Amazon in the US so there's no need for Customs Clearance back to CA. But what if the product is returned damaged, box is damaged, or not sell-able, the product needs to be reviewed by us, so that the quality level is good for re-selling. Not a fan of this idea. I hate losing control over the products visual appeal when shipped. It's very important for a high priced product.

Not sure what else I could do, other then just deal with the $50 charge every time the product is returned. I'm guessing this is usual for international business. Things would be so much easier if I was a US citizen, 95% of our sales are now from the US.

Any ideas?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Find an agent in Buffalo that US returns can ship to. Have them photo and send info to you. You provide details on what to do. Maybe it can be someone that sells them for you in Buffalo as well! Tell them you want them to be your US rep. They get a lower wholesale price for handling returns.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
So me and the wife were talking.

We both agree that we want to live our lives in a warmer climate anyway.

And It makes sense to me to live in the country where 95% of our profits lie. Plus the warm weather :) I love Canada, but from a business perspective and life perspective, it makes sense to make this move eventually.

So in the long run, we'd like to move to the US and setup shop there.

I imagine it's pretty difficult to do this, not like we can just say, 'Hey we want to become US residents, done deal'.

Did you have a hard time doing this @Eskil ? You recently did this correct?

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Find an agent in Buffalo that US returns can ship to. Have them photo and send info to you. You provide details on what to do. Maybe it can be someone that sells them for you in Buffalo as well! Tell them you want them to be your US rep. They get a lower wholesale price for handling returns.
@Vick
I would like to offer my Ohio address to you. You could have the returns shipped to my home (or we could set up a po box). I could send pics to you or we could do some skype reviews between us so you can "look"at the returns. Once we have accumulated x amount I could send those to you in bulk. I don't want or expect any compensation, discounts, etc.. I would just love to be of some assistance for your growing business. Now, I know you don't know me and I would have no problems signing a contract, non-compete, NDA, or whatever and providing my personal info allowing you to perform any type of background check on me. If you are interested in discussing this further PM me. If not, I fully understand and wish you the best of luck. You are a true inspiration.

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto
So me and the wife were talking.

We both agree that we want to live our lives in a warmer climate anyway.

And It makes sense to me to live in the country where 95% of our profits lie. Plus the warm weather :) I love Canada, but from a business perspective and life perspective, it makes sense to make this move eventually.

So in the long run, we'd like to move to the US and setup shop there.

I imagine it's pretty difficult to do this, not like we can just say, 'Hey we want to become US residents, done deal'.

Did you have a hard time doing this @Eskil ? You recently did this correct?

My wife and I are in the same boat. Specifically California or Texas. Cheapest bet would be a business visa since it applies to all family members.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
My wife and I are in the same boat. Specifically California or Texas. Cheapest bet would be a business visa since it applies to all family members.

Is the process extensive? Difficult to be approved?

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto
Is the process extensive? Difficult to be approved?

I'm sure eskil has better insight. But if I recall correctly, you'll be looking into the E2 business visa. Which requires a certain amount of capital to apply.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
I'm sure eskil has better insight. But if I recall correctly, you'll be looking into the E2 business visa. Which requires a certain amount of capital to apply.

500k - 1 mil investment. jeez thats nutty

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto
500k - 1 mil investment. jeez thats nutty
That's if you want permanent resident status. I think you need over $50k as an investor and just renew every 5 years. I've heard from multiple sources that once you have the visa, you're pretty much guaranteed renewals.
Try this site for more info canadiansinusa.com

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Vick,

You should find a friend in the US to handle your return. If not, for any other reason than to make your customers ship the sunglasses somewhere. That would alleviate your concerns of people making fake unsatisfied claims. Then you just ship the customer a replacement once your US friend verifies that they received the sunglasses. It's up to you if you want to make that friend inspect them, but I would just have him log that it was returned.

Then when you get low on stock, you can have him go through them at that time and use those returns as your last available stock to ship.

Since you said you aren't getting many returns, the most this person would have should be around 10-20 pairs??

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
^^ Those are two different visas

EB5 --> 500k - 1 Million --> Instant residency
E-2 --> About $100k-$150k (No set amount, but people report that this amount got them the visa) --> Unlimited visa renewals as long as the business is still going

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Vick,

You should find a friend in the US to handle your return. If not, for any other reason than to make your customers ship the sunglasses somewhere. That would alleviate your concerns of people making fake unsatisfied claims. Then you just ship the customer a replacement once your US friend verifies that they received the sunglasses. It's up to you if you want to make that friend inspect them, but I would just have him log that it was returned.

Then when you get low on stock, you can have him go through them at that time and use those returns as your last available stock to ship.

Since you said you aren't getting many returns, the most this person would have should be around 10-20 pairs??

Interesting idea.

I guess the issue with this idea is trust. But, my wife's parent live in Florida for 6 months of the year, maybe that might be a temp solution, till something better is in place.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
^^ Those are two different visas

EB5 --> 500k - 1 Million --> Instant residency
E-2 --> About $100k-$150k (No set amount, but people report that this amount got them the visa) --> Unlimited visa renewals as long as the business is still going

This guy mentions as low as 15k. > http://legalservicesincorporated.com/203/
Seems wrong to me though. I'll consult a lawyer.

Also, pardon my knowledge on this matter. But for some reason I though I had to pay the Gov this amount of money, but really this money is all in the business, correct?

Not sure how this works. More reading I must do :)

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
This guy mentions as low as 15k. > http://legalservicesincorporated.com/203/
Seems wrong to me though. I'll consult a lawyer.

Also, pardon my knowledge on this matter. But for some reason I though I had to pay the Gov this amount of money, but really this money is all in the business, correct?

Not sure how this works. More reading I must do :)
The E2, I believe you can use on your business, yes!

EB5, no! There are some "centers" or I can't remember the name that you invest in... 500K for the ones in a troubled industry... 1 million for the rest

I'm not 100% sure about how it works to be honest, as i haven't gone through the process... But i read this stuff a long time ago and this stayed in my mind. A lawyer would be of course best

Good luck!

slodki

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Vick, you have already paid customs/taxes the first time the sunnies entered Canada. I wonder if there is anyone in the customs dept/shipping dept you can speak with to explain the situation and see if you are exempt from paying all these brokerage fees again during product returns.

Essentially you are paying customs/taxes twice for the same product. Is there a certain way you can label the return shipping etc which bypasses this? Maybe have a barcode on the packaging and a list of barcodes each time you pay fees? Then if you get a return you simply cross reference??

The idea of having someone you trust in the US to handle returns sounds good. However, if you decide to ship product back to Canada then you'll be faced with the same problem - having to pay customs/taxes twice on the same product.

What about labeling as 'gift' for the time being?

Catalyst

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Oct 16, 2013
Phoenix, AZ ( Ahwatukee )
We are a seasonal product so with the exception of Christmas sales we are in our dip. I would think your ski and snowboard segment would be crankin though.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
We are a seasonal product so with the exception of Christmas sales we are in our dip. I would think your ski and snowboard segment would be crankin though.

ya, you would think.

im guessing everyone spent there money already for xmas.

everyones bone dry

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
At least you guys in the US/Canada have BlackFriday, selling summer seasonal products sucks during October-December, It starts growing again in January.

But you know what's best? Whatever you did in terms of marketing, if it worked in the winter (higher marketing costs + bad seasonality), will work in the Summer (usually slower season, CPC are lower).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.