The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

50 Fastlane Principles To Live By

Anything related to matters of the mind
D

DeletedUser394

30 Fastlane Principles To Live By

I've been rereading a few issues of success magazine and had the idea to make a list of all the things that aid in traveling the fastlane or just towards having a successful life. This way when we get a full list, it can act like a checklist that we can use in our day to day actions. I'll start it off. (I searched and haven't found a similar list, I may be wrong).

1. Anti-Procrastination

Stay away from the dreaded P-word. Remember, putting things off only slows down your success.

2. Empathy

If you don't understand your customers, how can you know what they want?

3. Optimism

People who say "no" don't know what you are capable of achieving.

4. Keep a Journal/Log Book

A life not documented is one that won't be remembered. You can refer to your Journal from time to time to see how you've progressed...or how you've procrastinated.

5. Identify your goals.

Until they're put on paper, they are only dreams.

Let's see what you come up with:fastlane::banana::icon_super:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
2. Empathy

This is an important idea that is often overlooked in the 90% of sm. biz that fail b/c in order to overcome objections you need to understand the needs/desires of your customers(moreso than your own!)... pretty much in order to convince someone to agree with you, you have to see things from their point of view instead of forcing yourself on them.

And oh yea-

6. Work smarter not harder.

Hard work is necessary, but it's like banging your head against a brick wall and trying to knock it down, the smarter alternative is using a hammer and requires less work or for a real-life example is trying to solve a coding issue for a webpage by trial and error instead of using the proper resources to solve the issue... both require effort and both can lead to the solution, but the latter will most likely get you there first.

ramy98

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 1, 2007
Florida
Time & Your health are the most valuable things...

Eat proper meals, get exercise.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Learn to listen and listen well. Most people just wait to talk. How can you tell if you are a good listener? At your next dinner party or first date, ask yourself if you left the meeting knowing more about other people, or did they learn everything about you? ...Listening takes practice, and is the foundation to becoming good in sales.

Throw away your ego. Think starting or running a business is glamorous? It isn't. The entrepreneurial world really doesn't care about your formal education, how valued of an employee you were or how much you are used to making an hour. You've gotta be willing to do things that are "beneath" you.

Get organized. The more organized you are the more success you can handle. Down the road you will want to delegate tasks. Those tasks will be hard to delegate if you don't know what they are or how they need to be done.

Great thread. ++rep

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
11. Ideas are a dime a dozen, action is priceless!

A lot of advice we get is nothing new, but usually isn't something we readily think of. Anyone can come up with a great idea, most do, but the difference between the thinkers and the doers is just that, the action to implement and follow-through.

PC60756

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Feb 10, 2009
Midland, NC
I feel #11. "Ideas are a dime a dozen. Action is priceless." I find myself overthinking about ways to make money and don't think enough about how to implement the ideas I come up with. Thanks for the post!

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Unfortunately I still "resemble" that concept, in fact in my sales job I see those around me who are having success just doing it, while I have been having trouble overthinking myself, I think it has to do with spending less time here and not quite having the same motivation I had a couple weeks ago.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Get yourself a team who have total responsibility for Finance, Communication, Legal and Product/Service development.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
No one ever got rich laying on the couch watching American Idol, Lost, and 24.

MrPink

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Feb 26, 2008
Toledo, OH
14. Scalability: You are not fast lane if your pay is directly related to the number of hours you work. For example) If you are getting paid 8/hr or 125/hr you are forever limited by the number of hours in a day. In addition, you must always keep working to insure this income channel is open. Look for a business or system that allows you to unlink these two factors.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Throw away your ego. Think starting or running a business is glamorous? It isn't. The entrepreneurial world really doesn't care about your formal education, how valued of an employee you were or how much you are used to making an hour. You've gotta be willing to do things that are "beneath" you.

The toilets still need to be cleaned... :smxD:

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
No one ever got rich laying on the couch watching American Idol, Lost, and 24.

Well thank god I don't watch Lost :p

But TV is starting to get back in the routine, a bad habit I need to break :fryingpan:

White8

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 6, 2007
Salem, OR

But TV is starting to get back in the routine, a bad habit I need to break :fryingpan:

It depends on what you watch. I watch "How it's Made" on Discovery and have learned how several products are manufactured...

ocean

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Sep 2, 2007
California
24 seems to give me the pick-up I need, I love his focused energy on getting the job done and ignoring the trivial.

That and Damages seems to get the mind working on strategy and looking deeper into situations.

