The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

34 year old CPA, CFP banker turned entrepreneur

Dufresne

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 5, 2018
First, I have to say that Millionaire Fastlane changed my life! And I'm half way through Unscripted (taking a break tonight to hopefully watch the Pens win game 5) and loving every word! As the title of this intro states, I am a CPA, CFP working at one of the largest banks in the country where I manage wealthy people's money. I don't say this to brag, but rather to confess that what may appear as prestige is nothing more than pure misery! The cushy salary, the benefits, perks, etc. are merely the slimy tentacles of a massive, ocean dwelling succubus! I've been reading book after book over the past few years and it wasn't until I came upon Fastlane, which was referenced on one of my favorite podcasts EO Fire (Simon Sineks' Start With Why was another book that helped immensely), that my perspective changed.

Sorry for the mild rant. I had to get it out there and ensure anyone with an inkling of entrepreneurial DNA never considers becoming a banker, but I guess if you're on this forum, that shouldn't be an issue. To bring everyone up to speed, my last day at the bank is June 22nd, at which point I will be starting a new position working for a start-up (I've read enough of Unscripted and yes, this IS a true start-up, albeit with small investments from outsiders, high burn-rate and located in a small town in PA) while I continue to work on building my online consulting business and podcast on the side. I'll be taking a considerable haircut to the tune of over $20k/year and lose several benefits. My wife thinks I'm nuts for giving up a nice bonus and six-figure base salary and my Dad, a business owner himself, secretly doesn't want me to succeed in earning more than he does. And honestly, I couldn't be more excited! I've spent 12 years trying to figure out what the hell I want in life and why, after all of my achievements, I'm still unhappy and depressed. I have no idea what will come of the start-up or my own business, but I know I'm at my best with my back to the wall, ships burned and ready to charge!

MJ,

I've emailed you personally and want to say again...THANK YOU. Please continue to write and share your ideas and perspectives on entrepreneurship.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
First, I have to say that Millionaire Fastlane changed my life! And I'm half way through Unscripted (taking a break tonight to hopefully watch the Pens win game 5) and loving every word! As the title of this intro states, I am a CPA, CFP working at one of the largest banks in the country where I manage wealthy people's money. I don't say this to brag, but rather to confess that what may appear as prestige is nothing more than pure misery! The cushy salary, the benefits, perks, etc. are merely the slimy tentacles of a massive, ocean dwelling succubus! I've been reading book after book over the past few years and it wasn't until I came upon Fastlane, which was referenced on one of my favorite podcasts EO Fire (Simon Sineks' Start With Why was another book that helped immensely), that my perspective changed.

Sorry for the mild rant. I had to get it out there and ensure anyone with an inkling of entrepreneurial DNA never considers becoming a banker, but I guess if you're on this forum, that shouldn't be an issue. To bring everyone up to speed, my last day at the bank is June 22nd, at which point I will be starting a new position working for a start-up (I've read enough of Unscripted and yes, this IS a true start-up, albeit with small investments from outsiders, high burn-rate and located in a small town in PA) while I continue to work on building my online consulting business and podcast on the side. I'll be taking a considerable haircut to the tune of over $20k/year and lose several benefits. My wife thinks I'm nuts for giving up a nice bonus and six-figure base salary and my Dad, a business owner himself, secretly doesn't want me to succeed in earning more than he does. And honestly, I couldn't be more excited! I've spent 12 years trying to figure out what the hell I want in life and why, after all of my achievements, I'm still unhappy and depressed. I have no idea what will come of the start-up or my own business, but I know I'm at my best with my back to the wall, ships burned and ready to charge!

MJ,

I've emailed you personally and want to say again...THANK YOU. Please continue to write and share your ideas and perspectives on entrepreneurship.
It's nice to see another CPA from PA in this board. Curious what area you're in?

Best of luck on the start-up, keep us updated on how it goes.

Dufresne

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 5, 2018
It's nice to see another CPA from PA in this board. Curious what area you're in?

Best of luck on the start-up, keep us updated on how it goes.
Late reply, sorry! Likewise re: PA CPA. Located in the Northwest.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, totally missed your introduction the first time around. My bad! So how's it going?

Dufresne

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 5, 2018
Wow, totally missed your introduction the first time around. My bad! So how's it going?
Super rough start and almost didn't happen! All good now, thankfully. I've continued working to save some extra cash (And minimize burn rate) before my OFFICIAL Oct. 1 start date. Developing marketing and content strategy in the meantime while helping out with web copy and design. Will share more in a month once I'm free from the bank and on the right side of #Unscripted ! Thanks MJ!

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mr.Business

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Oct 3, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Super rough start and almost didn't happen! All good now, thankfully. I've continued working to save some extra cash (And minimize burn rate) before my OFFICIAL Oct. 1 start date. Developing marketing and content strategy in the meantime while helping out with web copy and design. Will share more in a month once I'm free from the bank and on the right side of #Unscripted ! Thanks MJ!

Cheers!

It is now October 2019- how is your startup going?
Are you free from the bank?
Are you on the right side of Unscripted ?

Dufresne

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 5, 2018
Still plugging away. Have been able to earn some extra cash consulting as a virtual cfo fro small businesses so that’s helped. Had a falling out with my business partner but trying to stay positive and continue moving forward.

Love this forum, and the accountability. Thanks for checking in.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...