The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

6 Essential Skills for the Non-Technical Entrepreneur. Help Add 4 More

benhebert

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Dec 3, 2012
Traveling
My fastlane is on the internet where I'm a non-technical user meaning I don't know how to code. There are certain skills that you need to be a successful entrepreneur and yes as MJ has shown you can make a lot of money without being a programmer. The truth is many programmers are not entrepreneurs and would rather tinker around all day than build something to make money.

Essential Skills for Non-Tech Entrepreneurs

1.) Wordpress

If you want to build a blog, e-commerce site, service business... whatever it can be done on Wordpress. Free themes, tutorials and cheap developers everywhere. I build 90% of my projects using WP and expect it's popularity to only grow in the upcoming years. (5 min install guide)

2.) SEO

SEO may not be essential to your business (depends on the niche), but having an understanding of Google's algorithm and the process for ranking for keywords can make you a lot of money. You may get traffic that's less targeted than an advertisement, but once you get the ranking it's free. Free money is the best kind.

3.) Copywriting

You have the domain, design, ranking, but if you're copy sucks... traffic will not convert into customers. Whether you're selling an information product or iPhone cases you need clear copy on the page.

4.) Email marketing

Social is exciting and fancy, but nothing beats email. If someone follows you on twitter, you're competing with the hundreds or thousands of other followers and tweets that are updated every second. How many emails do you get a day? 100 tops??? You chance of your message being seen is much greater with email. The money is in the list!

5.) Finance

Out of money is out of business. If you can't manage your cashflow, cut back on your expenses and make shit happen then you're screwed. I recommend bootstrapping at first... justify every dollar spent. You'll learn more from this than if you take 10k and blow it on development, design and some fancy press releases.

6.) Sales

Business is about making sales. Your facebook page, website, phone number and smiling face are all there to make sales. No sales = no business. Logos are cool, twitter followers are cool but SALES ARE THE COOLEST.

I like to think that I'm an expert at these things, but the truth is I'm not :bgh: . Everyday though I wake up and read a little more, network with people, write and work until my eyes burn. I'll get it one day and hope you all do the same.

What skills would you add to the list? Can we get to 10?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
#7) CSS -- This will help you modify designs of your Wordpress or any other CMS that you utilize.

#8) Social Media / Relationship building -- "It's not what you know but who" truly has some validity. Knowing the right people can get you in some doors that never would otherwise be open!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.