I also love documentaries and biographies, like the Benjamin Franklin or Alexander Hamilton Biographies on PBS. Seeing what others went through to get where you want to be is encouraging. Or learning about a particular subject that is useful to your business. But beware, some documentaries are more filler than actual substance. Make sure you're really learning something.

So I guess I'd add #15 as:

You can't work 24/7. Everyone needs some R&R to stay in the fight. IF you are going to watch TV or do some other recreational activity, MAKE IT COUNT. It should energize you, get your mind working, or educate you. Preferably all three.

D

DeletedUser394

Bump. Surely we can get more than 15 now that there are more members!!!

#16 _____________________________ anyone?

x9vjzs098u123rnl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 23, 2009
USA

LOST is probably the best TV show I've ever seen, ever. It's the only show I watch regularly besides Numb3rs. And since it's on the TiVo, I get to fast forward through commercials. So 1.5 hours of TV/week, not so bad...

falb

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 14, 2010
we see what is working and what is not by asking ??? and doing something about the things that are not. frank

ForestL

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 6, 2008
Mesa, Arizona
17. Don't try to do it all...... become an expert in the field you choose don't spread your money
and your mind in to many directions. Work on one thing until you have exhausted all avenues, if it truly doesn't work. Put all your fight in to something else.

hogz

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 15, 2010
18. Be persistent. Success is standing up one more time than you fall down. Sometimes when we put in a little more time continuing something, it makes a big difference.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
19. Thou shalt seek financial literacy -- money systems can't be operated or accrued by financial illiterates, and that does NOT mean "when I can afford it, I'll hire a financial planner." Literacy is insurance for those who opt others to direct their investments.

osarha

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 6, 2012
20.Some people dream of success while others wake up and work hard at it.
Alot of people have brilliant ideas, but just a small percentage of them actually implement their ideas; That's why the road to SUCCESS isn't crowded.

D

DeletedUser2

22. Discover Leverage sooner
Other peoples time, other peoples expertiese, other peoples money, other peoples resources, other peoples skills.

23. Discover Delegation
you will never be able to do it all, and the more you do the less you can do of what your really good at.

24. You are your best tool,
Sharpen this every day, learn something new, overcome your fears, teach yourself, improve your self,
update your old beliefs, anything that can improve you as a tool

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
25. Think Big, act small. Seems like a see a lot of people think big and then never act. Thinking big doesn't pay bills, but coupled with small actions done on a regular basis towards one goal can move mountains.

26. Get a mentor. Find people who are doing what you want to be doing successfully and take their advice.

27. Don't let fear of making mistakes keep you from moving forward. Many people confuse making mistakes with riding a learning curve. There is a learning curve to everything, and there really is no short cut around it. A mistake is only made if you keep hitting the same bumps in the learning curve and not changing your approach.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 7, 2012
28. "If you risk nothing, You risk everything."

Make a conscious effort every day to step outside of your comfort zone. We'd all like to stay at home, do nothing and still make bank but unfortunately for 99% of us that isn't going to happen without work first! The first step in that direction is constantly push the envelope and the bounds of your comfort zone. Watch your confidence in both yourself and your business grow overnight as a result.

Mike A.B.

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 19, 2011
Amsterdam, Holland
I Know this isn't my thread but I have composed a small overview for what we have so far. Oh and I have added one!

Ryan Great thread! (AGAIN)

1. Anti-Procrastination

Stay away from the dreaded P-word. Remember, putting things off only slows down your success.

2. Empathy

3. Optimism

People who say "no" don't know what you are capable of achieving.

4. Keep a Journal/Log Book

A life not documented is one that won't be remembered. You can refer to your Journal from time to time to see how you've progressed...or how you've procrastinated.

5. Identify your goals.

Until they're put on paper, they are only dreams.

6. Work smarter not harder.

Hard work is necessary, but it's like banging your head against a brick wall and trying to knock it down, the smarter alternative is using a hammer and requires less work or for a real-life example is trying to solve a coding issue for a webpage by trial and error instead of using the proper resources to solve the issue... both require effort and both can lead to the solution, but the latter will most likely get you there first.

7. Time & Your health are the most valuable things...

Eat proper meals, get exercise.

8. Learn to listen and listen well. Most people just wait to talk. How can you tell if you are a good listener? At your next dinner party or first date, ask yourself if you left the meeting knowing more about other people, or did they learn everything about you? ...Listening takes practice, and is the foundation to becoming good in sales.

