The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

5 Marketing Lessons From the Super Bowl's Most Popular Commercials

Marketing, social media, advertising

BenP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jan 17, 2013
Groton, CT
All of those were good but IMO the one ad that utilized "shock value" was the Go Daddy commercial where the hot blonde kissed the young, red faced kid - for what seemed like forever.

Does it make sense? No. But it got people talking about it which equals success.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
"Effective" and "watched" are two different things.

Nowadays there seems to be an importance placed on being noticed over actual sales.

I "watched" every Budweiser commercial and their effectiveness in getting me to buy a shitty product remains at absolute ZERO.

When I buy my detergent, the TIDE commercial won't make me change brands.

When I need to buy some electronic gadget, Best Buy won't be on my radar.

Watched? You bet.

Effective in making me buy, or changing my behavior?

Nope.

DavidofMN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 19, 2011
Stillwater, MN
But weren't all of those commercials more brand recognition, "noise" generating spots versus call to action, direct marketing spots? It seems like they run a commercial to be able to say that they ran a Super Bowl ad.

I agree that I won't be buying Budweiser, I do use Tide but not because of the commercial.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
This idea "Well, at least it got people talking about it" is interesting. Aside from those who are interested in the business of marketing, do people really talk about this stuff with other real-life humans? (people on Twitter and in the media don't count)

I mean, if you ever catch me standing around a water cooler talking to other people about Beyonce, or a Taco Bell commercial, PLEASE KILL ME. :smash:

BenP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Jan 17, 2013
Groton, CT
Effective in making me buy, or changing my behavior?

Now that I think about it, unless it's been food (back when I put anything into my mouth) or some shiny gadget, few commercials have been effective in making me buy or change my behavior. Most commercials I see are already well established and are just keeping their "face" out there, or advertising some new product that has no bearing on me. I could care less that you now have a quad-rancho-burrito burger, or whatever.

I simply for the life of me can't remember the last time I saw a commercial that affected me to buy something or change my behavior. Maybe it's because I don't watch TV :cool:

And I especially don't watch the NEWS. (Too much negativity vs. positivity)

do people really talk about this stuff with other real-life humans?

Usually? No. But since this is the Superbowl, it's the exception rather than the rule. In fact, some people watch the Superbowl ONLY for the commercials and could care less about the actual sport. I'm one of them.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I can tell you exactly the last time I responded to a commercial. Doritos taco shells at Taco Bell. I would not have known they existed were it not for the commercial.

People will be remembering the GoDaddy commercial for years. Not exactly sure who the demographic is that it would appeal to, but it has to be amongst the most discussed commercials of the SuperBowl, and certainly will have the longest residual consumer perception. I just don't understand though how that negative connotation that I associate with the commercial, and therein their brand, works to their benefit. Maybe just the brand repetition, creating a conscious reinforcement of them as a domain registrar. It's not like the message of the commercial itself has anything to do with the GoDaddy services suite.

Entourage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 12, 2012
We heard buzz about the super bowl commercial by godaddy even here in Belgium, and I'm not talking about my collegues, but friends who have nothing to do with advertising yet share it out of hilarity. I would disagree though MJ, even though it might not bring you to action immediately, if I need a domain name in the future, godaddy will be the first website that pops up in my head.

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
You have to be aware of a product before you can buy it. Back when I was a noob and just wanted to register my first domain, I believe I went to GoDaddy before I even ran a "best domain registrar" search. Being at the forefront of your mind like that as the most visible provider in their industry is probably pretty valuable.

One thing I've always wondered about is that GoDaddy seems a lot smaller than the typical Superbowl advertiser, and they've been doing this for years. I never would have guessed that the Superbowl TV audience would coincide all that much with the customer base of a domain registrar. Beer, chips, soda etc. seem like logical fits - but domains?

Entourage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 12, 2012
You have to be aware of a product before you can buy it. Back when I was a noob and just wanted to register my first domain, I believe I went to GoDaddy before I even ran a "best domain registrar" search. Being at the forefront of your mind like that as the most visible provider in their industry is probably pretty valuable.

One thing I've always wondered about is that GoDaddy seems a lot smaller than the typical Superbowl advertiser, and they've been doing this for years. I never would have guessed that the Superbowl TV audience would coincide all that much with the customer base of a domain registrar. Beer, chips, soda etc. seem like logical fits - but domains?

Entrepreneurism is becoming a trend now-adays. And not sure if you've seen their other commercial, but they promote entrepreneurism with their company. By showing 4 different people on 4 different places in the world (think india, afghanistan, the US and germany) talking about the same idea to their wives and how they shouldn't worry about someone stealing it because it's original. The exact same idea!!

"Register it, JUST incase!" - (or something like that :D)

the consumer is becoming more internet-aware, from entrepreneurism to personal blogs, and I love how GODADDY is riding the wave.

In their other campaign where they let a nerd kiss a beauty, they simply work on shock factor. They're not selling domainnames in that campaign, hell, you don't even THINK about domainnames and hosting after you see the commercial. But it shocks you, and you sure as hell remember the name GODADDY.

We're doing something similar (ofcourse not Super Bowl scale) over here. Where we're letting a woman with huge tits and a big a$$ horse mask walk through a train while undressing with each cabin she passes by, until she's completely naked and walks out of the train with 500 other people, yet stands out in a crowd. Coupled with a great soundtrack, I can assure you that even if I don't tell you what it is we're selling, when the need for you is there, you'll buy from us.

And this is why I LOVE advertising!

SportsFan438

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Feb 24, 2012
One thing I've always wondered about is that GoDaddy seems a lot smaller than the typical Superbowl advertiser

The Superbowl is the only time I see GoDaddy advertisement so I would imagine that a large majority of their marketing budget goes into their one superbowl ad each year, oppose to the other companies who run their ads everywhere and have a much larger budget.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.