Iwokeup
Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGACY MEMBER
MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Since the mantra here @ the TMF Forums is "Provide Value!," I thought that I would pass along some hard won lessons on how to increase your ability to increase your (Slowlane) income while plotting your FastLane exit...You are keeping your steady income going, right? 
1. Have a skill that contributes directly to your employer's bottom line.
2. Develop a skill that few can master and accomplishes 1. Examples would include:
3. Don't be afraid to ask for what you believe that you're worth (As long as you satisfy points 1 and 2).
4. Be willing to take a risk!
5. Always (and I mean always) work to develop and provide VALUE to those around you. What you give out in meaningful value is almost always returned to you in spades. Work hard, smile, ask if there is more to do, and ask how you can help the team/company. Trust me, folks like this are a RARE breed and if you show sincere interest then you will raise your profile and (usually) get given greater and greater responsibility, and faster.
6. Network like crazy! Remember, it's rarely what you know so much as who you know. In the Marines, when given an impossible task and lacking the tools to accomplish something directly, I knew to turn to my Rolodex of contacts (who I'd provided value to previously) for the answers, solutions, etc. It'll make you look like a Rock Star.
============
Thoughts and criticisms welcome.
1. Have a skill that contributes directly to your employer's bottom line.
2. Develop a skill that few can master and accomplishes 1. Examples would include:
- kick a$$ sales skills. I'm talking like selling hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars of product.
- have a specialized skill, such as a physician
3. Don't be afraid to ask for what you believe that you're worth (As long as you satisfy points 1 and 2).
4. Be willing to take a risk!
- In my current situation, too many doctors (and myself two years ago) are so wedded to the idea of safety and a predictable income that they allow hospitals and large, predatory Emergency Medicine groups to commoditize their work.
- So you may have a situation where they are making far less than "market value" for their work because they're afraid of risk.
- What I did was say, "I am willing to risk that I may have to hop from job to job, or spread myself across a few ERs in order to generate a much increased hourly rate." I've sought out places that need me enough to redress the imbalance in remuneration. I've increased my income 50-250% per hour depending on the location and the situation. I've also significantly decreased my working hours and have a lot more control over my life, schedule, and income and am much happier as a result.
- How this applies to you: if you have a marketable skill that increases the bottom line and the Man isn't willing to pay you appropriately...shop around!
5. Always (and I mean always) work to develop and provide VALUE to those around you. What you give out in meaningful value is almost always returned to you in spades. Work hard, smile, ask if there is more to do, and ask how you can help the team/company. Trust me, folks like this are a RARE breed and if you show sincere interest then you will raise your profile and (usually) get given greater and greater responsibility, and faster.
6. Network like crazy! Remember, it's rarely what you know so much as who you know. In the Marines, when given an impossible task and lacking the tools to accomplish something directly, I knew to turn to my Rolodex of contacts (who I'd provided value to previously) for the answers, solutions, etc. It'll make you look like a Rock Star.
============
Thoughts and criticisms welcome.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