9. Throw away your ego.
Think starting or running a business is glamorous? It isn't. The entrepreneurial world really doesn't care about your formal education, how valued of an employee you were or how much you are used to making an hour. You've gotta be willing to do things that are "beneath" you.

10. Get organized. The more organized you are the more success you can handle. Down the road you will want to delegate tasks. Those tasks will be hard to delegate if you don't know what they are or how they need to be done.

11. Ideas are a dime a dozen, action is priceless!

A lot of advice we get is nothing new, but usually isn't something we readily think of. Anyone can come up with a great idea, most do, but the difference between the thinkers and the doers is just that, the action to implement and follow-through.

12. Get yourself a team who have total responsibility for Finance, Communication, Legal and Product/Service development.

13. No one ever got rich laying on the couch watching American Idol, Lost, and 24.

14. Scalability: You are not fast lane if your pay is directly related to the number of hours you work. For example) If you are getting paid 8/hr or 125/hr you are forever limited by the number of hours in a day. In addition, you must always keep working to insure this income channel is open. Look for a business or system that allows you to unlink these two factors.

15. You can't work 24/7. Everyone needs some R&R to stay in the fight. IF you are going to watch TV or do some other recreational activity, MAKE IT COUNT. It should energize you, get your mind working, or educate you. Preferably all three.

16. We see what is working and what is not by asking questions and doing something about the things that are not.

17. Don't try to do it all...... become an expert in the field you choose don't spread your money
and your mind in to many directions. Work on one thing until you have exhausted all avenues, if it truly doesn't work. Put all your fight in to something else.

18. Be persistent. Success is standing up one more time than you fall down. Sometimes when we put in a little more time continuing something, it makes a big difference.

19. Thou shalt seek financial literacy -- money systems can't be operated or accrued by financial illiterates, and that does NOT mean "when I can afford it, I'll hire a financial planner." Literacy is insurance for those who opt others to direct their investments.

20. Always reply to "no" with "why not?". From my own experience I can say you'll be amazed at the results when you take away the negative option.

21.Some people dream of success while others wake up and work hard at it.
Alot of people have brilliant ideas, but just a small percentage of them actually implement their ideas; That's why the road to SUCCESS isn't crowded.

22. Discover Leverage sooner
Other peoples time, other peoples expertiese, other peoples money, other peoples resources, other peoples skills.

23. Discover Delegation

you will never be able to do it all, and the more you do the less you can do of what your really good at.

24. You are your best tool,

Sharpen this every day, learn something new, overcome your fears, teach yourself, improve your self,
update your old beliefs, anything that can improve you as a tool

25. Think Big, act small. Seems like a see a lot of people think big and then never act. Thinking big doesn't pay bills, but coupled with small actions done on a regular basis towards one goal can move mountains.

26. Get a mentor. Find people who are doing what you want to be doing successfully and take their advice.

27. Don't let fear of making mistakes keep you from moving forward.
Many people confuse making mistakes with riding a learning curve. There is a learning curve to everything, and there really is no short cut around it. A mistake is only made if you keep hitting the same bumps in the learning curve and not changing your approach.

28. "If you risk nothing, You risk everything."

Make a conscious effort every day to step outside of your comfort zone. We'd all like to stay at home, do nothing and still make bank but unfortunately for 99% of us that isn't going to happen without work first! The first step in that direction is constantly push the envelope and the bounds of your comfort zone. Watch your confidence in both yourself and your business grow overnight as a result.

29. Do what you always did to get what you’ve always gotten. (I hope I spelled this right!)

Limitless

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 19, 2011
30. "Confront fear of failure confront it head on.

Stare at it straight in its feral eye, wrestle with it, master it and master it as best you can. Batter it into submission and harness it into becoming your secret weapon, a goal a scourge to keep you working longer hours than your friends could believe, harder than your friends can comprehend, harder than you ever dreamed you could work. In years to come you will thank that fear, the fear that drove you to achieve what you feel was impossible." -Felix Dennis

I believe this is very important and is what I have struggled with. Think about it many of the reasons why we don’t do the things we must is because of fear of failure. Like in the thread by likwid24 below, all of those reasons root down to fear of failure.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/mi...top-10-reasons-you-will-never-successful.html

Think about this, if you could look into the future and see the outcome of what you want to accomplish with your fastlane biz and saw that you succeeded and became a millionaire, you would drop everything else that you are doing including your gf and get to work without doubt or hesitation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.